In the market for a new headset (Off-Topic)

by Zero @, Florida, Tuesday, January 02, 2018, 13:16 (2299 days ago)

So after about 2 or 3 years, my Turtle Beach XO7's are getting pretty used and they've been discontinued, so a replacement is basically out of the question unless I want to go refurbished, but I'd rather not do that again. Seeing as reviews on Amazon and all that are basically useless to me because they don't provide the answers I'm looking for, I figured I would ask you all here.

I'm trying to look for a headset with comparable sound quality and versatility. Something that can simulate surround sound through stereo channels rather well, sounds exactly the same on both console and PC, sounds almost the same as the source material as it's supposed to sound, and only requires a single 3.5mm jack or something that comes with a 2 jack converter. A short (about 4-5ft) braided cable would be nice, but not exactly necessary. I'm also trying to keep it within a $100-$150 price range if at all possible because they're going to break eventually regardless and I don't want to be out a ton of money.

Some research has basically narrowed it down to about 2 or 3 choices, but I'm not quite sure what kind of quality audio you all recommend. So far I've narrowed it down to either the GSP 300 from Sennheiser or the Cloud Alpha from HyperX or maybe the RIG 600LX from Plantronics, though I'm not too sure about that one.

If any of you have got any recommendations or any reviews for the ones I've been thinking about, that would be great to hear because trying to find a good all around headset sucks when you can't actually try them out before you buy.

I love my HyperX.

by breitzen @, Kansas, Tuesday, January 02, 2018, 13:27 (2299 days ago) @ Zero

- No text -

In the market for a new headset

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Tuesday, January 02, 2018, 13:37 (2299 days ago) @ Zero

I’m using the Sennheiser PC 360, which is the same as the Game One and they are a very solid headset. One potential up or downside is that they are open back. My Hyper X headset died, but they were pretty decent too.

Why not Astros?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, January 02, 2018, 13:39 (2299 days ago) @ Zero

- No text -

FWIW, I didn't like the A40

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, January 02, 2018, 14:53 (2299 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Sound was good, but the headset itself was too heavy and the ear cups too small for me. I had an arrangement to give my Sennheiser Game to my father while I kept the A40 and MixAmp, but within a week I took the Sennheiser back.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, January 02, 2018, 15:08 (2299 days ago) @ ZackDark

Sound was good, but the headset itself was too heavy and the ear cups too small for me. I had an arrangement to give my Sennheiser Game to my father while I kept the A40 and MixAmp, but within a week I took the Sennheiser back.

Either I have small ears or you have big ones! I look like this with my Astros on:

[image]

by TheeChaos @, Tuesday, January 02, 2018, 15:30 (2299 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Explains the whining!

Just kidding, but I had to!

SteelSeries Arctis 7 is earning kudos.

by DEEP_NNN, Tuesday, January 02, 2018, 13:52 (2299 days ago) @ Zero

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/best/by-usage/gaming

I don't know the USA cost.

If it were me, I'd being throwing out the wireless part.

Dolby Atmos for headsets is a $10-$15 XBOX option. It has been working great for me in D2, Titanfall 2 and PUBG for Xbox. I don't believe those games have a Dolby Atmos credit but man it's better than straight stereo or or Windows Sonic.

In PUBG, I could literally hear people behind me and above too.

+1 for Dolby Atmos

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, January 02, 2018, 14:09 (2299 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

Dolby Atmos for headsets is a $10-$15 XBOX option. It has been working great for me in D2, Titanfall 2 and PUBG for Xbox. I don't believe those games have a Dolby Atmos credit but man it's better than straight stereo or or Windows Sonic.

Even if a game doesn't support Atmos (full 3D sound), it'll still mix 5.1 and 7.1 arguably better than the headphone amps most gaming headphones come with.

I rock Astro A50s right now and love them even though I've turned off the surround for the Atmos. If I were buying new headphones I wouldn't bother getting wireless, I'd plug into the controller or my PC (with a nice stereo amp), and just get solid headphones.

+1 for Dolby Atmos

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, January 02, 2018, 17:31 (2298 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Even if a game doesn't support Atmos (full 3D sound), it'll still mix 5.1 and 7.1 arguably better than the headphone amps most gaming headphones come with.

I rock Astro A50s right now and love them even though I've turned off the surround for the Atmos. If I were buying new headphones I wouldn't bother getting wireless, I'd plug into the controller or my PC (with a nice stereo amp), and just get solid headphones.

That's my problem right now. I've got fantastic headphones (AKG Q701) that have an incredible soundstage. I've got them wired through an amp and the mixamp to get the voice channel through a modmic. Cody (pictured below) whined about the distortion in my voice.
[image]

So I'm rethinking my set up. I'm thinking about using a USB sound card for the mic so it bypasses the mix amp (that seems to eliminate the distortion).

I'm also thinking about getting a DAC to replace the mixamp (Astro doesn't make the one that works with both consoles anymore). It's all very complicated.

I was a big Astro A40 fanboy until I wasn't. They would work great, and then chat would get fiddly. I bought numerous replacement cords. When the plastic on the headset broke, I ditched it.

I'm interested in SteelSeries and a new Rig model because of their flexibility, but that soundstage, man....

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread