I leave home for a few days and look what happens (DBO)

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Tuesday, September 10, 2013, 19:32 (3874 days ago)

Avatars, WTF, when did this happen? Seriously, when did it happen, it looks like it was about 5 days ago but IDK. Our Fearless Leader said never would it ever happen (at least for HBO but I thought also for here) and explained it, and I thought he was right... what happened? Why wasn't there some kind of announcement or at least a thread about it?
also I wasn't away from home, college is starting again, just when I was starting to be able to not have to neglect one forum or the other
also also, I don't like the position of the avatars >_> it could be worse and/or more distracting, but next to the post title/username just seems better

I leave home for a few days and look what happens

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, September 10, 2013, 20:00 (3874 days ago) @ General Vagueness

Well, this current position allows for avatars without almost any drawbacks of usual avatar placement, like distracting attention or moving the text to a less optimal position.

Also, the avatar announcement couldn't've been better, IMO.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, September 10, 2013, 20:28 (3874 days ago) @ ZackDark

Also, the avatar announcement couldn't've been better, IMO.

Aww. I thought I announced it quite nicely :p

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Tuesday, September 10, 2013, 22:17 (3874 days ago) @ ZackDark

Well, this current position allows for avatars without almost any drawbacks of usual avatar placement, like distracting attention or moving the text to a less optimal position.

I find them more distracting like this, I keep looking over to focus on them even when I know what they are.

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, September 11, 2013, 20:42 (3873 days ago) @ General Vagueness

I find them more distracting like this, I keep looking over to focus on them even when I know what they are.

I'd suggest either getting used to them, or writing a greasemonkey script that hides them, because they're here to stay (and in that location).

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Thursday, September 12, 2013, 23:58 (3872 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I'd suggest either getting used to them, or writing a greasemonkey script that hides them, because they're here to stay (and in that location).

OK, but what's the deal with the categories?
I'm starting to get the feeling as soon as I turn the computer off there's going to be a new feature here.

by Claude Errera @, Friday, September 13, 2013, 08:55 (3872 days ago) @ General Vagueness

I'm pretty sure Duncan covered that.

I'm starting to get the feeling as soon as I turn the computer off there's going to be a new feature here.

That seems unlikely - but even if it's true, so what? Are you opposed to new features? Are you unhappy there's active development going on here? I guess I'm not sure where you're coming from.

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Sunday, September 15, 2013, 21:55 (3869 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I'm pretty sure Duncan covered that.

hmm, I guess I didn't see that-- or it's just that I didn't look closely

That seems unlikely - but even if it's true, so what? Are you opposed to new features? Are you unhappy there's active development going on here? I guess I'm not sure where you're coming from.

I wasn't complaining, just indulging in some hyperbole about how you've got my head on a swivel-- I didn't know you had this much change in you.

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Tuesday, September 10, 2013, 20:08 (3874 days ago) @ General Vagueness

Oh my god, your world is crumbling. Maybe you should step away from the internet for a good long while and rethink your priorities.

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Tuesday, September 10, 2013, 22:15 (3874 days ago) @ JDQuackers
edited by General Vagueness, Tuesday, September 10, 2013, 22:18

Oh my god, your world is crumbling. Maybe you should step away from the internet for a good long while and rethink your priorities.

I'm not sure how sarcastic you're being here, if at all. Now that I read this and think about it, though, I realize I forgot to say in the first post that I'm not devastated or mad or even upset, really, I'm mostly surprised and confused.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, September 10, 2013, 20:36 (3874 days ago) @ General Vagueness

Avatars, WTF, when did this happen? Seriously, when did it happen, it looks like it was about 5 days ago but IDK. Our Fearless Leader said never would it ever happen (at least for HBO but I thought also for here) and explained it, and I thought he was right... what happened? Why wasn't there some kind of announcement or at least a thread about it?

There was / is a very large thread about it. The unOfficial Explain Your Avatar Thread

also I wasn't away from home, college is starting again, just when I was starting to be able to not have to neglect one forum or the other

Huh?

also also, I don't like the position of the avatars >_> it could be worse and/or more distracting, but next to the post title/username just seems better

I rather like them where they are. It's unique.

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Tuesday, September 10, 2013, 22:26 (3874 days ago) @ Ragashingo

There was / is a very large thread about it. The unOfficial Explain Your Avatar Thread

I saw that. I was thinking of an official thread. Besides obviously not being that, the first post didn't announce anything, in fact it acted like everyone knew.

Huh?

For a while I'd be behind on one forum or the other because in the time it took me to catch up and respond to one the other one would get ahead. I finally got current on both and college started again.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, September 10, 2013, 22:44 (3874 days ago) @ General Vagueness

I saw that. I was thinking of an official thread. Besides obviously not being that, the first post didn't announce anything, in fact it acted like everyone knew.

Excuse me? My first post very clearly announced the addition of avatars:

Me: It's not often we see change of this magnitude. Not everyday that that a Bungie.Org site moves one step close to the present day internet. Yes, I'm talking about the addition of forum avatars!

And who cares if there wan't a 100% official announcement? Are we the kind of community that has a lot of official announcements? Especially for minor forum additions? I get the feeling that you're just here to complain for complainings sake…

by ncsuDuncan @, Tuesday, September 10, 2013, 23:10 (3874 days ago) @ Ragashingo

And who cares if there wan't a 100% official announcement? Are we the kind of community that has a lot of official announcements?

Official Announcement: Disregard this post.

Return to your bunk and await additional orders. Thoughtcrime does not entail death: thoughtcrime is death.

Consider the following propositions: 'DBO says the earth is flat', 'DBO says that ice is heavier than water' -- train yourself in not seeing or not understanding the arguments that contradict them.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, September 10, 2013, 23:19 (3874 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

I'm sorry, I'm confused. Are we to disregard my post, which you quoted, or all the scary boldness of yours??

by ncsuDuncan @, Tuesday, September 10, 2013, 23:24 (3874 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I'm sorry, I'm confused. Are we to disregard my post, which you quoted, or all the scary boldness of yours??

We apologize for the fault in the announcement. Those responsible have been sacked.

Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretty nasti...

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, September 10, 2013, 23:22 (3874 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

And who cares if there wan't a 100% official announcement? Are we the kind of community that has a lot of official announcements?

Return to your bunk and await additional orders. Thoughtcrime does not entail death: thoughtcrime is death.

Consider the following propositions: 'DBO says the earth is flat', 'DBO says that ice is heavier than water' -- train yourself in not seeing or not understanding the arguments that contradict them.

Um... ice IS heavier than water. Well, some ice, anyway. And some water.

0 degree (celsius) water is denser than pretty much all water above 8 degrees.

Thoughtcrime is good with whipped cream on top.

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Wednesday, September 11, 2013, 18:32 (3873 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I don't like being Mr. Literal, but I'm confused by this comment. Ice is less dense than water (remember, it floats) due to how water molecules arrange themselves when they freeze. One of the few materials that actually expands when it freezes.

http://www.iapws.org/faq1/freeze.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice#Characteristics

Or were you talking about something else?

I'm glad you said it :-D

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, September 11, 2013, 18:40 (3873 days ago) @ Beorn

- No text -

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, September 11, 2013, 20:07 (3873 days ago) @ Beorn

I don't like being Mr. Literal, but I'm confused by this comment. Ice is less dense than water (remember, it floats) due to how water molecules arrange themselves when they freeze. One of the few materials that actually expands when it freezes.

http://www.iapws.org/faq1/freeze.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice#Characteristics

Or were you talking about something else?

Hmm. I wasn't thinking it all the way through. I remembered that water is densest at 4 degrees, and found a page that I THOUGHT showed a density curve... and simply drew a line without thinking about what I was saying. :)

As Emily Litella would say... never mind.

by Hyokin, New York, Thursday, September 12, 2013, 05:50 (3873 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I think you've gone Loftus on us...

Wait a minute. Ice IS water!

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, September 10, 2013, 23:26 (3874 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

- No text -

Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

by kapowaz, Wednesday, September 11, 2013, 16:28 (3873 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

MY MIND IS FULL OF BACON.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Thursday, September 12, 2013, 10:01 (3873 days ago) @ kapowaz

- No text -

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Thursday, September 12, 2013, 23:48 (3872 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Excuse me? My first post very clearly announced the addition of avatars:

Me: It's not often we see change of this magnitude. Not everyday that that a Bungie.Org site moves one step close to the present day internet. Yes, I'm talking about the addition of forum avatars!

I had that typed up, then I looked at the post and changed it, and for some reason I put back like it was or didn't change it more. At some point I missed the last line there (about avatars); I'm sorry.

by ncsuDuncan @, Tuesday, September 10, 2013, 22:49 (3874 days ago) @ General Vagueness

The best voices - voices that truly matter - never allow themselves be heard. This lesson is worth learning again and again.

Forever.

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, September 10, 2013, 22:56 (3874 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

The best voices - voices that truly matter - never allow themselves be heard. This lesson is worth learning again and again.

Forever.

It's definitely a lesson worth learning - but in this case, it WAS announced. By you, no less.

http://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=14156

by ncsuDuncan @, Tuesday, September 10, 2013, 23:10 (3874 days ago) @ Claude Errera

It's definitely a lesson worth learning - but in this case, it WAS announced. By you, no less.

http://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=14156

Wait, people could hear that?!

;)

Either way, Vagueness has made a reasonable point - I've been meaning to make a more formal log of forum updates anyways (as soon as I get this Category list figured out).

Today, Avatars. Tomorrow, Signatures!

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Wednesday, September 11, 2013, 06:52 (3874 days ago) @ General Vagueness

- No text -

You ain't seen nothing yet.

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Tuesday, September 10, 2013, 20:51 (3874 days ago) @ General Vagueness

- No text -

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, September 10, 2013, 21:06 (3874 days ago) @ General Vagueness

The placement is perfect. It doesn't get in the way of reading.

…also, bonus points for using a familiar quote. :)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, September 10, 2013, 23:05 (3874 days ago) @ General Vagueness

- No text -

I love the Avatars.

by Hyokin, New York, Wednesday, September 11, 2013, 11:12 (3874 days ago) @ General Vagueness

But maybe you are just having trouble adjusting to 2005? ;P

I love the Avatars.

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Wednesday, September 11, 2013, 12:18 (3874 days ago) @ Hyokin

Your avatar makes everything you say more adorable.

Oh you!

by Hyokin, New York, Wednesday, September 11, 2013, 14:43 (3873 days ago) @ Grizzlei

- No text -

My work here is done

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, September 12, 2013, 18:47 (3872 days ago) @ Hyokin

- No text -

-Shakes fist- ZAAAAAACK!!!

by Hyokin, New York, Thursday, September 12, 2013, 19:26 (3872 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread