Where are you now? (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, January 16, 2018, 15:58 (2291 days ago)

My Destiny 2 fireteam now engages in different nightly rituals. For me and one friend, we Fortnite like there's no tomorrow (we won a squads game last night as a duo!). Another of our friends is playing Diablo 3, which makes me die a little inside every time I see him on. Our fourth hasn't logged on in a month. The fifth is apparently ensconced in his Nintendo Switch, which makes me both jealous of his amazing Mario and Zelda times, and also sad that he's not in chat with us. And the sixth has been playing Madden. And he doesn't even *like* sports.

Where are you folks now? Still beating the Destiny 2 Drum? Exploring other parts unknown?

Last night I re-installed The Division because I've heard it's much improved. I'm gonna verify those claims tonight. Dark times we live in.

Where are you now?

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, January 16, 2018, 16:19 (2291 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I launched Destiny 2 for the first time in two weeks or so. I did enough events to get enough FWC tokens to turn in for an engram. Then realized I wasn’t actually having fun and turned it off.

It’s not a problem with Destiny. I think I’m just less interested in that type of game now. I thought I wanted to care about earning new gear, but I currently super don’t care. I was all excited to earn the FWC ornaments for my Hunter because they look cool, but grinding out Destination activities is like opposite of fun for me right now. I wish they’d go back to the old faction system so when I actually do play, I can still be building rep for drops, rather than forcing it to limited time events that turn the game into a chore.

Anyway. I’ve been home sick for the past two days. I played quite a bit of Assassin’s Creed Origins yesterday. Today I’ve been jumping around, and nothing is doing it for me so far. Started Bloodborne, but a few things are preventing me from engaging with it. The first is that I’m planning on jumping into Monster Hunter next week, and there’s no way I’ll finish Bloodborne by then. The other is that Dark Souls remastered is coming in a few months, and I need a significant break between those games. I never finished the first Dark Souls, and I’m really looking forward to going back to it, so I think Bloodborne will have to wait.

I fired up the Telltale Batman game since it was free on PS+ a while back, but I didn’t even make it through the menu before I realized that I fundamentally just don’t care enough to play it.

I lost my Zelda save on Switch, so I started that again today and might keep going through that.

It’s a weird time that comes around every so often where no game really feels right at the moment.

Where are you now?

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Tuesday, January 16, 2018, 16:20 (2291 days ago) @ Kahzgul

• Busy with work & not even wanting to do anything other than vegg out in front of netflix for a bit.
• Playing a little Super Mario World with my kids.

That's the entirety of my free time. I want more gaming, but I just haven't got up the motivation to go turn on the ps4.

Where are you now?

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, January 16, 2018, 16:21 (2291 days ago) @ Kahzgul

[image]

[image]

Where are you now?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, January 16, 2018, 18:08 (2291 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

[image]

ZOMG! have you guys played Bioshock Infinite?! There's always a man! Always a lighthouse! Bring us the girl and wipe away the debt! Did anyone else feel weird tying Anna's corset in first person?!

No, I’ve tied enough family and friends’ corsets.

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, January 16, 2018, 23:13 (2291 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

I got paid to do that for a short time.

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 00:34 (2290 days ago) @ Harmanimus

- No text -

Where are you now?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, January 16, 2018, 16:32 (2291 days ago) @ Kahzgul

My Destiny 2 fireteam now engages in different nightly rituals. For me and one friend, we Fortnite like there's no tomorrow (we won a squads game last night as a duo!). Another of our friends is playing Diablo 3, which makes me die a little inside every time I see him on. Our fourth hasn't logged on in a month. The fifth is apparently ensconced in his Nintendo Switch, which makes me both jealous of his amazing Mario and Zelda times, and also sad that he's not in chat with us. And the sixth has been playing Madden. And he doesn't even *like* sports.

Where are you folks now? Still beating the Destiny 2 Drum? Exploring other parts unknown?

Last night I re-installed The Division because I've heard it's much improved. I'm gonna verify those claims tonight. Dark times we live in.

No dark times here. I try to make a point of ignoring the negativity I see on the internet. (Some of it seeps in here I guess, but I still do my best to ignore it.)

Love D2. The quality of life improvements mostly overcome some deficits like less interesting gear (and honestly the fact that it doesn't cause me the anxiety about "keeping up" like D1 did greatly improves the quality of my REAL life). I continue to play it when I can. Mostly raids, which remain the most fun I've had playing video games.

I do admit that I am perusing my list of games. Thinking about playing Battlefield 1. Still want to play Wolfenstein: the New Order so I can play the new one (but I'm a little worried the new one might take itself too seriously).

I am curious about the Division based on some recent reevaluations I've read. Regardless, I think I just want to buy it cheap, play the campaign with a buddy or two, then bow out of the progression stuff. Don't have time for two "lifestyle" games.

Where are you now?

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, January 16, 2018, 19:01 (2291 days ago) @ Kermit

The campaign of The Division is fantastic. Then (when last I played, over a year ago), the whole game takes a turn towards every enemy is a bullet sponge town once you finish the campaign. But up until that point, the experience was awesome.

Where are you now?

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, January 16, 2018, 23:27 (2291 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Most of the balancing has had change ups, especially damage/health values. I’ve heard mixed opinions on whether that is benefit to the game.

Where are you now?

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 11:05 (2290 days ago) @ Harmanimus

Most of the balancing has had change ups, especially damage/health values. I’ve heard mixed opinions on whether that is benefit to the game.

Played last night for a bit and it was pretty dang fun.

Where are you now?

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Tuesday, January 16, 2018, 20:11 (2291 days ago) @ Kermit

I do admit that I am perusing my list of games. Thinking about playing Battlefield 1. Still want to play Wolfenstein: the New Order so I can play the new one (but I'm a little worried the new one might take itself too seriously).

I can say without question, that it does not.

Without getting spoliery, there are two, very "OH MY GOD THAT JUST HAPPENED" moments that if you suspend disbelief, are kinda neat.

That said, the first one is overall better than the second imo.

+1

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, January 16, 2018, 23:29 (2291 days ago) @ Revenant1988

The New Order takes itself a little more seriously than The New Colossus does. And The Old Blood is also worth checking out, though it is a more traditional story overall relative to the News. By a lot.

Where are you now?

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 06:14 (2290 days ago) @ Revenant1988

I can say without question, that it does not.

Without getting spoliery, there are two, very "OH MY GOD THAT JUST HAPPENED" moments that if you suspend disbelief, are kinda neat.

That said, the first one is overall better than the second imo.

I'm half way (I think?) through the second one and it's amazing so far. They did an amazing job of keeping the feel of the original series (Kill all the Nazi's ) with a story that is damned good. And when I say "story" I mean, the character development is amazing.

...Waframe

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, January 16, 2018, 16:45 (2291 days ago) @ Kahzgul

inb4 Korny, but it does do a lot of stuff just right.

Where are you now?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, January 16, 2018, 16:49 (2291 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Dark times we live in.

It's okay to not be playing a Bungie game 24/7.

Where are you now?

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Thursday, January 18, 2018, 09:23 (2289 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Dark times we live in.

It's okay to not be playing a Bungie game 24/7.

Unpossible.

Working, sleeping, working.

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, January 16, 2018, 22:51 (2291 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Even if Destiny 2 was fantastic I wouldn't have time. That said, I did spend an hour today looking at the best MW-DXing radios I can buy. So that's an hour wasted.

I almost watch Narc and Blackstar play games and argue with Jilly on Sundays, and I run the observatory on Wednesdays for my astronomy club. Beyond that I have no life and do nothing.

Working, sleeping, working.

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 11:07 (2290 days ago) @ Funkmon

Even if Destiny 2 was fantastic I wouldn't have time. That said, I did spend an hour today looking at the best MW-DXing radios I can buy. So that's an hour wasted.

I almost watch Narc and Blackstar play games and argue with Jilly on Sundays, and I run the observatory on Wednesdays for my astronomy club. Beyond that I have no life and do nothing.

I really hope this is temporary for you, friend. There's a difference between what you can lift once and what you can carry all day every day, and no job should expect your one time lift to be an every day effort.

Where are you now?

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, January 16, 2018, 23:40 (2291 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Dark times we live in.

Umm...

Another world, another time, in the age of wonder. A thousand years ago, this land was green and good - until the Crystal cracked.

Anyway. For having dropped two rather large (I would hope generally constructive if critical) essays on my feelings for Des2ny I play it quite a bit. However, I'm playing it more as I did the last half of my time with Dest1ny. It is still the most comfortable shooter on the market, so it gets points there, and I don't feel I have to do any one thing.

But in the rest of my time? Still attempting to massage Genesys to support an action-narrative Destiny setting. Slow progress. Periodic trips in Unexplored and Skyrim on the Switch when I'm tired of regular seating round out most of my time playing games. But it's all short bursts around everything else a new year brings. Like work.

I have Mario+Rabbids queued up and a new copy AC:New Leaf, if that one friend who still plays ever has time available at the same time. MH World and Far Cry 5 are coming up soon, so those will be other diversions.

But I don't think I'll put D2 down. Albeit, I don't really do anything with it on console lately.

Destiny 1.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 00:06 (2290 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Maxiiiine, Maxiiine...Maxiiine...Where are you now?

(sigh)

Anyway...

as the title says, I've been going back to Destiny 1 on good weeks—in fact, I was planning on making a post pleading to bring specialty raids back, for nostalgia's sake. We should get into doing that regularly!

More and more often the strikes have Burns on, and you know how I get. Back in the day it was extremely rare and super talented to have someone finish a Nightfall strike by themselves.

Now I do it almost every week. Just got this today!

As for backlogs, I consider myself lucky to have only 100 games, most of them done.

[image]

These are all the games I hope on having either beaten or made some considerable achievement progress on by the end of January.

I've got a while to go, though! However, I do occasionally check on Destiny 2. Rarely.

Where are you now?

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 05:53 (2290 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I've also been playing Fortnite and always looking for squad friends.

Where are you now?

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 11:13 (2290 days ago) @ ManKitten

If you're on PS4 hit me up. I'm on almost every night starting sometime around 9pm and 11pm PST (more likely to be closer to 11 these days) and then on until around 2 am. My buddy and I play a LOT and we're pretty good; won a round of squads two days ago with only the two of us. So satisfying to take out an entire group of 4.

Kahzgul is my PSN name.

Where are you now?

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 11:48 (2290 days ago) @ Kahzgul

If you're on PS4 hit me up. I'm on almost every night starting sometime around 9pm and 11pm PST (more likely to be closer to 11 these days) and then on until around 2 am. My buddy and I play a LOT and we're pretty good; won a round of squads two days ago with only the two of us. So satisfying to take out an entire group of 4.

Kahzgul is my PSN name.

blurg, im on xbox.

Where are you now?

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 14:45 (2290 days ago) @ ManKitten

Kahzgul is my PSN name.

blurg, im on xbox.

Dang, sorry dude. I wonder if my epic games account would cross-polinate if I downloaded for xbone?

Where are you now?

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Thursday, January 18, 2018, 13:57 (2289 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Kahzgul is my PSN name.

blurg, im on xbox.

Dang, sorry dude. I wonder if my epic games account would cross-polinate if I downloaded for xbone?

It will not. I was reading Epics' FAQ the other day, there is not cross platform function, only cross progression between PS4 and PC.

PUBG

by DEEP_NNN, Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 05:55 (2290 days ago) @ Kahzgul

When not playing D2, I play a lot of PUBG. Even with all of it warts, I am really liking it. I got one Solo Chicken Dinner and a couple of Duo. Gun play is atrocious and I can't kill much. Sneaking around is my forte and had me sitting at the top 10 dinner table many times. I certainly played my $30 worth and none of the content has been denied me.

The over 50-60 gang are still plugging away at D2 Raid and Raid Lair. Twice a week at two hours each. I keep up on my weekly Milestones too, for the most part.

I expect to play more World of Tanks and Titanfall 2 soon.

Not on the PBUG/Fortnight bandwagon

by Durandal, Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 10:20 (2290 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

Tried that a bit with my brother. He likes it, but there's lots of wandering around and tension then suddenly getting shot in the back for no payoff. I don't really "get" it. I much prefer Overwatch or D2.

I've been trying SW:BF2, and sometimes the feel is so awful that I just put it back down.
I may go back and try titanfall 2. My gaming group is looking for new stuff, and they were never into Destiny. I'd like to avoid more COD, but that tends to be the lowest common denominator.

Plus I got a Ordinatus for Christmas that I need to paint. I can't wait for it to be all pretty on the table top and then die turn 1 like my other super heavy's first outing.

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 11:19 (2290 days ago) @ Durandal

Tried that a bit with my brother. He likes it, but there's lots of wandering around and tension then suddenly getting shot in the back for no payoff. I don't really "get" it. I much prefer Overwatch or D2.

I've been trying SW:BF2, and sometimes the feel is so awful that I just put it back down.
I may go back and try titanfall 2. My gaming group is looking for new stuff, and they were never into Destiny. I'd like to avoid more COD, but that tends to be the lowest common denominator.

Plus I got a Ordinatus for Christmas that I need to paint. I can't wait for it to be all pretty on the table top and then die turn 1 like my other super heavy's first outing.

Headphones or surround sound are a must for these games. You need total battlefield awareness to know where footsteps are coming from, if the shots fired were at you or not (From Saving Private Ryan: Pops are outgoing, pings and zips are incoming), and where someone has constructed walls and/or a base. You also need to manage your map position to ensure you're not going to get zoned out in the storm. Your first few games you'll just get crushed, don't sweat it. Leaving and getting a new game takes far less time than matchmaking in destiny.

I strongly recommend just dropping in the middle of a named location near the center of the map, grabbing the first gun you see inside a house, and trying to shoot it out with nearby droppers. This is going to result in your dying a lot, but will also get you good experience finding weapons quickly and using the different guns. After 10-20 practice runs like this, drop along the outside of the map and start playing in earnest. If you're on PS4, I'll gladly sherpa you. I'm on most nights starting between 9pm and 11 pm PST, and I play until around 2 am.

by Durandal, Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 11:22 (2290 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I'm on the Xbox, so sadly no teamups there. While I understand the strategy, the gametype just isn't for me.

Extra Credit has a great video explaining PUBG

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 11:51 (2290 days ago) @ Durandal

A great analysis and pretty much nails why people like/don't like it. I'm happy to play some Fortnite if you want to give it a go sometime. I've even managed to win once solo.

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 12:14 (2290 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

A great analysis and pretty much nails why people like/don't like it. I'm happy to play some Fortnite if you want to give it a go sometime. I've even managed to win once solo.

Wow. That sounds like everything I hate in a game, all wrapped up in one place.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 12:31 (2290 days ago) @ Claude Errera

He describes all of this for thriller movies and I hate thrillers. However I loved PUBG when I played it. And I think the biggest thing that makes a difference in movies/shows as opposed to games is that I'm in control. In movies/shows I usually am smart enough to know when the axe drops and so I'm just sitting in suspense until it actually happens (just get it over with already). In games, there is the same suspense, but I don't know when it's going to happen because if I did, like movies, then I would never die.

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 13:00 (2290 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

He describes all of this for thriller movies and I hate thrillers. However I loved PUBG when I played it. And I think the biggest thing that makes a difference in movies/shows as opposed to games is that I'm in control. In movies/shows I usually am smart enough to know when the axe drops and so I'm just sitting in suspense until it actually happens (just get it over with already). In games, there is the same suspense, but I don't know when it's going to happen because if I did, like movies, then I would never die.

I didn't play Trials for the first 2 years of Destiny's existence because I HATED that feeling of tension. It took a re-examination of my own attitude and goals to get me to give it another try. (Most of the tension in Trials is self-generated; if you don't CARE about the outcome, it's far less stressful.)

The stress in PUBG is external - you can't control other players, or that shrinking playspace, or a host of other things.

No, thanks. I'm good.

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 13:56 (2290 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I didn't play Trials for the first 2 years of Destiny's existence because I HATED that feeling of tension. It took a re-examination of my own attitude and goals to get me to give it another try. (Most of the tension in Trials is self-generated; if you don't CARE about the outcome, it's far less stressful.)

The stress in PUBG is external - you can't control other players, or that shrinking playspace, or a host of other things.

No, thanks. I'm good.

I can't view that video from the office but I think I'm understanding your general vibe. I'm loving Fortnite but are yet to play PUBG, mostly because it does look stressful. If comparing the two, PUBG is a simulator and Fortnite is the arcade version. Fortnite is fun for me because they are quick games, quick learning curve, simple equipment and weapons and even when you have an awesome loadout, you don't have the stress of holding on to it.

And like any other game, the more you play the better you get and figure things out. I probably played 10 games before getting a kill. Now I'm getting 2-4 kills per game and finishing in the top 10 on the reg, with one Victory Royale (and I never craft #humblebrag)

Playing with a partner or a squad is way more fun for all the reasons you would expect, communication, planning, ambushing, defending, cracking wise. It's a fun little time drain with zero investment needed (both financially and effort) but high fun payout.

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 16:34 (2290 days ago) @ ManKitten

No, thanks. I'm good.

I can't view that video from the office but I think I'm understanding your general vibe. I'm loving Fortnite but are yet to play PUBG, mostly because it does look stressful. If comparing the two, PUBG is a simulator and Fortnite is the arcade version. Fortnite is fun for me because they are quick games, quick learning curve, simple equipment and weapons and even when you have an awesome loadout, you don't have the stress of holding on to it.

And like any other game, the more you play the better you get and figure things out. I probably played 10 games before getting a kill. Now I'm getting 2-4 kills per game and finishing in the top 10 on the reg, with one Victory Royale (and I never craft #humblebrag)

Playing with a partner or a squad is way more fun for all the reasons you would expect, communication, planning, ambushing, defending, cracking wise. It's a fun little time drain with zero investment needed (both financially and effort) but high fun payout.

It's interesting, I think that because you have the ability to build ramps and walls as well as destroy them in fortnite, you have more agency and feel more in control over the gameplay than in pubg, where you know you're eventually going to have to open that door and see if there's a trap waiting for you or not. In Pubg you agonize over whether to crest a hill or not, whereas in fortnite you just do it and if you have to build some walls and retreat that's okay, too.

Even so, I freaking LOVE that fortnite's construction options mean I can attack from above while protecting my own flanks (at the risk, of course, of giving away my position). And I can also just blow up a building rather than walk into it through the door and risk an ambush.

by DEEP_NNN, Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 15:24 (2290 days ago) @ Claude Errera

No, thanks. I'm good.

Some of my old friends talk about their heart pounding in those last few moments. I tend to be more of a gradually getting a headache from stress/muscle tension.

For me, this game is just a stopping place. It's kind of like World of Tanks.

You've seen what I've written about not being able to meet Destiny's high skill requirements for content. I can't really change that. PUBG's tension and limits is completely player driven. I can play a whole game to the final 2 and not shoot once. I can pick a fight within seconds of landing die immediately. I have won once Solo and twice in a Duo but the significant thing for me is that I make it into the top 10 very often and top five at about quarter of that. I guess my point is, it is what 'you' make of it. I made it into final 2 today and yesterday. It tells me I will win again, even with some of the best FPS streamers in there with me.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, January 18, 2018, 11:36 (2289 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

No, thanks. I'm good.

Some of my old friends talk about their heart pounding in those last few moments. I tend to be more of a gradually getting a headache from stress/muscle tension.

For me, this game is just a stopping place. It's kind of like World of Tanks.

You've seen what I've written about not being able to meet Destiny's high skill requirements for content. I can't really change that. PUBG's tension and limits is completely player driven. I can play a whole game to the final 2 and not shoot once. I can pick a fight within seconds of landing die immediately. I have won once Solo and twice in a Duo but the significant thing for me is that I make it into the top 10 very often and top five at about quarter of that. I guess my point is, it is what 'you' make of it. I made it into final 2 today and yesterday. It tells me I will win again, even with some of the best FPS streamers in there with me.

What you're describing reminds me a lot of the Spies vs Mercs PvP mode in the Splinter Cell games. It was an objective-based game, which does force a greater level of directed action than PUBG (where you can spend the entire match hiding in a bathroom if you want to), but Spies vs Mercs did accommodate play that ranged from hyper-aggressive to non-confrontational, and everything in between. In other words, it's a game that can be many different things, depending on how you want to play it. My brother and I used to play together all the time, and we made a pretty good team precisely because we were almost playing 2 different games. I was hyper-aggressive to the point of playing like a suicidal maniac, which meant I was good at drawing a lot of attention from the enemy team. But my brother was sneaky AF... he'd get through an entire match without being seen even once, because he put all his efforts towards avoiding contact with the enemy, staying as far away from them as possible, letting me draw all the fire, and quietly completing the objectives. His experience and my experience were totally different, even though we were in the same match and on the same team.

Ugh. I miss Spies vs Mercs so much.

Where are you now?

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 06:36 (2290 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Still playing D2 in small bites. I've been tinkering in my garage most nights. I built a homemade CNC and just fired up a might as well be homemade at this point laser engraver. I want to build my own 4 axis CNC as well and add a rotary table to the laser. After that I'll probably get started on a plasma table.

Where are you now?

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 11:37 (2290 days ago) @ bluerunner

What's a CNC? Your workshop sounds rad.

Computer Numerical Control

by Harmanimus @, Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 12:07 (2290 days ago) @ Kahzgul

It is a device usually used to cut or carve a programmed design.

Computer Numerical Control

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 13:43 (2290 days ago) @ Harmanimus

Yeah. I like milling but I didn't want to spend a ton of money on a mill, and I like building my own stuff just for fun and because it's easier to customize. The CNC is built from electrical conduit and 3D printed parts. The motors and electronics are off the shelf parts that I found cheap online. The software is all freeware and I found some forums with people more computer savy than me that found ways to get it to all work together. It's kinda redneck looking with zip ties and duct tape, but it works. It's also got no safety devices or protections, so things do break and go flying across my garage from time to time. Still, I built it for $500.

The laser is Chinese built. I pretty much bought it for the laser tube and frame, because I'm ripping everything else out and rebuilding it to my tastes. I had the same goal of building one for $500. Most everything is poorly translated English and the software is intended for Chinese users. I've already caught it on fire 3 times. I built the cooling system out of aquarium parts (it didn't come with one), but I need to figure out a better air assist to protect the beam while cutting wood so it doesn't burst into flames. It didn't come with one, and my 3D printed nozzle connected to an aquarium air pump melted during testing. My biggest success so far is engraving on glass without it exploding. Now I need to build a rotary table in it to engrave on bottles.

I have an idea for a 4 axis engraver that I can use to engrave on spheres. I've see people build some that can draw on Christmas ornaments, but I want to engrave on the ornaments without breaking them. That's tricky.

I've got a small homemade paint booth and a detailing area to sand and shape wood as well. All this is lit by LEDs I pulled out of RV awnings. Most of the stuff I make is from scrap or stuff I find for cheap.

When WW3, Zombie/alien invasion happens

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 13:52 (2290 days ago) @ bluerunner
edited by MacAddictXIV, Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 14:06

I need your address. I consider myself a smart person, but a vast majority of my knowledge is with systems that will not exist if we get targeted as a nation :)

One of my favorite questions to ask friends and strangers alike is:
"If we were thrust into a post apocalyptic word, how would you contribute to society?"

Basically, what is your skill sets and knowledge based on? I am a software engineer, so I'm pretty screwed there. But I also love backpacking and am pretty smart intuitively.

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 14:44 (2290 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I need your address. I consider myself a smart person, but a vast majority of my knowledge is with systems that will not exist if we get targeted as a nation :)

One of my favorite questions to ask friends and strangers alike is:
"If we were thrust into a post apocalyptic word, how would you contribute to society?"

Basically, what is your skill sets and knowledge based on? I am a software engineer, so I'm pretty screwed there. But I also love backpacking and am pretty smart intuitively.

I can tell a story and teach people how to swim. That's about all I've got. I guess I know a lot about cooking? But I'm not a great cook.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 14:50 (2290 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I'm an engineer (I design camping equipment) but also grew up on a farm in the backwoods of Arkansas. I learned to weld and work on farm equipment early on, and I've always enjoyed tinkering and repurposing broken machines and scrap. I also camp and backpack a lot, and I like McGuivering my way out of problems when I'm out in the woods.

If you come to my address I won't be there. I would grab my bugout gear and fall back to the farm. We already grow our own fruit and vegetables. Plenty of cows, deer and turkey, plus ponds and a lake stocked with fish. We've got a huge workshop full of just about anything you need. Generators, diesel, and vehicles. Water wells and natural gas wells. Main house sits on a hill with fences all around. And plenty of firepower to hold off those hordes.

I'll take the latter address.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 14:55 (2290 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

Destiny 2 PC

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 08:05 (2290 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I recently acquired a new gaming PC, so I've been putting it through its paces by seeing just how gorgeous it can make Destiny 2 look. I have not been disappointed. I've played the game on an Xbox One X with a 4K, HDR display and I honestly don't notice any difference when going back to my regular Xbox One and 1080P screen, but going from 30 FPS on console to a fairly steady 144 FPS on PC just feels so damned good! It still annoys me when I reach a cutscene and it drops to 30, though. I was really hoping they might have gone with 60 FPS for the Osiris scenes, but no luck. The game also crashes every time I reach the 2nd outside area of the Exodus Crash (fitting) strike, but I'll figure that out eventually.

I also snagged a bunch of stuff during the Steam Christmas sale to throw at the new rig once I've got time. At the top of the list (in no particular order) are Doom, Firewatch, Life is Strange: Before the Storm, & Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. I also backed Obduction on Kickstarter forever ago, so I'll probably go through that now that I can crank the graphics settings all the way up.

Back on console, I'm occasionally playing PUBG because the friend who left Destiny 1 for the lack of story and Destiny 2 for "imbalanced PvP" now prefers a buggy shooter that was ported to Xbox by a team that's obviously never even seen a console shooter before and has no story whatsoever.

-Disciple

Destiny 2 PC

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 11:39 (2290 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

Sounds fun! I haven't played most of those, but Obduction is exactly what I'd hoped for. Doesn't run too well on my old macbook though.

The D2 PC clan needs more (active) people!

by marmot 1333 @, Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 14:03 (2290 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

- No text -

Does it? Really? :-)

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 14:07 (2290 days ago) @ marmot 1333

- No text -

Definitely!

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 14:18 (2290 days ago) @ marmot 1333

I was really surprised to see two other people on at the same time the other day! Usually it's just me all by my lonesome.

-Disciple

The Division

by MacGyver10 ⌂, Tennessee, Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 08:30 (2290 days ago) @ Kahzgul

So I bought The Division over the Black Friday sales and have been really loving it so far. Even though it's all covered in snow, I really love playing in the New York map. The Dark Zone mode is amazing to play with a team, and while I think I could like some of the PVP stuff, I'm still too underpowered to play it effectively. Really love the many different options of playing that game though, and hoping to finish the main story before the end of January as time allows.

If you play on Xbox hit me up Kahzgul, or Kermit, if you get the game, hit me up as well! It's what I've been playing the most these days.

- MacGyver10

The Division

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 11:40 (2290 days ago) @ MacGyver10

So I bought The Division over the Black Friday sales and have been really loving it so far. Even though it's all covered in snow, I really love playing in the New York map. The Dark Zone mode is amazing to play with a team, and while I think I could like some of the PVP stuff, I'm still too underpowered to play it effectively. Really love the many different options of playing that game though, and hoping to finish the main story before the end of January as time allows.

If you play on Xbox hit me up Kahzgul, or Kermit, if you get the game, hit me up as well! It's what I've been playing the most these days.

- MacGyver10

I play on PS4, but just got back into it last night. Much improved and very fun. Loads of loot drops, the enemies work together to flank and otherwise outmaneuver you, and it's generally really fun. I've heard survivor mode is great, but I don't really want to throw $15 at the game right now; if I'm still enjoying it in a week or two maybe I'll shell out the cash.

Where are you now?

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 09:15 (2290 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I had an out-of-nowhere urge to play the Crysis 2 campaign again this week, which I haven't touched since 2012.

I played through the opening levels last night, and was reminded of the mini-review I wrote for it when I first finished it: "Pretty Graphics, Dumb Enemies". The number of AI/pathfinding bugs I encountered was staggering. Still fun as a run and gun shooter, though, and it looks quite nice for a 360-era game, barring a ton of animation popping.

I intend to finish it again.

Fortnite on PC

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 09:57 (2290 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Would love to play with folks if anyone is playing on PC

Fortnite on PC

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 11:41 (2290 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

PS4 crew here. Sorry :(

Twitch.tv

by Tex @, Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 10:34 (2290 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Last new game I bought was Gundam Versus..but I haven't streamed a game since my replay of Skies of Arcadia last month.

Twitch.tv

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 12:27 (2290 days ago) @ Tex

Last new game I bought was Gundam Versus..but I haven't streamed a game since my replay of Skies of Arcadia last month.

Always a good choice.

Twitch.tv

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 13:23 (2290 days ago) @ Tex

.but I haven't streamed a game since my replay of Skies of Arcadia last month.

I just replayed Lies of Arcadia, AKA Life is Strange Before the Storm. This time I lied to Rachel in the end.

Enjoying life outside of gaming.

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 10:37 (2290 days ago) @ Kahzgul

- No text -

Sky Factory

by Chappy, Arlington, VA., Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 12:39 (2290 days ago) @ Kahzgul

- No text -

Where are you now?

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 12:48 (2290 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Destiny to still probably accounts for majority of my video gaming time, especially now that I’m building up a second character on Xbox. I’d really like to get the elite mode raid and the new mini raid done on PS4 but there’s so few people but I can never seem to make the scheduling work. Probably, by the time I’m leveled up nobody will be playing on Xbox either. Timing was never necessarily my forte.

As always I bought a bunch of games for Christmas that I still haven’t even touched. I’ve played some Mario kart on the switch.

I’m still playing tighten fall mostly on Xbox one now.

Where are you now?

by ProbablyLast, Friday, January 19, 2018, 11:13 (2288 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Wondering why my two favorite games from two years ago (Destiny and Madden) now seem to be hostile towards their player base.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread