A thought on shader stack dismantling (Destiny)

by nico, Tuesday, January 23, 2018, 11:55 (2256 days ago)

This might be old news, but I wonder if the hurdle Bungie is encountering has to do with no stack dismantling mechanic _that returns elements,_ such as glimmer, shards, dust.

If that's the case, I wonder if one solution might be to have a merchant (Eververse?) who would take shaders in exchange for the appropriate currency, such as the Speaker did in D1.

A thought on shader stack dismantling

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, January 23, 2018, 11:57 (2256 days ago) @ nico

This might be old news, but I wonder if the hurdle Bungie is encountering has to do with no stack dismantling mechanic _that returns elements,_ such as glimmer, shards, dust.

If that's the case, I wonder if one solution might be to have a merchant (Eververse?) who would take shaders in exchange for the appropriate currency, such as the Speaker did in D1.

Oh, I never thought of that! That would actually be a good fix.

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, January 23, 2018, 12:25 (2256 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Oh, I never thought of that! That would actually be a good fix.

Eva Levante makes her grand return to buy all the shaders I don’t want? I’m in!

I like this idea.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, January 23, 2018, 14:15 (2256 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

Another shader thought...

by Up North 65 @, Tuesday, January 23, 2018, 12:32 (2256 days ago) @ nico

I would love to see shader sets be a thing. The ability to combine 5 shaders into a preset option so quick theme changes could happen. Im getting tired of having multiples of an armor piece with different shaders.

by Robot Chickens, Tuesday, January 23, 2018, 14:19 (2256 days ago) @ Up North 65

Some days you want to be blue. Some days you want to be Orange. Unless you're Bluerunner. Than everything must be blue.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, January 23, 2018, 15:55 (2256 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

Some days you want to be blue. Some days you want to be Orange. Unless you're Bluerunner. Than everything must be blue.

Darn tootin'.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, January 23, 2018, 12:44 (2256 days ago) @ nico

Why is this not filed under criticism?! :-p

by slycrel ⌂, Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 07:32 (2255 days ago) @ Cody Miller

[image]

This is brilliant

by Robot Chickens, Tuesday, January 23, 2018, 13:45 (2256 days ago) @ nico
edited by Robot Chickens, Tuesday, January 23, 2018, 14:18

- No text -

Almost definitely! It's probably just chroma!

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, January 23, 2018, 14:21 (2256 days ago) @ nico

But yeah, I bet a lot of people would cash in their shaders the way you're suggesting. That being said, I don't know how the menu would work

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, January 23, 2018, 14:26 (2256 days ago) @ Funkmon

The same way the mods work wih Banshee, probably. Perhaps with paging built in if it is possible to take that from applying shaders to selling them off.

I would imagine Faction/Event and Legendary shaders wouldn’t be handled in the same batches though.

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, January 23, 2018, 14:28 (2256 days ago) @ Harmanimus

That's a good point. I bet Reddit would still complain because one guy accidentally sold back his Yellowhammer or whatever the bomb ass yellow and black shader is.

(PIC) How the menu could work....

by nico, Tuesday, January 23, 2018, 17:37 (2256 days ago) @ Funkmon

Instead of Dismantle, it would say "Bulk Dismantle" or something...

[image]

Sold! Ship it!

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 07:45 (2255 days ago) @ nico

- No text -

Stack Dismantling in D2 or Batch Selling in H5

by MacGyver10 ⌂, Tennessee, Tuesday, January 23, 2018, 14:52 (2256 days ago) @ nico

I've been reading about this need for batch dismantling for shaders in Destiny 2, and it reminds me a lot of the same hubbub we heard for REQs in Halo 5. 343 Industries also shared that it wasn't just a flip of a switch to enable batch dismantling or selling, but what I'm wondering is why this wasn't thought about beforehand. I mean, do you think there is a 'psychological reason' or what have you to make us get rid of these things one by one, or is it just a plain ole 'oops, we didn't think about that' on both accounts?

- MacGyver10

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, January 23, 2018, 15:05 (2256 days ago) @ MacGyver10

I would expect the latter. Design intent is for you to use them, not break them doen. Follow that with the logic that if you don’t want it breaking down a few and leaving one or two “just in case” or breaking them down in singles as you get them logically follows. Obviously there is a disconnect the moment you have mass openings or other rapid acquisitions (getting a dozen Rec cards you don’t want from opening all your packs at the end of a 4 hour session; getting 15 of the same shader you don’t like from Legendary Engrams at the end of a few hours of play) and I think that their design is based around trickle because that is the logical start.

It is lioe any proprietary software. I hate business software platforms that don’t follow intuitive design elements but it always comes doen to my perception as “it made sense to the program at the time” and so you get a radio button that only selects when you click the radio button and doesn’t with the text string the radio button is referencing. /minirant

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, January 23, 2018, 15:07 (2256 days ago) @ MacGyver10

I've been reading about this need for batch dismantling for shaders in Destiny 2, and it reminds me a lot of the same hubbub we heard for REQs in Halo 5. 343 Industries also shared that it wasn't just a flip of a switch to enable batch dismantling or selling, but what I'm wondering is why this wasn't thought about beforehand. I mean, do you think there is a 'psychological reason' or what have you to make us get rid of these things one by one, or is it just a plain ole 'oops, we didn't think about that' on both accounts?

- MacGyver10

I'm guessing it's the latter. There are plenty of things you can destroy/discard/dismantle en masse - it's just that they are things that don't have 'value' (in the sense that throwing them away nets you nothing). I don't think there's anyone at Bungie who said "we can't build a mechanism for deleting stacks of shaders, because people should really be double-checking whether they are going to want those 500 Atlantis Wash options down the road" - it was (imo, of course) either a total oversight, or a "that would take some work, and we have higher priorities" decision.

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, January 23, 2018, 15:29 (2256 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Shaders? Nah, delete them one at a time.

Masterwork cores? Delete the whole stack, never mind that cheapLEY blew all of his legendary marks accumulating 9 of them. (:

It strikes me as kind of hilarious, honestly.

by Robot Chickens, Tuesday, January 23, 2018, 15:32 (2256 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Masterwork cores? Delete the whole stack, never mind that cheapLEY blew all of his legendary marks accumulating 9 of them. (:

Yeah. This is bad.

Personally, I haven't invested one minute into dismantling shaders. Into the vault they all go until this problem is fixed.

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, January 23, 2018, 15:55 (2256 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

Yeah. This is bad.

Personally, I haven't invested one minute into dismantling shaders. Into the vault they all go until this problem is fixed.

I've been using the waiting time during QuickPlay matching to do it. I can drop a 50-stack before the game starts. :)

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, January 23, 2018, 16:00 (2256 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Yeah. This is bad.

I've been using the waiting time during QuickPlay matching to do it. I can drop a 50-stack before the game starts. :)

That's what I do. Got to delete those gross non-blue shaders before the game starts.

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, January 23, 2018, 16:07 (2256 days ago) @ bluerunner

I’ve made it part of my tower ritual. When I break down gear pieces I don’t want I break down any shader that exceeds 100 down to 100 and any rare or common shader down to the nearest 10. They grow, but slower. And it is a fair bit of bonus glimmer to keep me topped off.

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, January 23, 2018, 16:24 (2256 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

Yeah. This is bad.

I have formed the habit of deleting them as I get them. I usually have the downtime in the tower to delete a few stacks though. It really doesn’t take that long. I deleted over 300 Avalon Teals waiting for the raid fireteam to all get ready a few weeks ago. The longer you wait, the worse it gets.

by Robot Chickens, Tuesday, January 23, 2018, 16:32 (2256 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Yeah. This is bad.

I have formed the habit of deleting them as I get them. I usually have the downtime in the tower to delete a few stacks though. It really doesn’t take that long. I deleted over 300 Avalon Teals waiting for the raid fireteam to all get ready a few weeks ago. The longer you wait, the worse it gets.

Nope. I'm going to let Bungie fix this and then I'll have invested zero time. I have plenty of space in the vault so it's no big deal for me. I do the same thing with blue mods. They all go to the vault and I take them out when I get multiples of 3.

This is one thing I refuse to spend any of my game time doing. This is the worst form of grinding IMO. I'm being reduced to a rat pushing a button for no payoff. Now, because I have vault space, this isn't high on my list of things Bungie should fix, so I'll be patient. If vault space becomes an issue for me before this gets fixed, expect me to be cranky for a while.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 07:34 (2255 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

Yeah. This is bad.

Nope. I'm going to let Bungie fix this and then I'll have invested zero time. I have plenty of space in the vault so it's no big deal for me. I do the same thing with blue mods. They all go to the vault and I take them out when I get multiples of 3.

This is one thing I refuse to spend any of my game time doing. This is the worst form of grinding IMO. I'm being reduced to a rat pushing a button for no payoff. Now, because I have vault space, this isn't high on my list of things Bungie should fix, so I'll be patient. If vault space becomes an issue for me before this gets fixed, expect me to be cranky for a while.

Yeah, I should probably do this as well... I should also organize my vault a little bit.
It basically looks like this
[image]

Note: I could have just gone to my closet in the house and taken a picture, but googling was easier.

It's zenlike. I wait until I get hundreds and hundreds

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 07:50 (2255 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

Then put on an audiobook and mash dismantle.

Recommendation: James Herriot books are top notch

The first time I found out they could be dismantled was one of the most fun times I had in Destiny 2. I sat there in the tower for a half hour mashing X arguing with Blackstar. Not sure why I think that's fun, but I also LOVED the loot cave. So idk man.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 08:19 (2255 days ago) @ Funkmon

Recommendation: James Herriot books are top notch

I loved those books and I read pretty much all (perhaps actually all, it's hard to remember for sure) of them in middle school. I still have several.

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 08:28 (2255 days ago) @ stabbim

For sure. The best part is that everyone likes them. Not like Disney movies where kids like them and adults find them watchable. Like everyone likes All Creatures Great and Small. Kids, teens, adults, old farts, men, women, probably dogs. I wouldn't be surprised if his books were on a top 5 list of favourite books series for any human being of any age living anywhere.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread