Apertureing Destiny: Week 1 - “Unexpected” (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, January 23, 2018, 17:18 (2256 days ago)

One of the things people mentioned in our recent Criticism discussion was that there was not enough sharing of cool photos and videos anymore. I thought that maybe with a little nudge we could bring back some of that sharing, therefore: Aperturing Destiny.

• Each week there will be a new topic or theme and everyone is encouraged to reply with a photo or video that fits.
  • Want to just toss in something one week with no context or explanation? That’s perfectly fine.
  • Want to describe your video or image, or link it up to a story of why you took it or what inspired it? That’d be awesome.
  • This is totally meant to be a DBO community driven event, so if you have a suggestion for a theme or topic toss it a reply and we’ll put it on a running list and get to it in short order.

So, for this first week, the theme is “Unexpected.” Post a photo or video of something you didn’t expect to see in Destiny 2.

For me one thing I didn;t expect was the beauty of Jupiter in Io’s skybox. Not that I didn’t expect it to be there, but that I didn’t expect it to be so detailed and move across the sky so dramatically. I remember that at one point I was trying to get my orientation by finding Jupiter in the sky and I couldn’t because it had passed below the horizon! I sat for a good thirty minutes waiting for it to come back and its rise was gorgeous.

[image]
(Click to Embiggen)

I already knew what I wanted to post!

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, January 23, 2018, 17:33 (2256 days ago) @ Ragashingo

This was so random when I first saw it and then it was just mesmerizing.

I dub this piece "Laika"

Apertureing Destiny: Week 1 - “Unexpected”

by Robot Chickens, Tuesday, January 23, 2018, 18:44 (2256 days ago) @ Ragashingo

For me one thing I didn;t expect was the beauty of Jupiter in Io’s skybox. Not that I didn’t expect it to be there, but that I didn’t expect it to be so detailed and move across the sky so dramatically. I remember that at one point I was trying to get my orientation by finding Jupiter in the sky and I couldn’t because it had passed below the horizon! I sat for a good thirty minutes waiting for it to come back and its rise was gorgeous.

IO is the best. Here is a low-res upload of a timelapse I took of Jupiter. I was pleasantly surprised when the moon rose right in front of my shot.

by Fantom ⌂, Chicago, Illinois, Tuesday, January 23, 2018, 19:08 (2256 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

This is a beautiful timelapse. I'm down for this. Great idea!

by Dame117 @, Missouri, Monday, January 29, 2018, 12:54 (2250 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

Love your time lapse!

WOW

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, January 30, 2018, 09:14 (2249 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

- No text -

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, January 30, 2018, 14:30 (2249 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

IO is the best. Here is a low-res upload of a timelapse I took of Jupiter. I was pleasantly surprised when the moon rose right in front of my shot.

I love this and the first one you posted shortly after D2 came out. I shared it with several friends who don't play video games to show them how amazing games can be.

I got 2

by Up North 65 @, Tuesday, January 23, 2018, 19:28 (2256 days ago) @ Ragashingo

One woah!! and one how???

First time seeing the Sea Cucumber of Mystery on Titan was pretty amazing.

This is what happens when the Vex don't debug their code and accidentally simulate Fallen with Taken abilities

I got 2

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, January 23, 2018, 20:10 (2256 days ago) @ Up North 65

Infinite Forest definitely needs to have better QC. I see a lot of weird things in it.

Fix yer sh!t, Vex!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, January 30, 2018, 14:33 (2249 days ago) @ Harmanimus

- No text -

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Tuesday, January 23, 2018, 19:39 (2256 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I've spent the last 30 minutes trying to figure out how to share a gorram clip from my xbox onto this forum and for the life of me I can't figure it out. (Spoiler alert, trying to use media on a Microsoft system is a PITA.)

So I'll just describe the clip because I'll be damned if I leave here with nothing.

So we're on that map from the beta, with all the red leaves and grass, where capture point B is on that platform with the cliff behind it. I'm shooting at a hunter and he falls off the cliff. He's gone, bye bye. But then he hops back up onto the ground, then he falls off again, then another arcstrider hunter falls down after him. You hear someone die, then that same friggin hunter pops back up and stabs me in the face. I wasn't expecting that.

This has been a waste of time. :_(

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, January 23, 2018, 19:46 (2256 days ago) @ ManKitten

This one? It's pretty good.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/ManKitten/video/42870371

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Tuesday, January 23, 2018, 19:50 (2256 days ago) @ cheapLEY

...yes.

[image]

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, January 23, 2018, 19:54 (2256 days ago) @ ManKitten

Just go to xboxdvr.com, type in your name, find the clip, and copy the URL. Then use the video button on the right and paste the link in the box that pops up.

I really wish there was a PS4 equivalent for xboxdvr.com. It's so handy.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, January 30, 2018, 09:22 (2249 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Just go to xboxdvr.com, type in your name, find the clip, and copy the URL. Then use the video button on the right and paste the link in the box that pops up.

I guess just a note for anyone else reading (it obviously doesn't apply to ManKitten since his stuff's already visible), you MAY have to adjust the privacy settings for your XBox media in order for it to be visible on XBoxDVR.com

They have a walkthrough posted.

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Tuesday, January 23, 2018, 19:58 (2256 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I didn't expect the lids to Cayde's chests to be so heavy.

[image]

by DEEP_NNN, Tuesday, January 23, 2018, 20:39 (2256 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

It happened to me too! lol

lol

by slycrel ⌂, Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 07:38 (2255 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

- No text -

funny stuff right there :)

by Dame117 @, Missouri, Monday, January 29, 2018, 12:58 (2250 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

- No text -

ROFL

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, January 30, 2018, 09:25 (2249 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

I'm not even sure what killed you. It looks like the physics impulse hit you hard enough to kill, but I seem to remember there being insta-death zones down there too, so maybe you just got pushed into one of them?

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, January 23, 2018, 20:11 (2256 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I didn't expect Tractor Cannon to have this much recoil.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/bluerunner/video/42870981

And this Cabal wasn't expecting me to be made of rubber.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/bluerunner/video/42871079

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Saturday, January 27, 2018, 10:35 (2252 days ago) @ bluerunner

Pssh, that first one wasn't the tractor cannon--that was you trying to french-kiss a Phalanx!

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, January 23, 2018, 20:24 (2256 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Even knowing Bungie, and knowing that it would be, I was still surprised by how beautiful this game is (I was surprised by it again last week when I fired it up in 4K HDR).

A moment that really highlights that for me was first breaking into the Arcology. Destiny has really great lighting, and the areas below the surface on Titan really show that, I think.

[image] [image]

It's definitely the area I really wish we got to see more of.

And another random shot from Trostland that I took last night just because the purple banners caught my eye:

[image]

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, January 30, 2018, 14:40 (2249 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Even knowing Bungie, and knowing that it would be, I was still surprised by how beautiful this game is (I was surprised by it again last week when I fired it up in 4K HDR).

A moment that really highlights that for me was first breaking into the Arcology. Destiny has really great lighting, and the areas below the surface on Titan really show that, I think.

[image] [image]

It's definitely the area I really wish we got to see more of.

Titan's not my favorite planet, and the Hive are not my favorite enemy to fight, but the first time I played Savathun’s Song in 4K HDR, I fell in love with the game again.

Watch the post...

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, January 23, 2018, 22:58 (2256 days ago) @ Ragashingo

This was from a Nightfall run a few weeks ago. I jumped all the way down to the bottom, Chappy decided to drive it.

He was doing fine until the end.

That don't make no sense.

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 05:52 (2255 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

"Glitches can't leave their game."

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 07:00 (2255 days ago) @ Claude Errera
edited by ManKitten, Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 07:04

- No text -

Watch the post...

by DMHCook, Ohio, Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 20:22 (2255 days ago) @ Claude Errera

That's great haha.

I love trying to weave through those.

Chosen

by breitzen @, Kansas, Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 06:32 (2255 days ago) @ Ragashingo

This is my favorite mission in both D1 and D2. I was hoping for this kind of mission but honestly didn't expect to see it.

[image] [image]

Chosen

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, January 30, 2018, 14:37 (2249 days ago) @ breitzen

This is my favorite mission in both D1 and D2. I was hoping for this kind of mission but honestly didn't expect to see it.

[image] [image]

Agreed. D2's campaign was bookended by great missions.

Unbroken.

by Harmanimus @, Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 21:27 (2255 days ago) @ Ragashingo

So, here are a few shots I took today while playing. I do not, personally, approve of speed running strikes unless you are in a full fireteam or have the buy-in of matchmade players.

[image][image][image][image]

It's unexpected because after four destinations of broken down and busted stuff and a couple minor environments filled with rubbish and one austere space ship in Vanilla and then some more broken up stuff in CoO, well, the Gardener's Spire is just so damn pretty and feels like it is still building and Mercury as a Garden World is quite possibly the most aesthetically pleasing of all Destiny locales.

Ha!

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 21:45 (2255 days ago) @ Harmanimus

Coincidentally, I just took a few shots from the top of that tower tonight.

[image] [image]

Past Mercury really is a beautiful location. I wish we got to see more of it. I itch to jump in a Warthog and take off across those plains . . . (:

Ha!

by Harmanimus @, Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 21:50 (2255 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Juxtaposition of the Traveler with the Sun is just too juicy. I think the first entrance into the space during the Campaign was the most pleasing visual moment in D2. It is a great sadness that the alternate parts of Mercury aren't regular play spaces.

Brakion cover - NOPE

by Robot Chickens, Thursday, January 25, 2018, 00:36 (2255 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I wanted to hide from Brakion's laser when standing on the plates. I thought I had outsmarted him by deploying my shield and he was just smirked and said, "good try."

Brakion mains Mei.

by Harmanimus @, Thursday, January 25, 2018, 10:51 (2254 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

- No text -

Mei is Bei

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, January 25, 2018, 11:32 (2254 days ago) @ Harmanimus

- No text -

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Saturday, January 27, 2018, 07:23 (2252 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I never thought I'd see a Gunslinger worse than I am...

by bluerunner @, Music City, Saturday, January 27, 2018, 11:00 (2252 days ago) @ Korny

Sometimes you just have to spray and pray.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/bluerunner/video/43064928

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Saturday, January 27, 2018, 08:10 (2252 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Alright, this one is pretty easy.

Now that there's a category I have some experience with, there's a good example of something that's certainly unexpected.

As most of you know, I really hate Crucible and had no desire to play it in Destiny 2. However, when I found out that two of the thirteen achievements were Crucible only, I decided to suck it up and cringe my way through when Iron Banner first arrived--to take care of the rank challenge and Call to Arms simultaneously.

Let me tell ya—I certainly didn't expect this to happen on my first multiplayer game ever.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Morpheus414/video/42878114

I don't even know what half of those medals are! (No stats,Bungie? Seriously?)

You can't park here.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Saturday, January 27, 2018, 11:31 (2252 days ago) @ Ragashingo

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/bluerunner/video/43066417

Haha!

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, January 27, 2018, 12:41 (2252 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

whoa! That was odd :)

by Dame117 @, Missouri, Monday, January 29, 2018, 13:07 (2250 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread