A thought, and a request for ideas (DBO)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 11:34 (2283 days ago)

With all the discussions about the state of the forums over the past few days, a thought occurred to me that I wanted to share with all of you. I might be completely wrong, but if I am even partially right, I'm wondering if anyone might have ideas on how to address this.

One of the points I and others have brought up is the issue of balance: that DBO seems to be disproportionately filled with negative/critical posts, and that many of the points being expressed are repetitive. I don't want to get sidetracked on that half of the issue (I do have tons to say about that side, but I'll leave that for now). I want to address what's missing: the positive posts. I already brought up the seeming lack of community creations in another thread, so I want to leave that niche aside for now as well.

What I am wondering about in particular is the more "water-cooler" type of posts that I used to read here all the time (and even more so over at HBO). Stories about fun in-game adventures, amazing moments, hilarious mistakes, etc. It strikes me that while a great deal of the recent discussion here at DBO has been dominated by complaints or points of contention, the vast majority of those posting are still actively playing the game and enjoying themselves while they do it. Maybe they play every day, maybe once a week, once per month... whatever. Many of us are still having fun with Destiny on some level, so why is there less talk about that side of things now than ever before?

Maybe its just me, but when I tried to answer that question for myself (meaning why do I personally post fewer of those kinds of stories than I used to), it occurred to me that I don't feel the need to share those experiences here on the forum, because I was playing with DBOers when those moments happened. It breaks down when I really think about it (because there are far more people who read DBO than the 2-5 other DBOers I would have been playing with) but the feeling that hits me any time I consider making such a post is "eh... half the people who would read this were there when it happened, so why bother?".

So my question is: is this just me? Am I the only one who tumbles down this silly train of thought? Or are there others here who feel similarly? Is it possible that we all spend so much time playing together that we're less inclined to rush to the forums and talk to each other about the fun we had together? And if that is even partially the case, is there something we can do to turn that around? Shift it from a "bug" into a "feature"?

"Session Reports"!

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 11:59 (2283 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Great points!

In fact, this immediately makes me thing of the other main hobby site I frequent -- boardgamegeek.com (or, BGG, for short).

If you're not familiar with BGG, it is the largest website/community for tabletop games in the world (in fact, they just recently hit a new milestone of 5,000,000 unique visitors per month!). It is mostly a database that contains game pages with images, rules questions, session reports, user-created files, and general forums for pretty much every board game ever (96,318 unique game entries as of today) as well as general forum threads that cover all kinds of categories.

Anyways, one of the popular features of the site - and in fact one of the main early focuses that instigated the community growth early on - are the session reports where people post a summary of their recent play session.

I think DBO could indeed be more positively engaging and interesting to log in to multiple times per day for the average user if we do return to having more of that kind of content.

I like it!

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 12:23 (2283 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Great points!

In fact, this immediately makes me thing of the other main hobby site I frequent -- boardgamegeek.com (or, BGG, for short).

If you're not familiar with BGG, it is the largest website/community for tabletop games in the world (in fact, they just recently hit a new milestone of 5,000,000 unique visitors per month!). It is mostly a database that contains game pages with images, rules questions, session reports, user-created files, and general forums for pretty much every board game ever (96,318 unique game entries as of today) as well as general forum threads that cover all kinds of categories.

Anyways, one of the popular features of the site - and in fact one of the main early focuses that instigated the community growth early on - are the session reports where people post a summary of their recent play session.

I think DBO could indeed be more positively engaging and interesting to log in to multiple times per day for the average user if we do return to having more of that kind of content.

That’s exactly the sort of thing I was thinking of.

I used to write those “Tales from the Lighthouse” posts almost every week, back when we were playing Trials all the time. Although that might be a bad example... I stopped writing those because people complained that those posts were making them feel bad because they couldn’t get to the Lighthouse, lol. But something like that might be great :)

I like it!

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 12:24 (2283 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Well, we beat our heads against the wall for a few hours last night on Leviathan Prestige, and we're all apparently stupid enough to keep at it tonight... so maybe one of us is dumb enough to post a "session report" about it all tomorrow...

I like it!

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 12:27 (2283 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Well, we beat our heads against the wall for a few hours last night on Leviathan Prestige, and we're all apparently stupid enough to keep at it tonight... so maybe one of us is dumb enough to post a "session report" about it all tomorrow...

Heh, how far did you get?

I like it!

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 12:29 (2283 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

We got through Gardens and Gauntlet and maybe halfway through beating the fatties in the Baths. We're going to be trying a new strategy tonight.

I like it!

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, January 25, 2018, 07:18 (2282 days ago) @ Speedracer513

We got through Gardens and Gauntlet and maybe halfway through beating the fatties in the Baths. We're going to be trying a new strategy tonight.

The prestige baths are brutal. We did not do so well :P

I like it!

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, January 25, 2018, 09:38 (2282 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

[image]

I rarely play w/ DBO folks.

by Harmanimus @, Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 12:31 (2283 days ago) @ Speedracer513

And thus I am usually not part of hijinks or new findings with people here. Part of that is being farther West than most folks and part is platform, as I am mostly on PC lately. Albeit I did run the NF as a 2-man with DiscipleN2k on Monday. We got Faction Helmet Ornaments first try with like 30 seconds to spare.

So maybe I should involve myself in FTB more.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 12:54 (2283 days ago) @ Harmanimus

And thus I am usually not part of hijinks or new findings with people here. Part of that is being farther West than most folks and part is platform, as I am mostly on PC lately. Albeit I did run the NF as a 2-man with DiscipleN2k on Monday. We got Faction Helmet Ornaments first try with like 30 seconds to spare.

So maybe I should involve myself in FTB more.

Yep. There's a good number of people on the west coast, too.

by Harmanimus @, Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 13:13 (2283 days ago) @ Kermit

Yeah, but the West Coast is East of me. And I work into the evenings.

Gotcha

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 14:26 (2283 days ago) @ Harmanimus

- No text -

"Session Reports"!

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 12:34 (2283 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Great points!

As one of literally the only people actively trying to make this a more positive place (namaste), I'll be the first to volunteer something like this (assuming there's a long wait for the Sea of Thieves beta to download, anyway). :P

I have some neat footage of you and Claude's Nightfall run with Cruel that I should probably make use of.

"Session Reports"!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 14:25 (2283 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Great points!

The Co-op Night recaps I used to do on HBO seemed pretty popular, but unfortunately they took a lot of work and would not have been possible without films.

As someone for whom raiding is the my favorite activity, one thing I'd like to see more of is sharing of strategies and maybe clips of these strategies working. Maybe more live streaming, too, but I understand if not everyone is comfortable with that.

DBO Streams; would sub.

by Harmanimus @, Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 14:43 (2283 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

Live Streaming

by breitzen @, Kansas, Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 14:59 (2283 days ago) @ Kermit

If you want to see us fail miserably at Prestige Baths tonight I’ll host a stream!

Live Streaming

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 15:44 (2283 days ago) @ breitzen

If you want to see us fail miserably at Prestige Baths tonight I’ll host a stream!

I and the rest of the rabble are already raiding tonight, friend. You elites probably didn't notice. ;)

Live Streaming

by breitzen @, Kansas, Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 15:59 (2283 days ago) @ Kermit

I just assumed we could watch each other’s stream while playing! That wouldn’t be complete insanity.

Lol!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 21:14 (2282 days ago) @ breitzen

- No text -

I’ll gladly volunteer to do more live-streaming.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 16:32 (2283 days ago) @ breitzen

My schedule is pretty hectic these days, but I often end up jumping online on Friday nights for a while. I’m happy to livestream as long as the people I’m playing with don’t mind.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 21:15 (2282 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, January 25, 2018, 00:55 (2282 days ago) @ Kermit

Wish I could, but I’m in California for work this week. Hopefully I’ll be able to join you next week if there’s another raid happening (or anything else) <3

"Session Reports"!

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, January 25, 2018, 09:01 (2282 days ago) @ Speedracer513

If you're not familiar with BGG, it is the largest website/community for tabletop games in the world

Familiar with it? I've been to their warehouse! ;)

:-)

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Thursday, January 25, 2018, 09:09 (2282 days ago) @ stabbim

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread