Vince McMahon is announcing a new football league at 3 EST (Off-Topic)

by Funkmon @, Thursday, January 25, 2018, 09:24 (2276 days ago)

We can live stream the announcement. Reports indicate it's another XFL!

The X is for XTREME

[image]

https://twitter.com/alphaentllc/status/956542193480724480?ref_src=twcamp%5Eshare%7Ctwsrc%5Em5%7Ctwgr%5Eemail%7Ctwcon%...

Anything to do with video games? No. Cool? Yes.

Vince McMahon is announcing a new football league at 3 EST

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, January 25, 2018, 09:36 (2276 days ago) @ Funkmon

We can live stream the announcement. Reports indicate it's another XFL!

So... dead by 2021?

You think it'll last that long?

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, January 25, 2018, 10:02 (2276 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

Well it doesn't start until 2020 ;)

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, January 25, 2018, 10:03 (2276 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

Well it doesn't start until 2020 ;)

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, January 25, 2018, 11:20 (2276 days ago) @ Xenos

Have you watched the 30 for 30 on the XFL? There were some revolutionary things the XFL implemented that ended up making it to NFL and major college broadcasts. The skycam alone was worth it for me. Even if it fails, it could bring some good changes to the existing leagues.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, January 25, 2018, 09:36 (2276 days ago) @ Funkmon

It's all going to depend on how many big name players he gets onboard and how it is broadcast. I think there is a lot more potential now with streaming services. Of they can broadcast games with less commercial interuptions that would help too.

The NFL is in a slump, so this seems to be the time to strike, but I think he would be better off with a spring/summer season rather than going head to head with NFL and college ball.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, January 25, 2018, 10:06 (2276 days ago) @ Funkmon

In a world where one of the biggest concerns for the NFL is CTE from repeated head injuries, who thinks bringing the XFL back is the right thing to do?

What are the odds this is marketed at the 'MURICA crowd who hate kneeling players and think the NFL is filled with babies that can't take a hit?

That's a hard pass, no thanks.

by Avateur @, Thursday, January 25, 2018, 23:08 (2275 days ago) @ cheapLEY

What are the odds? It was clear as day to me when I saw it earlier, but this article really did a great job of putting it in writing for me:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/01/25/xfl-vince-mcmahon-announcement-football-league

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Thursday, January 25, 2018, 12:21 (2276 days ago) @ Funkmon

They were just discussing this on Le Batard show. They also jumped to XFL but who knows. Maybe it could be an something like:

XLB - Xtreme League Baseball. Imagine if it's a close call, instead of instant replay, they players duke it out.

XBA - Trampolines on the court, shots worth 2,3,5, points plus an Instant win circle somewhere on the court. No fouls.

XGA - Golf carts are allowed and it's a race, low score combined with low time crowns the winner.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, January 25, 2018, 12:38 (2276 days ago) @ ManKitten

They were just discussing this on Le Batard show. They also jumped to XFL but who knows. Maybe it could be an something like:

XLB - Xtreme League Baseball. Imagine if it's a close call, instead of instant replay, they players duke it out.

I was thinking Blurnsball.

XBA - Trampolines on the court, shots worth 2,3,5, points plus an Instant win circle somewhere on the court. No fouls.

Slamball

Announcement video

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Thursday, January 25, 2018, 14:42 (2276 days ago) @ Funkmon

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22213241/vince-mcmahon-gimmick-free-xfl-return-2020

Basically he says "I'm bringing back the XFL but I have no idea what I'm going to do...someone tell me what to do."

Here are my suggestions.

No punting

No field goals

Commentators that know when to shut up. Maybe get an actual sports commentator but then a comedian to be the color commentator.

No more sideline reporters, waste of time.

Add power plays like hockey. Instead of yardage penalties, when someone gets a penalty that position has to come off the field for an appropriate number of plays.

Yes!

by Funkmon @, Thursday, January 25, 2018, 15:39 (2276 days ago) @ ManKitten

Constantly running clock with half hour quarters. 30 second play clock.

You get an extra point for a FG from over 50 yards.

Uhhhh...that's all I've got.

Announcement video

by squidnh3, Thursday, January 25, 2018, 16:08 (2276 days ago) @ ManKitten

No punting

A better idea: -1 point for punting (you can't go below 0). Make it an agonizing strategic decision.

Too serious to succeed, imo.

by ProbablyLast, Friday, January 26, 2018, 19:20 (2274 days ago) @ Funkmon
edited by ProbablyLast, Friday, January 26, 2018, 19:51

The reason the other league was memorable was because of how different it was than the NFL. This seems like essentially an NFL summer league, when interest in the NFL is already slipping.

Well, spring league? Whatever, I know what I meant.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread