Talk to me about sniper rifles (Destiny)

by Oholiab @, Friday, January 26, 2018, 20:47 (2280 days ago)

Once my favorite special weapon in D1, I gave up on sniper rifles early in D2 because I discovered Merciless. Now that I have Crimson as an option for my exotic slot, I’d like to create a second loadout with a sniper in the heavy slot. I have a LOT of them in my vault!

Which ones do you like and why?

Talk to me about sniper rifles

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Saturday, January 27, 2018, 01:02 (2280 days ago) @ Oholiab

Once my favorite special weapon in D1, I gave up on sniper rifles early in D2 because I discovered Merciless. Now that I have Crimson as an option for my exotic slot, I’d like to create a second loadout with a sniper in the heavy slot. I have a LOT of them in my vault!

Which ones do you like and why?

The only sniper that I like (and almost the only Heavy that I use in Crucible) is the Borealis. Five round mag, which automatically refills your shot when you pop an enemy’s shields (in Crucible, that means almost every hit), and Snapshot as an intrinsic perk? I had a lot of fun shutting down Supers in Mayhem (I have a clip where I blink, launch a Slova Bomb, whip up my rifle as I land, and snipe my bomb in midair, and the Explosion takes out a Titan who had just popped Hammers).

It’s funny that it was intended to be a PvE weapon (given its exotic perk, and the fact that it’s in the highest impact category), but outside of Prism-modifier strikes, it’s just as underpowered as the rest of the snipers in the game.

Has anyone else never used a sniper rifle in Destiny 2?

by Funkmon @, Saturday, January 27, 2018, 03:16 (2280 days ago) @ Oholiab

I put one on once and I was not happy.

I've never even equipped a sword, those are immediately dismantled.

Some guns are just ick.

Has anyone else never used a sniper rifle in Destiny 2?

by Harmanimus @, Saturday, January 27, 2018, 03:50 (2280 days ago) @ Funkmon

I put a sniper on rarely just to mix things up. There are some neat Suros ones and I had some fun with DARCI for a minute. Swords have the same hit detection and physics issues as melees for me so I often will completely miss or bounce off whatever I'm trying to hit.

Basically Fusion Rifles are 90% of my Power Weapon usage.

In general snipers are awful in D2

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Saturday, January 27, 2018, 05:45 (2280 days ago) @ Harmanimus

When I want to use one in Crucible I like to use The Long Walk (Trials Sniper). It has a pretty decent feel to it and I like the perks Quickdraw and Slideshot. They were fun to use during Mayhem.

I’ve never used a sword. Instant shard for me.

by Oholiab @, Saturday, January 27, 2018, 11:18 (2280 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

by Chappy, Arlington, VA., Saturday, January 27, 2018, 15:56 (2280 days ago) @ Oholiab

I agree that it's not a day-to-day power weapon, but there are moments where the sword is useful. I use the raid sword to:

Kill a beast in the Leviathan Pleasure Gardens (though Curtain Call rockets work just as well)
Kill the yellow-bar enemies quickly in the Leviathan Gauntlet
Get a high ammo/kill efficiency when power weapon kills are needed for challenges and ornament requirements
When completing a difficult jumping puzzle, the extra forward momentum from a swing can save a run

This was my day-to-day weapon...

by slycrel ⌂, Saturday, January 27, 2018, 16:56 (2280 days ago) @ Chappy

...until I got the raid rocket launcher. Now it's about 70% rockets, 30% sword.

I seriously love eternity's edge.

[image]

One more reason to use a sword

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Sunday, January 28, 2018, 07:19 (2279 days ago) @ Chappy

Quickfang in Crucible is amazing. Just hide around corners and you can easily get 5 kills with one heavy drop.

One more reason to use a sword +1

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Sunday, January 28, 2018, 11:16 (2279 days ago) @ Xenos

Swords are my favourite Crucible Power weapon, by far. I even use them in Mayhem Clash, lol

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, January 27, 2018, 16:12 (2280 days ago) @ Oholiab

Really? They were super useful in the raid, especially the baths, which is a hard section on Prestige, or so I'm told.

As if I do raids.

by Funkmon @, Sunday, January 28, 2018, 07:11 (2279 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

I carry two.

by DEEP_NNN, Saturday, January 27, 2018, 06:03 (2280 days ago) @ Oholiab

FWC's (because it's pretty) and an ugly Fusion. Rarely use them. Sniper kills for a challenge in the EDZ is the only place I can think of.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Saturday, January 27, 2018, 07:14 (2280 days ago) @ Oholiab

Non really. The flinch and recoil just don't make them worthwhile. If you want to snipe, use a linear fusion rifle.

Hmmmm...

by Oholiab @, Saturday, January 27, 2018, 11:17 (2280 days ago) @ Oholiab

I didn’t mean for this thread to turn into #criticism, but I’d have to agree with those of you lamenting the woes of snipers in D2. It makes me sad because I really enjoyed them in D1.

I appreciate the three or four recommendations!

Hmmmm...

by Claude Errera @, Saturday, January 27, 2018, 12:32 (2280 days ago) @ Oholiab

I didn’t mean for this thread to turn into #criticism, but I’d have to agree with those of you lamenting the woes of snipers in D2. It makes me sad because I really enjoyed them in D1.

I appreciate the three or four recommendations!

I don't use Snipers much any more, but I, too, loved them in D1, and so I keep them around, just in case.

I like the Veleda-D - highest-impact tier, super-high range. I don't love the 3-shot magazine, but if you're hanging back to make use of that range stat, it's okay. :)

The Belfry Bounty might be my second choice. Decently-high impact, pretty high aim assist, 4-shot magazine. Totally crappy reload speed, though.

I hardly use shotguns anymore either

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Saturday, January 27, 2018, 13:44 (2280 days ago) @ Oholiab

Occasionally, I'll have one equipped in Crucible, but I almost never go for heavy ammo so.....

On that note, I hardly ever have someone use a side-arm or fusion rifle on me. Or sniper, or shotgun.

Pretty much just rockets. Though when Xur last sold Colony I usually encounter another player using it per crucible game (on either team).

Yeah, me either.

by Funkmon @, Saturday, January 27, 2018, 17:18 (2280 days ago) @ Revenant1988

I'm 100% fusion rifle.

Colony a best for Mayhem.

by Harmanimus @, Saturday, January 27, 2018, 20:56 (2279 days ago) @ Revenant1988

- No text -

by Kahzgul, Sunday, January 28, 2018, 03:06 (2279 days ago) @ Oholiab

There's a new monarchy scout rifle that is super accurate at long ranges and has a long range scope. It's not technically a sniper rifle, but it's close enough that I use it like one. Pretty fun.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread