How Bungie will pay for Destiny

by RC ⌂, UK, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 16:54 (4079 days ago)

It's very simple:

• Content
    • Major Game Releases: Destiny, Destiny: The Fallen Lords, Destiny: Durandal etc.
    • DLC Comets: Halley, Hale-Bopp, Encke etc.

• Services
    • Bungie Pro 2.0: Achronous will personally get DeeJ to reply to your PMs
    • Extensions to usual in-game services: power users of whatever seems limiting
    • Premium-only services: Stuff most people won't care about

• Merchandise
    • T-Shirts, hoodies, capes - pledge your allegience and fly the colours!
    • Swag: bags, mugs, posters - you think they're selling this at cost? LOL!
    • Toys: Your own customised Guardian!

Easy.

Hats.

by Beckx, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 17:06 (4079 days ago) @ RC

- No text -

Hats.

by tadboz, Fort Collins, CO, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 23:03 (4079 days ago) @ Beckx

Oh god, TF2 all over again!

Why would hats in Destiny be a problem?!? *IMG*

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 23:15 (4079 days ago) @ tadboz
edited by Xenos, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 23:20

What's wrong with hats?!?

[image]

Foam fingers

by Hedge ⌂, Australia, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 17:08 (4079 days ago) @ RC

- No text -

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 17:12 (4079 days ago) @ RC

[*]Services

Those are all micro transactions, which apparently there will be none of.

Not if they charge an arm and a leg for them :p

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 17:15 (4079 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

by Claude Errera @, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 17:16 (4079 days ago) @ Cody Miller

[*]Services

Those are all micro transactions, which apparently there will be none of.

Wait, what?

NONE of those are microtransactions. Well... maybe you could count 'extensions to in-game services', depending on what that actually means.

But outside services? Those aren't microtransactions. Microtransactions are small-priced (hence the name) in-game (non-physical) purchases that augment the experience. The stuff listed up there is completely outside the game itself.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 17:24 (4079 days ago) @ Claude Errera

NONE of those are microtransactions. Well... maybe you could count 'extensions to in-game services', depending on what that actually means.

But outside services? Those aren't microtransactions. Microtransactions are small-priced (hence the name) in-game (non-physical) purchases that augment the experience. The stuff listed up there is completely outside the game itself.

I don't necessarily exclude things from being classified as a micro transaction just because, to use your terms, it isn't 'In game (non-physical)'. Things like services that effect the game experience I would consider micro transactions, including things like Bungie Pro.

In fact, Bungie Pro will only work with Destiny (for the time being) since Bungie doesn't control Halo anymore.

So when you buy cable...

by RC ⌂, UK, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 17:48 (4079 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Getting the Sports package is a micro-transaction?

I'm not understanding your understanding of the term.

I have to agree...

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 17:59 (4079 days ago) @ RC

... Bungie Pro is a subscription model not a micro-transaction model. Those are two entirely different money making methods.

So when you buy cable...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, February 18, 2013, 01:40 (4079 days ago) @ RC

No. The sports package doesn't make what you have better. Having sports doesn't make watching comedy central or NBC any better. Having Bungie Pro makes Destiny better.

Micro transactions are only valuable within the context of the game, and are not their own thing which stand alone.

So when you buy cable...

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Monday, February 18, 2013, 10:30 (4078 days ago) @ Cody Miller

No. The sports package doesn't make what you have better. Having sports doesn't make watching comedy central or NBC any better. Having Bungie Pro makes Destiny better.

Micro transactions are only valuable within the context of the game, and are not their own thing which stand alone.

By this reasoning it sounds like all DLC (whether it be expansions, new campaigns, map packs, or what have you) would be classified as a "micro transaction".

Excepting the fact that many of these items could be 15 to 20 dollars (In my opinion not exactly micro) they do only have "value within the context of the game, and are not their own thing which stand alone".

Is this what you mean to say?

So when you buy cable...

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Monday, February 18, 2013, 21:09 (4078 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You're trying to speak in some pretty definite terms about two things, one of which hasn't existed for almost a year (Bungie Pro) and another that won't actually be a product you can use for another year.

I agree, it's not a microtransaction, but that's another of those words that is so commonly misused that it's practically lost all meaning.

by iZac, Shanghai, Monday, February 18, 2013, 01:59 (4078 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I don't necessarily exclude things from being classified as a micro transaction just because, to use your terms, it isn't 'In game (non-physical)'. Things like services that effect the game experience I would consider micro transactions, including things like Bungie Pro.

In fact, Bungie Pro will only work with Destiny (for the time being) since Bungie doesn't control Halo anymore.

Perhaps it is semantics, I don't know, but I also assume microtransactions to be small payments (like less than a cup of coffee or something). These would provide you a minimal advantage - in game currency or a better weapon or something, that is priced to suit the impact of that extra feature. Fundamentally you could say that paying $20 to play half a dozen missions on Venus or whatever is exactly like paying 99 cents for 1000 monopoly bucks, but I doubt many would see that.

I guess what we all hope (and Claude is suggesting?) is that buying the game is the only outlay you pay until Bungie release the mid-cycle mission pack DLC.

by VAVA Mk2, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 19:46 (4079 days ago) @ RC

It's very simple:

• Content
    • Major Game Releases: Destiny, Destiny: The Fallen Lords, Destiny: Durandal etc.
    • DLC Comets: Halley, Hale-Bopp, Encke etc.

• Services

• Merchandise
    • T-Shirts, hoodies, capes - pledge your allegience and fly the colours!
    • Swag: bags, mugs, posters - you think they're selling this at cost? LOL!
    • Toys: Your own customised Guardian!

Easy.

Wait...has it already been confirmed that Destiny: Durandal is a title of a future sequel or expansion pack? I wonder how many nods they give to Marathon (and possibly Halo) in the Destiny series? :)

No, he's just using placeholder names

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 19:50 (4079 days ago) @ VAVA Mk2

- No text -

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 20:38 (4079 days ago) @ RC

[image]

by tarehart, Seattle, Monday, February 18, 2013, 07:37 (4078 days ago) @ Schooly D

[image]

CitizenKaneClap

by Claude Errera @, Monday, February 18, 2013, 10:15 (4078 days ago) @ tarehart

- No text -

This made me cry a little

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, February 18, 2013, 11:41 (4078 days ago) @ Schooly D

- No text -

Timeshares on Titan.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, February 18, 2013, 07:55 (4078 days ago) @ RC

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread