Evolution of the Duke (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, September 12, 2013, 14:23 (3877 days ago)

Evolution of the Duke

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, September 12, 2013, 14:47 (3877 days ago) @ Kermit

[image]

[image]

[image]

Read more.

Interesting. I did not guess that it was a non-exotic gun. Makes me excited that this game is going to have awesome weapons all the time, not just when you have exotic weapons.

Evolution of the Duke

by urk, Thursday, September 12, 2013, 16:29 (3877 days ago) @ Xenos

Just so happens that I'm going to walk into a room with mics and one of our resident gun manufactures in about 31 minutes or so. If you have any questions about Destiny's guns, fire away, and we might be able to squeeze them in.

Evolution of the Duke

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, September 12, 2013, 16:50 (3877 days ago) @ urk

Just so happens that I'm going to walk into a room with mics and one of our resident gun manufactures in about 31 minutes or so. If you have any questions about Destiny's guns, fire away, and we might be able to squeeze them in.

Will there be something like a gun exchange? I know most exotics will be found in the wild, but I'm imagining a wizened antiques dealer in the City, who, when I say the secret phrase, with a wink decides to retrieve something special for me out of the backroom.

Evolution of the Duke

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Thursday, September 12, 2013, 16:56 (3877 days ago) @ urk

Are there guns that uniquely affects the battlefield? We've seen "regular bullet guns" and rocket launchers and the like. But will there be exotics that have abnormal effects?

Evolution of the Duke

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, September 12, 2013, 17:15 (3877 days ago) @ urk

I want a crossbow.

Oh wait, that wasn't a question....

Where's my crossbow?

Evolution of the Duke

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Thursday, September 12, 2013, 17:23 (3877 days ago) @ urk
edited by Grizzlei, Thursday, September 12, 2013, 17:27

Are all of the exotic weapons relatively modern or will there a few that pre-date the Traveler's arrival in Sol?

Evolution of the Duke

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, September 12, 2013, 17:39 (3877 days ago) @ urk
edited by Xenos, Thursday, September 12, 2013, 17:43

Will the look of the weapons be customizable at all, or will they look like they do when we pick them up for the duration?

Also you responded to my post Urk, does that mean I have unsnubbed? Or was it merely a mistake? :)

Evolution of the Duke

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, September 13, 2013, 04:12 (3877 days ago) @ urk

Will there be a sweet spot on Bungie.net to show off my armory?
Will I be able to trade with my fireteam through bungie.net/the mobile app?
Will I be able to check out sweet historical stats for the gun, who has used it best, who has had it the longest?

yeah, it's easy to see what I have my eye on

Evolution of the Duke

by marmot 1333 @, Friday, September 13, 2013, 07:37 (3876 days ago) @ Xenos

No mention of the Thin White Duke?

Throwing darts in lovers' eyes

by scarab @, Friday, September 13, 2013, 10:02 (3876 days ago) @ marmot 1333

darts don't get much love in first person shooters.

Evolution of the Duke

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, September 12, 2013, 14:58 (3877 days ago) @ Kermit

That's the exact order my mind went through when I saw your subject line.

I love a good wheel gun. I wonder if we can load it John Wayne style. Load one, skip one, and load four more.

I just stopped by to say: Gene Chandler.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Thursday, September 12, 2013, 15:01 (3877 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

I considered Ellington.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, September 12, 2013, 15:06 (3877 days ago) @ Malagate

- No text -

Him too.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Thursday, September 12, 2013, 15:08 (3877 days ago) @ Kermit

Shame on me not thinking of him first; being a local and all.

~M

And I'm the one who gets called old.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, September 12, 2013, 17:16 (3877 days ago) @ Malagate

And yeah, I knew who both of them were. Gene Chandler was my other first thought.

Enter standard "haha ur olde" insult here

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Thursday, September 12, 2013, 15:07 (3877 days ago) @ bluerunner
edited by Grizzlei, Thursday, September 12, 2013, 15:12

I want to find an old rusty 1911 out in the American frontier and bring her back to life. :)

Insert "you have much to learn" insult here

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, September 12, 2013, 17:09 (3877 days ago) @ Grizzlei
edited by bluerunner, Thursday, September 12, 2013, 17:12

I want to find an old rusty 1911 out in the American frontier and bring her back to life. :)

The American frontier was officially closed in 1890 (ask Kermit, he was there), a good 20 years before John Browning introduced the M1911.

That said, I don't really go for the old ones, especially the old GI model A1s. They've got really short sights and the flat grip isn't all that. Plus that long trigger pull. Get you a good series 70. They're fun to shoot.

Swinging this back on target, if Bungie had called me up and said "Hey Blue, give us an obscure revolver for inspiration" I would have given them this. The Mateba Autorevolver. It's a recoil operated revolver. The barrel is aligned with the lower cylinder, which helps reduce muzzle flip. It's just the kind of creativity I like to see in my distopian future videogames.

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Thursday, September 12, 2013, 17:19 (3877 days ago) @ bluerunner
edited by Grizzlei, Thursday, September 12, 2013, 17:23

The American frontier was officially closed in 1890 (ask Kermit, he was there), a good 20 years before John Browning introduced the M1911.

Well in any case, you and I will start the New Old American West!

That said, I don't really go for the old ones, especially the old GI model A1s. They've got really short sights and the flat grip isn't all that. Plus that long trigger pull. Get you a good series 70. They're fun to shoot.

I haven't shot many older pistols, just a 1911A1 and an assortment of my grandfather's and uncle's revolvers. I've been shooting a Springfield Operator for a few years now and always get excited aiming it down range. Thinking of getting something new though.

Swinging this back on target, if Bungie had called me up and said "Hey Blue, give us an obscure revolver for inspiration" I would have given them this. The Mateba Autorevolver. It's a recoil operated revolver. The barrel is aligned with the lower cylinder, which helps reduce muzzle flip. It's just the kind of creativity I like to see in my distopian future videogames.

I fell in love with the Mateba so many years ago while watching Ghost in the Shell. I'm sure there's plenty of likeminded fans at Bungie who probably remembered Togusa's weapon of choice. :)

by Hyokin, New York, Thursday, September 12, 2013, 18:23 (3877 days ago) @ Grizzlei

The only shooting I've done in recent years has been at my mom's house. You know how it goes, "Hey honey, hold my wine and watch me hit the target you just missed six-times in a row."

Or is that just my mom?

...I love my mommy.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Friday, September 13, 2013, 11:41 (3876 days ago) @ Grizzlei

I fell in love with the Mateba so many years ago while watching Ghost in the Shell. I'm sure there's plenty of likeminded fans at Bungie who probably remembered Togusa's weapon of choice. :)

That pistol helped make the character for me.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, September 12, 2013, 18:31 (3877 days ago) @ bluerunner

Ah, blue. You can always make me LOL.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Friday, September 13, 2013, 11:41 (3876 days ago) @ Kermit

What was it like, Kerm?

Is this for real?

by scarab @, Friday, September 13, 2013, 10:11 (3876 days ago) @ bluerunner
edited by scarab, Friday, September 13, 2013, 10:14

http://www.neatorama.com/2012/05/07/three-barreled-revolver/#!jcN2v

What about a belt of bullets wrapped in a spiral? I wonder how many bullets could be crammed in that way?

PS Hey Jude in a flow chart.

Is this for real?

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, September 13, 2013, 10:50 (3876 days ago) @ scarab

I'vs seen that year's ago. I think it was just a one-off novelty. This one would be fun to duel wield: http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/news/2013/3/video-big-gun-watch-world%E2%80%99s-largest-revolver-being-fired-47304/

What about a belt of bullets wrapped in a spiral? I wonder how many bullets could be crammed in that way?

A belt fed pistol? It would be cumbersome and heavy. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is these guys. You could do an AR-15 pistol style conversion with this. http://www.lakesideguns.com

PS Hey Jude in a flow chart.

Guess what I'll have stuck in my head for the rest of the day.

Is this for real?

by scarab @, Saturday, September 14, 2013, 02:45 (3876 days ago) @ bluerunner

A belt fed pistol? It would be cumbersome and heavy. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is these guys. You could do an AR-15 pistol style conversion with this. http://www.lakesideguns.com

I was thinking of packing the bullets into the revolving thingy - like wot Quirel showed (only somewhat less extravagant!)

And those Lakeside people are as mad as a bag of weasels.

Guess what I'll have stuck in my head for the rest of the day.

My work is done...

Step aside, Bluerunner.

by Quirel, Friday, September 13, 2013, 19:37 (3876 days ago) @ scarab

Heh. I've seen several like that. Sadly, it's not enough dakka.

This is closer.

*grins*
Oh, yes. Watch as I reach back through time and space and several internet connections to bring you...

The Calico M950
[image]

Yup. That odd plastic protuberance on the top? That's a helical magazine loaded with .22LR or 9mm parabellum, depending on the model.

[image]

So, to answer your question, the first picture I posted of the Calico M950 has a 100rd magazine. The picture below shows two hundred-round magazines and a 50 round loaded.

[image]

The same company also sells carbines, and are even working on a shotgun!

More information.

There is even a scoped version

by scarab @, Saturday, September 14, 2013, 02:31 (3876 days ago) @ Quirel

who says that the M6D is unrealistic? ;-)

Step aside, Bluerunner.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Sunday, September 15, 2013, 12:30 (3874 days ago) @ Quirel

So, to answer your question, the first picture I posted of the Calico M950 has a 100rd magazine. The picture below shows two hundred-round magazines and a 50 round loaded.

That's pretty neat. Haven't seen those. I have seen the revolver before. There's no good way to carry something like that though.

I've seen 100 round drums for .22's (I think GSG makes one). The biggest I have is a 50 round, and it jammed like crazy. The problem I have with that Calico is that it puts the sights way up above the barrel. That's going to screw with aiming at short distances. You're going to have to do a fairly good holdover to be accurate. I think I'd rather just go with a drum that drops below the gun.

Step aside, Bluerunner.

by Quirel, Sunday, September 15, 2013, 15:26 (3874 days ago) @ bluerunner

That's pretty neat. Haven't seen those.

I hear they're fun to shoot.

The problem I have with that Calico is that it puts the sights way up above the barrel. That's going to screw with aiming at short distances. You're going to have to do a fairly good holdover to be accurate.

With one hundred rounds, who needs accuracy?

Joking aside, you've got a point, and it's probably made worse by the fact that the rear sight is mounted on the magazine.

I think I'd rather just go with a drum that drops below the gun.

Why not an underslung helical magazine?

Oh, and I just found this baby. You want a futuristic handgun, how about a selective fire pistol that fires caseless ammo from a 42 round box magazine? It's one of three guns I know of that accepts a tandem magazine!

Yet another gun.

by Quirel, Sunday, September 15, 2013, 15:05 (3874 days ago) @ scarab

So, Scarab linked to this tri-barreled revolver, which got me thinking.

[image]

Back in the 1960's, America's Project SALVO focused on burst-fire with small projectiles or fletchettes. The light recoil and high rate of fire desired by the project would result in much higher hit probabilities than... Ok, sod it, elements in the US Army wanted burst fire and pattern fire rifles, and many of the prototypes submitted by multiple companies had three barrels.

Forty years later, over in Deutschland...

Mind if I try to one-up you?

by Quirel, Friday, September 13, 2013, 20:15 (3876 days ago) @ bluerunner

Swinging this back on target, if Bungie had called me up and said "Hey Blue, give us an obscure revolver for inspiration" I would have given them this.

If we want REALLY obscure, we can go with the ugliest revolver ever put to mass production: The Dardick Tround Revolver, the only magazine-fed revolver that I know of.*

Yesh, I said "Magazine fed."

How about really, REALLY obscure? As in, "if you want to get an idea of how they worked, better go hunt down the patent" obscure? Because I'm talking about a 3-round burst, 4,900RPM assault rifle prototyped by General Electric. I can't find any images of it that I trust, so I'm just going to shrug and say that it probably was only ever a proof-of-concept.

*And, of course, a quick Google search shows other mag-fed revolvers out there. On one of my favorite sites, even.

The Mateba Autorevolver. It's a recoil operated revolver. The barrel is aligned with the lower cylinder, which helps reduce muzzle flip. It's just the kind of creativity I like to see in my distopian future videogames.

Oddly enough, this is the first time I've seen that model of Mateba.

Mind if I try to one-up you?

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Friday, September 13, 2013, 20:19 (3876 days ago) @ Quirel

Seems like it would be weird to fire that, but kinda fun also.

by scarab @, Saturday, September 14, 2013, 02:52 (3876 days ago) @ bluerunner

That particular revolver where the revolving bit sits in front of the trigger has the barrel aligned with the top cylinder.

It's their other revolvers where the revolving bit is above the trigger that has the barrel aligned with the bottom cylinder (which seems a sensible arrangement if you can get it to work).

ALWAYS make sure you have your .44

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Thursday, September 12, 2013, 19:30 (3877 days ago) @ Kermit

[image]

Reminded me of the M1 pistol as well

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Friday, September 13, 2013, 09:45 (3876 days ago) @ Pyromancy

[image]

Especially this image, for some reason. Maybe it's the color palette, because the structure really isn't all that similar.
[image]

I kind of hope this white version has some life left in it somewhere in the design stage, though. Looks badass.

Evolution of the Duke

by scarab @, Saturday, September 14, 2013, 02:58 (3876 days ago) @ Kermit

What is the hammer striking? Given that the barrel is aligned with the bottom cylinder?

Maybe it hits a piezoelectric crystal and the bullets are electrically detonated. Saves on batteries.

Evolution of the Duke

by Quirel, Saturday, September 14, 2013, 13:19 (3875 days ago) @ scarab

Wow. Good eye.

I guess the hammer is in an ergonomically correct position for manually cycling the cylinder. As for how it works, I'll have to see how it shoots in-game before I form any solid opinions. But peizoelectric firing? That's genius.

Greased Pig

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, September 16, 2013, 21:03 (3873 days ago) @ Kermit

I'm still waiting for a better gun than the MA-75B. This is the future dammit. Fix that manufacturing defect, and you've got a wicked powerful gun there!

Greased Pig

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, September 16, 2013, 21:25 (3873 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I loved that gun. Especially the way it looked in M2 and Infinity.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread