Donald Glover looks amazing as Lando. (Off-Topic)

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, February 04, 2018, 18:43 (2265 days ago)

Just had to say it.

I was pretty firmly in the "we don't need a Han Solo prequel movie" camp, but that teaser looked cool. Some of those shots look straight out of Blade Runner 2049, and now all I want is a cyberpunk noir Star Wars movie.

I still hope this movie doesn't turn into the Han Solo greatest hits movie, where we see literally every reference Han ever made to his past in a movie, but I guess we'll see.

P.S. I finally did watch Blade Runner 2049. It was incredible.

Donald Glover looks amazing as Lando.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, February 04, 2018, 20:31 (2265 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Just had to say it.

I was pretty firmly in the "we don't need a Han Solo prequel movie" camp, but that teaser looked cool. Some of those shots look straight out of Blade Runner 2049, and now all I want is a cyberpunk noir Star Wars movie.

I still hope this movie doesn't turn into the Han Solo greatest hits movie, where we see literally every reference Han ever made to his past in a movie, but I guess we'll see.

Isn't it, though? I have a habit of dragging friends to see movies I'm crazy about. That said, I haven't seen a movie three times in the theater since Serenity. And I promptly watched it again when the disc came out.

BR 2049

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, February 04, 2018, 21:04 (2265 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Speaking of that, I am on version 2 of my fancut. If anyone here wants to test screen this and give feedback (and please be critical), email me. Clicking the mail icon next to my name should work. I kind of have to know you here though. If I recognize your username, you should be fine :-)

I feel like it's 98% done.

BR 2049

by Kahzgul, Sunday, February 04, 2018, 23:06 (2265 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You and I both know it's never done. :P

Also, if you want me to make up some studio-type notes, I totally love that game. We got a great one my show last week:

- This music sounds too much like our show. Do we have something less like that?

Executives, man. They really shouldn't have the final word in creative endeavors.

BR 2049

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, February 05, 2018, 08:33 (2264 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Also, if you want me to make up some studio-type notes, I totally love that game. We got a great one my show last week:

- This music sounds too much like our show. Do we have something less like that?

Executives, man. They really shouldn't have the final word in creative endeavors.

It’s my personal belief the klunky and overly on the nose flashbacks / line repeats were due to some executive not understanding the plot and wanting it spelled out.

BR 2049

by Kahzgul, Monday, February 05, 2018, 21:44 (2264 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It’s my personal belief the klunky and overly on the nose flashbacks / line repeats were due to some executive not understanding the plot and wanting it spelled out.

I absolutely believe that.

"Why is this so confusing?" - Executive who didn't look up from his cell phone all screening/

"This is dumb. I feel like I'd have to watch the movie two or three times to really understand what's happening." - another executive who understands neither plot nor good business decisions.

"Where's my fucking salad?!" - Executive number 3, who is purportedly the one 'in charge.'

The miracle of film isn't that movies get made, it's than any *good* ones ever sneak past the executives.

BR 2049

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, February 05, 2018, 22:01 (2264 days ago) @ Kahzgul

The miracle of film isn't that movies get made, it's than any *good* ones ever sneak past the executives.

For every one that doesn't care, there's another one that is really good at their job. At least in the film world.

BR 2049

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, February 07, 2018, 02:35 (2263 days ago) @ Cody Miller

For every one that doesn't care, there's another one that is really good at their job. At least in the film world.

Not in TV. There's like one guy who cares and like 20 guys who want to do just barely enough to justify keeping their jobs.

I'll screen it.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, February 05, 2018, 09:03 (2264 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Probably won't get to it this week, though.

Your email isn't enabled

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Monday, February 05, 2018, 23:26 (2264 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Clicking the mail icon next to my name should work.

But totally interested. :)

IT Is NOW

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, February 06, 2018, 08:09 (2263 days ago) @ Beorn

Send away.

While you're at it, you can update your flair now.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, February 06, 2018, 08:13 (2263 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Music of the Spheres has been freed.

BR2049: meh

by Funkmon @, Monday, February 05, 2018, 00:31 (2265 days ago) @ cheapLEY

That movie was 2 hours of my life I do not consider wasted, but would rather have spent doing something perhaps slightly more productive or watching FOTR with the 3rd commentary track on.

BR2049: meh

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, February 05, 2018, 08:34 (2264 days ago) @ Funkmon

That movie was 2 hours of my life I do not consider wasted, but would rather have spent doing something perhaps slightly more productive or watching FOTR with the 3rd commentary track on.

Did you not finish it? The whole thing is 2 hrs 43 mins!

Donald Glover always looks amazing*

by ProbablyLast, Monday, February 05, 2018, 00:43 (2265 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

+1

by breitzen @, Kansas, Monday, February 05, 2018, 10:21 (2264 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

- No text -

+2

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Monday, February 05, 2018, 13:38 (2264 days ago) @ breitzen

- No text -

+3

by MacGyver10 ⌂, Tennessee, Tuesday, February 06, 2018, 06:48 (2263 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Always.

[image]

- MacGyver10

Mark Noseworthy tackles the real issue on Twitter:

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, February 07, 2018, 21:42 (2262 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I don’t understand the “Lucasfilm is making too many Star Wars movies” concerns coming from people who gladly watch 10+ Marvel movies/series per year.

We haven’t begun to approach that level of saturation and even if we were, the SW universe is rich with mystery and character.

If anything, Marvel is rehashing or retelling stories that already exist while much of what we’re going to be getting with future Star Wars are all new characters and stories. So in that sense, it’s actually more novel and original.

This doesn’t mean I’m excited about every picture they announce, nor would I want to see it get to 5 movies a year, but it feels like a pretty big overreaction to the announcements of some future trilogies we have no release dates or details on whatsoever.

Having consumed a lot of the Legends and EU material I know I’m not super normal or mainstream in my desire for Star Wars content. But even those stories - while rarely amazing - give me a lot of hope there are endless places to go on the silver screen. Original or adaptations.

I'm worried all these movies will mean we get fewer books.

by Funkmon @, Thursday, February 08, 2018, 01:24 (2262 days ago) @ cheapLEY

This is a dumb worry, especially because the movies get novelizations.

But still. I've blasted through now almost all of the new canon books, and they've all been fun except for one which was so bad I had to stop, and one which made me feel bad when a good guy turned to the dark side and betrayed his girlfriend.

I just hope they keep up with the frankly unsustainable rate of one every couple of months.

I saw that and loved it

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, February 08, 2018, 06:53 (2261 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I'm by no means a huge Star Wars expert, but I've read enough books and played enough games to recognize that the Star Wars universe has a nearly unlimited capacity for interesting stories. People can feel free to critique individual films all they want, when they come out, but just saying that having "too many" is automatically bad is nonsense.

Even in Marvel's case, the reason many of the movies feel samey (and I say that having enjoyed pretty much every one that I've seen) isn't just because there's a lot of them, it's because they intentionally stick to a formula that's been proven to succeed. So far I don't see a lot of danger of that in Star Wars. The original and prequel trilogies felt different from each other, obviously. The new trilogy started out being very reminiscent of the original but I think it's fair to say now that that was just to get people back into it - The Last Jedi certainly seems to be taking its own path now, whatever you may think of it. And Rogue one wasn't afraid to do its own thing.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread