It finally happened (Destiny)

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, February 06, 2018, 22:26 (2268 days ago)

No, not the SpaceX launch.

Not my first D2 raid completion (although that TECHNICALLY did happen last week, if you count the last encounter by itself as a raid, which the game apparently does).

No, much better than any of that. I finally came across a group of blueberries who spread out and captured the plates efficiently in a Vex public event!

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/stabbim/video/43691021

I checked out each plate, and started going to the high one because from below, I couldn't tell whether the player up there was participating or just happened to be nearby. But once I got up there, it was clear that they were capturing the plate. This left me to take up position near the conflux and make sure stragglers didn't sneak through. Everyone was shooting well and nothing ever got close.

This has never happened to me before in my entire time playing D2. Not once. That actually makes it rarer than any exotic, using only the meter of my personal experience anyway. Every single other time, it goes (more or less) like this:

1. The event starts. Blueberries all appear to be defending conflux. This is OK, I can do the plates myself if NOTHING goes wrong. I head to the first plate.

2. I get maybe 15% done capturing first plate. All blueberries are now on it with me. No one is defending conflux. No one is even looking at conflux. I fruitlessly try to communicate to blueberries that they don't ALL need to be there. Message is not received. They all think I'm trying to kill an invisible enemy who just HAPPENS to always be standing at the same location as their faces.

3. I return to conflux so we don't get 10 Vex through and lose before plates are even done.

4. All blueberries have now followed me to conflux. Reasoning is unknown, and also doubtful. First plate is not captured yet.

5. I return to first plate.

6. GOTO 2

Side note: Up until tonight, I didn't actually like Conspirator that much. I kept it because I wanted another full auto energy scout to fill a void role, but I didn't care for it (except the sound) and was kind of hoping I'd get another Metronome to replace it. For some reason, tonight it just clicked. I like it now.

It finally happened

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, February 06, 2018, 22:40 (2268 days ago) @ stabbim

I actually find that surprising. The randos I encounter are usually pretty efficient and all public events, and I've never had a problem with this one in particular. Sometimes folks double up on plates when they don't necessarily need to, but I don't think I've ever seen people group up on a plate and ignore the conflux altogether.

It finally happened

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, February 06, 2018, 22:59 (2268 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Every so often I run into folks (sometimes even all level 25 Blueberries) who cannot seem to grasp the concept of Heroic Public Events. Admittedly, most of them I can trigger solo (the ability to crouch at the shield on the Injection rig with my gun through the shield but my body outside it so I take no damage is a life saver [literally]) sometimes they try to do everything in their power to not let that happen. Like when they get out the Scorch Cannons and just demolish the first walker before I can even get the 5th core deposited. ugh.

Thankfully most people are pretty good about Public Events now. But rarely do I get full groups who seem to all do the right things independently.

It finally happened

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, February 06, 2018, 23:15 (2268 days ago) @ Harmanimus

I still run into groups doing the Taken events and not triggering the Heroics. I think a bunch of folks still think it happens by shooting the blights because that's what they're doing when the one person who actually knows how to trigger it does so.

Hell, that's what I thought for weeks before someone actually told me.

That one is actually pretty difficult to figure out what's going on, I think. If you're shooting the blights, you can't really see outside of their bubbles, so it's hard to notice if someone else is in another blight ducking in and out of it for the buff. Even the status is sort of easy to overlook. It's brief and only happens if you leave a blight.

It finally happened

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, February 06, 2018, 23:26 (2268 days ago) @ cheapLEY

That one is actually pretty difficult to figure out what's going on, I think. If you're shooting the blights, you can't really see outside of their bubbles, so it's hard to notice if someone else is in another blight ducking in and out of it for the buff. Even the status is sort of easy to overlook. It's brief and only happens if you leave a blight.

Yep. And on top of that, if you DO notice someone shooting the big blight and try it yourself, most likely you just get "immune." You'd have no way of knowing that there's a way to damage it, and you'd conclude that the person shooting it doesn't know what they're doing. That's what I did the first few times.

It finally happened

by Harmanimus @, Wednesday, February 07, 2018, 14:26 (2267 days ago) @ stabbim

It is a strange one. Thankfully it gets easier to solo trigger on the second and third manifestations. So usually I can finish it on one of those even if the eother folks aren’t sure what they’re doing. Sometimes they do catch on though which is a plus.

It finally happened

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, February 06, 2018, 23:32 (2268 days ago) @ Harmanimus

Every so often I run into folks (sometimes even all level 25 Blueberries) who cannot seem to grasp the concept of Heroic Public Events. Admittedly, most of them I can trigger solo (the ability to crouch at the shield on the Injection rig with my gun through the shield but my body outside it so I take no damage is a life saver [literally]) sometimes they try to do everything in their power to not let that happen. Like when they get out the Scorch Cannons and just demolish the first walker before I can even get the 5th core deposited. ugh.

Thankfully most people are pretty good about Public Events now. But rarely do I get full groups who seem to all do the right things independently.

In general I have noticed things getting better. The Fallen walkers are almost always good - you do get people trying to kill them occasionally, but the huge majority of players know what's up. There's usually not enough noobs to actually kill the thing.

The Cabal drill thing (I forget the name) also goes well. Most players are shooting the ship before it even gets into position.

Even the Hive thing on Titan seems to go smoothly. It's been months since I did one of those and there wasn't at least one other person shooting the crystals.

The Vex one is special, I think, because it's a little counterintuitive that putting more people in doesn't speed up the plates, when that does work for SOME things in Destiny (though not all - I don't PvP, but I heard something about capture points in there). And also because doing the heroic trigger without neglecting the basic objective requires some halfway intelligent positioning.

It finally happened

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, February 06, 2018, 23:53 (2268 days ago) @ stabbim

The Vex one is special, I think, because it's a little counterintuitive that putting more people in doesn't speed up the plates, when that does work for SOME things in Destiny (though not all - I don't PvP, but I heard something about capture points in there). And also because doing the heroic trigger without neglecting the basic objective requires some halfway intelligent positioning.

Does that work for anything in D2? The capture points in Crucible don't go faster for sure, because I remember that being a talking point at release (unless it's been changed in a balance patch or something). I don't think it works for that Vex event, and you seem to be saying it doesn't, but I actually don't know for sure because I just don't pay that much attention. I don't think it matters during the Pyramidion strike in the boss phase, but those go so fast anyway it's hard to tell.

It's been a few weeks since I've actually done it, but the last time I played folks still seemed to not know how to start he heroic for the event on Mercury. It was probably under 50%. That's another hard one to know, unless someone tells you or you directly witness the trigger. The things you shoot aren't exactly obvious, since most players aren't looking out that way and just turn to run back towards the mancannon once the Hydra is dead.

It finally happened

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Wednesday, February 07, 2018, 06:38 (2268 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Does that work for anything in D2? The capture points in Crucible don't go faster for sure, because I remember that being a talking point at release (unless it's been changed in a balance patch or something). I don't think it works for that Vex event, and you seem to be saying it doesn't, but I actually don't know for sure because I just don't pay that much attention. I don't think it matters during the Pyramidion strike in the boss phase, but those go so fast anyway it's hard to tell.

The faction rally public event is the only thing I've seen that seems to go faster with more people on the capture point, and I'm still not 100% sure on that one.

-Disciple

It finally happened

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, February 07, 2018, 06:51 (2268 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

The faction rally public event is the only thing I've seen that seems to go faster with more people on the capture point, and I'm still not 100% sure on that one.

You're not crazy, it definitely does. That was one that I was thinking of at the time. The glimmer pile capture in the Fallen-public-event-that-isn't-walkers does, too. I've actually seen that one fail because people weren't in it enough and it didn't get to 100% before time ran out. I'm fairly sure the Cabal drill thing (before Heroic is triggered) does as well, although I haven't tested that one thoroughly.

It finally happened

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, February 07, 2018, 07:02 (2268 days ago) @ stabbim

Yeah... I think so on the drill. I sometimes step out if there's too many people there to get the dropship time to come.

It finally happened

by Harmanimus @, Wednesday, February 07, 2018, 14:31 (2267 days ago) @ stabbim

I’m pretty sure so long as one person stays on the glimmer pile it will keep going even with no time remaining. It is one of the hardest ones to manage solo (as in the full event solo, not just triggering) because of how swarmed you get and the big guy knocking you off in most of the places the piles drop.

Occasionally positioning isn't enough

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, February 07, 2018, 09:15 (2267 days ago) @ stabbim

And also because doing the heroic trigger without neglecting the basic objective requires some halfway intelligent positioning.

If I can skip the Hallows on Nessus, I do, because it's the one Sacrifice event where it's impossible to position yourself to cover ANY of the main objective if you're working the plates (well, 2 of them). Even the one at Exodus Black, where the third plate is two rows up and away from the main conflux, is better - you can throw grenades that MOSTLY keep the area clean while you're on the plate.

Hallows, though - two of the plates are out of sight and with too much in the way. If there aren't at least 2 other people there, I just skip it.

Very true

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, February 07, 2018, 09:23 (2267 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

Heh. Nice. Now call us when they do the Taken Event right :p

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, February 06, 2018, 23:35 (2268 days ago) @ stabbim

- No text -

Guilty

by Oholiab @, Wednesday, February 07, 2018, 07:19 (2268 days ago) @ Ragashingo
edited by Oholiab, Wednesday, February 07, 2018, 07:23

Crazymoose and I had this one all wrong for the longest time. We thought that if you wanted to trigger the heroic, you had to eliminate all the little blights before hitting the big one. We tried time after time and obviously never got it to trigger.

Then one day we were with a pretty big group of randoms who managed to eliminate the big blight on the very first round, and that opened our eyes. Eventually we figured out the buff, and now we’re in the know.

Apologies to everyone for whom we screwed up the event in our ignorance!

Turning allies into adversaries

by Robot Chickens, Wednesday, February 07, 2018, 12:18 (2267 days ago) @ Oholiab
edited by Robot Chickens, Wednesday, February 07, 2018, 12:46

It's interesting from a game design perspective. Some of the heroic events require people to actively work against the traditional encounter. It puts those with knowledge in direct competition with those who don't know any better. I'm not sure that's great for the feelings you get when you encounter blueberries. There's always an anxiety about whether they'll thwart your efforts.

G > F1 > Report Player > Griefing > Sabotage

by Harmanimus @, Wednesday, February 07, 2018, 14:33 (2267 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

- No text -

+1

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, February 07, 2018, 07:23 (2268 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

It finally happened

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Wednesday, February 07, 2018, 09:53 (2267 days ago) @ stabbim

Heh. They must like your armor or something. Reading through your description was flat-out mindblowing. I have never. Ever. EVER had someone explicitly follow me (D1 or D2) without me telling them to. Now, there have always been plenty of instances where someone else and myself were going to the same place, but we'd separate the second our paths were no longer common. But I've never herd of that before!

Next time you have a problem like that, just stay on the plate, and use grenades or rockets to blast out any attackers. I've had to create(and complete) HPE's alone, pretty much all the time. Just float up in place so you lose as little plate time as possible. As long as the others are shooting Vex and actually doing something, it should be a cakewalk.

It finally happened

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, February 07, 2018, 12:39 (2267 days ago) @ Morpheus

Maybe I need to clarify. It's not their following me that bothers me. I don't have personal space issues in Destiny. We all just pass through each other anyway, right?

The point is that they all group up on one plate, which does not make it capture faster. Which means that splitting up and doing them all at the same time is better. If I'm already on a plate, there is NO good reason for anyone else to need to be there, except maybe to help kill things. But capturing a different plate or defending the center conflux should be a WAY bigger priority than helping me on a plate I was already on. I don't need 3 people to help me kill one occasional Fanatic.

Notice how the randos in my video split up and captured all 3 plates simultaneously. And since they were doing that, I didn't go stand on a plate, because I wouldn't accomplish anything by doing so. It was more productive for me to just stand center (my location didn't REALLY matter, that was just a good spot where I could see everything) and help kill Vex. This was doing it right.

It finally happened

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Wednesday, February 07, 2018, 15:03 (2267 days ago) @ stabbim

Oh I know that, I'm just saying I've never seen people following others in and out of plates, as per the description.

So far, either everyone takes a plate, or I do it alone. But yeah, just use them as bullet sponges if they follow you to each plate/conflux, or wherever.

It finally happened

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, February 07, 2018, 15:16 (2267 days ago) @ Morpheus

Oh I know that, I'm just saying I've never seen people following others in and out of plates, as per the description.

Ah, I see. I guess I just meant to illustrate that they were making exactly the WRONG tactical moves at the wrong times. I don't think they're literally following me. I'm not even sure they see me sometimes TBH.

So far, either everyone takes a plate, or I do it alone. But yeah, just use them as bullet sponges if they follow you to each plate/conflux, or wherever.

My feeling is that if they're not going to realize the redundancy, I need to do it for them and go be useful somewhere else. But unhelpful players dying is always funny, I guess.

It finally happened

by BaghdadBean, Oregon, Wednesday, February 07, 2018, 11:44 (2267 days ago) @ stabbim

I like the Conspirator. Especially against Cabal and shielded enemies.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread