Fans of 2D Platformers: Get Celeste! (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, February 07, 2018, 18:12 (2268 days ago)

It's really good! Super Meat Boy is a good comparison, but Celeste isn't ugly and has a neat story (so far, anyhow).

Maybe don't get it on Switch, though. Nintendo done screwed up. The joy-cons don't have an actual d-pad, and instead use four face buttons in the position a d-pad normally occupies. It works for most games, but for games that actually need a d-pad, it's complete garbage.

I'm honestly considering abandoning the game on Switch and rebuying it on PS4, it's that bad. It's a game that requires very precise timing and jumps, and having a garbage set of buttons really screws that up.

That doesn't take away from what seems to be a brilliant game, though.

Buckle up, folks, 2018 is already a good year for games, and it's just started.

Fans of 2D Platformers: Get Celeste!

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, February 07, 2018, 18:30 (2268 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by Cody Miller, Wednesday, February 07, 2018, 18:39

It's really good! Super Meat Boy is a good comparison, but Celeste isn't ugly and has a neat story (so far, anyhow).

Maybe don't get it on Switch, though. Nintendo done screwed up. The joy-cons don't have an actual d-pad, and instead use four face buttons in the position a d-pad normally occupies. It works for most games, but for games that actually need a d-pad, it's complete garbage.

I'm honestly considering abandoning the game on Switch and rebuying it on PS4, it's that bad. It's a game that requires very precise timing and jumps, and having a garbage set of buttons really screws that up.

That doesn't take away from what seems to be a brilliant game, though.

Buckle up, folks, 2018 is already a good year for games, and it's just started.

It's on my list after The Red Strings Club. But I actually think both Celeste and Super Meat Boy are ugly games. I don't know what it is, but nobody seems to be able to make a good looking retro game these days (except Wadjeteye).

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, February 07, 2018, 20:47 (2268 days ago) @ cheapLEY

What do you mean here? The Xbox D-Pad is digital (as in, each direction either pressed or not, no nuances), so how is it different than 4 buttons?

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, February 07, 2018, 21:09 (2268 days ago) @ ZackDark

What do you mean here? The Xbox D-Pad is digital (as in, each direction either pressed or not, no nuances), so how is it different than 4 buttons?

First of all, I wouldn't hold up the Xbox d-pad as good, either. It's passable, but it's not great.

It's about feel. It's easier to slide my thumb around on a d-pad than it is with four circular buttons. They're small and spaced too far apart to easily slide my thumb around like I can on a d-pad.

Just for clarity's sake, here's a picture:

[image]

No d-pad, four circular face buttons. To move diagonally, you need to press two of these buttons at the same time. This design makes that difficult to do accurately, whereas a d-pad just feels better and makes it much easier to do reliably.

The Dualshock 4 also has four distinct buttons, too. But they're larger and much closer to each other, and honestly, being squared off and having that hard edge is a bigger deal than it might seem in terms of feeling.

[image]

Gotcha

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, February 08, 2018, 06:47 (2268 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

Unrelated: Super NT

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, February 07, 2018, 21:26 (2268 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by cheapLEY, Wednesday, February 07, 2018, 21:29

Have a bunch of old SNES games laying around but can't hook your SNES up to a modern TV?

For a mere $200, you can get the new Super NT. I won't pretend to actually understand the real difference between FPGA and software emulation, but FPGA apparently has much better latency, so if you're a freak for SNES, maybe it's worth the cost.

It does look neat, and it seems like it does what it's supposed to do extremely well.

Here's a Giant Bomb stream where they play a bunch of SNES games.

I figured I'd just use my own already OT thread, rather than starting a new one, and this made sense given Cody's comment about retro art. I think emulation and stuff like this is absolutely fascinating, even if I don't actually have any desire to own anything like this.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, February 08, 2018, 06:42 (2268 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Have a bunch of old SNES games laying around but can't hook your SNES up to a modern TV?

For a mere $200, you can get the new Super NT. I won't pretend to actually understand the real difference between FPGA and software emulation, but FPGA apparently has much better latency, so if you're a freak for SNES, maybe it's worth the cost.

FPGA is a set of programmable logic gates. So you set up those logic gates to become a certain chip. It's basically like having the real actual chip. It's flexible, and with a firmware update you can change the setup. It's how SD2SNES can add support for different addon chips later on.

Emulation translates the game instructions from one hardware platform to another.

200 seems like a lot when you can get a real snes at a used game store or ebay for much less.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, February 08, 2018, 07:23 (2268 days ago) @ Cody Miller

200 seems like a lot when you can get a real snes at a used game store or ebay for much less.

I cannot confirm this because I haven't tried it myself, but I have heard some people say that connecting those old analog consoles to modern displays results in not-great visuals. I've heard it described as "blurred" and "muted colors." Supposedly these newer FPGA jobbies which are intended to work with HDMI and modern displays look better.

Hopefully, I'll find out for myself eventually. I have an old Atari 2600 which MAY still work and I intend to find out once I get around to buying an old TV tuner with composite out so that I can connect it to something semi-recent.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, February 08, 2018, 07:41 (2268 days ago) @ stabbim

I cannot confirm this because I haven't tried it myself, but I have heard some people say that connecting those old analog consoles to modern displays results in not-great visuals. I've heard it described as "blurred" and "muted colors." Supposedly these newer FPGA jobbies which are intended to work with HDMI and modern displays look better.

This is true. Connecting old consoles to anything other than a CRT SDTV will make them look like ass. These old games were never intended to be seen on anything other than a CRT, so it will always look off on a LCD / Plasma / whatever. Scalers are not built to handle the pixel art, and so it looks terrible and blurry with the TV scalers. It is certainly possible that the new consoles have a different video output chip that handles scaling well, but results are still 'wrong', because the pixel art was intended to be shown on a CRT, where the edges are not so defined and sharp.

Basically, connecting the analog outputs to your HDVT will make it too blurry, and connecting an HDMI out will make it too sharp.

3D games fare much better when it comes to scaling, and have far fewer problems.

From best to worst:

1. Component, S-Video or SCART on an SDTV.
2. Composite on an SDTV.
3. RF video on an SDTV.
4. Scaler on the console or emulator.
5. Scaler on the TV.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, February 08, 2018, 08:01 (2268 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Mine is coming today. After I get a chance to try it out I'll let you know my thoughts (and maybe some recordings to show how it looks).

everyone Should get the switch pro controller anyway

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Saturday, February 10, 2018, 11:46 (2266 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Seems like a better use of money than rebuying the game because then you make every game on switch better (that I have played so far)

And you show Nintendo the world likes what I like.

I’m just saying, a little more coordinated effort and we could have saved the duke and maybe even made the GameCube controller large enough for me to hold.

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, February 10, 2018, 17:09 (2265 days ago) @ Vortech
edited by cheapLEY, Saturday, February 10, 2018, 17:24

Seems like a better use of money than rebuying the game because then you make every game on switch better (that I have played so far)

And you show Nintendo the world likes what I like.

I’m just saying, a little more coordinated effort and we could have saved the duke and maybe even made the GameCube controller large enough for me to hold.

Two things:

-I pretty much only play the Switch in handheld mode.

-I have the pro controller, and the d-pad on that thing sucks too, to be honest. It's better than the face buttons on the joy-cons, but only just.

In all honesty, the pro controller is fine, but I wish I wouldn't have wasted 70 freaking dollars (seriously Nintendo?) on it. I rarely am not in handheld mode, and it's not that much better better feeling that the joy-con dock thing, really. It's like a subpar 360 controller.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Saturday, February 10, 2018, 18:04 (2265 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Huh. I’m sure not going to say it is my favorite controller ever but I find it so much better than any configuration of joycon. And I think it is about as easy to travel with as the puppy dog joycon dock.

by breitzen @, Kansas, Saturday, February 10, 2018, 18:16 (2265 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Check this out: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gripcase-a-comfortable-case-for-nintendo-switch

I have one ordered. Speedracer loves his.

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, February 10, 2018, 18:45 (2265 days ago) @ breitzen

Check this out: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gripcase-a-comfortable-case-for-nintendo-switch

I have one ordered. Speedracer loves his.

I'm thinking about getting one.

For the record, Vortech, I don't ever travel with mine, so that's not a concern. It's just that, if I'm playing games on the big TV, it's likely going to be something on PS4 that really benefits from that. I played a bit of Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey that way, but neither really looks spectacular that way. I just enjoy lounging around playing those games in handheld mode. I like playing it with some Giant Bomb or YouTube or whatever on in the background on the TV.

I want my 20 dollars back

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, February 13, 2018, 15:49 (2263 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by Cody Miller, Tuesday, February 13, 2018, 15:55

Dude, Celeste sucks. Gave up after 15 minutes. That might be generous.

Oh. And I just found out unlike Steam, you can't delete and refund bad games if you've completed the download. Wonderful.

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, February 13, 2018, 16:29 (2262 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Why? 15 minutes isn’t very far, and the game layers on more mechanics as it goes.

I really like it, although I still haven’t finished it.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, February 13, 2018, 16:37 (2262 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Why? 15 minutes isn’t very far, and the game layers on more mechanics as it goes.

I really like it, although I still haven’t finished it.

Because putting the climb button on R2 instead of a face button is idiotic. And of course no customizable controls.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread