What's good on Xbox? (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, February 11, 2018, 16:46 (2263 days ago)

I got myself a One X. Yeah, it's probably a dumb decision, but $185 in Gamestop credit and a fresh $300 cash from selling some Jeep parts this morning was burning a hole in my pocket, so I did the dumb thing.

It's sort of like coming home in a really dumb way.

My short list right now is:

-Gears of War 4 from the two week trial of Game Pass
-Cuphead
-Forza 7 or Horizon 3, I'm not sure which yet. I love Forza, and nothing on Sony's side even comes close to measuring up for me.

That's honestly it. Are there any other standouts I've missed since late 2015? Recore and Quantum Break don't really interest me that much, and those are the only two biggish exclusives I can think of off the top of my head.

I'm redownloading the Master Chief collection and Halo 5 (and real bummed that I can't find my Reach disc, even though I know I have it around here somewhere) because I'm itching for some Halo.

I don't currently plan on getting Destiny 2 on it, but I'm sure I'll give in to a stupid impulse and end up with it eventually.

Immediately, I'm struck by how good the download speeds are. PSN still sucks in that regard. I'm hitting 200 Mb/s downloading Gears 4, and I don't think PSN has ever come close to that.

What's good on Xbox?

by Kuga, Sunday, February 11, 2018, 17:46 (2263 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I'm playing Gears 4 off and on with more time in Rocket League. Waiting for RDR2 and Crackdown 3 which is in a Duke Nukem Forever release delay loop.

What's good on Xbox?

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, February 11, 2018, 17:57 (2263 days ago) @ Kuga
edited by cheapLEY, Sunday, February 11, 2018, 18:02

I'm playing Gears 4 off and on with more time in Rocket League. Waiting for RDR2 and Crackdown 3 which is in a Duke Nukem Forever release delay loop.

I haven't paid any attention at all--any hints of 343i giving us any Halo 6 news? Is there even a chance they pull a Bethesda and announce it at E3 with a fall release for this year?

I just genuinely haven't paid much attention to the Xbox side of things, so I don't know what I've missed or what to anticipate. Rumors of a new Fable certainly got my attention, and with all first party games launching on Game Pass, I'll be giving Sea of Thieves a shot at least.

I'm legitimately curious to see if third party games will end up being better on One X instead of PS4 Pro. Monster Hunter World seems to be better on the Pro, but I'm not surprised Capcom didn't take the time to really optimize for the One X and instead seemed to opt for just scaling up the base Xbox One version. I can see Rockstar really taking the time to nail it for RDR2, though.

What's good on Xbox?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Sunday, February 11, 2018, 17:59 (2263 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Not a lot of exclusives, but there are a couple good games I'd recommend:

Ori and the Blind Forest - if you like Metroidvania type games, very fun with a moving story and good mechanics
Quantum Break - definitely not the best game you ever play, but I'm a sucker for time travel stories, and I found the action pretty fun and satisfying

What's good on Xbox?

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, February 11, 2018, 18:03 (2263 days ago) @ Xenos

Not a lot of exclusives, but there are a couple good games I'd recommend:

Ori and the Blind Forest - if you like Metroidvania type games, very fun with a moving story and good mechanics

Thanks for that, that looked cool but I forgot all about it. Definitely have to add that one to the list.

Don’t know... I bought a PS4.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, February 11, 2018, 18:17 (2263 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I’ve always been single platform. Basically, just Xbox for the past 15+ years. But right now there is such a lack of platform exclusives that I changed that. I added a PS4 and am basically on course to abandon the Xbox as a platform all together by the next generation. Yeah, Halo is... around. And Forza is still really good if you like racing games. But there’s not much else. At all. :(

What's good on Xbox?

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Sunday, February 11, 2018, 18:57 (2263 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Forza 7 is extremely good in some ways and annoying in other ways, but I'm always down to race if you go that route.

What's good on Xbox?

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, February 11, 2018, 19:11 (2263 days ago) @ stabbim

Forza 7 is extremely good in some ways and annoying in other ways, but I'm always down to race if you go that route.

I had heard some bad stuff about Forza 7, but I'm sure I'll get it soon.

I bought Horizon because it was only $30. I sort of already regret it. It's really fun, but damn it just isn't the same. Everyone talks about about how it still has that Forza feel, and . . . no, it actually doesn't. I have everything off just like I do in Motorsport, and it still seems impossible to actually screw up--the cars still drive like they're on rails.

I also downloaded the Forza 7 demo, and it feels so much better.

Heh, this is me making poor life choices. I'm like 30 hours in to Monster Hunter World and still loving it, I've done the third Colossus in Shadow of the Colossus, and I had to go and buy and entirely different console with its own set of games I don't have enough time for. (:

What's good on Xbox?

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Sunday, February 11, 2018, 22:19 (2263 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by stabbim, Sunday, February 11, 2018, 22:30

I had heard some bad stuff about Forza 7, but I'm sure I'll get it soon.

Speaking of which, I'm not in as much of a rush now as when I wrote that first post, so here goes...

Good:

It drives better than any previous Forza game. The cars' handling just feels right. And that is the point, after all.

The weather effects are finally where they should be, I think. As you probably know, Forza didn't have weather effects at all for a long time. It only got rain in version 6. And they did do a great job, in some ways - Forza 6 actually simulated hydroplaning on standing water, as well as the drag force from going through the puddles. It didn't just say the wet version of the track was X% less grippy, and that's the only difference. So that was great, and the things they were doing with water were things I had not seen before. But the flipside was that Forza 6 treated the wet environment as a static thing. There was a version of the track with rain, and one without, and that was it. The rain version was always in the same state - the rate of rainfall was constant, the puddles stayed the same size the whole time, etc. There was no concept of the track conditions gradually changing. Now, in 7, there are a BUNCH of different states ranging from cloudy to full-on thunderstorm, to foggy. And it believably transitions between them. The track surface gradually gets more slippery and puddles start to build up after it's been raining for a bit. Very good stuff.

The Pagani Zonda R is back, as is the Ferrari F40 Competizione. Those two cars have both been in previous games, but were absent for a while. I'm not even sure when the last time I was able to drive them was, and I have strong emotional attachment to both, so for me it's almost worth the other issues just to have them back.

You can now buy parts, tune cars, and test drive from within the pre-race menu. This is great because it means you can adjust your car setup for the actual race you're doing, if you're someone who likes to do that, without quitting the race and going into the car setup area separately. And you can test drive right at that track, since it's loaded up for the race.

There's a huge amount of content. It feels massively bigger than 5 and even a bit bigger than 6 to me. You might be aware, but Forza had an unfortunate lack of content in 5, which was obviously due to them being forced to rush production to launch with the XBone. There were a couple hundred fewer cars than FM4, and several fewer tracks. Pretty dismal for a game that had been steadily expanding up until that point. 6 improved, and on numbers it might have been close to 4 (I never checked TBH), but somehow it didn't feel as expansive as 4. I think 7 is finally back where it should be, and I'm fairly sure it launched with more content than 4 had.

Bad:

Buying cars is weird. For some reason, the first method you're introduced to is this baffling "car collection" screen, which only sorts the cars by their "collection tier" (more on this later), not by anything else. And since there are only a handful of tiers, each group is HUGE. Plus the tiers have more to do with rarity than speed, so there's very little logic to where anything is. You could never develop any understanding of which cars are where. And to top it all off, NOTHING about the cars' stats are shown here. Not class, weight, power, or anything of the sort. Now, luckily the standard car store does still exist, but it's not what's pushed at you in the intros/tutorials, so I probably had the game a day or two before I noticed it. And as it turns out, you're probably not meant to use the car collection as your primary shopping center - it's just to keep track of what you've collected, as the name suggests. But that's not how it's presented early on.

Collection tiers. Each car is in a tier based on rarity, although this is a bit questionable since most cars in Forza are rare. Even the ones that are based on a common model are usually a special version (Dodge Omni GLHS, for example). Anyway, the deal is that every car you own nets you some points, and getting to a given point total unlocks each tier. You're not able to buy cars above your current tier (though you can still win them as rewards from various things). In practice, I found that this mattered very little. Partly because, as is typical in Forza, while going through the initial career mode stuff I was getting so many cars from races and leveling up that I didn't even have time to try them all, never mind buying others on top of that. And also because the cars above my current tier were generally more expensive than I could afford. It didn't take very long for me to reach top tier, and once you do that it's all meaningless.

Classes vs. Divisions. In addition to the typical A, B, C, etc., each car is now also in a division. These divisions try to group similar types of cars together, so it might be things like American street muscle, luxury coupes, or classic rally. Now, Forza has had these types of groupings before. Horizon 3 does the same thing. What's different is that in Forza 7 each division has its OWN performance index, which is separate from the class. So B class might range from 501-600 PI for example, but Classic Rally cars need to be 575 to compete in their division (I'm just making up numbers here, but you get the idea). And nearly ALL the career races are by division, so if you're going to use a car in those career mode races, it needs to be at that PI level. But when my friends and I race, we prefer to just go by broad class, because that creates a more interesting mix of different vehicles. So I have to have a separate tune for each scenario, at least for the cars I actually used in the career mode. Giant pain in the ass, and it accomplishes NOTHING because the previous Forza games were still ABLE to have career races with similar cars all running together, because they still HAD vehicle types. I can think of no logical reason why these groupings needed to have their own separate PI requirement. Oh, and by they way, it's not JUST a PI requirement. Any given division will also have maximum tire width and power levels. These limits, for most cars, are far enough above stock to not be too big of a deal, but there are a few which are actually above the requirements in stock form. This leads to some street vehicles having RESTRICTOR PLATES among their possible mods, in order to de-tune them for their division. Restrictor plates on a street car FFS.

The normal tune and test-drive area is gone. For me personally, this is Forza 7's worst sin. In previous Forza games, as odd as it may sound, the thing I actually spent the most time on was building and tuning cars. The thing I have the most fun with is driving a car bone-stock in the test drive area, identifying its strengths and weaknesses and the handling tendencies that I don't like, and then very gradually installing upgrades and tweaking settings. This involves NUMEROUS test drives in between each change so I can test my changes. For some reason I can't quite fathom, Turn 10 apparently thought that since they now have test driving in the pre-race menu, that is where ALL tuning and setup would be done. It's apparently incomprehensible to them that someone would set up a car first thing, just to do it, and not necessarily because they have a particular race pending. This means that I have to load up a race (which I often have no intention of actually running) just to build my car. Oh, and here's the great part. Because I intend to do my own setup, I often buy my cars stock (in this game, they normally come automatically upgraded to their division specs). So, when I go into "free play" and choose the race, the game automatically selects that car's division in the race settings. Then, when I try to load the session, it yells at me because my car doesn't meet the specs for the division that IT CHOSE WITHOUT ASKING ME (because, of course, it's stock). I then have to manually go into race settings and set the division to "all" just so it'll let me load things up. And as I say, I was never actually planning on running the race, so this is supremely irritating.

No AI cars in multiplayer games. This isn't the worst thing in the world, since Forza's AI drivers are notoriously bad (and they have not improved at all in 7). But it is something that's lacking. My friends and I used to fill up the rest of the lobby with AI bots when we raced online, just for a bit of extra traffic. It was always a fun challenge to run the Nordschleife with roll-off delay starts, and see if we could catch up to the lead cars by the lap's end. Things feel lonelier now.

All that being said, I still love Forza 7, even with all its faults. Last Saturday night I spent 6 straight hours racing around with 3 other people (off and on, 2 of them were trying and failing to share a PC setup, LOL).

I bought Horizon because it was only $30. I sort of already regret it. It's really fun, but damn it just isn't the same. Everyone talks about about how it still has that Forza feel, and . . . no, it actually doesn't. I have everything off just like I do in Motorsport, and it still seems impossible to actually screw up--the cars still drive like they're on rails.

Well, it is like the main Forza games, and yet it isn't. The edge is definitely taken off the handling, as you obviously noticed. And TBH, I think it has to be. Trying to do Horizon's ridiculous cross-country races with Forza Motorsport's handling model would be an exercise in frustration and failure. There's already too much colliding with other cars and random jostling IMO. On the other hand, it still does a great job communicating weight transfer, balance, and per-wheel grip, in a way that I think most other console games get wrong or omit entirely. I mean, try The Crew. Yeesh. My thinking is that people who say Horizon and Motorsport games drive the same are probably using a lot of assists. I imagine they might feel similar with the stability control and traction control turned on. Not that I'd know, scrubs! ;)

That being said, I think Horizon 3 is a great game, for the type of game that it is, and I'd be happy to play that one with you as well. There's a lot of potential fun in its multiplayer stuff that I've never really given a try. Pro tip: you can put Top Gear style training wheels on a Reliant Robin, and it actually works realistically. It's hilarious. That alone makes the game worthwhile IMO. :)

Heard good things about AC: Origins on XB1X

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Sunday, February 11, 2018, 19:58 (2263 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I got myself a One X. Yeah, it's probably a dumb decision, but $185 in Gamestop credit and a fresh $300 cash from selling some Jeep parts this morning was burning a hole in my pocket, so I did the dumb thing.

-Cuphead
-Forza 7 or Horizon 3, I'm not sure which yet. I love Forza, and nothing on Sony's side even comes close to measuring up for me.

That's honestly it. Are there any other standouts I've missed since late 2015? Recore and Quantum Break don't really interest me that much, and those are the only two biggish exclusives I can think of off the top of my head.

I'm redownloading the Master Chief collection and Halo 5 (and real bummed that I can't find my Reach disc, even though I know I have it around here somewhere) because I'm itching for some Halo.

I don't currently plan on getting Destiny 2 on it, but I'm sure I'll give in to a stupid impulse and end up with it eventually.

Immediately, I'm struck by how good the download speeds are. PSN still sucks in that regard. I'm hitting 200 Mb/s downloading Gears 4, and I don't think PSN has ever come close to that.

If you haven't I'd rock through the following:

• Doom (daaaamn)
  • Destiny 2: I know you're avoiding it, but again DAMMMMNNN it looks amazing in 4k HDR
  • Witcher 3 (DAAAAAAMMMMMMNNNNNN)

Heard good things about AC: Origins on XB1X

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, February 11, 2018, 20:46 (2263 days ago) @ kidtsunami

-Cuphead

If you haven't I'd rock through the following:

• Doom (daaaamn)
  • Destiny 2: I know you're avoiding it, but again DAMMMMNNN it looks amazing in 4k HDR
  • Witcher 3 (DAAAAAAMMMMMMNNNNNN)

I've played DOOM and AC: Origins already, so those are a no go.

I do have a PS4 Pro, so I've seen Destiny in HDR 4K. It might look better on the One X, and I'm sure I'll find out eventually, but I doubt it's too significant.

The Witcher 3 is already being downloaded. I originally played it on the Xbox One, then bought it again when I got a PS4. The HDR patch still hasn't made its way to PS4 yet, so I'm eager to jump in and see how good it looks.

Since you've mentioned Game Pass and Forza...

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, February 11, 2018, 22:19 (2263 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Do give DiRT Rally a few tries. It's punishingly hard to get the feel for it if you're only used to asphalt games, but good god does it feel deeply satisfying when you finally feel comfortable going fast.

Protip: get the Alpine as the first car. It is objectively better than most cars in the next two categories, let alone its own.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Sunday, February 11, 2018, 22:43 (2263 days ago) @ ZackDark

Do give DiRT Rally a few tries. It's punishingly hard to get the feel for it if you're only used to asphalt games, but good god does it feel deeply satisfying when you finally feel comfortable going fast.

FWIW, my opinion is that Dirt Rally is nearly unplayable on a controller. I put a lot of effort intro trying to tune the settings, and I eventually got it to where I could do it most of the time on loose surfaces, but driving on tarmac courses was still VERY sketchy. On a wheel and pedal setup, though, it's amazingly good. I guess that's not surprising for a game which was mostly tested by PC enthusiast neckbeards. But driving a Lancia 037, on gravel, with a wheel, in that game is maybe the most sublime virtual driving experience I've had. That thing can dance like nothing else.

Protip: get the Alpine as the first car. It is objectively better than most cars in the next two categories, let alone its own.

Yeah, 100% agree with that. The understeer on the Mini and the Lancia Fulvia is quite bad, I actually find them harder to tame than the rear-drive Alpine because of it. And the Alpine is just plain faster anyway. And it sounds incredible.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, February 12, 2018, 13:33 (2263 days ago) @ stabbim

FWIW, my opinion is that Dirt Rally is nearly unplayable on a controller. I put a lot of effort intro trying to tune the settings, and I eventually got it to where I could do it most of the time on loose surfaces, but driving on tarmac courses was still VERY sketchy. On a wheel and pedal setup, though, it's amazingly good. I guess that's not surprising for a game which was mostly tested by PC enthusiast neckbeards. But driving a Lancia 037, on gravel, with a wheel, in that game is maybe the most sublime virtual driving experience I've had. That thing can dance like nothing else.

My Germany times would like a word with you, sir. To be fair, it did take an Elite controller with the handbrake mapped to a paddle to really make my time any good.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, February 12, 2018, 14:11 (2263 days ago) @ ZackDark

My Germany times would like a word with you, sir.

[image]

To be fair, it did take an Elite controller with the handbrake mapped to a paddle to really make my time any good.

So, that's one thing I kind of hadn't anticipated with a wheel and pedal setup - there's not a really good handbrake on most of them, including mine. You just have to use the face buttons.

There are some high-end sets that have options for actual levers modeled after hydraulic handbrakes, but those are all WAY out of my price range. The only other possibility would be doing surgery on my wheel and moving one of its face buttons to an external switch, but I'm not sure I'm willing to risk my perfectly functional wheel on an experiment like that.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, February 12, 2018, 16:18 (2262 days ago) @ stabbim

My Germany times would like a word with you, sir.

[image]

To be fair, it did take an Elite controller with the handbrake mapped to a paddle to really make my time any good.

So, that's one thing I kind of hadn't anticipated with a wheel and pedal setup - there's not a really good handbrake on most of them, including mine. You just have to use the face buttons.

There are some high-end sets that have options for actual levers modeled after hydraulic handbrakes, but those are all WAY out of my price range. The only other possibility would be doing surgery on my wheel and moving one of its face buttons to an external switch, but I'm not sure I'm willing to risk my perfectly functional wheel on an experiment like that.

What set up do you have? I’ve only used a wheel a handful of times (one of the Porsche Fanatec ones, and it was incredible). I never had the money for one of those, and I just never did the research on more affordable options.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, February 12, 2018, 20:58 (2262 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Yeah, Fanatec gear is pretty ridiculously priced. So much so that I never really bothered researching them thoroughly once I'd seen some of their prices mentioned.

I have a Logitech G920.

As far as the not-completely-insanely priced gear goes, there is the really basic category which tend to run around $100 and don't have proper force feedback. Just a sort of drag mechanism that resists turning so the wheel isn't spinning freely. I have used one of those and I don't think they're worth the effort TBH. They're just a little less convincing than Cruisin' USA.

Then there's the somewhat higher-end category which tends to run around $300. Mine's in this group. These will have actual motors to simulate steering feedback. Now, at least when I looked, which was probably around a year ago, mine had one key advantage. Pretty much all of them don't come with a manual shifter, mine included. BUT, most of them also consequently come with just 2 pedals. Which means if you DO get an add-on shifter later, you also have to replace the pedal set in order to have a clutch pedal. Mine comes with 3 pedals out of the box, so I only need to buy a shifter if I ever want to go full manual. It also means that I can use clutch kick in Dirt Rally with my paddle shifters. :)

If you ever seriously consider one, I strongly urge you to think through your gaming space. You'll need somewhere to put the wheel, and although most of them will mount to a table, that might not be very good because tables usually aren't at the right height. Also, if you have the pedals loose on the floor, they'll get pushed around. I bought one of these, although that particular unit is out of stock now. I then realized that my couch seat was too low and too far back, so I got one of these, which in my use case can really only be described as an adult booster seat. It's all pretty perfect now, but it took some tweaking.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, February 12, 2018, 13:56 (2263 days ago) @ ZackDark

I have Dirt Rally on PS4. I think it’s the only game that might actually feel better than Forza. I do love the simplicity of the game too. Just pure racing with nothing extraneous.

There’s something special about the structure and car collecting of Forza though. No one else does it in quite the same way.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Monday, February 12, 2018, 15:49 (2263 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I have Dirt Rally on PS4. I think it’s the only game that might actually feel better than Forza. I do love the simplicity of the game too. Just pure racing with nothing extraneous.

There’s something special about the structure and car collecting of Forza though. No one else does it in quite the same way.

I'm a scout leader of new 11 year old scouts. About once a year we'll have a little game night (including VR) & I'll let them try Dirt Rally with my wheel setup. They lack the (self) control necessary to do well in that game. After they all have given it a try I'll show them how it's done. It's alway fun seeing their faces at their scout leader schooling them so badly on a 'hard' video game.

I haven't schooled them in Halo yet due to its rating & my position as a 'responsible' adult in charge... but boy would I love to. :)

What's good on Xbox?

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Sunday, February 11, 2018, 22:23 (2263 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Just Cause 3 is insanely beautiful and crazy fun. Hell of a grind, though.
DOOM and Halo Wars 2 are also really good looking. I don't know if they're enhanced or not, but those are just suggestions!

HW2 is 4k HDR enhanced

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, February 12, 2018, 09:25 (2263 days ago) @ Morpheus

- No text -

Sea of Thieves

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Monday, February 12, 2018, 09:44 (2263 days ago) @ cheapLEY

There are about a half dozen of us that played a bunch of the beta a few weeks ago and had a blast. The game comes out on March 20, and I know there are at least 4-6 of us that are planning on getting it. It's an immense amount of fun if you're running a 4-person ship with three friends, but I have also had a lot of fun running solo, and even the matchmaking can be pretty good if you want a full ship but don't have three other friends online.

I will be pirating all over the seas.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Monday, February 12, 2018, 16:58 (2262 days ago) @ Speedracer513

- No text -

Anyone that's even mildly interested in SoT should read this

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Tuesday, February 13, 2018, 08:49 (2262 days ago) @ Speedracer513

This article at The Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2018/feb/13/rare-sea-of-thieves-multiplayer-pirates

does a really good job of covering what we have to look forward to in the full game and what things might give it the staying power that'll make it worth the full $60 purchase.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, February 13, 2018, 08:59 (2262 days ago) @ Speedracer513

I'm warming to the idea.

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, February 13, 2018, 09:17 (2262 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Getting Game Pass for a month for $10 to try it out seems like a good option. That’s my plan.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, February 13, 2018, 10:56 (2262 days ago) @ Speedracer513

This article at The Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2018/feb/13/rare-sea-of-thieves-multiplayer-pirates

does a really good job of covering what we have to look forward to in the full game and what things might give it the staying power that'll make it worth the full $60 purchase.

Counterpoint, this article over at IGN pretty much confirms a lot of my fears about the game:

-There won't be much to do at launch besides trying to grind up to "Legendary" status with three factions, which opens up more rewarding quests, but they plan to grow the game down the road, "as early as" three months after launch.

-Legendary-level players will have functionally better ships than everyone below that status, further creating a balance divide between Sloop ships and galleons (remember, sloops can be even slower than Galleons).

-They consider this a "live game", which means that story will be added later on down the road, so while there is a plan for story, there won't be much at launch other than "events" in-game (Skeleton islands, Kraken).

I'm still excited for the game, but the ambitions are tied directly to a playerbase (and more importantly, one that sticks around, especially long enough for the Microtransactions to kick in), especially with not-afraid-to-kill-our-few-exclusives Microsoft looming over Rare. Hopefully the fact that it's tied to Game Pass ensures a healthy playerbase, and Rare can add all of the things that they hope to put in down the road (also a bit concerning, since they are super slow at making anything).

I dunno. I really want this game to succeed.

Microtransactions

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, February 13, 2018, 11:55 (2262 days ago) @ Korny

At least the game doesn’t have loot boxes.

Sometimes I feel like the industry went to the extreme of loot boxes so they could pull back to horse armor and act like they’re the good guys for doing so.

Microtransactions

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, February 13, 2018, 12:07 (2262 days ago) @ cheapLEY

At least the game doesn’t have loot boxes.

Sometimes I feel like the industry went to the extreme of loot boxes so they could pull back to horse armor and act like they’re the good guys for doing so.

Before everyone realized how horrible they were, Loot boxes were stupidly profitable.
Now that everyone knows how horrible they are, Loot boxes remain stupidly profitable.

Blame the mobile gaming industry and EA, but also blame the thousands of people who still buy them.

At least in Sea of Thieves, they're embracing the classic "buy a specific item" plan, so I don't really mind that, but they're probably going to continue charging full-price for expansions and such, so that might be annoying.

What's good on Xbox?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, February 12, 2018, 10:51 (2263 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Halo Reach was a games with gold game at one point. Are you sure you don't have a license? For me it'd be worth $20 to get it, but you certainly could find a used disc for less.

BTW, I will drop whatever I'm doing to play co-op Reach.

Bought the Division for $30 (That's for everything. $15 for the basic game). Prof Ozy and I have just started the campaign and plan to play through it co-op. I like it so far.

What's good on Xbox?

by cheapLEY @, Monday, February 12, 2018, 11:42 (2263 days ago) @ Kermit

Halo Reach was a games with gold game at one point. Are you sure you don't have a license? For me it'd be worth $20 to get it, but you certainly could find a used disc for less.

I think that happened after I sold my Xbox. I’ll be getting a copy of Reach for sure. I know I have it somewhere, but if I can’t find it I’ll buy another copy.

I’ll definitely let you know. Got some other stuff to check out, but I’ll at least be dipping in within the next few weeks.

Bought the Division for $30 (That's for everything. $15 for the basic game). Prof Ozy and I have just started the campaign and plan to play through it co-op. I like it so far.

I didn’t really like the beta, so I’m not really that interested, but I might look into it.

What's good on Xbox?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, February 12, 2018, 11:54 (2263 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I think that happened after I sold my Xbox. I’ll be getting a copy of Reach for sure. I know I have it somewhere, but if I can’t find it I’ll buy another copy.

I’ll definitely let you know. Got some other stuff to check out, but I’ll at least be dipping in within the next few weeks.

I didn’t really like the beta, so I’m not really that interested, but I might look into it.

I wasn't really into the beta either, but the recent praise got me interested again.

What's good on Xbox?

by MacGyver10 ⌂, Tennessee, Monday, February 12, 2018, 16:16 (2262 days ago) @ Kermit

Kermit! I picked it up over the Black Friday sale and have been LOVING it, when do you usually play as I'd love to help out anytime I can! Once you hit level 30, it can get confusing on what to do next as far as gear goes!

Let's play sometime!

- MacGyver10

Pro controller.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Monday, February 12, 2018, 16:52 (2262 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I know you just spent a bundle on hardware and are looking to get some game recommendations. But seriously I’m sure that there is at least some games on your list that you could give up and get the pro controller instead. As far as I’m concerned it’s a force multiplier that makes every game better on Xbox.

Pro controller.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, February 12, 2018, 17:33 (2262 days ago) @ Vortech

Are you talking about the Elite controller?

I've used one very briefly and it was great. I don't know that it was $150 great, though. Eventually, maybe.

Pro controller.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Monday, February 12, 2018, 17:36 (2262 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Yeah. That’s totally what I mean. Pro controller sounds slightly less jerk-y to me so I guess my brain changed it.

I second this

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, February 12, 2018, 19:09 (2262 days ago) @ Vortech

Yeah. That’s totally what I mean. Pro controller sounds slightly less jerk-y to me so I guess my brain changed it.

I've re-purchased multiple games so that I can play through them with the elite controller. The quality of it and the bumpers just completely changes the game for me. Being able to do everything (aside from d-pad) without taking your thumbs off the sticks is game changing.

People who Claw have had that for years.

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, February 13, 2018, 00:47 (2262 days ago) @ kidtsunami

- No text -

this is 1,000,000x easier than clawing, as a clawer

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, February 13, 2018, 13:58 (2262 days ago) @ Harmanimus

- No text -

I could have this controller and I'd probably STILL claw...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, February 13, 2018, 14:01 (2262 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Old habits and all that...

Your Mileage May Vary.

by Harmanimus @, Wednesday, February 14, 2018, 18:15 (2260 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I've played with them, it didn't change my performance or comfort in any way. So I'll avoid the excess cost.

Are all claws the same? Diagram yours.

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, February 13, 2018, 14:28 (2262 days ago) @ Harmanimus

I've seen the middle finger trigger, pointer finger button claw, but I've also seen a weird one where the right hand never curled around and he used his ring finger for the trigger, but that was original Xbox. Don't know if shoulder buttons work for that.

Are all claws the same? Diagram yours.

by Harmanimus @, Wednesday, February 14, 2018, 18:14 (2260 days ago) @ Funkmon

No diagram, but have a picture.

[image]

This is how I have held controllers since 1996 when the N64 got released, albeit thumb was A/B. Index finger can easily hit face buttons, middle for trigger and knuckle on bumber.

I had a cramp just by looking at this

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, February 15, 2018, 14:48 (2260 days ago) @ Harmanimus

- No text -

Same

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, February 15, 2018, 14:51 (2260 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

Pro controller.

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Tuesday, February 13, 2018, 08:46 (2262 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Are you talking about the Elite controller?

I've used one very briefly and it was great. I don't know that it was $150 great, though. Eventually, maybe.

Yeah, I wasn't really convinced at first that it was "$150 great" either... but now that I've been playing with it a while, I gotta admit that it is totally worth every penny. I actually like it a lot more than my more-expensive Scuf Dual Shock 4.

Pro controller.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, February 13, 2018, 08:51 (2262 days ago) @ Speedracer513

It needs to be about 10 times more durable than the standard controller to be worth $150 to me. I don't even care about how it feels to play initially so much - I'm just tired of having to replace or perform surgery on controllers.

Pro controller.

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Tuesday, February 13, 2018, 09:06 (2262 days ago) @ stabbim

It needs to be about 10 times more durable than the standard controller to be worth $150 to me. I don't even care about how it feels to play initially so much - I'm just tired of having to replace or perform surgery on controllers.

In my opinion, it does feel about 10 times more durable than the standard controller. I can't imagine anything on it breaking without some serious intentional abuse. It feels so much more hefty, and the fact that the triggers, thumbstick shafts, and paddles are made from stainless steel instead of plastic makes such a difference.

One thing that bothers me about my high-end Scuf controller is that the thumbsticks have worn down because the rubber is too soft. I actually bought some Scuf thumbsticks for my Elite controller because at first I liked the Scuf versions better... But after using both extensively, I have gone back to using the standard Elite thumbsticks and they have shown no signs of wearing anytime soon.

Another thing worth noting about the Elite controller is the way the paddles work...
At first I was quite bothered that the paddle activation was so sensitive. Anytime I put the controller down on the armrest or my thigh, the paddles would activate and my character would start jumping. However, since I prefer to only use two paddles anyway (one for sprinting and the other for jumping in most games), and since the Elite controller allows you have two different button-mapping settings, and switch between them by just toggling the switch in the middle, I have it set so that on Setting 1, two paddles activate L3 and A respectively, and the other two paddle locations don't activate anything, while Setting 2 has all of the paddles inactive -- so when I am about to set my controller down and go get a snack, I can easily toggle between having the paddles activated and deactivated by just flipping that switch. So, basically it's an initial annoyance that I have kind of turned into a positive

Pro controller.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, February 13, 2018, 09:47 (2262 days ago) @ Speedracer513

In my opinion, it does feel about 10 times more durable than the standard controller. I can't imagine anything on it breaking without some serious intentional abuse. It feels so much more hefty, and the fact that the triggers, thumbstick shafts, and paddles are made from stainless steel instead of plastic makes such a difference.

Bumpers, too? It looks that way from most of the pictures I'm seeing, but some of them look like the bumpers are still black? Might just be lighting.

I'm curious how far that metal construction extends if so. What typically breaks for me on a standard controller is part of the joint where the bumpers flex. I'm not sure if that part would (or could) be made out of metal. If the joint is even assembled the same way on those, which it might not be. Perhaps I should find a teardown video.

Good call on the thumbstick shafts. When I repaired a couple of my controllers recently, I realized that the left stick shaft on one of them was worn down so badly that it was actually binding on the edge of the controller shell, and that was making it get stuck at the furthest travel point.

Pro controller.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, February 13, 2018, 09:59 (2262 days ago) @ stabbim

Bumpers, too? It looks that way from most of the pictures I'm seeing, but some of them look like the bumpers are still black? Might just be lighting.

I'm curious how far that metal construction extends if so. What typically breaks for me on a standard controller is part of the joint where the bumpers flex. I'm not sure if that part would (or could) be made out of metal. If the joint is even assembled the same way on those, which it might not be. Perhaps I should find a teardown video.

Bumpers are metal as well. I can't say for sure about the joints, but the action actually feels more solid than on a standard XB1 controller so I would not be surprised in the least if they reinforced the joints as well.

My Elite Controller Broke

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Tuesday, February 13, 2018, 10:07 (2262 days ago) @ Xenos

By bumpers do you mean the under-side controls or the shoulder buttons? The underside controls press a small plastic switch using metal levers (which is why you can easily remove them if you don't want 1 or more of them). The shoulder buttons are definitively plastic and will break. That's what happened to my Elite controller after ~2 years of heavy use. My wife's elite doesn't get used as heavily and is still just fine. The overall build quality of the controllers is great, but the triggers and shoulder buttons aren't up to the rest of the build quality IMO.

Unfortunately, the warranty on the controllers runs out after 3 months. Take it in to customer service at a MS store if it does break, they might help you out like they did me. At the very least, the more customers report a particular issue the more likely it is that future versions of the controller may have improved durability.

Pro controller.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, February 13, 2018, 09:58 (2262 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Agreed. I don't use paddles, but the controller is SOLID.

I've used this analogy before, but it's like the difference between holding a water gun and a gun gun.

Pro controller.

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Tuesday, February 13, 2018, 10:05 (2262 days ago) @ Kermit

Agreed. I don't use paddles, but the controller is SOLID.

I've used this analogy before, but it's like the difference between holding a water gun and a gun gun.

I agree with this analogy. The standard Xbone controller isn't quite as bad as a dollar store water gun, so I might say the difference is more like a Nerf gun versus a real Glock, but yeah -- it's a big difference, and worth the extra 150% in price.

Pro controller.

by squidnh3, Tuesday, February 13, 2018, 10:05 (2262 days ago) @ Speedracer513

What I'm most happy about with mine is that the sticks and sockets are still in pristine condition. On previous controllers that's always what wore out first for me, especially with playing a click-the-stick-to-sprint game like Destiny. Mapping sprint to a paddle has certainly helped with this.

However, I did manage to wear out a paddle recently. While the paddles themselves are very nice, the buttons they press are apparently not especially robust. The one I wore out was the lower right paddle, which I was using for "jump" - it got a tremendous amount of use. Basically the little button that is inset inside the bottom has become de-centered, which prevents the "click" when you press it, so sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, which means it doesn't work.

I've also heard that some people have trouble with the bumpers, but I've never had that issue on any Xbox controller. I think it all depends on how/where exactly you are pressing them.

What I've heard people do with the Elites is get them from Best Buy, and get the $20 warranty-2 year. If something goes wrong, they will just replace it with a new one (and then you just buy a new warranty).

Durability

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, February 13, 2018, 10:13 (2262 days ago) @ Speedracer513

I've had two problems with mine since I bought it - that's a ridiculously low incidence, compared to standard controllers.

I had to replace one bumper (shoulder button) that I broke ($10 part on eBay, surgery involved, not hard), and this:

[image]

The rubber on my grips is starting to come apart. It started as just the little lip you can see at the top - but over the past month, it's separating at the split farther and farther down. I can't figure out how to get it back in; I guess I could put glue on the back and just hold it in place until it held... but the tiny lip will NOT compress properly to fit back in (at least not with any tools I have).

I'm a bit worried about it, tbh.

(That said, I'd guess I'd have gone through 3 controllers in the time I've been using this - I'm pretty rough on them. So it's definitely been worth it.)

Huh

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, February 13, 2018, 21:39 (2261 days ago) @ Claude Errera

One of close friend's Elite is also doing this. He also has no clue why nor how to stuff it back in. I can confirm it's vexing in person. Guess he'll be glad and pissed he's not the only one having this.

I have not had a broken first party controller since a Duke.

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, February 13, 2018, 21:42 (2261 days ago) @ stabbim

WTF are you people doing to your controllers?!

Both my S controllers still work, all of my 360 (launch unit) controllers are fine, and my Xbox One controller is fine too.

I still use my 360 controllers for PC games when I have time, and I've worn down the joysticks to smooth shiny plastic things only reminiscent of their original design. Everything works great.

I play an AR baseball game with mine, walls are too close.

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, February 13, 2018, 22:18 (2261 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

LOL

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Wednesday, February 14, 2018, 07:09 (2261 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, February 13, 2018, 22:23 (2261 days ago) @ Funkmon

The XBone controllers are built substantially worse than the 360 or original XBox controllers. I mean, just lift them in your hands and compare. My guess is that you just haven't used your XBone controller as much as the others. I hardly ever see you online anymore.

I mean, not that I'm checking or anything.

I'm certainly not bitter, I'll tell you that.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, February 14, 2018, 06:39 (2261 days ago) @ stabbim

The XBone controllers are built substantially worse than the 360 or original XBox controllers. I mean, just lift them in your hands and compare.

Wait, what!? They feel so much better than the 360 controllers! I trashed my 360 controllers, and I had 4 of them. I've used a single Xbone controller and have never had any problems with it. My biggest problem has been grinding down the left thumb stick, both the pad and the stuff underneath. I get really tense when I play and sides of my thumb sticks look like salt mines cause I've grinded off so much plastic. This has never been a problem with the Xbone controllers for me.

Note: I'm not as good of a baseball player like Claude is though.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, February 14, 2018, 06:58 (2261 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I am well and truly balled by that statement. Hold a 360 controller in a normal non-claw grip and try to twist it. See if it flexes or makes creaking noises.

Then do the same thing with an XBone controller.

And again, just compare the weight of them.

If you're not convinced at that point, I'll give up.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, February 14, 2018, 07:17 (2261 days ago) @ stabbim

I am well and truly balled by that statement. Hold a 360 controller in a normal non-claw grip and try to twist it. See if it flexes or makes creaking noises.

Then do the same thing with an XBone controller.

And again, just compare the weight of them.

If you're not convinced at that point, I'll give up.

Why would you forcefully twist your controller different than normal use? I mean, I understand why you want me to do it, but the use over multiple years of each type of controller is proof for me. I'll have to pull out my 360 controller and feel them back to back.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, February 14, 2018, 09:20 (2261 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Why would you forcefully twist your controller different than normal use?

You wouldn't, ordinarily. At least I hope so. It's just to feel the difference in the material.

I'll have to pull out my 360 controller and feel them back to back.

Yeah. I mean, YMMV and all, and I can't argue with your experience. But I do maintain that the old ones were physically more solid.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, February 14, 2018, 09:24 (2261 days ago) @ stabbim

Why would you forcefully twist your controller different than normal use?

You wouldn't, ordinarily. At least I hope so. It's just to feel the difference in the material.

I'll have to pull out my 360 controller and feel them back to back.

Yeah. I mean, YMMV and all, and I can't argue with your experience. But I do maintain that the old ones were physically more solid.

I mean, I could very likely be an edge case my momma always said I was but I feel like going through 3-4 360 controllers vs not one Xbone controllers is a very large edge case.

Found out why stabbim breaks his controllers

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, February 14, 2018, 12:04 (2261 days ago) @ stabbim

This guy's over here playing Stretch Armstrong with his controllers.

How loud is rumble?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, February 13, 2018, 10:15 (2262 days ago) @ Speedracer513

This is my only complaint. The rumble seems really loud. I'm wondering if something is loose.

How loud is rumble?

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Wednesday, February 21, 2018, 18:09 (2253 days ago) @ Kermit

Mine is much stronger, but I have never noticed the noise.

Yup.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, February 13, 2018, 05:15 (2262 days ago) @ Vortech

- No text -

Elite Controller v2

by breitzen @, Kansas, Tuesday, February 13, 2018, 11:14 (2262 days ago) @ Vortech

Just FYI for anyone looking at buying one:

There are some pretty solid rumors that the Elite Controller is getting an upgrade this year. Chances are it'll come out around E3 and still be priced at $150. When that happens I'd guess the v1 Elite will drop in price too.

Elite Controller v2

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Saturday, February 17, 2018, 21:20 (2257 days ago) @ breitzen

They’d better! v1 was manufactured with toothpicks. It was probably the worst controller since...probably the Virtual Boy.

Huh?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, February 18, 2018, 10:00 (2257 days ago) @ Morpheus

You're telling me the Elite is even worse than the regular controller?

And that the virtual boy had a bad controller?!

by Funkmon @, Sunday, February 18, 2018, 19:42 (2256 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

Huh?

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Sunday, February 18, 2018, 21:14 (2256 days ago) @ ZackDark

Definitely. It couldn't have been a week before those "professional rubber grips" peeled from the sides and the control sticks lost its centering. Anytime you put the controller down, the character just starts drifting, drifting, drifting up and up and up. Cord didn't charge the controller properly, buttons didn't respond anywhere near as fluidly as the regular, stupid shit software NEVER remembered my mapping. The only reason I used it for more than a month was because Saints Row 4 requires you to hold down a button permanently in order to go anywhere, and the paddles made that crippling pain go away.

But it's almost worth breaking my finger over all the crap that controller was.

And the only reason I said Virtual Boy was because I couldn't remember the name of the controller that had a calculator in it.

Atari Jaguar is the worst.

by Funkmon @, Monday, February 19, 2018, 06:06 (2256 days ago) @ Morpheus

All the unintuitiveness of an intellivision, plus the unreachable buttons of the Wii bowling ball and the ergonomics of a frozen pizza.

Huh?

by breitzen @, Kansas, Monday, February 19, 2018, 06:29 (2256 days ago) @ Morpheus

Definitely. It couldn't have been a week before those "professional rubber grips" peeled from the sides and the control sticks lost its centering. Anytime you put the controller down, the character just starts drifting, drifting, drifting up and up and up. Cord didn't charge the controller properly, buttons didn't respond anywhere near as fluidly as the regular, stupid shit software NEVER remembered my mapping.

If this is true, you should have definitely gotten it replaced under the warranty. I've had mine for two years and it works just as perfectly as the day I bought it.

Ditto.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, February 19, 2018, 09:39 (2256 days ago) @ breitzen

Either that or this is more evidence that I don't live on the same planet as Morpheus.

Ditto

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, February 19, 2018, 12:38 (2256 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

Yeah, no problems with mine either.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, February 19, 2018, 18:25 (2255 days ago) @ kidtsunami

- No text -

Same, I have two and haven't had an issue with either

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, February 20, 2018, 09:58 (2255 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

Morpheus: "Elite? Oh, sorry, thought you said Mad Catz"

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, February 20, 2018, 12:56 (2255 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

LOL!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, February 20, 2018, 15:08 (2255 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Tuesday, February 20, 2018, 17:42 (2254 days ago) @ Xenos

(sigh)

[image]

[image]

I had to look for that thing for almost an hour, since I haven't used it in years. I would plug it in to show how much the stick drifts and the buttons lag, but someone beat me to it! It's a good thing they did though, because no one seems to believe me otherwise...

In Claude's case, funny enough I technically did buy a controller from Mad Catz--this badass beastie right here!

[image]

Sweet statue, magnetized battery chargers, all that junk. That still works! I use it whenever I play the Wii(which to be honest isn't that much, considering all the room I'd have to make to use it properly).

by breitzen @, Kansas, Wednesday, February 21, 2018, 06:24 (2254 days ago) @ Morpheus

I had to look for that thing for almost an hour. since I haven't used it in years. I would plug it in to show how much the stick drifts and the buttons lag, but someone beat me to it! It's a good thing they did though, because no one seems to believe me otherwise...

I don't think people don't believe you (at the very least, I believe you), we're just saying our experience has been WAY different. One bad apple doesn't mean the whole tree is bad (although I know how frustrating it can be to get a defective product). Your controller is the exception, rather than the rule.

Yep, wasn't calling you a liar

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, February 21, 2018, 10:03 (2254 days ago) @ breitzen

All electronics now-a-days have this issue: it's nearly financially impossible to be able to check every singly product for issues, so most companies aim for 90%-95% (at best) of a product to have no major problems. It's the reason why really good TVs rarely have better than 4 stars on Amazon. If you return it to the company when you first notice the defect they will typically replace it for no charge, which they find cheaper than actually having a human check every single product off their assembly line.

I wasn't either, for the record.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, February 21, 2018, 10:41 (2254 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

Same

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, February 23, 2018, 09:12 (2252 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, February 21, 2018, 07:07 (2254 days ago) @ Morpheus

Wow. Bad luck I'd say. I'm sorry you had that experience.

To those who are considering buying one, and are turned off by these pictures, know that except for the peeling rubber grip, that's how the controller looks without the sticks or pad or battery cover attached (and maybe if you left it on the floor in the back of closet after your spilled something on it).

Huh?

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Tuesday, February 20, 2018, 17:19 (2254 days ago) @ breitzen

Definitely. It couldn't have been a week before those "professional rubber grips" peeled from the sides and the control sticks lost its centering. Anytime you put the controller down, the character just starts drifting, drifting, drifting up and up and up. Cord didn't charge the controller properly, buttons didn't respond anywhere near as fluidly as the regular, stupid shit software NEVER remembered my mapping.

If this is true, you should have definitely gotten it replaced under the warranty. I've had mine for two years and it works just as perfectly as the day I bought it.

You're definitely right about that, and I regret it like crazy...when I was trying to get it, that was in extremely high demand, and pretty much EVERY place was out of stock. By the time a merchant finally got some new ones, I was so excited I barely cared I was getting it from GameStop. And to be honest, the reason I didn't return it was because I had waited so long to get that controller as it was—if I had went through the process of returning/exchanging it, who knows how long it would've taken them?

It was a stupid idea on my part, though.

That sucks.

by breitzen @, Kansas, Wednesday, February 21, 2018, 06:19 (2254 days ago) @ Morpheus

I know I've been in a similar situation before and been stuck with a Lemon product. :(

Huh?

by Dundre, Norway, Wednesday, February 21, 2018, 06:01 (2254 days ago) @ Morpheus
edited by Dundre, Wednesday, February 21, 2018, 06:05

I´ve actually been thinking about the Elite a lot lately. Microsoft hardware has generally been good for me (mice and keyboard and such). If you were an early adopter like me, you may have gotten a bad one because they clearly had not ironed out the kinks in production. My Elite had a lot of issues too. If you have a bad board, then you are pretty much screwed.

Dundres guide to the Elite:

The Rubber problem: I glued the rubber back on, but it came off again.. Then I crafted some padding with a sleeve that I slapped on it, but my kids have started finding my controller in a drawer and keep disassembling everything (not knowing what it is). They leave a trail of parts all over the house, and I have since lost my very custom grips:P

Solution? Gey some official side panels if you can source them. I am considering the side panels Bionik sells, because maybe I can use them on my next controller too when my Elite inevitably stops working entirely.

Really bad Sticks: Four of the exchangeable heads fit snuggly, but two are horribly wobbly. So, I don´t use those two. The early molds of the sticks, I gather, were maybe hit or miss.. Of the two joystick bases (or whatever you want to call them) one did not sit properly on the little plastic pins. I had to open the controller and jam a piece of something in there to be able to snipe properly. I assume it is not a design feature exclusive to the Elite to have this weird uneven joint that made this unnecessary mechanical deadzone. That fix worked. Speaking of deadzone, unless I had a large deadzone in the software, I experienced drift. This was actually the facefront (or the plastic top cover) sort of hugging the joystick a bit too tightly.. I just loosened the screws on that cover just slightly, and it was okay. I don´t like loosening anything that may bring rigidity to the whole construction, but there you go. The springs are more sloppy than when it was new, but the sticks are pretty responsive now. This seems like a wear and tear part, that needs to be replaced at some point. But, it should work out of the box, you know? But, don´t worry. Something else will inevitably and critically collapse before it comes to this!

Pragmatic fix? Buy a new controller.

Connectivity issues: My controller worked fine in this regard for about thirteen months. Incidentally that is the warranty period in my country. It disconnects all the time now.. That can result in input lag, or the really annoying "your controller is disconnected" prompt. It does not like it when my rechargeable batteries are low (less then three bars). Then it freaks out. I think the battery connectors are a bit loose too, but I don´t feel it is safe to do some kind of macgyver fix. The real bummer is that the usb connector actually *also* have bad tolerances. I never used it until it started running unreliably on batteries, so I never noticed before. I have one or two usb cables that kinda works with it (the cable that came with it is not even the best one).

Realistic solution? Read all the support stuff about software, and drivers, resetting and recalibrating your device. Then give up. Wireless is just a lot messier than it use to be. Maybe buy a quality battery pack, with a proprietary connector. Maybe they use the different set of pins. Turn the xbox on before the controller. Hold the battery pack while you turn it on, for good measure, while it syncs. Then, maybe it will only disconnect once every hour. But, this is speculation. At least I can use it on my next controller, when my elite inevitably fails.

Shoulder buttons are stuck or don´t register: This has happened to a few of my friends, but not to me. If your shoulder buttons don´t work, you probably need to change this little plastic piece the sits like a spring on top.

I love my Elite. It is such an amazing heavy beast of a controller. And it has great features.. The ones that are intended. And impressive build quality.. Well, mostly. If it had better parts it would be the best thing ever... Possibly.

Pro tip! After tucking the kids in, consider tidying for ten minutes. Don´t have your better half throw it out in the garden after you have been using it obsessively for two years, because you need to do the dishes. That really doesn't help the situation with the controller. Do your dishes! They should put that on the box.

Huh?

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, February 21, 2018, 08:01 (2254 days ago) @ Dundre

Connectivity issues: My controller worked fine in this regard for about thirteen months. Incidentally that is the warranty period in my country. It disconnects all the time now.. That can result in input lag, or the really annoying "your controller is disconnected" prompt. It does not like it when my rechargeable batteries are low (less then three bars). Then it freaks out. I think the battery connectors are a bit loose too, but I don´t feel it is safe to do some kind of macgyver fix. The real bummer is that the usb connector actually *also* have bad tolerances. I never used it until it started running unreliably on batteries, so I never noticed before. I have one or two usb cables that kinda works with it (the cable that came with it is not even the best one).

Realistic solution? Read all the support stuff about software, and drivers, resetting and recalibrating your device. Then give up. Wireless is just a lot messier than it use to be. Maybe buy a quality battery pack, with a proprietary connector. Maybe they use the different set of pins. Turn the xbox on before the controller. Hold the battery pack while you turn it on, for good measure, while it syncs. Then, maybe it will only disconnect once every hour. But, this is speculation. At least I can use it on my next controller, when my elite inevitably fails.

Another solution might be to just plug it in. Not everyone has an actual need to be wireless, and wired is better/less of a hassle in some ways. No batteries to deal with, and less latency.

Huh?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, February 21, 2018, 08:08 (2254 days ago) @ stabbim

Another solution might be to just plug it in. Not everyone has an actual need to be wireless, and wired is better/less of a hassle in some ways. No batteries to deal with, and less latency.

That's one thing that's undeniably better about Xbox One controllers--the way they convert to wired when plugged in. The 360s didn't. I've found that plugging in does cause a buzz sometimes in chat, though.

Huh?

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, February 21, 2018, 09:25 (2254 days ago) @ Kermit

I've found that plugging in does cause a buzz sometimes in chat, though.

This is only if they're plugged into the same source as your sound. Plug them into a separate USB-powering location (wall outlet, standalone hub, whatever) and you won't generate a buzz.

Huh?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, February 21, 2018, 09:31 (2254 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I've found that plugging in does cause a buzz sometimes in chat, though.

This is only if they're plugged into the same source as your sound. Plug them into a separate USB-powering location (wall outlet, standalone hub, whatever) and you won't generate a buzz.

Nice to know, but you're saying don't plug them into the Xbox, right? Solves the power (and buzz) problem, but they obviously won't be using the wired connection to send signals to the game in that case.

Huh?

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, February 21, 2018, 10:23 (2254 days ago) @ Kermit

Nice to know, but you're saying don't plug them into the Xbox, right? Solves the power (and buzz) problem, but they obviously won't be using the wired connection to send signals to the game in that case.

Yeah, I had that thought too.

It's never been an issue for me because I just use a chat headset. All my system audio goes through my surround sound system.

Side note: I find it frustrating and weird that, in the past few years, many people/media outlets/device makers have started to act like headsets are the only thing that anyone has or uses for game audio. Looking at you, Microsoft, who still has NO wireless chat-only headsets available because they ASSUME that anyone buying an aftermarket headset would definitely want their game audio to go through the headset in addition to chat. EXAGGERATED SIGH.

What sort of headset are you guys using, exactly, when you have this issue? I'm not well educated on the full-audio headset scene, having never really used any. If you're plugging in to the controller, does that imply that it's a stereo (as opposed to surround/more than 2 channel) headset? The "surround" sets tend to be wireless, right?

I'm just wondering about the connections/signaling because it sounds like what's really needed is a ground loop isolator. They're widely (and cheaply) available for a standard 3.5mm stereo jack, but I just checked and I'm not seeing anything that seems to be intended for headset use (which would have an extra conductor). It might be possible to plug in a splitter to a stereo headset jack to separate the headphone and mic signal paths, and then connect the isolator along whichever path is getting the buzz (I'm not clear on whether you hear the buzz, or other people do)?

Huh?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, February 21, 2018, 10:40 (2254 days ago) @ stabbim

Yeah, I had that thought too.

It's never been an issue for me because I just use a chat headset. All my system audio goes through my surround sound system.

Side note: I find it frustrating and weird that, in the past few years, many people/media outlets/device makers have started to act like headsets are the only thing that anyone has or uses for game audio. Looking at you, Microsoft, who still has NO wireless chat-only headsets available because they ASSUME that anyone buying an aftermarket headset would definitely want their game audio to go through the headset in addition to chat. EXAGGERATED SIGH.

What sort of headset are you guys using, exactly, when you have this issue? I'm not well educated on the full-audio headset scene, having never really used any. If you're plugging in to the controller, does that imply that it's a stereo (as opposed to surround/more than 2 channel) headset? The "surround" sets tend to be wireless, right?

I'm just wondering about the connections/signaling because it sounds like what's really needed is a ground loop isolator. They're widely (and cheaply) available for a standard 3.5mm stereo jack, but I just checked and I'm not seeing anything that seems to be intended for headset use (which would have an extra conductor). It might be possible to plug in a splitter to a stereo headset jack to separate the headphone and mic signal paths, and then connect the isolator along whichever path is getting the buzz (I'm not clear on whether you hear the buzz, or other people do)?

When my controller is plugged in I hear the buzz on every headset I've used. I've never used wireless. Same thing on the 360 by the way. It's not that bad. You could get used to it.

Gears of War 4

by cheapLEY @, Monday, February 12, 2018, 20:10 (2262 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I don't have any particular love for Gears of War, but GoW 4 is pretty fun so far. The reintroduction of Marcus Fenix is the best thing I've seen in a while. It's so fantastically dumb in the absolute best way.

+1

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, February 12, 2018, 20:13 (2262 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

Gears of War 4

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, February 13, 2018, 05:12 (2262 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I don't have any particular love for Gears of War, but GoW 4 is pretty fun so far. The reintroduction of Marcus Fenix is the best thing I've seen in a while. It's so fantastically dumb in the absolute best way.

I’m a fan of the franchise, but I never would have said I was particularly fond of the characters. So I too was surprised by how much I enjoyed Marcus’ return in Gears 4. Dumb and fun and silly and nostalgic in all the right ways.

Gears of War 4

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, February 13, 2018, 05:17 (2262 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I’m a fan of the franchise, but I never would have said I was particularly fond of the characters. So I too was surprised by how much I enjoyed Marcus’ return in Gears 4. Dumb and fun and silly and nostalgic in all the right ways.

It's a good game--not as good as the first three in my opinion, but it certainly does look great (and I didn't even play it in 4K). There were a few unpleasant difficulty spikes, but YMMV.

Gears of War 4 is the xXx of video games

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, February 13, 2018, 07:31 (2262 days ago) @ Kermit

It's great in that absolutely manly this will never happen ever in anything close to real life situation. Which to me is fine as long as you understand that. And also, it's not about the characters (some of them are funny) it's about what they can do and make you feel. That's how I feel about it :D

Gears of War 4 is the xXx of video games

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, February 13, 2018, 08:31 (2262 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

It's great in that absolutely manly this will never happen ever in anything close to real life situation. Which to me is fine as long as you understand that. And also, it's not about the characters (some of them are funny) it's about what they can do and make you feel. That's how I feel about it :D

Yes and no. For me the trilogy was about the characters to some extent. Dom's death was the first time a video game event made me tear up.

Gears of War 4

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, February 14, 2018, 12:16 (2261 days ago) @ Kermit

It’s pretty great looking in 4K. I was initially a bit disappointed in that regard, but it gets much better as the game moves along.

As for story, I find myself much more interested in this one than in anything that happened in the initial trilogy (I don’t think I ever even finished Gears 3), despite the lame ass way they introduced a new enemy that’s just the Locust again but totally not the Locust. As with lots of things now, I find the “twist” to actually be the less interesting version of the story. The initial pitch the game sets up of just rebelling against the COG is far more interesting to me than fighting some more monster people. I even like the robot enemies more, and there’s tons of room there to get really creative.

Do you also PC? Because that influences suggestions.

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, February 13, 2018, 00:45 (2262 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

Sort of?

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, February 13, 2018, 05:36 (2262 days ago) @ Harmanimus

I only have a Surface Pro 4. It runs Skyrim okay, but much more than that and it’s struggling. I played The Witness on it fine, but it struggled with Firewatch. So I won’t be using Play Anywhere any time soon, I don’t think.

Sort of?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, February 13, 2018, 09:08 (2262 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I played The Witness on it fine

Cool game actually.

Sort of?

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, February 13, 2018, 09:16 (2262 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I played The Witness on it fine

Cool game actually.

I loved that game. Never did finish the gauntlet thing, but I only gave it a few runs. I meant to go back to it, but it’s been so long that I feel like I’d have to play the entire game again to relearn the language.

Sort of?

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, February 13, 2018, 19:25 (2261 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Excluding things you mentioned in your first post.

Things that I can suggest that are XboxOX exclusive, some you may have already:
Sunset Overdrive (cheap and novel)
Robocraft Infinity (upcoming, March)

And in the context of things which are [/b]not[/b] available on other platforms, except PC:
Crackdown 3 (upcoming, TBA18)
State of Decay Y1 Survival Edition (solid, or just wait for SoD2)
Ori and the Blind Forest (premium 2D experience)
Ashen (upcoming, Souls-lite with a very neat setting)
PUBG (have heard mixed things about the XBO community for it)

Microsoft has done a lot of positive things with their backward compatibility as well as their game pass is interesting. Albeit, I'm not prone to picking it up. For context, I play on pretty much every platform (even on a Vita sometimes) and so have some relatively quirky reasons to play things on one system over another.

Backward Compatibility

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, February 13, 2018, 12:11 (2262 days ago) @ cheapLEY

How is the backward compatibility generally of Xbox and Xbox 360 games?

Halo / Halo 2 on the Xbox 360 slows to about 3 FPS if you are playing co-op in some places. Is that better on Xbox One X? Are most games supported?

Backward Compatibility

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, February 13, 2018, 12:20 (2262 days ago) @ Cody Miller

How is the backward compatibility generally of Xbox and Xbox 360 games?

Halo / Halo 2 on the Xbox 360 slows to about 3 FPS if you are playing co-op in some places. Is that better on Xbox One X? Are most games supported?

It has to be better. (Correction: neither is backward compatible yet. But Halo 3, ODST, and Reach are better. I say this through first-hand experience.)

Beyond the superiority of the Xbox One X, backwards compatibility mode undoes whatever sins MS committed that put them behind this cycle. So many games run as well or better than they ever have before.

Here's the list. Spoiler: Halo 2 isn't on it.

Digital Foundry has made some great in-depth videos about this:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=digital+foundry+xbox+one+backwards+compatibility

Forza 7.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, February 15, 2018, 19:27 (2259 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Forza Motorsport 7, by itself, justified the purchase of a One X for me. I've always loved Forza, but holy cow, Forza 7 is incredible.

It feels incredible, like Forza always has. Maybe it's just my long absence from playing Forza, but I feel like they've stepped it up a notch.

The dynamic weather and time of day is literally game-changing. Water pools and evaporates realistically--no lap in the rain is exactly the same as the last. And racing at night with HDR . . . man, it's gorgeous (especially on Yas Marina Circuit, with it's giant fluorescent building that reflects beautifully off of everything).

I like Gears, I'm excited for a new Halo, a new Fable, but Forza is secretly the thing I've missed the most after migrating to PS4, and I'm glad I came back.

Just look at it:

[image]

Forza 7.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, February 16, 2018, 08:15 (2259 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Glad you're enjoying it. We'll have to race soon! Looks like they fixed the most annoying multiplayer bugs in the patch yesterday.

Forza 7.

by cheapLEY @, Friday, February 16, 2018, 18:58 (2258 days ago) @ stabbim

Glad you're enjoying it. We'll have to race soon! Looks like they fixed the most annoying multiplayer bugs in the patch yesterday.

Once I play some more and get some cars unlocked, I'd love to race.

I'm a little bummed/confused about the way they roll out new cars. I don't mind the collection tiers, but I don't like that they've hidden certain cars away behind showcase events or whatever. I can't buy a Shelby GT350R, one of my favorites from Forza 6, or the 2000 Cobra R (the same body style as my actual Mustang) because they're locked away behind some special event or something (I don't actually understand all of that yet, it brings up a whole list of shit that could potentially unlock it).

Forza 7.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, February 16, 2018, 21:29 (2258 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I'm a little bummed/confused about the way they roll out new cars. I don't mind the collection tiers, but I don't like that they've hidden certain cars away behind showcase events or whatever. I can't buy a Shelby GT350R, one of my favorites from Forza 6, or the 2000 Cobra R (the same body style as my actual Mustang) because they're locked away behind some special event or something (I don't actually understand all of that yet, it brings up a whole list of shit that could potentially unlock it).

I have a particular friend who I play Forza with the most, who has ALWAYS bought the 2000 Cobra R first (or at least as soon as he had the money) in these games. Needless to say, he's not fond of that system either. :)

*side note* That thing really is a phenomenal track car, especially for a Mustang from that era.

If it helps, I'm pretty certain that the Cobra R is unlocked in one of the Autocross events. I remember doing it. Not really sure on the GT350R - I actually don't think I have one of those.

Most of the time, it does feel really good when you get those cars. I find it fun actually using the car I'm after to do the required event. I just wish they were all open to do from the beginning instead of having to get to whatever championship they're part of first.

Just FYI, there seem to be certain events that don't show up until after you've completed the initial campaign - meaning winning the "Forza Driver's Cup." After I had done that, I started going back through and doing some of the events I'd skipped, and I found an event to get an F40 Competizione. Now, as I mentioned earlier, I have a particular fondness for that car, and I haven't been able to drive one in Forza for quite some time. It simply is not possible that I would have skipped over it. And each championship now has at least 1 event that I don't remember seeing before.

Some of those unavailable cars might also show up at the "specialty dealer," which has an ever-changing stock of 4 vehicles. I have definitely seen some vehicles for sale there which I could not locate in the normal buying area. It might even be that ALL the cars seen in the specialty dealer aren't available to buy normally - amazingly, I've been too lazy to actually bother confirming that.

Subnautica

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Friday, February 16, 2018, 12:18 (2259 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by Blackt1g3r, Friday, February 16, 2018, 12:22

Super cool game, it's basically like a story-driven (single-player) Minecraft that takes place underwater. The story aspect is nice, and I love how exploration is rewarded (finding cool new blueprints to build, amazing new biomes/creatures). It still has several performance issues on Xbox (geometry/texture pop is pretty bad) which the devs are now working on since the PC version is in full release now. Review of the PC version shows even the fully optimized PC build has some issues occasionally. This IGN review pretty much covers it without any spoilers. On xbox you can try it out for an hour, and it's only $20 rather than the $25 it will be when they hit the final release.

Cinematic Trailer:

Subnautica

by cheapLEY @, Friday, February 16, 2018, 16:47 (2258 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Ooh, thanks!

Some of the Giant Bomb folks talked about this a few weeks ago and it sounded cool, but I forgot all about it.

Subnautica (+Elite Dangerous)

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, February 17, 2018, 20:02 (2257 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

So I've watched some videos on this game now, and it looks cool.

I'll be playing Forza 7 for a while still, I think, but I'm looking at Subnautica or Elite Dangerous next. I just can't figure out if Elite Dangerous will actually be fun or not. It looks really cool and like something I'd like to try, but I'm still on the fence.

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Saturday, February 17, 2018, 21:15 (2257 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by Blackt1g3r, Saturday, February 17, 2018, 21:18

I have elite dangerous as well. I had fun with it at first but at a certain point I hit a grind plateau. Some people refer to elite dangerous as space trucker for a reason. I think it’s a lot more fun to play with others and I don’t have that many friends playing it at the moment.

by Phoenix_9286 @, Saturday, February 17, 2018, 21:41 (2257 days ago) @ cheapLEY

So I've watched some videos on this game now, and it looks cool.

I'll be playing Forza 7 for a while still, I think, but I'm looking at Subnautica or Elite Dangerous next. I just can't figure out if Elite Dangerous will actually be fun or not. It looks really cool and like something I'd like to try, but I'm still on the fence.

ED is a huge time suck and absolutely not for everyone. It can be, and frequently is, a lot of long stretches of jumping from system to system and relative inactivity punctuated by gorgeous sights and some wicked combat. Things have improved economy wise since I jumped in about two years back, but it's still a long haul to get the credits you need to buy some of the best ships and then the upgrades and engineering needed to truly make them shine. Be prepared to do a lot of cargo runs and Community Goals until you get good (or at least less likely to die as soon as anyone looks at you) at combat. I also like to tell people it has less of a learning curve, and more of a learning wall (Though I'm told, much like the economy, the same is true of the tutorials. They're loads better now than when I jumped in). You're gonna fumble for what feels like ages before the controls and basic menial tasks like docking or basic navigation or plotting a course are comfortable.

That aside, if you like the idea of owning your own ship and doing whatever you please, where ever you please, in the entirety of the Milky Way, you can't go wrong. The game is really what you make of it.

Few last tips if you do decide to buy it:
- Play in Solo or join a friendly Private group until you learn your ship. Public can be awesome, but in a galaxy where anyone can do whatever they want, griefing and trolling is regular occurance.
- Find someone, or a couple someones, to wing up with while you're learning. Having a wingmate with experience in a fully kitted ship makes learning much easier.
- Think about crewing up with someone for your first couple combat experiences. You'll get put in a Fighter or be a Gunner, and reap rewards with zero risk to yourself. It's also an excellent way to get a handle on basic flight (if you can manage a fighter, you can fly anything) and get a feel for the ebb and flow of combat zones.
- Prepare your wallet. Once you settle into a ship, you're gonna want to make it yours. That means shipkits, paintjobs, nameplates, bobbleheads and engine/weapon colors. There's always a case to be made against microtransactions, but I think Frontier has done it in a way that doesn't feel shitty. You don't need any of it and can opt to never even know it exists, but they're fairly reasonably priced items that make your ship feel like YOUR ship.
- If you're ever looking for wingmates, drop me a line! I've got a small group I fly with on a fairly regular basis and it's never not fun getting a full wing together!

by Phoenix_9286 @, Sunday, February 18, 2018, 14:54 (2257 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

I forgot to mention last night, it's very much a game where using external resources is not just a good idea, but advisable. Make friends with EDDB, Inara, and Coriolis. They're invaluable community resources.

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, February 18, 2018, 15:40 (2257 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

I forgot to mention last night, it's very much a game where using external resources is not just a good idea, but advisable. Make friends with EDDB, Inara, and Coriolis. They're invaluable community resources.

Thanks for the posts. It's definitely something I'm going to consider.

Subnautica has a demo, so I downloaded that and will be giving it a try. I'm going to watch a few videos about Elite Dangerous.

It's one of those games that looks extremely cool, but I just worry about whether it's actually "fun" or not, and that's hard to determine without playing it. Despite trying really hard not to sometimes, I tend to need a bit more direction in my games. I love things like Minecraft and Starbound, Rimworld, lots of different sandbox games, but I find myself getting a bit bored of them quicker than I anticipated. I'm afraid Elite Dangerous will end up the same way. But I'm also a sucker for flying cool spaceships. I loved Rebel Galaxy for what it was. I know it's entirely different, but it seems like it sort of hints at a tiny portion of what Elite Dangerous could be like.

If I end up buying it, I'll make a post on here looking for wingmates for sure.

Does Elite still have the 2-hour test drive?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, February 18, 2018, 18:34 (2256 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I remember back when I got it it did have something like that. Is it still a thing?

Does Elite still have the 2-hour test drive?

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, February 18, 2018, 18:37 (2256 days ago) @ ZackDark

I didn't see any option for it, but now I feel the need to double check.

Subnautica gave me a "Free Trial" option where it normally says "Buy," which ended up being a 60 minute timed demo. It was enough to convince me to buy it, and I'm having a great time with it.

I took a break for some dinner, and now I'm watching an Elite Dangerous beginner guide thing, and it also looks neat. I think I'll probably end up giving it a shot, eventually.

One X Subnautica

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Monday, February 19, 2018, 16:16 (2255 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I wonder if the terrain/texure pop is better on the One X?

One X Subnautica

by Zero @, Florida, Monday, February 19, 2018, 16:52 (2255 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

No, not really. Marginally better, but still really bad.

One X Subnautica

by cheapLEY @, Monday, February 19, 2018, 17:43 (2255 days ago) @ Zero

No, not really. Marginally better, but still really bad.

Yeah, it’s bad.

It also hasn’t really hindered my enjoyment if the game. It has made me consider stopping and waiting until it’s done, now that the devs seems to be focusing on the Xbox version.

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, February 20, 2018, 19:14 (2254 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

I have very poor impulse control.

I had the day off today and bought Elite Dangerous. I've played for four or five hours. I'm really enjoying it so far. Obviously I've only just scratched the surface. There's quite a bit to grasp here. So far, though, just the act of navigating between systems and flying around space is an absolute joy.

I've only been doing delivery missions (both cargo and data) and I just started doing salvage missions, which has involved fighting off some low level pilots, which was fun.

Really enjoying it, but I hope that lasts. I know you said to prepare my wallet, but I'm still bummed that it seems like all cosmetic customization is hidden behind a paywall. I'm not paying $4 dollars to paint my ship orange. It's a minor complaint--this game seems to have no lack of content, but locking even basic color options behind a paywall really sucks.

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Wednesday, February 21, 2018, 09:32 (2254 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Really enjoying it, but I hope that lasts. I know you said to prepare my wallet, but I'm still bummed that it seems like all cosmetic customization is hidden behind a paywall. I'm not paying $4 dollars to paint my ship orange. It's a minor complaint--this game seems to have no lack of content, but locking even basic color options behind a paywall really sucks.

I agree, I wish they provided some simple color customization. It's ok to me if they want to paywall the more interesting customizations (like changes to the shape of the model or stuff beyond basic colors) as that's part of how they pay for the servers and development of future updates. If you want to add me on xbox (same gamertag as forum name) maybe I'll join you sometime.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, February 21, 2018, 11:48 (2254 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

I’d love to play, once I get a bit deeper and get the hang of things. Or whenever, really. I think we’re friends already from D1 days when I was still only on Xbox.

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Wednesday, February 21, 2018, 16:00 (2254 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I’d love to play, once I get a bit deeper and get the hang of things. Or whenever, really. I think we’re friends already from D1 days when I was still only on Xbox.

Even at low levels, I can always act as an escort. ;)

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, February 21, 2018, 16:26 (2253 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Suddenly this game became entirely different than I expected.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, February 21, 2018, 16:41 (2253 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Please, I think the correct term is Companion. (:

If you see me playing and feel like joining, definitely do so. But don’t feel obligated, I also enjoy taking my time with stuff like this and delving into the systems and figuring things out.

by Phoenix_9286 @, Wednesday, February 21, 2018, 17:40 (2253 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

I agree, I wish they provided some simple color customization. It's ok to me if they want to paywall the more interesting customizations (like changes to the shape of the model or stuff beyond basic colors) as that's part of how they pay for the servers and development of future updates. If you want to add me on xbox (same gamertag as forum name) maybe I'll join you sometime.

I don't disagree, it's kind of annoying (if not rude) that at the very least you aren't given, say, the vibrant or military paintjobs for every ship upfront, along with basic nameplates.

At the same time, however, I'm really not all that fussed about it. Because after sinking several hundred hours of my time into their game, I've more than gotten my 60 dollars (or however much the pack with Horizons and the Commander pack was) worth, so what's another five, ten or fifteen here and there when I buy a new ship? Five bucks for a pack of paintjobs usually works out to a dollar a color, which isn't that awful.

Ultimately, where you spend your money is your business. I feel you not wanting to drop another four bucks right now on cosmetics when you literally just bought the game. For me though, at this point, it's no big deal.

BTW: Shipkits are awesomesauce. I have yet to be let down by a shipkit. The pictures and videos they use to show them off almost never do them justice. When you get into something long term, definitely consider one. I have a Sidewinder that looks like a stupid souped-up Civic, a ASP-X that was made a bit more "aerodynamically sound", a Vulture with a completely different profile than stock, and a 'Conda that looks more like an obsidian arrowhead than it already did. This is to say nothing of one of the guys I fly with, who used one to add as much length to his Python as he could, turned his 'Conda into a Reaver ship, and his 'Vette into a Star Destroyer.

My tag is ReaverPhoenix. Drop me a line sometime. My schedule is wonky and jam packed (and may stay that way through the end of March at the earliest), but I'll jump in when I can.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, February 21, 2018, 18:15 (2253 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

I don't disagree, it's kind of annoying (if not rude) that at the very least you aren't given, say, the vibrant or military paintjobs for every ship upfront, along with basic nameplates.

At the same time, however, I'm really not all that fussed about it. Because after sinking several hundred hours of my time into their game, I've more than gotten my 60 dollars (or however much the pack with Horizons and the Commander pack was) worth, so what's another five, ten or fifteen here and there when I buy a new ship? Five bucks for a pack of paintjobs usually works out to a dollar a color, which isn't that awful.

It's sort of just the principle of the thing. I'm fine with locking some shiny stuff behind some cheap packs, but basic color choices? For real? That seems like pretty basic functionality. Look at it like shaders in Destiny. Imagine if you ddin't get any shaders at all, and instead had to buy them. It'd be a huge bummer, at least for me.

Whatever, if I stay into this game for a while, I can see myself dropping ten or twenty bucks down the line for some customization stuff.

BTW: Shipkits are awesomesauce. I have yet to be let down by a shipkit. The pictures and videos they use to show them off almost never do them justice. When you get into something long term, definitely consider one. I have a Sidewinder that looks like a stupid souped-up Civic, a ASP-X that was made a bit more "aerodynamically sound", a Vulture with a completely different profile than stock, and a 'Conda that looks more like an obsidian arrowhead than it already did. This is to say nothing of one of the guys I fly with, who used one to add as much length to his Python as he could, turned his 'Conda into a Reaver ship, and his 'Vette into a Star Destroyer.

The ones I've looked at do look cool, and they really do seem pretty reasonably priced.

My tag is ReaverPhoenix. Drop me a line sometime. My schedule is wonky and jam packed (and may stay that way through the end of March at the earliest), but I'll jump in when I can.

I definitely will. My biggest issue right now is lack of a headset. I have the first gen Astro A50s, which aren't completely wireless when used on the Xbox One. It needs a little adapter thing that plugs into the controller. Sometime between selling my launch Xbox One and now, I've misplaced that adapter. So I have to either find it or buy a new one before I can actually communicate with anyone. Unless something changed, and the first gen headsets can work without it now--I guess I should check that.

Elite Dangerous and other miscellaneous.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, February 26, 2018, 16:44 (2248 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I really enjoy Elite Dangerous, even more than I anticipated. I saved up enough for a Cobra Mk. III, and it's cool. I put a passenger compartment in and have been doing passenger missions, and I just started taking illegal passengers on long tourism journeys, which has been interesting. It's honestly strange how compelling taking a passenger to some out of the way spot 200 LY away is. It's a long journey that really is a whole bunch of nothing and repeated jumps, but I really enjoy it. I'm looking into saving up for something else to deck out for deep space exploration, so I can then kit out something else (maybe the Cobra) to hunt some bounties.

I'm going to give it another week or two before I make the decision, but I honestly am enjoying the game enough that I'm looking into getting the HOTAS for it. I also really want to get a decent wheel set up for Forza 7, which I keep dipping back into. I don't have a bunch of room, so I'm looking at custom set ups and trying to design one that can incorporate a chair with the HOTAS mounted on either side, just like the cockpit in Elite, with a wheel setup as well that can be moved and stored in the corner when not in use. I don't have the floor space for a permanent station, but making something that can be moved without a bunch of setup and tear down, while also storing at least somewhat neatly looks like a bit of a challenge, but there are some good ideas floating around out there.

by Phoenix_9286 @, Tuesday, February 27, 2018, 08:17 (2248 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I really enjoy Elite Dangerous, even more than I anticipated. I saved up enough for a Cobra Mk. III, and it's cool. I put a passenger compartment in and have been doing passenger missions, and I just started taking illegal passengers on long tourism journeys, which has been interesting. It's honestly strange how compelling taking a passenger to some out of the way spot 200 LY away is. It's a long journey that really is a whole bunch of nothing and repeated jumps, but I really enjoy it. I'm looking into saving up for something else to deck out for deep space exploration, so I can then kit out something else (maybe the Cobra) to hunt some bounties.

You want an ASP Explorer for exploration. Really you can recommend the ASP X for just about anything, but for a deep space wander, you want an ASP. The view from the bubble cockpit alone makes it worth the 6mil Cr cost of admission.

The Cobra isn't a bad ship to start with if you're looking to run bounties. Just remember, fill those empty compartments with Hull Reinforcement Packages. A Module Reinforcement or two can't hurt either (I speak from experience, I accidentally attempted to melt my Cobra, the Module Reinforcements saved my ass). If you're looking for a step up that'll let you multirole, try a Python.

I'm going to give it another week or two before I make the decision, but I honestly am enjoying the game enough that I'm looking into getting the HOTAS for it.

I have one. It's glorious. Fully recommend it. My wife still thinks I'm bonkers for buying an 80$ controller that only works with one game. I don't care, it's improved my flying, it's fun as hell, and it bumped up the immersion factor.

Downside (which you may mitigate by not having played for long): The adjustment period. I played with a controller for, well, ever, so while the stick made sense, I basically still had to learn to fly all over again from scratch. I actually still am. I got it for Christmas and it's only been inside of maybe the last month that I finally started feeling comfortable enough doing precision maneuvers to dock manually again. You'll also need to leave your controller plugged in if you want feedback, nevermind want to talk to anyone.

Pro tip: If you get one, DO trash the default bindings and immediately remap them all. Not to trash Frontier, their default bindings aren't bad, but they're not so great for getting the most out of the stick, and they frequently feel awkward. Oh, and navigating the galaxy map is less than intuitive.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, February 27, 2018, 09:04 (2248 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

Downside (which you may mitigate by not having played for long): The adjustment period. I played with a controller for, well, ever, so while the stick made sense, I basically still had to learn to fly all over again from scratch. I actually still am. I got it for Christmas and it's only been inside of maybe the last month that I finally started feeling comfortable enough doing precision maneuvers to dock manually again. You'll also need to leave your controller plugged in if you want feedback, nevermind want to talk to anyone.

This is all really for CheapLEY:

FWIW, you'll probably have a similar experience getting used to a wheel/pedal setup in Forza. I didn't remap everything, but I did have to adjust the steering angle/ratio to get something that made sense. The defaults have you spinning the wheel hand-over-hand to get from full lock to full lock, and it just isn't right for track driving. I also had to play around with the brake pedal boundaries a lot, because mine has a rubber damper at the bottom of its travel which is supposed to simulate brake pedal resistance. It works, but a little too well. The force required to push the pedal to its true bottom is ridiculous - if you had the pedals just sitting on carpet you'd be pushing them around all over the place. So you have to adjust the bottom limit to how far you'll actually push the pedal down.

Then there's actually getting used to the feel. A good wheel can provide some feedback, but it's DIFFERENT feedback than you're used to on a controller. For example, the XBone controller has vibration motors for the triggers, and Forza uses these to great effect when you're using the triggers for accel/brake, to communicate wheelspin (and even axle tramp) from acceleration, as well as braking lockup and near-lockup. Whereas the wheel only communicates front wheel feedback for the most part. So you get good braking feedback, but almost nothing for wheelspin (there is a bit for front-drive cars). And while you as a thinking human can say "OK, I just need to listen for sound and watch the motion of the car on screen to be aware of rear wheelspin," training your reflexes to do that when your muscle memory is used to very different inputs takes time. Then there's the fact that the game actually treats different control systems differently - the steering inputs are damped or filtered somehow on a controller to make it possible to steer smoothly with that little analog stick, but there's nothing like that going on with the wheel. This,combined with the lack of the feedback you're used to, can make things feel VERY twitchy and unpredictable for the first little while. I think it took me a couple of weeks to really get a feel for it.

I used to be fast with a controller. Not to talk myself up or anything, but I could typically get into the top 3% or so on leaderboards if I really tried, and that was without using the "right" cars (if you've ever looked through the boards, you know that all the top times typically are in 1 or 2 specific vehicles). At one time, I had a top-100 time on the Nurburgring for D class. So I mean, I wasn't a noob. I've been driving with my wheel since Forza 7 came out (I had it before that, but I never used it in Forza 6 because it didn't feel right), and I've felt like a noob for much of that time. I'm only now getting to the point where I feel fairly competent on track, like I can maintain momentum decently. But I suspect I'm still not as fast as I was with the controller. I don't know for sure because I haven't done the leaderboards at all in Forza 7, or even looked at them. But my friend that I race with the most, who I used to trade wins with about 50/50, I have maybe beaten him twice in Forza 7. Point is, there is a long period of readjustment. :)

It is worthwhile, though, IMO.

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, February 27, 2018, 10:45 (2248 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

Thanks for the ship recommendations! I smuggled a wanted man to some outpost for 1.5 million credits last night, so I’m sitting at 3 million, but I haven’t found any other missions that are that profitable and as quick to complete as that one, so it’s back to grinding out short, less profitable runs. I think I just got lucky with that first one.

As for HOTAS:

I’m okay with the controller, but the controls don’t feel right. I tried switching some of stick controls, but nothing feels terribly good, and I always forgot to switch back from alternate controls. I can fly decently and I’m finally able to land pretty smoothly without a bunch of corrections, but sometimes my mind slips and I hit the wrong button and screw it up. Remembering what button plus d-pad direction does each shortcut is still sort of a pain. I’m about 90% sure I’m going to get a HOTAS at this point.

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Tuesday, February 27, 2018, 13:26 (2248 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I'm not sure about the game balance now, but if you decide to go bounty hunting I highly recommend a Diamondback Scout. It's a super-maneuverable ship which lets you punch way above your weight-class when you get good at flying it. I also highly recommend joining a wing with someone your first time out so they can maybe bail you out. I found bounty hunting to be more lucrative than trading (and more fun!) early on but the game has been rebalanced quite a bit since then. In particular the Engineers update may have made it quite a bit harder.

A slightly cheaper (3.5 million probably) alternative to the Asp Explorer is the Diamondback Explorer. The DBX is unfortunately not nearly as fun to fly as the scout though.

(In fact I may have to jump back into the game and build a new DBS, my old one was so much fun and I think I have enough extra credits for one.)

Vulture with heavy weapons is love

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, February 27, 2018, 14:41 (2248 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

- No text -

Vulture is powerful, DBS is more fun IMO

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Tuesday, February 27, 2018, 15:23 (2248 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

Dat Vulture tho

by Phoenix_9286 @, Tuesday, February 27, 2018, 16:12 (2247 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

So, lemme tell you about fun in a Vulture. I made a tanky little bastard of a Vulture with a Beam and a Frag Cannon. Why a Frag Cannon? Because the why I fly, or used to fly, combat was outrageous. Flip that bastard around, boost at the goddamn 'Conda we have targeted, and then glue myself to the hull. Just sit there. Point blank range. Unloading a Beam Laser and Frag Cannon at point blank range straight into the poor bastard's power plant.

I flew my Vulture like a madman. It was stupid good fun.

Let's see your DBS do that. ;)

Pretty much what I did too. Vulture IS love.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, February 27, 2018, 16:46 (2247 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

- No text -

Vulture is a tank, DBS is a sports car

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Tuesday, February 27, 2018, 17:14 (2247 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

I had a vulture before I upgraded to my FAS. I enjoyed the Vulture, and it’s more powerful than the DBS but it’s also quite a bit more expensive. Both are great ships.

by Phoenix_9286 @, Tuesday, February 27, 2018, 16:08 (2247 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

I'm not sure about the game balance now, but if you decide to go bounty hunting I highly recommend a Diamondback Scout. It's a super-maneuverable ship which lets you punch way above your weight-class when you get good at flying it. I also highly recommend joining a wing with someone your first time out so they can maybe bail you out. I found bounty hunting to be more lucrative than trading (and more fun!) early on but the game has been rebalanced quite a bit since then. In particular the Engineers update may have made it quite a bit harder.

A slightly cheaper (3.5 million probably) alternative to the Asp Explorer is the Diamondback Explorer. The DBX is unfortunately not nearly as fun to fly as the scout though.

(In fact I may have to jump back into the game and build a new DBS, my old one was so much fun and I think I have enough extra credits for one.)

I always wanted to love the Diamondback, and it just never happened. Used one for mining for a little while, bought another to try in combat for a spell, never really clicked either way.

by Phoenix_9286 @, Tuesday, February 27, 2018, 16:05 (2247 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Thanks for the ship recommendations! I smuggled a wanted man to some outpost for 1.5 million credits last night, so I’m sitting at 3 million, but I haven’t found any other missions that are that profitable and as quick to complete as that one, so it’s back to grinding out short, less profitable runs. I think I just got lucky with that first one.

If you're looking to run passengers, load up on Economy Cabins and look for the bulk transport missions. They'll be the ones that don't have a person's name attached to them. You can cram people in like sardines and stack a whole bunch of transport missions. In the end, it may not be as profitable as doing the runs for a single person, but you can do more in the time it'll take you to do one of the other.

As for HOTAS:

I’m okay with the controller, but the controls don’t feel right. I tried switching some of stick controls, but nothing feels terribly good, and I always forgot to switch back from alternate controls. I can fly decently and I’m finally able to land pretty smoothly without a bunch of corrections, but sometimes my mind slips and I hit the wrong button and screw it up. Remembering what button plus d-pad direction does each shortcut is still sort of a pain. I’m about 90% sure I’m going to get a HOTAS at this point.

Welcome to Elite Dangerous. Fighting the controller is par for the course at first. You haven't lived until you're performing a flawless docking run, go to lower your landing gear... and then boost for the ass end of the spaceport. This is a thing that will transition to the HOTAS as well. I think the difference is the button placements don't necessarily box you into, I guess, standard control conventions.

Basically, just keep fiddling until something sticks.

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, February 27, 2018, 16:41 (2247 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

If you're looking to run passengers, load up on Economy Cabins and look for the bulk transport missions. They'll be the ones that don't have a person's name attached to them. You can cram people in like sardines and stack a whole bunch of transport missions. In the end, it may not be as profitable as doing the runs for a single person, but you can do more in the time it'll take you to do one of the other.

I may do that tonight.

As for HOTAS:

Welcome to Elite Dangerous. Fighting the controller is par for the course at first. You haven't lived until you're performing a flawless docking run, go to lower your landing gear... and then boost for the ass end of the spaceport. This is a thing that will transition to the HOTAS as well. I think the difference is the button placements don't necessarily box you into, I guess, standard control conventions.

Basically, just keep fiddling until something sticks.

I guess I’m just thinking that ultimately the HOTAS will feel a bit more natural. Maybe not, but it seems worth learning, and it’s not too expensive for me to just write it off.

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, February 27, 2018, 20:38 (2247 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

Welcome to Elite Dangerous. Fighting the controller is par for the course at first. You haven't lived until you're performing a flawless docking run, go to lower your landing gear... and then boost for the ass end of the spaceport.

You just had to jinx me.

I spent the last two hours flying some guy all over the galaxy on his tour. Got all the way back to the starting station to land and collect my 3 million credits . . . tapped B instead of holding it down and boosted into the back of the station and blew up. It's a testament to how much I like the game that I didn't immediately chuck my controller out the damn window.

Also, the update today is neat. It now has voice over of the Galnet stuff that you can access while flying around. It's text-to-speech rather than an actual voice over, but it sounds alright, and it's allowed me to engaged with that stuff where I really didn't before, and that's cool.

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Wednesday, February 28, 2018, 07:02 (2247 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I really wish you could cancel a boost by pressing B again or something. So far I haven't managed to kill myself that way, but I've come really close before.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, February 27, 2018, 16:30 (2247 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I'm going to give it another week or two before I make the decision, but I honestly am enjoying the game enough that I'm looking into getting the HOTAS for it. I also really want to get a decent wheel set up for Forza 7, which I keep dipping back into. I don't have a bunch of room, so I'm looking at custom set ups and trying to design one that can incorporate a chair with the HOTAS mounted on either side, just like the cockpit in Elite, with a wheel setup as well that can be moved and stored in the corner when not in use. I don't have the floor space for a permanent station, but making something that can be moved without a bunch of setup and tear down, while also storing at least somewhat neatly looks like a bit of a challenge, but there are some good ideas floating around out there.

I highlighted the game on the deals post that I made just now, though I ran out of time to mention that the Commander Deluxe edition of the game is on sale for $30!

Should make your HOTAS investment more worthwhile. ;)

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, February 27, 2018, 18:02 (2247 days ago) @ Korny

I highlighted the game on the deals post that I made just now, though I ran out of time to mention that the Commander Deluxe edition of the game is on sale for $30!

Of course it goes on sale this week. I bought the base game for full price at $30, and I went ahead and got the Horizons expansion a few days later after I knew that I enjoyed the game enough to make it feel worth it. Ah, well. C'est la vie.

The newest content Beyond, is starting it's role out today. I have no idea what that entails, besides a 13 gig download.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, February 27, 2018, 18:07 (2247 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Of course it goes on sale this week. I bought the base game for full price at $30, and I went ahead and got the Horizons expansion a few days later after I knew that I enjoyed the game enough to make it feel worth it. Ah, well. C'est la vie.

The newest content Beyond, is starting it's role out today. I have no idea what that entails, besides a 13 gig download.

Isn’t there a way that you can get in contact with customer service to get in on the deals if it hasn’t been too long since you got the game?

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, February 27, 2018, 18:14 (2247 days ago) @ Korny

Isn’t there a way that you can get in contact with customer service to get in on the deals if it hasn’t been too long since you got the game?

Yeah, I've heard about things like that. I'll look into it.

Master Chief Collection?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, February 22, 2018, 14:31 (2253 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I didn't realize this, but they're updating it.

It will include visual enhancements for Xbox One X.

Already the 360 games look great, so I'm curious.

Master Chief Collection?

by Phoenix_9286 @, Thursday, February 22, 2018, 17:09 (2252 days ago) @ Kermit

I'll be interested if it means I can finally play Halo 2 Anniversary in coop.

Because I haven't, not ever, not once, no matter what I do, been able to get into a coop game.

Master Chief Collection?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, February 23, 2018, 09:27 (2252 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

Because I haven't, not ever, not once, no matter what I do, been able to get into a coop game.

Really? I ask because I thought I did that. I'd be willing to experiment any time.

Master Chief Collection?

by Phoenix_9286 @, Friday, February 23, 2018, 15:04 (2252 days ago) @ Kermit

Really? I ask because I thought I did that. I'd be willing to experiment any time.

I tell a small lie.

I have been invited into a coop game by Nomis and played for a few hours. Once. Failure every other time.

I've tried hosting with my wife, failure. She tries hosting, failure. Had another friend host, failure. Tried hosting them, failure. Brother, failure. Uninstalled the game and reinstalled it, failure. Uninstalled the game and installed from my wife's disc, failure.

Halo 2 in coop is a no-go no matter what I do or have attempted. I know I'm not alone, Google has proven that much. What it hasn't done is ever provide anything close to a solution or even a cause.

What's outrageous, is all the people I've attempted to play with? No problems getting into coop. It's just me.

Master Chief Collection?

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Sunday, February 25, 2018, 19:49 (2249 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

I tell a small lie.

I have been invited into a coop game by Nomis and played for a few hours. Once. Failure every other time.

I've tried hosting with my wife, failure. She tries hosting, failure. Had another friend host, failure. Tried hosting them, failure. Brother, failure. Uninstalled the game and reinstalled it, failure. Uninstalled the game and installed from my wife's disc, failure.

Halo 2 in coop is a no-go no matter what I do or have attempted. I know I'm not alone, Google has proven that much. What it hasn't done is ever provide anything close to a solution or even a cause.

What's outrageous, is all the people I've attempted to play with? No problems getting into coop. It's just me.

I hear stories like this regarding MCC all the time. There are countless specific problems that most players never run into, but a sizeable portion of the player base hits all the time. And the players that don’t experience that exact problem run into some other problem that most players don’t face.

This trend, combined with the way these issues caught 343 thoroughly off guard and have proven near-impossible to fix make me wonder if there’s actually some sore of hardware compatibility issue going on. I know virtually nothing about networking, servers, modems, or how any of those elements interact with each other, but I can’t help but wonder if there is something bizarre going on in that area.

Lmao

by Avateur @, Friday, February 23, 2018, 22:12 (2251 days ago) @ Kermit

The question mark in the title says it all. Nope. Also, to quote my post from December:

“Even now, they aren't fixing anywhere close to all the problems. All they've announced is that they're going to magically somehow "fix" the networking issues that still plague a ton of people who try to play MCC (though in all fairness to the failure known as 343, bunches of those problems have been fixed for a ton of people from their previous over 9000 patches [which is still not good enough, and they know it, hence the supposed alleged action they'll be taking 3 years later]). The crashes, UI issues, icon issues, and I could go on and on and on about so many other major and minor issues in their trash product, have not been stated in the slightest as a thing that they are going to be addressing. Basically, Halo is dead and 343 is still garbage.”

But! To amend my quote, if by some miracle they do fix their trash product, seeing as how I already paid for and got ripped off by it, I will play it again to attempt to get some of my lost money’s value back. But I will never give that awful company another dollar.

wow

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Saturday, February 24, 2018, 11:56 (2251 days ago) @ Avateur

- No text -

News flash!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Saturday, February 24, 2018, 18:14 (2250 days ago) @ Avateur

Avateur posts only when he sees an opportunity to express his irrational visceral hatred of 343. [yawn]

News flash!

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, February 24, 2018, 19:19 (2250 days ago) @ Kermit

Avateur posts only when he sees an opportunity to express his irrational visceral hatred of 343. [yawn]

I can't exactly criticize, as I want off pretty good on SpaceX and Tesla not that long ago, but I can't understand the raw hatred for 343. Yeah, they made a sort of broken game in MCC, but Halo 4 and Halo 5 were good games, at least from a technical perspective. Given the difficult task (I assume) of making four games work as one package in a pretty seamless way, I can forgive them the problems in MCC.

Folks are obviously free to dislike them, but a company making a sort of broken game doesn't rate all that high on my personal hatred scale. I mostly just try to move on with my life.

News flash!

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Sunday, February 25, 2018, 01:25 (2250 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I can't exactly criticize, as I want off pretty good on SpaceX and Tesla not that long ago, but I can't understand the raw hatred for 343. Yeah, they made a sort of broken game in MCC, but Halo 4 and Halo 5 were good games, at least from a technical perspective. Given the difficult task (I assume) of making four games work as one package in a pretty seamless way, I can forgive them the problems in MCC.

Folks are obviously free to dislike them, but a company making a sort of broken game doesn't rate all that high on my personal hatred scale. I mostly just try to move on with my life.

I think a lot of it stems from 343's history with being flat-out dishonest with people. In fact, they recently acknowledged this in their "New beginnings" segment of the MCC update, where they said that they're going to be transparent, honest, and consistent from now on (no doubt jumping on the "please don't do to us what you just did to Bungie" train).

The lack of quality in their products wouldn't be so bad if they didn't consistently lie through their teeth at people (do I really have to bring up examples? Surely everyone can think of their favorites at this point).

Avateur is a bit over the top, but he's not entirely unjustified in how he feels towards 343, given their track record (I mean, MCC launched in 2014, and here we are in 2018 listening to 343 say "okay, this time it'll work! Honest! We're listening now!")

*shrug*
At least they aren't rushing Halo 6 out the door.

Yes.

by Funkmon @, Sunday, February 25, 2018, 04:33 (2250 days ago) @ Korny

The lack of quality in their products wouldn't be so bad if they didn't consistently lie through their teeth at people (do I really have to bring up examples? Surely everyone can think of their favorites at this point).

+1

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, February 25, 2018, 09:16 (2250 days ago) @ Funkmon

I can't think of a single instance where I feel like 343i lied. I'm not saying they have or haven't, just that I don't actually pay attention to them.

I was deployed when MCC came out, so I didn't anything about it until I bought it like a year after it launch. It was mostly what it was promised to be, as far as I know. Yeah, I know it had matchmaking problems or whatever, and that's a legitimate shame, but I also don't imagine that trying to smash four games together with seamless matchmaking is all that easy. That doesn't mean that it shouldn't work, but I'm willing to forgive them their mistakes, I guess.

Again, Halo 4 and Halo 5 were completely fine on a technical level, as far as that stuff goes. There's no accounting for taste and whether you like the art direction and the way the story has gone, but I also don't think it's necessarily fair for anyone to hate them for that.

Yes.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Sunday, February 25, 2018, 09:27 (2250 days ago) @ Funkmon

"14 Day Buy and Play" is my personal favorite, and the first major red flag that I remember from 343, but Frankie's "Nobody here could have possibly foreseen the MCC not working leading up to launch!" is a close second.

Yes.

by Avateur @, Sunday, February 25, 2018, 11:50 (2250 days ago) @ Korny
edited by Avateur, Sunday, February 25, 2018, 11:55

Both of these are great examples, one showing how even pre-MCC they were full of it, and those are two in quite a list of lies and bullshit. MCC being unplayable for me even in campaign for nearly half a year was the last straw. But you got the kidtsunamis and other apologists and defenders out there that are guaranteed money for 343, so what can ya do. I have a sneaky suspicion that the majority of people won’t be shelling out cash for H6. Not worth trusting that company ever again. Buy used or rent, or not at all like I plan on doing. Give them nothing. Also, relatedly unrelated, boycott EA games for all of their shadiness and garbage, too.

Yes.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Sunday, February 25, 2018, 12:32 (2250 days ago) @ Avateur
edited by Korny, Sunday, February 25, 2018, 13:16

Also, relatedly unrelated, boycott EA games for all of their shadiness and garbage, too.

Except for Titanfall 2, of course, which is $10 on either console for the Ultimate Edition, or $20 if you bundle it with Battlefield 1!

Can you remind me of 14 day buy and play?

by Funkmon @, Monday, February 26, 2018, 01:53 (2249 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

News flash!

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Sunday, February 25, 2018, 16:31 (2249 days ago) @ cheapLEY

The funny thing is that for me at least, the MCC was fine. I had long ago moved away from PvP multiplayer by the time it came out, so I never experienced any of the matchmaking issues that (from what I heard) were the biggest problem. I just played through Halo 2 Anniversary and dabbled with Halo 1 and 3's campaigns, and of course played some ODST when that came out. My experience with it was entirely positive.

ditto

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, February 25, 2018, 16:43 (2249 days ago) @ stabbim

Got my money's worth within a month easily.

Regarding the so-called lying, etc., 343 has stumbled here and there (and took steps to correct their mistakes), sure, and I'm not the biggest fan of where they've taken the franchise, but ascribing evil intent to their actions and ranting about them whenever anyone mentions them repetitively for years on end, that's downright pathological.

ditto

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Sunday, February 25, 2018, 17:14 (2249 days ago) @ Kermit
edited by Korny, Sunday, February 25, 2018, 17:36

Using a limited experience to imply that something is fine is kind of dumb, no? “I didnt use the networking features for the game, so I don’t know why people claimed that they didn’t work! The game was fine for me! Hork hork!”
Well, the vast majority of people who wanted the MCC wanted the multiplayer elements of it to work, and they didn’t, so the population plummeted. That’s why 343 ditched the population display.

Regarding the so-called lying, etc., 343 has stumbled here and there (and took steps to correct their mistakes), sure, and I'm not the biggest fan of where they've taken the franchise, but ascribing evil intent to their actions and ranting about them whenever anyone mentions them repetitively for years on end, that's downright pathological.

“So-called”, “stumbled”. Using terms to downplay facts is also dumb. There was no “so-called” lying. They’ve lied. Like the 14-Day Buy & Play? It was acknowledged as a mistake, the cause was identified, THEN 343 ran with the stupid “it was all part of a super-secret program all along!” narrative that was meant to imply that they don’t make mistakes.

Nobody has said that they have evil intent, but they made a lot of stupid decisions, handled their mistakes in idiotic ways, and are finally making a concerted effort to add value to their investment. They acknowledged this.
And while I do think that a lot of what they did with the Halo franchise is outright retarded, I’m not a purist who lets that taint the lens with which I judge them as a company (I thought the Grunt mech was hilarious, and a good move).

If other people didn’t feel the same way, Halo wouldn’t be a past-its-prime franchise limping along like the half-deflated balloons at their Championships.

ditto

by Avateur @, Sunday, February 25, 2018, 18:10 (2249 days ago) @ Korny

Using a limited experience to imply that something is fine is kind of dumb, no? “I didnt use the networking features for the game, so I don’t know why people claimed that they didn’t work! The game was fine for me! Hork hork!”
Well, the vast majority of people who wanted the MCC wanted the multiplayer elements of it to work, and they didn’t, so the population plummeted. That’s why 343 ditched the population display.

I also just stated in my last post that it was close to half a year until I could even get campaign to work. It wouldn’t allow me to play more than 30 minutes to an hour without the whole game crashing on itself. It still did when I tried some last year, btw, just not anywhere near as frequently. I also barely touch that trash anymore. I get asked to go on occasionally, but yeah, that game is a disaster. Not that the apologists like to recognize all the broken things with H4 and MCC. Or the lies and false advertising.

“So-called”, “stumbled”. Using terms to downplay facts is also dumb. There was no “so-called” lying. They’ve lied. Like the 14-Day Buy & Play? It was acknowledged as a mistake, the cause was identified, THEN 343 ran with the stupid “it was all part of a super-secret program all along!” narrative that was meant to imply that they don’t make mistakes.

“Took steps to correct their mistakes”? My ass. It’s been nearly four years, the thing still has major issues, and they still aren’t going to try to fix a long list of what is wrong with MCC, as my December post quote stated. I mean, that new announcement—dedicated servers? That was announced at launch! 300k, and the power of the cloud! So was that a lie, too? We’re only now gonna get that as an announced thing to this newer better working version they are allegedly promising us? So what did we have before in the busted version? But hey, so-called lies, right?

If other people didn’t feel the same way, Halo wouldn’t be a past-its-prime franchise limping along like the half-deflated balloons at their Championships.

Or the barely above 1k viewers on Twitch during it. Halo’s pretty dead lol

"Buy and Play" Recap

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Monday, February 26, 2018, 08:33 (2249 days ago) @ Korny

I forgot most of the details for this fiasco (mostly the fact that it was a Halo 4 thing and not a MCC thing), so I did some digging.

For those who might be curious, here's a short article, and here's the HBO reaction.

-Disciple

"Buy and Play" Recap

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, February 26, 2018, 09:21 (2249 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

Ah, yes. I'd forgotten the detail that people who bought some special edition were supposed to have exclusive early access to that DLC.

Oh yeah. Lol.

by Funkmon @, Monday, February 26, 2018, 12:08 (2249 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

Man. I forgot. That was hilarious.

Foolish consistency

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, February 27, 2018, 09:08 (2248 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

I noticed with some interest that I seemed pretty ticked in the heat of the moment and even used the "lie" word, which is funny because that's not how I remember it going down. I guess I'm forgetful or forgiving or both, or maybe those qualities go hand in hand?

I'll own it. I think there's a matter of perspective over the course of years and whether the perceived value of my interactions with 343 have been worthwhile from a consumer perspective. In that context, I've had disappointments, but I've not felt ripped off. (To touch on another hot rail here, I've not indulged in the microtransactions in the new Halos.)

Not unrelated, once I had a girlfriend who never forgave anyone any slight. She had an elephant's memory about such things, and since everyone makes mistakes, she was always on her way to being mad at everyone (and expected you to be, too, in solidarity with her). She was really good at staying miserable. I'm glad she's an ex-girlfriend.

Foolish consistency

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, February 27, 2018, 10:18 (2248 days ago) @ Kermit
edited by Korny, Tuesday, February 27, 2018, 10:25

I noticed with some interest that I seemed pretty ticked in the heat of the moment and even used the "lie" word, which is funny because that's not how I remember it going down. I guess I'm forgetful or forgiving or both, or maybe those qualities go hand in hand?

You're not alone. See how someone like Bluerunner lost faith in 343 after bsAngel's bsReply, then proceeded to get the MCC anyway, lost faith in them again, then got Halo 5? So it goes. See you in Halo 6, Blue!

Fortunately, you have friends like me, who remember everything, no matter how much 343 tries to hide that old blog post! :)

I'll own it. I think there's a matter of perspective over the course of years and whether the perceived value of my interactions with 343 have been worthwhile from a consumer perspective. In that context, I've had disappointments, but I've not felt ripped off. (To touch on another hot rail here, I've not indulged in the microtransactions in the new Halos.)

Here's the interesting thing, though. What happened in the past few months to cause a shift towards "transparency, honesty, and consistency"? Why would 343 change their ways? I guess the microtransactions aren't doing so hot, regardless of how much confetti pops when you open them.
Maybe it all comes down to money. I wonder if their sales weren't taking a hit, would they bother to improve?
Bungie clearly didn't, until the CoO backlash and poor Mx sales became mainstream news...

Not unrelated, once I had a girlfriend who never forgave anyone any slight. She had an elephant's memory about such things, and since everyone makes mistakes, she was always on her way to being mad at everyone (and expected you to be, too, in solidarity with her). She was really good at staying miserable. I'm glad she's an ex-girlfriend.

Keep in mind that people who forgive too easily are often taken advantage of repeatedly. Maybe your Avateur ex was a bit too paranoid and miserable, but did you ever wonder how she got that way? Maybe too many 343s in her life.

Food for thought. ;)

Foolish consistency

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, February 27, 2018, 12:50 (2248 days ago) @ Korny
edited by Kermit, Tuesday, February 27, 2018, 12:56

You're not alone. See how someone like Bluerunner lost faith in 343 after bsAngel's bsReply, then proceeded to get the MCC anyway, lost faith in them again, then got Halo 5? So it goes. See you in Halo 6, Blue!

Fortunately, you have friends like me, who remember everything, no matter how much 343 tries to hide that old blog post! :)

Here's the interesting thing, though. What happened in the past few months to cause a shift towards "transparency, honesty, and consistency"? Why would 343 change their ways? I guess the microtransactions aren't doing so hot, regardless of how much confetti pops when you open them.
Maybe it all comes down to money. I wonder if their sales weren't taking a hit, would they bother to improve?
Bungie clearly didn't, until the CoO backlash and poor Mx sales became mainstream news...

I don't know. I haven't been paying close attention. I do think it's false to say that 343 can't improve or that 343 circa 2012 is a static entity. Seems to me that one ingredient you're leaving out is trust. Mistakes made with good intentions can be more easily be forgiven, and good deeds done between missteps also mitigate any damage done to a relationship. I thought it was awesome that they updated ODST and included it in the package gratis.

Keep in mind that people who forgive too easily are often taken advantage of repeatedly. Maybe your Avateur ex was a bit too paranoid and miserable, but did you ever wonder how she got that way? Maybe too many 343s in her life.

Food for thought. ;)

I know how she got that way, and it's irrelevant and strains the analogy to go into it here. Suffice it to say she expected 343s all the time, and people lived down to her expectations. It's a lot more difficult to be your best when someone always assumes the worst about you no matter what you do.

Foolish consistency

by Avateur @, Tuesday, February 27, 2018, 12:57 (2248 days ago) @ Kermit

The analogy didn’t work to begin with. My elephant memory to 343 hardly applies to anything or anyone else in my life when I am slighted. Your ex had serious trust issues seemingly applied to everyone and everything in her life across the board if I’m understanding your story correctly.

Foolish consistency

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, February 27, 2018, 13:56 (2248 days ago) @ Avateur

The analogy didn’t work to begin with. My elephant memory to 343 hardly applies to anything or anyone else in my life when I am slighted. Your ex had serious trust issues seemingly applied to everyone and everything in her life across the board if I’m understanding your story correctly.

Sure, and I wasn't presuming all that about you, despite Korny referring to my "Avateur" ex. To be more explicit about why I brought it up, there's nothing irrational or wrong with losing trust in a person or entity based on their behavior. I do think it can be unhealthy to hold grudges or not acknowledge the possibility you might be wrong or not see the potential for change or notice the good that's there along with the flaws. It's also not cool to cast aspersions on those who've had different experiences than you have had, especially in regards to something like a video game, especially one which obviously provided different experiences to different people, as was acknowledged before you entered the discussion. Your predictable entry into the discussion did bring to mind my ex, though, in this way: I was often in the position where courtesy demanded I be polite to someone or another with whom she happened to be quarreling, and she would go off on me, saying I was too nice to person X. I feel like you've been having a quarrel with 343 for more than five years, and no one around here is allowed to say an encouraging word in their direction without you going off.

Claude has weighed in and I don't think it's fair to you to keep discussing this here, but if you want to email me, that's fine.

ditto

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Sunday, February 25, 2018, 19:41 (2249 days ago) @ Kermit

As far as 343’s “lying” is concerned, the tiny tidbits that I’ve heard here and there all suggest that the network problems with MCC took 343 thoroughly and genuinely by surprise. I’m not saying that nobody at the company knew (because I simply have no idea one way or the other).

I was still hosting a podcast when MCC launched, so I was playing it early for review coverage. Matchmaking and PvP was clearly having some trouble pre-launch, but that’s totally normal for a pre-launch game with barely anyone online to match with. So it’s reasonable to assume that 343 May have had some idea that things weren’t working properly a few weeks before release. But from what I gather, they didn’t know how truly broken it was until after launch. And the vague things I’ve heard in addition to that were that the problems were so deeply based in the games code that the attempts to fix it required far more serious rebuilding than a typical matchmaking patch, which would explain why many of the early updates were massive in size (I’m pretty sure I had to redownload the entire game several times, but I could be mistaken there).

All this to say, I’m not trying to excuse the state of MCC, or how long it’s taken for 343 to get it working decently. But I personally haven’t seen or heard anything from them that I’d label as “lying”. I think something went seriously wrong and managed to fly under their radar which left them scrambling to repair a crippled game, post launch, without shutting it down for those who were able to play it without trouble.

ditto

by Avateur @, Sunday, February 25, 2018, 20:16 (2249 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY
edited by Avateur, Sunday, February 25, 2018, 20:25

Surely they never knew of the crashing, UI issues, H2 player icon issues, and holy cow how long should I keep going? My list is nowhere near started. But sure, it all caught them by so much surprise. Korny has listed a mere two lies, btw. No need to get a list going with those. This new adorable PR push of theirs is already misleading on a number of levels. Don’t be fooled.

As for the rest of this thread, good Xbox suggestions. Also, for people who enjoy fighting games, Dragon Ball FighterZ is pretty awesome.

ditto

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Sunday, February 25, 2018, 20:59 (2249 days ago) @ Avateur

Surely they never knew of the crashing, UI issues, H2 player icon issues, and holy cow how long should I keep going? My list is nowhere near started. But sure, it all caught them by so much surprise.

Of course they probably knew about those issues. Everything I said about “surprise” was specifically with regards to the networking issues. I said as much in my post.

They probably were aware of those issues, which are not excusable but relatively minor all things considered. I’m sure they were planning to address them as soon as they could, but then when the game came out and they realized how fucking broken multiplayer was and how much work it would take to fix it, their priorities changers

Korny has listed a mere two lies, btw. No need to get a list going with those. This new adorable PR push of theirs is already misleading on a number of levels. Don’t be fooled.

I can’t remember what the 14 day but and play thing was about, and google isn’t turning up results. As far as Frank’s “nobody at 343 could have known” thing, I wouldn’t be so quick to call that a lie. Poor choice of words, perhaps. But as I said before, the little whispers I’ve heard from various places all point to the network troubles being genuine surprise to 343. So maybe Frank shouldn’t have said they “couldn’t” have known, because instead that they “didn’t” know. Or perhaps, he used the exact right words. In my experience, Frank is the last person to ever expect BS corporate talk from. If anything, he’s the guy who’s too honest and up-front for Microsoft’s liking. When I hear Frank say “343 COULDN’T have known”, what I’m really hearing is that there was something else involved outside of the studio.

Again, none of this excuses the state of the game. I really have no interest in playing the blame game (other than simply wanting to fulfill my curiosity about what happened behind the scenes). But acting like 343 is out to screw you is just plainly immature. I’m not saying you or anyone else should “trust” them. I certainly don’t. But my feelings towards 343 come down to the quality of their work. I don’t trust them to ship a game that I will enjoy, or one that performs technically as well as I’d want (Halo 4 and 5 were largely good in that area, but MCC is a pretty darn big blemish on their record).

ditto

by Avateur @, Sunday, February 25, 2018, 21:24 (2249 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY
edited by Avateur, Sunday, February 25, 2018, 21:35

Again, none of this excuses the state of the game. I really have no interest in playing the blame game (other than simply wanting to fulfill my curiosity about what happened behind the scenes). But acting like 343 is out to screw you is just plainly immature. I’m not saying you or anyone else should “trust” them. I certainly don’t. But my feelings towards 343 come down to the quality of their work. I don’t trust them to ship a game that I will enjoy, or one that performs technically as well as I’d want (Halo 4 and 5 were largely good in that area, but MCC is a pretty darn big blemish on their record).

I never said they were out to screw me. That doesn’t change the fact that they did screw me and countless other consumers. That doesn’t mean they didn’t know and yet still release an absolutely busted product followed by other wildly inaccurate and outright false promises and expectations. On top of their H4 transgressions. Or the almost entirely misleading marketing campaign for H5. They’re good at lying, their games end up very busted or missing a bunch of features that take years to fix or be provided, and they’re a bad company. Bungie’s mistakes and shadiness still are nothing in comparison. It’s started coming close and making me worried if they deserve the 343 treatment, but their games actually work. Plus, we may have a Taken King type thing on the way. Worked wonders for D1. Not much Destiny stuff worth talking these days, but oh man is there hope for the future. 343? Halo is dead and died years ago.

ditto

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, February 25, 2018, 22:28 (2249 days ago) @ Avateur

I never said they were out to screw me. That doesn’t change the fact that they did screw me and countless other consumers. That doesn’t mean they didn’t know and yet still release an absolutely busted product followed by other wildly inaccurate and outright false promises and expectations. On top of their H4 transgressions. Or the almost entirely misleading marketing campaign for H5. They’re good at lying, their games end up very busted or missing a bunch of features that take years to fix or be provided, and they’re a bad company. Bungie’s mistakes and shadiness still are nothing in comparison. It’s started coming close and making me worried if they deserve the 343 treatment, but their games actually work. Plus, we may have a Taken King type thing on the way. Worked wonders for D1. Not much Destiny stuff worth talking these days, but oh man is there hope for the future. 343? Halo is dead and died years ago.

See, I suspect that's a lie. If Halo was dead for you, then you wouldn't feel the need to go off half cocked saying the same things you've said 100 times before every single time anyone so much as mentions the game. Why do you still care? Don't you think that anyone who's been around here for any length of time already knows what you think about it all? Your caustic rhetoric on the subject was old and overexposed YEARS ago. Do you get so offended every time anyone likes something you don't?

At least when I go off on The Last Jedi I'm doing so in part to figure out why I didn't like it and the movie's only been out a few months. We know by now how you feel about 343 and the MCC.

ditto

by Avateur @, Monday, February 26, 2018, 16:55 (2248 days ago) @ Kermit

Buyer beware! An informed consumer can make informed and, ideally, happy choices. Many here and in general forgot what this company has done. 343 has laid low for a while, and they've screwed up so many things that it can be hard to remember or keep track of them all. Halo IS dead. But here they are trying to unbury MCC. I assume they may re-market and try to make a big sales push on this thing. But it's still all talk, and boy has the talk been talked by them in the past. Who here on this very forum might get suckered into buying this product when it may still be busted to shit?

Very different extremes, but one could compare it to our current political state of being. Or not even the current, but in the past. Politicans and marketers rely on peoples' short collective memories of all the jacked up stuff that happened a short year or two ago. 343's at it again with the misleading marketing and the promises that are nothing but talk until proven otherwise, so why not remind people?

And of course I don't get offended when someone likes something I don't. This isn't a matter of liking. Your experience, by some miracle, was flawless with MCC apparently. You liked it. Good for you. My goal isn't to convince you that your experience actually sucked or that you shouldn't like it. And a minority of people who had good experiences doesn't remove the fact that this game was and still is busted for the majority.

Also, this is a "what's good on Xbox?" thread. MCC isn't good on Xbox considering all that was and is wrong with it, and MCC will still have a lot wrong with it even if 343 manages to pull off the stuff they're claiming they can magically do now. And in case people here don't know this stuff, they now are looking into some of these claims and can check out HBO or other resources and whatever else to learn just how bad 343 and their product(s) is. As for the rest, buyer beware!

Warning.

by Claude Errera @, Monday, February 26, 2018, 17:13 (2248 days ago) @ Avateur

Avateur - this is a warning. You've said what you think about 343. (Dozens of times, actually.) You're adding NOTHING but negativity to this thread, to this forum. Either find a different, happier-for-you subject to discuss here, or don't discuss anything. I'm not really willing to allow this particular message to be posted again, here.

Thanks.

(Anyone who thinks they need more info from Avateur on this subject, please contact him directly.)

ditto

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Sunday, February 25, 2018, 21:56 (2249 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I can’t remember what the 14 day but and play thing was about, and google isn’t turning up results.

I'm having trouble remembering what the specific piece of content was, but the gist of it was that some map pack or other form of DLC got accidentally released for free, and it was pretty obvious to everyone that it had been a total mistake. Now, it turned out that it was pretty easy for them to identify those folks who had gotten it for free and revoke their license, thereby disabling access until they ACTUALLY bought it. So, they could have just said "yeah, that wasn't supposed to happen, hope you enjoyed the accidental preview but we have to take it back now, please buy if you found the content enjoyable!" But they didn't. Instead, they made up a story about how it was an intentional free preview, and they even invented the name "14 day buy and play" to describe the supposed trial program. And when I say made up, that wasn't just the internet being vindictive. It was PLAINLY obvious to anyone who was watching at the time that it had all been an accident and the trial program story was invented later. It was incredibly surreal and laugh-inducing to see the spin come into play.

Now, in all fairness, I don't know how much of the spin was 343's idea, or whether someone higher up at MS made them do it, or what. The way I remember it is that when the incident initially started, folks at 343 were candid about it, and the "14 day buy and play" thing came along hours or days later, which gives me the feeling that some individual higher up caught wind of it and forced the underlings to reverse course. Of course, we all knew the score by then so the cover story just ended up making a shitshow out of something that had previously been viewed as an innocent (and temporarily beneficial) mistake.

ditto

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, February 26, 2018, 09:52 (2249 days ago) @ stabbim

I can’t remember what the 14 day but and play thing was about, and google isn’t turning up results.

I'm having trouble remembering what the specific piece of content was, but the gist of it was that some map pack or other form of DLC got accidentally released for free, and it was pretty obvious to everyone that it had been a total mistake. Now, it turned out that it was pretty easy for them to identify those folks who had gotten it for free and revoke their license, thereby disabling access until they ACTUALLY bought it. So, they could have just said "yeah, that wasn't supposed to happen, hope you enjoyed the accidental preview but we have to take it back now, please buy if you found the content enjoyable!" But they didn't. Instead, they made up a story about how it was an intentional free preview, and they even invented the name "14 day buy and play" to describe the supposed trial program. And when I say made up, that wasn't just the internet being vindictive. It was PLAINLY obvious to anyone who was watching at the time that it had all been an accident and the trial program story was invented later. It was incredibly surreal and laugh-inducing to see the spin come into play.

Now, in all fairness, I don't know how much of the spin was 343's idea, or whether someone higher up at MS made them do it, or what. The way I remember it is that when the incident initially started, folks at 343 were candid about it, and the "14 day buy and play" thing came along hours or days later, which gives me the feeling that some individual higher up caught wind of it and forced the underlings to reverse course. Of course, we all knew the score by then so the cover story just ended up making a shitshow out of something that had previously been viewed as an innocent (and temporarily beneficial) mistake.

Ah yes, I vaguely remember that. And I do agree with your assessment. That strikes me as more of a publisher decision than a Dev one. Not that it looks any less silly in either case.

Dolby Atmos, other Xbox headset stuff.

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, February 27, 2018, 18:00 (2247 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by cheapLEY, Tuesday, February 27, 2018, 18:16

I have a set of the first gen A50s. They're great on PS4, completely wireless and sound great, and, as far as I know, I sound okay for everyone else in the party.

On Xbox One, they still seem to cause echo problems when I'm in a party with certain people. Moving the mixamp between the PS4 and Xbox One sucks anyway, so I'm looking into other options. Mainly, I want to just use my Sennheiser HD 598s, which is the best, most comfortable set of headphones I've ever had. I like wearing them much more than my Astros (which I do like quite a bit). Anyone have any recommendations for a good microphone to pair with them? The Antlion ModMic comes up pretty often in searches, is that alright or are there better options?

Also, what's the deal with Atmos? Is it worth it? I see that only a small list of games really support it, but I also hear that that doesn't matter so much, and even games that don't really support sound better with it.

Dolby Atmos, other Xbox headset stuff.

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Wednesday, February 28, 2018, 07:00 (2247 days ago) @ cheapLEY

There is also Windows Sonic (I think that's what it's called) which supposedly does the same thing as Dolby Atmos. I tried both and honestly I didn't see any benefit to using either, but YMMV.

My post on atmos

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, February 28, 2018, 14:55 (2247 days ago) @ cheapLEY

here you go

sorry in a meeting

My post on atmos

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, February 28, 2018, 16:22 (2246 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Thanks!

I actually read that last night before posting (I remembered someone posting about it), but there weren’t many other thoughts in that thread, so I was looking for some other impressions now that it’s been around a while. I downloaded the app and stated the trial. I don’t notice a huge difference in Elite (things do sound a little punchier maybe? Or maybe I’m just focusing too much and looking for a difference). I also redownloaded Rise of the Tomb Raider which has official support, so I think I’ll play a bit of that tonight.

My post on atmos

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, February 28, 2018, 16:33 (2246 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Thanks!

I actually read that last night before posting (I remembered someone posting about it), but there weren’t many other thoughts in that thread, so I was looking for some other impressions now that it’s been around a while. I downloaded the app and stated the trial. I don’t notice a huge difference in Elite (things do sound a little punchier maybe? Or maybe I’m just focusing too much and looking for a difference). I also redownloaded Rise of the Tomb Raider which has official support, so I think I’ll play a bit of that tonight.

Ah, in most games that only support 5.1 or 7.1, it's not going to sound much better than any of the surround sound amps that handled those formats for you. It just means you don't need those amps.

It's in games like Tomb Raider or Overwatch which specifically support Atmos that it becomes actually better.

I honestly use my A50s with it's surround sound processing turned off with Atmos. It's one of the things that's led to me playing my PS4 less often. Can't wait for Sony to add it too.

Sorry for double posting on ya!

My post on atmos

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, February 28, 2018, 17:28 (2246 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Thanks!

Ah, in most games that only support 5.1 or 7.1, it's not going to sound much better than any of the surround sound amps that handled those formats for you. It just means you don't need those amps.

It's in games like Tomb Raider or Overwatch which specifically support Atmos that it becomes actually better.

I honestly use my A50s with it's surround sound processing turned off with Atmos. It's one of the things that's led to me playing my PS4 less often. Can't wait for Sony to add it too.

Sorry for double posting on ya!

No worries! I don't know much about it, so I'm looking for any and all input. As I said, I'm looking to use my A50s exclusively on the PS4, just so I don't have to move them back and forth between that and the Xbox. It's not a huge deal, but I like my Sennheisers enough to just use those on Xbox, I think, and they really are great cans.

My post on atmos

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, March 01, 2018, 09:13 (2246 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Thanks!

Do you know that they will? I thought they were invested in their own 3D audio.

I'm a fan of the Xbox implementation. It's got me thinking about ditching my mixamp and just getting a DAC for my headphone amp.

What's Classic On Xbox?

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Thursday, March 01, 2018, 22:40 (2245 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Crackdown 1 just became backwards compatible on the Xbone. And with Crackdown 3 fast approaching, it probably won't be long until the 2nd one comes in, too!

Old games.

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, March 11, 2018, 19:58 (2235 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I can't seem to decide what to play right now. It's one of those weird stretches where nothing seems to fit.

I used EA Access to download Mass Effect 2. It's every bit as good as I remember it, and I may have made a mistake by starting it, because now I think I'm going to finish it, at the expense of all else, even though I also have Titanfall 2, Battlefield 1, and Mirror's Edge Catalyst waiting.

I thought Andromeda was a pretty decent game, but diving into Mass Effect 2 is making me think less of it. Ugh, it could have been so good.

Old games.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, March 11, 2018, 20:11 (2235 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I can't seem to decide what to play right now. It's one of those weird stretches where nothing seems to fit.

Have you tried any old games off my 101 games list?

Old games.

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, March 11, 2018, 20:36 (2235 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Have you tried any old games off my 101 games list?

I never played Bayonetta, but I've meaning to get the Bayonetta 1+2 package on Switch. I haven't made the time for it yet, but I will.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread