Grand Theft Auto V (Gaming)

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, September 13, 2013, 09:50 (3868 days ago)

Just curious, I am getting Grand Theft Auto V at launch, anyone else planning on getting it? GTA Online won't be available until October 1st, but I'd love to get a group together when it does come available.

Grand Theft Auto V

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, September 13, 2013, 09:56 (3868 days ago) @ Xenos

I'll definitely be getting it before Online is on. Just so I know how much before I should it, does your story campaign progress affect the Online part?

Grand Theft Auto V

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, September 13, 2013, 10:16 (3868 days ago) @ ZackDark

I'll definitely be getting it before Online is on. Just so I know how much before I should it, does your story campaign progress affect the Online part?

As far as I have been able to tell they are completely separate worlds, so I would be surprised if they affect each other.

Quote from Rockstar:

"[Taking place] slightly before the events of GTA V,” GTA Online won’t see your stats from the single player portion of the game, and when October 1st rolls around, “You’ll have an extra character on your Switch Wheel. Instead of choosing Franklin, Michael or Trevor, you’ll select your multiplayer character and you’ll be sucked straight in there.

Grand Theft Auto V

by bucktoofeye, Tuesday, September 17, 2013, 22:08 (3864 days ago) @ Xenos

Ah! I was wondering why there was a fourth character on the selection wheel.

Yep!

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Friday, September 13, 2013, 10:02 (3868 days ago) @ Xenos

Just curious, I am getting Grand Theft Auto V at launch, anyone else planning on getting it? GTA Online won't be available until October 1st, but I'd love to get a group together when it does come available.

Why is there the wait for GTA Online though?

Yep!

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, September 13, 2013, 10:17 (3868 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Why is there the wait for GTA Online though?

Quoting Rockstar:

“We want it to be known as a different entity, a separate thing, and it’ll grow on its own. It’ll be GTA Online; it’s not part of GTA V. Obviously it’s set in the GTA V engine, but it’s going to grow and evolve into its own thing.”

Grand Theft Auto V

by roland ⌂ @, Friday, September 13, 2013, 10:07 (3868 days ago) @ Xenos

Yes!

Though, first my plan is to explore Mt. Chiliad to determine its geologic origins within the context of the depicted island landscape morphology. Is it a hot spot? If it is we'd be looking for primarily mafic volcanic rocks (i.e. lava fields), Or are we looking at an uplifted core of an orogenic event? In which case we might see something more felsic and rounded, like granite. Oh oh oh, or maybe it's none of those and and it's a huge stack of sedimentary layers, just like Mount Sharp where the Curiosity rover is now!

So yeah... after I'm done with all that... multiplayer for sure :)

Grand Theft Auto V

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, September 13, 2013, 10:18 (3868 days ago) @ roland

Yes!

Though, first my plan is to explore Mt. Chiliad to determine its geologic origins within the context of the depicted island landscape morphology. Is it a hot spot? If it is we'd be looking for primarily mafic volcanic rocks (i.e. lava fields), Or are we looking at an uplifted core of an orogenic event? In which case we might see something more felsic and rounded, like granite. Oh oh oh, or maybe it's none of those and and it's a huge stack of sedimentary layers, just like Mount Sharp where the Curiosity rover is now!

So yeah... after I'm done with all that... multiplayer for sure :)

When we start playing multiplayer I expect a full report on Mt. Chiliad!

Grand Theft Auto V

by Tex @, Friday, September 13, 2013, 14:29 (3868 days ago) @ roland

Reminds me of Mt. Soledad here in SD. Minus the giant, looming cross.

Grand Theft Auto V

by roland ⌂ @, Friday, September 13, 2013, 14:45 (3868 days ago) @ Tex

Upon detailed analysis, the cross is not related to the underlying geology....

Grand Theft Auto V

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Saturday, September 14, 2013, 00:41 (3867 days ago) @ roland

Upon detailed analysis, the cross is not related to the underlying geology....

Or does it?

Cue Indiana Jones adventure to the center of the mountain tomb

Grand Theft Auto V

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, September 13, 2013, 10:22 (3868 days ago) @ Xenos

I'm getting it, but probably not right at launch. I just dropped a lot of money on outdoor gear, so I need to wait a month for the wife to cool off before I buy more toys. ;P I'm definitely getting it for community nights. That's what I'm most excited about.

A Custom Co-op Night!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, September 13, 2013, 11:10 (3868 days ago) @ bluerunner

Haven't pre-ordered, though. :|

A Custom Co-op Night!

by Hyokin, New York, Friday, September 13, 2013, 11:28 (3868 days ago) @ Kermit

Oh! I remember the FBO group mentioned Custom Co-op Missions.

If that's definitely a thing, I can't wait. :D

GTA.bungie.org

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Friday, September 13, 2013, 11:56 (3868 days ago) @ Hyokin

- No text -

I will get it Tuesday

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Friday, September 13, 2013, 11:56 (3868 days ago) @ Xenos

But I may be tied up til the following week to actually play it.

I will get it Tuesday

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, September 13, 2013, 11:57 (3868 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

But I may be tied up til the following week to actually play it.

Not a big deal since multiplayer isn't available until October 1st :)

I cannot wait to jump out of a moving plane

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Friday, September 13, 2013, 12:34 (3868 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

Neither could my son.

by Claude Errera @, Friday, September 13, 2013, 12:51 (3868 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

[image]

Taken about 2 months ago.

But was he flying that plane?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, September 13, 2013, 12:53 (3868 days ago) @ Claude Errera

;P

That's rad, Claude. Why didn't you join him?

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Friday, September 13, 2013, 12:59 (3868 days ago) @ ZackDark

I'm guessing he was the one who took the picture and laughed his ass off the whole way down.

by Claude Errera @, Friday, September 13, 2013, 13:00 (3868 days ago) @ Grizzlei

I'm guessing he was the one who took the picture and laughed his ass off the whole way down.

Heh. Another jumper took that pic. He took a bunch - I was actually polite in my choosing. (There's one where Tim looks like he's about to cry. :) )

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Friday, September 13, 2013, 13:04 (3868 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Heh. Another jumper took that pic. He took a bunch - I was actually polite in my choosing. (There's one where Tim looks like he's about to cry. :) )

You're a terrible father for not choosing to post that one! :P

by Claude Errera @, Friday, September 13, 2013, 13:11 (3868 days ago) @ Grizzlei

It's a charge that's been leveled at me before. (By me, even.)

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Friday, September 13, 2013, 13:28 (3868 days ago) @ Claude Errera

It's a charge that's been leveled at me before. (By me, even.)

My father is much the same, which is why I have to commend you for your love.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Friday, September 13, 2013, 13:33 (3868 days ago) @ Grizzlei

You people are why I never have enough tears for my martinis.

;)

Fair question. No.

by Claude Errera @, Friday, September 13, 2013, 12:59 (3868 days ago) @ ZackDark

;P

They wouldn't let me. :(

(My Class B license was last used about 25 years ago - they wouldn't let me jump alone, and I weigh too much for their tandem rigs.)

Fair question. No.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, September 15, 2013, 20:30 (3866 days ago) @ Claude Errera

;P

(My Class B license was last used about 25 years ago - they wouldn't let me jump alone, and I weigh too much for their tandem rigs.)

It must be different now, because I'm B-30864 and that lets me jump anywhere alone or in any size formations.

The sport has changed a lot in 25 years!

Fair question. No.

by Claude Errera @, Monday, September 16, 2013, 07:31 (3865 days ago) @ Cody Miller

;P

It must be different now, because I'm B-30864 and that lets me jump anywhere alone or in any size formations.

Almost any jump center has time limits - if you haven't jumped in 6 months, or a year in some places, they want at least a qualifier... and sometimes more. 25 years... you might as well not have a license in the first place.

The sport has changed a lot in 25 years!

Heh.

Fair question. No.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, September 16, 2013, 08:44 (3865 days ago) @ Claude Errera

;P

Almost any jump center has time limits - if you haven't jumped in 6 months, or a year in some places, they want at least a qualifier... and sometimes more. 25 years... you might as well not have a license in the first place.

Oh I misunderstood. Got you now. It's a currency issue not a license issue.

So two things I see on your bucket list then:

1. Get in shape enough to do another jump.
2. Get past the Berserker on Gears of War.

Fair question. No.

by Claude Errera @, Monday, September 16, 2013, 09:03 (3865 days ago) @ Cody Miller

lol - the first one is a possibility... but my bucket list is much more interesting than #2, thanks. ;)

(Next item coming up is 'See the Northern Lights' - should be checked off in about 3 weeks.)

Fair question. No.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, September 16, 2013, 13:12 (3865 days ago) @ Claude Errera

lol - the first one is a possibility... but my bucket list is much more interesting than #2, thanks. ;)

(Next item coming up is 'See the Northern Lights' - should be checked off in about 3 weeks.)

I suggest adding St Patrick's Day in Butte Montana to the list. You will know why when you go. :-D

Neither could my son.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Friday, September 13, 2013, 13:35 (3868 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Dang.

Skydiving is one thing I cannot conceive of doing.

Neither could my son.

by Jillybean, Sunday, September 15, 2013, 12:10 (3866 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Dang.

You and me both! I like to stay inside the vehicle until it has come to a complete stop.

Neither could my son.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, September 15, 2013, 12:53 (3866 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Dang.

I have personal reasons for not being able to think rationally about this subject. It doesn't matter what the statistics say. I would beg anyone considering it to reconsider.

Neither could my son.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, September 15, 2013, 20:53 (3866 days ago) @ Kermit

Dang.

I have personal reasons for not being able to think rationally about this subject. It doesn't matter what the statistics say. I would beg anyone considering it to reconsider.

I say the opposite. You are right in that the stats don't tell the whole story.

I've got almost 1000 jumps and my biggest injury is a ripped hangnail.

That being said, I have known people who have died doing it. The vast majority of the people who die today in the sport do so because they made bad choices, or were pushing the limit and simply doing very dangerous things. If you are conservative and diligent about safety, I believe that you will very likely not die, and most likely escape serious injury.

If you are interested in the least bit, do it.

Neither could my son.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, September 15, 2013, 20:35 (3866 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Dang.

It's easier with an AI like Virgil looking out for you.

[image]

Your son is far braver than me.

by Quirel, Friday, September 13, 2013, 20:52 (3868 days ago) @ Claude Errera

In order for me to go skydiving, the plane would have to completely break apart in flight.

How I happen to have a skydiving harness and parachute on at the time of the accident has yet to be determined.

Better than him taking up smoking

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, September 15, 2013, 20:32 (3866 days ago) @ Claude Errera
edited by Cody Miller, Sunday, September 15, 2013, 20:35

[image]

One of these things will kill you.

I'll wait till it's cheap

by electricpirate @, Friday, September 13, 2013, 13:19 (3868 days ago) @ Xenos

R* offered everyone in my graduate school early access to GTA online, but with a new baby and a full course load (not to mention a lack of funds) I'm probably staying away from it for now.

Grand Theft Auto V

by Tex @, Friday, September 13, 2013, 14:25 (3868 days ago) @ Xenos

Birthday present to myself as it comes out the day before.

Can't waaiiit.

Grand Theft Auto V

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, September 13, 2013, 16:36 (3868 days ago) @ Tex

I might have a hard time getting people to play Halo 4 on co-op night next week.

People don't yet realize though that the entire Bungie staff will be joining us.

[wait for it.]

;-)

Grand Theft Auto V

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, September 13, 2013, 16:59 (3868 days ago) @ Kermit

I might have a hard time getting people to play Halo 4 on co-op night next week.

People don't yet realize though that the entire Bungie staff will be joining us.

[wait for it.]

;-)

What game allows more than 400 players to play at once? :)

I think that's what they are working on

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Saturday, September 14, 2013, 00:30 (3867 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, September 15, 2013, 09:44 (3866 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

If you're saying 400 players in one game, let's hope not!

"While there will be a series of dynamic public events, we want them to be large enough to feel social, to feel interesting, but small enough to make sure that every character is still important to that experience." -- Deej, Gameovercast interview.

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Monday, September 16, 2013, 14:30 (3865 days ago) @ Kermit

I imagine a 400 person raid through a thin corridor would be my brand of pure chaos.

"No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible."

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, September 16, 2013, 14:41 (3865 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

Was just talking about the recent big EVE battle with a friend today in the context of Ready Player One (you've GOT to read that book, Paddy!).

I'd like to part of that once in a while, as kind of a Helm's Deep signature event. I don't know if I'd want it on a regular basis though, especially considering I'd probably die early and often.

Grand Theft Auto V

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, September 15, 2013, 09:45 (3866 days ago) @ Xenos

Heh. 400 players were playing Halo 3 Team Slayer at once last night.

Grand Theft Auto V

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Sunday, September 15, 2013, 10:37 (3866 days ago) @ Kermit

Heh. 400 players were playing Halo 3 Team Slayer at once last night.

Man I don't want to be in charge of organizing 25+ groups while trying to play, it was hard enough organizing two of less than 16 last week haha.

Grand Theft Auto V

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, September 15, 2013, 11:03 (3866 days ago) @ Xenos

It would be 100 teams. It's co-op.

Happy Birthday Tex!

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Wednesday, September 18, 2013, 12:47 (3863 days ago) @ Tex

[image]

Happy Birthday Tex!

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, September 18, 2013, 13:00 (3863 days ago) @ Pyromancy

Happy Birthday!

Hopefully this cake is not a lie.

Happy Birthday Tex!

by Tex @, Wednesday, September 18, 2013, 18:13 (3863 days ago) @ Xenos

Aww. Thanks guys :)

It's still to early to call the cake on the west coast.

Grand Theft Auto V

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Friday, September 13, 2013, 14:39 (3868 days ago) @ Xenos

Yesssss. Can't wait! I'll be getting home from a work trip just in time to go to the midnight release. Goodbye sleep--I hardly knew ye!

Grand Theft Auto V

by Jillybean, Sunday, September 15, 2013, 12:11 (3866 days ago) @ Xenos

I tend to pick up Rockstar games a few months later. They're so long that I like to play them in the lull times.

But I hear it's excellent.

Grand Theft Auto V

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Sunday, September 15, 2013, 12:35 (3866 days ago) @ Jillybean

I am normally the same way, but I am using it to fill my personal gaming lull while waiting for my XBox One.

Should be at my doorstep Tuesday!

by Atsumi ⌂, Jefferson City, MO, Sunday, September 15, 2013, 18:05 (3866 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

A familiar face in Edge's review screenshots…

by kapowaz, Monday, September 16, 2013, 07:21 (3865 days ago) @ Xenos

[image]

by Tex @, Tuesday, September 17, 2013, 15:50 (3864 days ago) @ kapowaz

He's also on the wall as an action figure in Lester's house.

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Wednesday, September 18, 2013, 05:37 (3863 days ago) @ Tex

According to DeeJ that is "Republican Space Ranger" and it was originally a show that was on the TV in Niko's apartment in GTA IV.

Bungie User Icon in Social Club

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, September 18, 2013, 13:27 (3863 days ago) @ Xenos

I just noticed, you can have an Oni user icon in Social Club either in the iOS app or online. I was going to choose a LA Noire icon, but really how can I say no to a Bungie game icon instead?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, September 18, 2013, 14:44 (3863 days ago) @ Xenos

What kind of Oni icon? Could you perhaps provide a pic for us non GTA Vers?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, September 18, 2013, 14:51 (3863 days ago) @ Ragashingo

[image]

I have no idea if that is visible, my work filters block the image.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, September 18, 2013, 16:15 (3863 days ago) @ Xenos

Ah, good ole "I'm carrying way too many guns" Konoko.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, September 18, 2013, 17:24 (3863 days ago) @ Xenos

I just noticed, you can have an Oni user icon in Social Club either in the iOS app or online. I was going to choose a LA Noire icon, but really how can I say no to a Bungie game icon instead?

It's because Rockstar published Oni for the PS2.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, September 18, 2013, 17:30 (3863 days ago) @ Kermit

Yeah I now, still surprised me the put an icon in for it :)

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread