Legend of Korra Book 2 Episodes 1&2 *SPOILERS* (Off-Topic)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, September 14, 2013, 15:04 (3848 days ago)

Unbeknownst to me Book 2 premiered on Nickelodeon this Friday. Having just finished the first two episodes I'm fairly excited. Some observations:

• There are no other air benders in the entire world yet? Clearly bending doesn't go straight down genetic lines given that Aang has kids spread among the three elements.
  • I don't trust the Northern Water Tribe chief's "spirit bending." It looks gentle enough on screen but I can't help think he's not so much releasing them from their anger as he is brainwashing them or something.
  • That statue of the "evil Avatar" looked ominous. At the end of Book 1 me and a friend were trying to think up things that could challenge Korra now that she was a fully powered Avatar. Upon seeing some of the early Book 2 concept art, specifically something glowing blue beneath a bubble of ice, I thought we might be dealing with a trapped avatar kinda like Aang was. The very familiar beam of light when Korra opened the spirit portal combined with the "evil Avatar" statue glowing leads me to think maybe I was right.
  • The northern water tribe invading the south seems very extreme. But more that that it seems overly convenient. Mr. Chief was planning this all along. What is his real game?
  • Overall I liked the episodes, but they did seem a little rushed. I'd rather they start off a bit slower. But maybe they can slow down now that most everything is established.

Now the wait till next week begins. :(

Super good show! *SP*

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Saturday, September 14, 2013, 15:38 (3848 days ago) @ Ragashingo
edited by Grizzlei, Saturday, September 14, 2013, 15:58

There are no other air benders in the entire world yet? Clearly bending doesn't go straight down genetic lines given that Aang has kids spread among the three elements.

Yep, just like the two brothers Mako and Bolin, fire and earth bend, respectively. It was really nice to see a lot of Air Acolytes occupying the Southern Air Temple. I got teary-eyed when I saw it so abandoned in The Last Airbender.

The northern water tribe invading the south seems very extreme. But more that that it seems overly convenient. Mr. Chief was planning this all along. What is his real game?

Being a c**t of an uncle. Chief Unalaq appears to be a religious extremist and his plans to unify the northern and southern tribes, the latter of which will be undergoing a tremendous cultural assimilation to bring it in-line with the north, could very well be a move against the United Republic and their nonspiritual development. Their navy seems to be on-par with General Iroh's fleet that sailed into Republic City.

[image]

Overall I liked the episodes, but they did seem a little rushed. I'd rather they start off a bit slower. But maybe they can slow down now that most everything is established.

The pilot of The Legend of Korra got to the point awfully quick too. "I'M THE AVATAR. YOU GOTTA DEAL WITH IT", training, off to Republic City, and meeting Equalist assholes all in 25 minutes or so. The "previously on" bit at the beginning of the season two opener was a bummer considering everything that took place within six months. Seems like they tried to fit in a lot of ancillary funny bits unimportant to the spirit-focused story.

We need more Bolin and Eska. God they're a cute ass couple. Plus Aubrey Plaza is just great as usual. The whole cast is great actually. A lot of really awesome voice actors are in this season. Am I spazzing enough? Yeah I really love this show. Watch it, people.

Super good show! *SP*

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Saturday, September 14, 2013, 23:09 (3848 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Watch it, people.

I need to watch Avatar first, right? The Art of Korra book I saw at the bookstore looked really cool.

I remember years ago hearing all the buzz about Avatar. I caught it on Cartoon Network one day finally, but I couldn't figure out what the huss was all about.

Years later, I found out what I had watched:

[image]

... was called Xiaolin Showdown and was apparently NOT Nickelodeon's Avatar: The Last Air Bender...

I'm kinda stupid.

Super good show! *SP*

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, September 14, 2013, 23:39 (3848 days ago) @ Leviathan
edited by Ragashingo, Saturday, September 14, 2013, 23:43

Watch it, people.

I need to watch Avatar first, right?

No, but yes. You could probably watch the Legend of Korra by itself just fine as it is some sixty years removed from The Last Airbender. LoK's plot doesn't rely much on TLA's at all. There are a few references of course, but nothing critical that isn't explained. I say yes because The Last Airbender is a ton of fun and watching it will give you much greater insight into things, big and small, that happen(ed) in the Legend of Korra.

No, not really, but yeah, yeah...

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Sunday, September 15, 2013, 04:46 (3848 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Watch it, people.

I need to watch Avatar first, right?

No, but yes. You could probably watch the Legend of Korra by itself just fine as it is some sixty years removed from The Last Airbender. LoK's plot doesn't rely much on TLA's at all. There are a few references of course, but nothing critical that isn't explained. I say yes because The Last Airbender is a ton of fun and watching it will give you much greater insight into things, big and small, that happen(ed) in the Legend of Korra.

The first season of LoK doesn't require you to watch TLA as there's only a few allusions to the events, all of which are unimportant. Flashbacks to its characters (Aang, Katara, Sokka, Toph, and Zuko) are well contained to only have consequence on LoK. These are much older and wiser incarnations of their TLA appearances. With the importance of the spirits and the Avatar state in season two I would highly recommend a binge viewing of TLA. Besides, it's just fantastic television!

I watched the first few episodes of LoK S1 before I even touched TLA and little was lost on my fresh eyes to the universe.

Super good show! *SP*

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Monday, September 16, 2013, 07:59 (3847 days ago) @ Leviathan

You're totally that grandparent that buys the Funtendo Zii from CVS and wonders why the kids are gnashing their teeth on Christmas.

I would say watch Avatar on Netflix, but I believe it has been cycled out. But definitely watch it, it has probably some of the best pacing overall and per episode of any modern cartoon. It's really good, and I personally think you would appreciate it. It starts off a bit too kid friendly, but evolves quickly through the 2nd and 3rd season. Do yourself a favor and watch that shit.

Legend of Korra Book 2 Episodes 1&2 *SPOILERS*

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Saturday, September 14, 2013, 15:57 (3848 days ago) @ Ragashingo

[*] There are no other air benders in the entire world yet? Clearly bending doesn't go straight down genetic lines given that Aang has kids spread among the three elements.

Aang was the "Last Airbender" of his time. His children and their children would be the only people in the world to carry the Airbending gene. And 3 elements? As far as I'm aware, there's just the two. Tenzin is the airbender (from Aang's genes), Kya is the waterbender (from Katarra's genes), and Bumi is a non-bender. Also

[image]

Aang's kids FTW! I enjoyed the small glimpses we got into their sibling dynamics in this first episode.

[*] I don't trust the Northern Water Tribe chief's "spirit bending." It looks gentle enough on screen but I can't help think he's not so much releasing them from their anger as he is brainwashing them or something.

Honestly, he actually seemed like a good guy, stern at times, genuinely concerned about the spiritual well being of the tribes. That is, up until that last moment. I liked him until then. Now, I'm not sure. Does he have something to do with the dark spirits that are running amok?

[*] That statue of the "evil Avatar" looked ominous. At the end of Book 1 me and a friend were trying to think up things that could challenge Korra now that she was a fully powered Avatar. Upon seeing some of the early Book 2 concept art, specifically something glowing blue beneath a bubble of ice, I thought we might be dealing with a trapped avatar kinda like Aang was. The very familiar beam of light when Korra opened the spirit portal combined with the "evil Avatar" statue glowing leads me to think maybe I was right.

I don't think that was an evil Avatar statue. Methinks it was a statue of the first Avatar (hence the really old, wooden look to it) someone we'll be learning about in later episodes.

Yeah :(

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, September 15, 2013, 13:23 (3848 days ago) @ Ragashingo

My words in Blue.

Unbeknownst to me Book 2 premiered on Nickelodeon this Friday. Having just finished the first two episodes I'm fairly excited. Some observations:

• There are no other air benders in the entire world yet? Clearly bending doesn't go straight down genetic lines given that Aang has kids spread among the three elements.

Seeing as Aang was the Last Airbender (who hooked up with a water bender)is it really all that surprising that the result is one air bender, one water bender, and one non-bender?

[*] I don't trust the Northern Water Tribe chief's "spirit bending." It looks gentle enough on screen but I can't help think he's not so much releasing them from their anger as he is brainwashing them or something.

The idea you are attempting to get across I agree with.

[*] That statue of the "evil Avatar" looked ominous. At the end of Book 1 me and a friend were trying to think up things that could challenge Korra now that she was a fully powered Avatar. Upon seeing some of the early Book 2 concept art, specifically something glowing blue beneath a bubble of ice, I thought we might be dealing with a trapped avatar kinda like Aang was. The very familiar beam of light when Korra opened the spirit portal combined with the "evil Avatar" statue glowing leads me to think maybe I was right.

*Facepalm*

It is the first avatars statue. It is known.

[*] The northern water tribe invading the south seems very extreme. But more that that it seems overly convenient. Mr. Chief was planning this all along. What is his real game?
[*] Overall I liked the episodes, but they did seem a little rushed. I'd rather they start off a bit slower. But maybe they can slow down now that most everything is established.

I always am more forgiving of first episodes. As I recall the first episodes of the first show started off slow as well.

[/list]

Addendum: Broadly speaking - Spirits will giveback what they get. Give aggression and they will return it at least two fold.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, September 15, 2013, 14:02 (3848 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Seeing as Aang was the Last Airbender (who hooked up with a water bender)is it really all that surprising that the result is one air bender, one water bender, and one non-bender?

Yes well, as far as I could tell by watching the show Bumi's status is not known.

The idea you are attempting to get across I agree with.

Attempting to get across??

*Facepalm*

It is the first avatars statue. It is known.

Facepalm? Why facepalm?? Was Mr. Evil Avatar named or his background revealed during either episode?

Addendum: Broadly speaking - Spirits will giveback what they get. Give aggression and they will return it at least two fold.

Says who? Nobody outlined such behavior in the three seasons of TLA or the first season of Korra.

P.S. I get that I'm not all that up on all the info and interviews that have been going on off screen, but I'm sensing some undeserved "hostility" here. :(

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, September 15, 2013, 15:01 (3847 days ago) @ Ragashingo

My words in blue

Yes well, as far as I could tell by watching the show Bumi's status is not known.

Alright - far enough. Until you see him bend he is not one.

Didn't like the wording. :/

Facepalm? Why facepalm?? Was Mr. Evil Avatar named or his background revealed during either episode?

Technically No. Nor was said thing revealed to be "evil". The avatars purpose is to bring balance. The idea of an evil avatar confuses the reason of the avatar in the show. Its like ying with no yang. That is why Facepalm.

Says who? Nobody outlined such behavior in the three seasons of TLA or the first season of Korra.

;)

P.S. I get that I'm not all that up on all the info and interviews that have been going on off screen, but I'm sensing some undeserved "hostility" here. :(

No hostility was or is intended.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, September 15, 2013, 16:11 (3847 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

My words in blue

Alright - far enough. Until you see him bend he is not one.

I counter with the fact that very nearly every military commander, besides Sokka's and Katara's father, in the Avatar series from General Iroh (The Dragon of The West) to... well General Iroh (of the Republic's United Forces) was a bender. Bumi is a (retired) military commander AND the son of an Avatar. I think past precedent demands that I err on the side of him being a bender until proven otherwise.

Didn't like the

Oh. Well next time say so. I couldn't tell if I wasn't being clear or if you didn't like my wording or if you were trying to insult me.

Technically No. Nor was said thing revealed to be "evil". The avatars purpose is to bring balance. The idea of an evil avatar confuses the reason of the avatar in the show. Its like ying with no yang. That is why Facepalm.

Admittedly, I was basing my evil comment on the fact that the guy's statue looked freaking evil to me what with those (spirit?) snakes all up behind him. He certainly didn't look wise and noble like Aang's statue did. Beyond that, what do we really know about the Avatar and the spirit world at this point? Not a whole lot. We only got a few glimpses of spirits in TLA and Korra didn't and still doesn't know anything about them as of Korra Book 2 Episode 2.

As for evil Avatars, Aang certainly struggled with what it meant to have ultimate power and eventually chose not to kill, but other Avatars had no problems using lethal force. None of them seemed to be 100% virtuous unfalable Boy Scouts. They were each their own person making their own decisions. Even Aang was ready to kill the sand benders out in the desert for instance, and there was that one Avatar who tried to kill Koh the Face Stealer out of a sense of revenge. Were those acts of good or evil? I don't think there's currently enough information out, again as of episode 2, there to justify the position that there are / were no evil Avatars.

All in all I don't think I deserved a facepalm and a "It is known."

;)

I take it you know more than I do. Care to discuss it?

No hostility was or is intended.

Unreasonably snippy and a bit rude then. Maybe I'm wrong, but I get the feeling I'm being looked down upon because I don't know as much as you about events and characters that haven't even aired yet. :/

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, September 16, 2013, 11:08 (3847 days ago) @ Ragashingo

;_; Why do you insist on my being hostel? (Rhetorical)

Regardless the nature of interpretation on the internet, most of my replies at this point would 'er heavily into philosophy territory - mostly eastern thought (sans political which was more last season) such as Shinto and Buddhism. Also I'm going be dark again soon and it is likely that if I were to start into this I wouldn't be able to finish it before the topic gets swept away.

So . . . take from that what you will.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, September 16, 2013, 19:29 (3846 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

;_; Why do you insist on my being hostel? (Rhetorical)

Perhaps our writing styles unintentionally clashed or I read more into your word choice than was there. My apologies.

Regardless the nature of interpretation on the internet, most of my replies at this point would 'er heavily into philosophy territory - mostly eastern thought (sans political which was more last season) such as Shinto and Buddhism. Also I'm going be dark again soon and it is likely that if I were to start into this I wouldn't be able to finish it before the topic gets swept away.

Yeah, I'll be interested in seeing how far they go into areas I'm not familiar with. The Last Airbender had a bit of that, the Guru sticks in my mind most prominently, but I'm sure there are other (and perhaps better) examples as well.

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Tuesday, September 17, 2013, 07:36 (3846 days ago) @ Ragashingo

The Last Airbender had a bit of that, the Guru sticks in my mind most prominently, but I'm sure there are other (and perhaps better) examples as well.

Onion and banana juice!

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Monday, September 16, 2013, 08:07 (3847 days ago) @ Ragashingo

When you first posted this thread I had yet to catch Korra (on the road all weekend)

But, watching it last night (on the nick xbox app no less) filled me with pure joy. It's a pleasure I don't get from most shows.

That being said, I love the motifs that are tackled from season to season. Last one being equality and communism, and this one seems to be spiritual balance and religious cleansing (the latter inferred if the Northern Water Tribe goes Gestapo)

I agree with not trusting the northern water tribe leader, but it seems he may be more of an unintentional villain, believes he is doing the greater good, rather than starting a revolution (also somewhat in the same vein)

I'm excite for all future times.

A Random Quote That Struck Me On Second Viewing:

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, September 16, 2013, 19:40 (3846 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Chief Ualaq:

Avatar Korra, you have taken the first step in bringing balance back to the south, and soon the whole world.

Is Unalaq going a bit Firelord Sozin on us? Does the rest of the world need the Northern Water Tribe's help in getting balanced? Taken by itself it seems harmless or even encouraging. Taken along with his fleet of warships coming into dock and rows of his troops marching down the streets it becomes less so.

A Random Quote That Struck Me On Second Viewing:

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Wednesday, September 18, 2013, 09:22 (3845 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I'm sure for a time occupied people contemplated whether a nazi government would help them. I'm definitely getting a fascist/purist theme vibe from this season, as opposed to last season's communist overtones.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread