Destiny game play question.

by Captain Spark @, Oregon, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 17:36 (4083 days ago)

I'm curious if I can play Destiny without encountering other "world" players?

I would prefer to tackle this game alone. I'm hoping it's possible to turn off encountering other players so I can go it alone.

Unknown, but doubtful.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 17:40 (4083 days ago) @ Captain Spark

- No text -

I'm hoping for a schizoid mode too. Fingers crossed.

by Mercury, Chicago, IL, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 17:43 (4083 days ago) @ Captain Spark

- No text -

Hoping you can set it to friends only as well.

by Onyx, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 17:46 (4083 days ago) @ Mercury

- No text -

21st century and all, right?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, February 17, 2013, 18:23 (4083 days ago) @ Mercury

- No text -

by Claude Errera @, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 18:25 (4083 days ago) @ Captain Spark

I would prefer to tackle this game alone. I'm hoping it's possible to turn off encountering other players so I can go it alone.

There will certainly be public and private spaces; if you choose to go to a private space, nobody but your party will find you there.

I don't know for sure if it is feasible to finish the game with zero interaction, though.

by Captain Spark @, Oregon, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 18:34 (4083 days ago) @ Claude Errera

There will certainly be public and private spaces; if you choose to go to a private space, nobody but your party will find you there.

I don't know for sure if it is feasible to finish the game with zero interaction, though.

I think of all the morons I've encountered in Reach Firefight and I would like to avoid them. Hopefully Bungie takes players like me into account that just want to kick back for a few hours and tackle the game solo without any social interaction.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 18:48 (4083 days ago) @ Captain Spark

I think of all the morons I've encountered in Reach Firefight and I would like to avoid them. Hopefully Bungie takes players like me into account that just want to kick back for a few hours and tackle the game solo without any social interaction.

I agree, I enjoy that play-style most of the time and I hope Destiny can still cater towards that style. But I'm also okay if it's a solo-experience in a shared world.

It's also going to be a very different game than any Halo. It might create a completely different tone of players. Playing alone and then seeing someone 'live' doing their own thing nearby might not be anything at all like a griefer or point-stealer in Firefight - it might be like stumbling upon another hiker when you've been in the wild for a couple of days. :)

by iZac, Shanghai, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 19:39 (4083 days ago) @ Leviathan
edited by iZac, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 19:53

I agree, I enjoy that play-style most of the time and I hope Destiny can still cater towards that style. But I'm also okay if it's a solo-experience in a shared world.

It's also going to be a very different game than any Halo. It might create a completely different tone of players. Playing alone and then seeing someone 'live' doing their own thing nearby might not be anything at all like a griefer or point-stealer in Firefight - it might be like stumbling upon another hiker when you've been in the wild for a couple of days. :)

looking at the Vidoc's little 3 player party setup, I would guess that the game will just swap out party members with nice silent meaty targets that made up the arbiters role and the rest of the fire team in the likes of Halo 3 and Reach. But I guess you'll be missing out a lot of immersion if you avoid the 'public' spaces. (however they are articulated)

Presumably the ‘public’ spaces are a hub area that you can party up in, which lets users drift off to a scenario / mission via spaceports and things. I’m sure they’ll let you party up or just go to these missions co-op or solo, but the point of the hub is to make the world feel more alive, let you buy gear and let you find / meet people that want to play a mission properly rather than just toss about (like a random party in firefight or whatever)

One would guess that for pure expedience or just for anti social players that you might be able to avoid the public spaces and just dive into a mission (or mission ‘lobby’ zone) straight from the menu.

I assume that the cross section of players you see in the public spaces will be comprised only of users the server has matched you with in terms of ability (and people in your friends list), so you'll not see many twerps that are going around trying to smack you with their rifle butt or dry hump the walls and stuff.

by RC ⌂, UK, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 18:59 (4083 days ago) @ Captain Spark

Firefight didn't have Skill-matching (AFAIK), but Destiny will, apparently.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 09:46 (4082 days ago) @ RC

Firefight didn't have Skill-matching (AFAIK), but Destiny will, apparently.

I want other kind of matching, too. I hope the Reach preferences are expanded to include other things. ncsuDuncan and I were talking the other day about the possibility of gamer profiles that are more sophisticated that what we've seen, all optional of course.

In general I'm very curious about what they are going to do to prevent or punish griefing.

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 20:05 (4083 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I'm curious if you can't go it alone or truly play offline, will System Link and LANs have a place in this game?

It'd be rad to have a LAN party all co-op contribute toward one goal. It's like Kermit: The Game

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Monday, February 18, 2013, 03:28 (4083 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

It'd be rad to have a LAN party all co-op contribute toward one goal. It's like Kermit: The Game

I would play that game...

But seriously, I'd love to see Bungie carry-forward the legacy of LAN-friendly games. I know that most people don't associate consoles with LAN parties any more, and most developers barely give it much thought, but I would be pleased as punch to see it make a big come back with Destiny. Kermit wouldn't be able to keep me and my Xbox off his front porch ;-)

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Monday, February 18, 2013, 13:05 (4083 days ago) @ JDQuackers

Kermit wouldn't be able to keep me and my Xbox off his front porch ;-)

Any more than he already does. :3

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 09:53 (4082 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

Kermit wouldn't be able to keep me and my Xbox off his front porch ;-)

Any more than he already does. :3

Heh, I think LAN parties are already unnecessary for what was their original purpose--playing together.

Getting together to socialize IRL, though? That can't be replicated through the intertubes.

by petetheduck, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 22:48 (4083 days ago) @ Captain Spark

My gut feeling is that you're thinking about this game in the traditional sense that it has a singleplayer campaign--a certain number of missions to complete, and then you move on to the multiplayer aspects.

The impression I have, at this early stage with no information, is that "missions" are more like Reach's Challenges within the sandbox of Destiny. That the world IS the story, and as you move about it you learn more.. but not that you progress from mission to mission, cutscene to cutscene..

by Leisandir @, Virginia, USA, Monday, February 18, 2013, 09:25 (4083 days ago) @ petetheduck

My gut feeling is that you're thinking about this game in the traditional sense that it has a singleplayer campaign--a certain number of missions to complete, and then you move on to the multiplayer aspects.

The impression I have, at this early stage with no information, is that "missions" are more like Reach's Challenges within the sandbox of Destiny. That the world IS the story, and as you move about it you learn more.. but not that you progress from mission to mission, cutscene to cutscene..

That's what I'm feeling. The true value of a game with multiplayer focus isn't in a story told by the developer, but by the players. I think the vidoc said something along the lines of "we don't know where the universe is going because you guys will have a part in that."

If it matches you by skill . . .

by Jillybean, Monday, February 18, 2013, 03:10 (4083 days ago) @ Captain Spark

Am I destined to never meet any of your guys because I'm stuck in the nursery?

by Mercury, Chicago, IL, Monday, February 18, 2013, 09:45 (4083 days ago) @ Jillybean

I'll be in the nicu next door, Jilly, struggling to breath.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, February 18, 2013, 11:25 (4083 days ago) @ Jillybean

I am thinking the skill matching just applies to which other players show up in your playspace automatically. It seems likely that you can still choose to join up with your friends.

Not only that...

by NsU Soldier @, Washington, Monday, February 18, 2013, 14:46 (4082 days ago) @ stabbim

I am thinking the skill matching just applies to which other players show up in your playspace automatically. It seems likely that you can still choose to join up with your friends.

Anyone else thinking that they'll custom tailor PvE encounters depending your group's average skill? Challenge for everyone!

by MrGreencastle, Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 10:29 (4082 days ago) @ Captain Spark

I imagine you can set the game to private. Would seem strange not to allow soloing, even if you have to be connected. That said, if it works anything like Journey, the process is completely seamless and the other player might as well be an NPC.

Although, consider that the game and missions are designed solely around allowing players to "phase" in and out. You could have cool scenarios that are designed to be done solo, but then as you get to a point in the mission that becomes too difficult to manage alone, then Bungie could set triggers to commence the matchmaking process behind the scenes and allow others to hop in to help you finish the level. All "by-design", and this sort of stuff could be scripted, handled dynamically by AI systems, etc. Likewise, you could have missions that are Squad-only that do the same thing. Or different combinations of each!

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 10:40 (4082 days ago) @ MrGreencastle

This is how I have been imagining it would work. They even seem to hint at it in their press event with the female Guardian showing up when they were struggling. That of course could just be to make the story sound cooler, but it would be awesome if it was in response to their distress.

by MrGreencastle, Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 10:51 (4082 days ago) @ Xenos

Just thinking of the implications of this game is ruining other games for me lol

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread