Shadow of War to remove loot boxes (Gaming)

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Tuesday, April 03, 2018, 10:30 (2187 days ago)

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/04/no-more-buying-orcs-paid-loot-boxes-cut-from-middle-earth-shadow-of-war/

Basically they decided that the loot boxes don't make sense in the context of the game, thus breaking immersion even for players who "ignore" them.

Shadow of War to remove loot boxes

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, April 03, 2018, 10:46 (2187 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/04/no-more-buying-orcs-paid-loot-boxes-cut-from-middle-earth-shadow-of-war/

Basically they decided that the loot boxes don't make sense in the context of the game, thus breaking immersion even for players who "ignore" them.

You mean there’s a new big DLC coming out soon, and the loot boxes aren’t making enough money anyway, so they decided it’s worth taking them out to try and get the Cody Millers and Cyber’s of the world to actually buy it now?

If you feel like being cynical about it

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Tuesday, April 03, 2018, 11:47 (2187 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

I do. (:

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, April 03, 2018, 11:55 (2187 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

But I strongly disliked the first game to begin with.

I take a mostly cynical view in general when it comes to dealing with any company. It’s true more often than not.

I think this is a great move, but it still reeks of trying to get good PR. If they thought loot boxes were so detrimental, they wouldn’t have been in the game to begin with. It’s the same thing Battlefront II is going through right now. It’s mostly too little, too late, and it doesn’t seem to me an actual attempt to respond to community complaints (or it would have happened much sooner), but rather of a game reaching the end of its relevance and an attempt to garner a bit of good will and mop up some extra sales on the way out the door.

(cough)

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Tuesday, April 03, 2018, 11:06 (2187 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Missed that post apparently

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Tuesday, April 03, 2018, 11:47 (2187 days ago) @ Morpheus

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread