Skolas Rules, Raids, some thoughts on D1 v D2, etc. (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, April 03, 2018, 21:17 (2213 days ago)

Cyber, Cody, and I just killed Skolas (he's a real chump now, but it was still fun).

We talked about it a bit, but it made me think about Destiny encounters in general, and raids (and Skolas), and now I have a random mess of thoughts that you all get to wade through.

What makes for a good raid (or boss) encounter?

I instantly think of what makes a bad boss encounter, and I remember early Nightfalls. Everyone huddled in the back of the room with sniper rifles and rocket launchers, taking potshots at the boss from relative safety. It was pretty boring.

Which leads me to Skolas, and the reason that it's still my favorite D1 encounter: movement. Yeah, the leading strategy when he was still really difficult was huddling on or under the balcony in the corner of the room, but the encounter was designed around that. The combination of having to pass the Devouring Essence back and forth (and the timer ensuring that everyone will have to take a turn) along with dismantling mines means that, unless you get very lucky and have mines appear in the right order at the right time, everyone is going to have to do some running. It requires movement and, often, some flexibility from players to ensure that the Essence is passed correctly and the mines are disabled, all while still damaging (or sometimes just avoiding) Skolas.

Which brings me to Mines and Argos, which I'll put in spoiler brackets for Korny, just in case. I don't talk about specifics at all, so I'd say it's safe, but just in case.

Mines and Argos have replaced Skolas for me as the best encounter in Destiny. I know it's two separate encounters (if it really came down to it, I think I might like mines a bit more). It's an encounter that's fundamentally about movement and flexibility. I have never actually defeated Argos, yet, but every time I've done Mines or Argos, there's been some switching of roles due to a death or just bad positioning. It's an encounter that asks everyone to actually understand what's going on, rather than just being told to stand in a certain spot and shoot something. It also obviously has tons of shooting and some of the waves can be pretty tough to survive, if you get caught alone on a platform, so it's still got a lot of the classic Destiny moment to moment shooting.

Compare that with Baths, which, while it does have some movement due to passing the buff, mostly boils down to standing on the right platform and shooting, then running to the middle to stand in a specific spot and shoot something. Sure, figuring it out was fun and pretty neat, but that's mostly true of all the raid encounters. Calus Shadow Realm also sort of just boils down to standing the right spot and shooting a few Psions. Oddly enough, I think The Gauntlet is the encounter that breaks from that, at least if you do the non-mobile strategy (which I still like better). It definitely boils down to just standing on a platform and shooting the right target. But I think the rhythm and efficiency of shooting your target, jumping to punch the psion, jumping back to the platform, and turning to hit the next target is compelling enough to make up for it.

I really hope we see more Mines/Argos type things moving forward. I think I like it better than the Atheon and Oryx picking players at random for a role they may not be comfortable with. While that's fine, I think Mines/Argos and even Skolas encourage and require that same flexibility without actually forcing a random player to suddenly be the entire crux of the encounter. Something like being a runner for Oryx or Sisters or Vosik requires a single person to do a mobility based challenge, while the rest of the team can just pick a spot and hang out, for the most part. Mines and Argos require the entire team to be highly mobile throughout the encounter, and I think that's when Destiny is at its best.

Which brings me to D1 v D2.

I've been thinking about it a lot in the last few weeks, now that I've been going back to D1. After tonight, I'm even more sure that D1 feels better than D2. Whether that's the guns or the movement or the ability recharge rates or all of the above, it just feels better to me. I think D2 still feels great, and if I had never gone back to D1, I'd have probably said it was better in that regard.

But I think D2 does one particular thing much better that I previously took for granted in regards to my first point above. And that comes down to boss encounters and strikes. All of the strike bosses require constant movement. The bosses are all very mobile. Cover moves around or disappears entirely in at least two strikes. I'm trying to think about all of the strikes, and I can't think of one that just lets you sit in a corner and pick at the boss like you could do with almost all of the strikes in D1. Savathun's Song is the closest to allowing it, but the Shrieker moves around enough to the far corners of the space to require the players to at least change positions, even if there isn't a whole lot of constant movement like a lot of the other strikes require.

I think Destiny 2 really encourages (and often forces) its players to be mobile, whereas large swaths of Destiny 1 could be played by parking in a corner and plinking away from across the room.

Skolas Rules, Raids, some thoughts on D1 v D2, etc.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, April 03, 2018, 23:57 (2213 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I'm a huge sucker for full-team coordination, so I agree with you. Skolas was pretty damn fun and Mines/Argos is the best. I think D2 did Raids really, really well. I used to think Aksis would be the epitome of full-team coordination, but D2 just blew that out of the water.

Well done, Bungle. Keep up the good work. :)

by tarrsk, Monday, April 09, 2018, 06:39 (2208 days ago) @ ZackDark

Totally agree! I went backwards from D2 to (very recently) D1, and just finished WOTM for the first time this past weekend. Aksis was a lot of fun, but it was interesting playing an encounter that I'd heard a ton about as requiring a lot of coordination... and then being like "Wait, that was it? Calus and Argos required way more communication..."

It seems like everyone on the Destiny subreddit far prefers the D1 raids, but as someone who played D2 first, I feel like Leviathan and EOW are both incredibly well-designed experiences. Between the gorgeous visual and sound design for both D2 raids, and the audacity of the encounter mechanics (plus my own personal affinity for co-op puzzle solving and platforming challenges), I put them both up there with the best video game levels I've ever played.

(BTW - Old-time HBOer here who missed out on D1 due to life stuff and hasn't been on bungie.org in ages, other than a couple of recent games with Claude - hi man!)

+1

by Claude Errera @, Monday, April 09, 2018, 14:29 (2208 days ago) @ tarrsk

(BTW - Old-time HBOer here who missed out on D1 due to life stuff and hasn't been on bungie.org in ages, other than a couple of recent games with Claude - hi man!)

I keep meaning to look for you again for some raiding!

+1

by tarrsk, Wednesday, April 11, 2018, 06:26 (2206 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Definitely! :D The wife and I raid a couple times a week - feel free to message us if you're putting a group together for a run.

by Harmanimus @, Wednesday, April 04, 2018, 00:57 (2213 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I have not played the Raid Lair, so I won't get into that, most of what your comments made me think of were D1 memories, anyway.

There is a set of boxes when you fight the boss in Exodus Crash (left side oriented from point-of-entry) but you can only do that as a Titan, but really there are other issues with that fight (still think there are too many phases when you can't damage the boss) that I would rather see addressed.

Anyway, I definitely think you are right about the best encounters in Destiny requiring at least some mobility. My favorite Raid encounters are usually the mobility ones. Disappearing Platforms in VoG, Tombships and The Rude Wall in KF. Though the ones that are also combat encounters which requirement coordinated movement - not necessarily complex movement, Skolas' fight doesn't being in any non-standard movement requirements and is a good example - are probably the most rewarding.

The Abyss (and to a lesser extent regarding movement, The Bridge) is still one of the most enjoyable fresh experiences I've had with Destiny. Even encounters with staggered movement, like Totems in KF as your warm up to the Warpriest is probably one of the encounters I would identify as great from an overall design perspective. In a similar manner to The Bridge in CE where you had to coordinate placement to support movement, though one-at-a-time on The Bridge, the Totem fight in KF requires all of the players to be cognizant of timing, movement, and communication in a way much like passing the debuff was required with Skolas needed you to juggle more than just what you were shooting at.

Though at this point some of the Strike bosses in D2 are still somewhat disappointing, I appreciate that they all, at a minimum, operate in phases. That was a distinct improvement. Changing geometry, introduction of environmental hazards, and varying boss attack patterns shows that there was a lot learned from D1. Even the reimagined D1 strikes showed that a lot had been learned.

But you're spot on that usually the best of the experiences are the ones that support and encourage movement. I'm hoping to see even more of the in D2 as time goes forward, though.

The edge of failure.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, April 04, 2018, 06:06 (2213 days ago) @ cheapLEY

The other thing Skolas does well (better than anything else in Destiny even?) is tension. The combination of passing the essence and dismantling mines is tense, and feels like you’re always just on the edge of failing. Even last night, when it was really easy, there was that inherent tension of “C’mon, I’ve only got five seconds, hurry, take this thing from me.” It’s sort of choatic, and even the best runs feel like sort of a sloppy mess of narrow misses.

The edge of failure.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, April 04, 2018, 06:43 (2213 days ago) @ cheapLEY

The other thing Skolas does well (better than anything else in Destiny even?) is tension. The combination of passing the essence and dismantling mines is tense, and feels like you’re always just on the edge of failing. Even last night, when it was really easy, there was that inherent tension of “C’mon, I’ve only got five seconds, hurry, take this thing from me.” It’s sort of choatic, and even the best runs feel like sort of a sloppy mess of narrow misses.

I think you hit this pretty well. And I frankly don't know if I like the difference between a timer (skolas) or a single effect and a good head timer (argos) is better. They both provide tension but I don't know if I actually want a timer? I'm still up in the air. I like that no timer provides MORE tension but at the same time you never get to say "Hey, remember that time we passed off within seconds every time!?"

The edge of failure.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, April 04, 2018, 08:57 (2213 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Well, there is the charging up sound to get you anxious, if you miss the feeling. :p

D2 did make an effort in the strikes

by Durandal, Wednesday, April 04, 2018, 06:29 (2213 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I would agree that D2 made a big effort to try and make strike bosses interesting. D1 largely has the bosses as huge hitpoint sinks that just fire away. Golgoroth, the ogre in the strike on the moon, and Valus T'arc being the most egregious examples. They fire almost constantly, have a stomp if you get near, and are swarming with ads. Forcing people to find cover and snipe from far away.

If I have a complaint in D2, it's that the boss from the Nessus strike that teleports is too aggressive, often running players right off the map. Brackus can get this way as well, if your two teammates are dead he just runs right up and guns you down and there isn't much you can do about it.

Having run the Raid Lair now, I have to say it felt more like the Crota strike, which was fun but not as stringent as KF for positioning, and it involves the whole team somewhat, so no people hiding in the back with rockets.

That Argus battle really makes people move, use their abilities wisely, and change up what weapons are preferred moment to moment. I think that is what makes the game fun. You have pressure, and it's tough, but there is room to handle it your way, and it's not so intimidating about one person screwing up everything because of a lucky Psion blast.

D2 did make an effort in the strikes

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, April 04, 2018, 06:47 (2213 days ago) @ Durandal

That Argus battle really makes people move, use their abilities wisely, and change up what weapons are preferred moment to moment. I think that is what makes the game fun. You have pressure, and it's tough, but there is room to handle it your way, and it's not so intimidating about one person screwing up everything because of a lucky Psion blast.

I also never felt like I got screwed by anything in raid lair. I don't ever recall being like "wtf just happened to me!? how did I die?" which has happened a lot in previous raids. Instead it's most definitely a "Well, I just @#$%ed up, sorry guys"

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, April 04, 2018, 08:14 (2213 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I do love the lair for many of the reasons you describe. I'll ping you next time we have one scheduled. We finish it pretty consistently these days. Had a rough time few weeks back, but that was an outlier.

Forgiveness

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, April 04, 2018, 12:08 (2213 days ago) @ cheapLEY

This thread is great - I really like thinking about what makes some encounters really fun, and others a chore.

I think the idea of mobility is important in whether an encounter stands the test of time... but it might be a side effect. When I look back on the Raids (we have 6 now! Wow.) the ones that are most replayable, for me, are the ones that don't let anyone off the hook.

I think Bungie didn't like the idea of someone getting comfortable doing one thing. We saw this in the very first raid; during the Atheon encounter, the three players furthest back in the room were teleported in time, and so teams split up to put the people most comfortable with that encounter in the back. Bungie's response? They picked the three transporters at random. Your whole team had to learn to be comfortable in both tasks.

Crota was more forgiving; there weren't any encounters that forced players to do things they weren't comfortable with (as long as their team contained people who WERE comfortable, of course). This made Crota both less and more replayable, I think. For normal raiders, it was less interesting... but some of the groups I played with played it endlessly... but with twists. (It was the only raid where people of MY caliber could 3-man it, for example.)

King's Fall was a refinement in the 'everyone needs to be able to do everything'... and was the least forgiving raid yet. Totems and Sisters, specifically, could crush even seasoned teams, because of the lack of wiggle room. One person dies, and it's almost always a wipe. Sisters threw in the random factor, with teams being (mostly) unable to pick their runners - so you could be good at all the tasks except one, and your team could still fail, because the game assigned that one task to you. There was a TINY bit of forgiveness on the final encounter; if you didn't complete all 4 orbs on each round, you had one extra round to play with... but mostly, if you failed somewhere, you were better off wiping and starting the encounter over.

That, I think, is the biggest lesson Bungie learned: that lack of forgiveness made a lot of people hate KF.

Aksis allowed screwups. By the time we were max light, you could finish him in 2 rounds, 3 if you were sloppy... but you had 5, so there was plenty of wiggle room. Vosik could be downed, even on Hard Mode (so no revives), by a less-than-full team; it wasn't a mandatory wipe if someone died. You still needed to know how to do all the roles (if someone died, someone doing a different role would need to take over)... but the emphasis wasn't on precision any more. You had to be good, but not perfect.

I feel like that carried over into D2, and I'm glad. There's still an emphasis on knowing all tasks (even more so in the Challenge and Prestige modes, where you're FORCED into every role on some encounters)... but you're allowed to make mistakes, as a team. For the most part, they're recoverable-from.

There are some decisions I don't understand. Some encounters are skippable; Tombships in KF, for example. If you simply can't make the jumps, just wait on the starting platform; when the first member of your team goes up the elevator, you'll be dragged forward. Some encounters are not, though. Golgoroth's cellar is confusing, and some people have real trouble with it. There's no skipping it, though; the door at the end won't open unless all team members are there. (You can get around this, of course; the person having trouble can go to orbit, the team can go through the door, and then the orbiting person can rejoin... but it's DESIGNED to force everyone through the maze, which is a weird decision given that you're allowed to skip the tombships.)

Bottom line, though: I think what Bungie has been morphing towards, with each raid, is an encounter where everyone has to be able to do everything... but nobody's required to be perfect at anything. You have to be a well-oiled machine, but Bungie's willing to let you pack along a bit of WD-40.

It's amazing how well they nailed Vault of Glass; it contains a lot of the design decisions they have honed in the past 4 years... but that they moved away from after VoG and are only now getting back to. In hindsight, that seems like a lucky accident more than a thought-through plan. ;)

Mistakes

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, April 04, 2018, 12:50 (2213 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Yeah, the ability to recover from a mistake is huge. If a player makes a mistake, it should put them at a disadvantage, but great play should be able to dig them out of the hole. Obviously if they make ANOTHER mistake while in the hole, that's the end. You should always have a chance to recover, even if that chance is hard to capitalize on.

The freedom to improvise and scramble is the difference between feeling like you are playing a video game, versus feeling like you are just pushing the right buttons in sequence.

Freedom to Improvise

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, April 04, 2018, 13:08 (2213 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Another reason I like Skolas (and the raid lair).

There’s a specific task to accomplish, but it’s left largely up to players on how to get it done. I like that freedom versus the stuff that’s more “stand here to get a buff that you need to actually accomplish anything.” I like figuring that stuff out, but it’s less interesting than Skolas which is “kill this guy while also dealing with these extra factors”

Forgiveness

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, April 04, 2018, 15:41 (2213 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Not a lot to add, but I think that’s a good point. I think we talked about that point when we first completed Leviathan, and I think the final two encounters of the raid laid really put that at the forefront. Everyone has to understand what’s happening, everyone has to be on their game, but there’s room for error and clutch plays to salvage a run.

Forgiveness

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, April 05, 2018, 11:50 (2212 days ago) @ cheapLEY

It's also fun because there's a ton of room to form your own (sometimes wildly less efficient) strategy. When we first did the Raid Lair we got some wrong ideas into our head but pushed forward with them anyway and sorta brute forced our way to victory.

Forgiveness

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, April 05, 2018, 11:55 (2212 days ago) @ Ragashingo

It's also fun because there's a ton of room to form your own (sometimes wildly less efficient) strategy. When we first did the Raid Lair we got some wrong ideas into our head but pushed forward with them anyway and sorta brute forced our way to victory.

I think that's my favorite thing about the Raid lair... the last 2 encounters, anyway. It's a very technically elaborate pair of encounters, but the more familiar a team becomes with it, the more the strategy tends to narrow down towards "just call it out as it happens, and we'll improvise". We kept finding situations where our strategy wouldn't cover a potential outcome, so we'd need to break from our plan to handle it. Turned out having almost no plan made things flow more easily. But your entire team needs to have a firm grasp on what is happening in order to pull that off.

Forgiveness

by breitzen @, Kansas, Thursday, April 05, 2018, 13:02 (2212 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I think that's my favorite thing about the Raid lair... the last 2 encounters, anyway. It's a very technically elaborate pair of encounters, but the more familiar a team becomes with it, the more the strategy tends to narrow down towards "just call it out as it happens, and we'll improvise". We kept finding situations where our strategy wouldn't cover a potential outcome, so we'd need to break from our plan to handle it. Turned out having almost no plan made things flow more easily. But your entire team needs to have a firm grasp on what is happening in order to pull that off.

Agreed! When we played last night during the Mines encounter I was just goofing around (in a helpful kind of way) killing things. We didn't call out positions at the start or anything. Just started it and ran with it.

The VOG thing

by Durandal, Thursday, April 05, 2018, 10:58 (2212 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I think after VoG and CE, there was lots of concern about people cheesing the raids or getting carried through it. I used to solo pull people through CE all the way to the Deathsinger, people who normally never raided just so they could get raid loot for once.

That was a common critique of Bungie's raid design, which I think they mentioned somewhere in a podcast or something.

So KF was designed in part to prove that they could, if desired, make players learn all the roles in a raid and move where they wanted, and unable to solo the raid.

WoTM was then a relaxation of that idea from KF. They had shown they could force players, and now moved back to a more relaxed design concept.

Interesting theory!

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, April 05, 2018, 11:08 (2212 days ago) @ Durandal

- No text -

The Bridge, and "Hero Moments"

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, April 04, 2018, 13:16 (2213 days ago) @ cheapLEY

A lot of great points in this thread :)

There are plenty of great encounters throughout Destiny and Destiny 2 at this point. For me, The Bridge section of the Crota raid is still my favorite. It has complexity, without being overwhelming. Everyone has a job to do, but it's not so rigid as to prevent improvisation, or prevent recovery after a mistake.

Digging deeper, I think one of the things about that encounter that makes it so cool is that it is filled with little "Hero Moments", and there are often several of them happening at the same time. Everyone gets to take their turn at killing the sword bearer, running across the bridge, and killing the blue knight. It's a great "my turn up to the plate" moment where everyone gets their chance to take center stage. But beyond that, there are several other unique hero moments repeating in their own little dramas. The first player across the bridge plays a pivotal and stressful role. Then there's the player who takes the center plate on the far side, and needs to spend the whole encounter dodging sword knights without losing control of their plate. There's the player on the far-left plate that needs to deal with a steady stream of boomers and wizards. The final player across has some pressure on them as well, being separated from the rest of the team and with so many foes between them and the bridge.

The great thing about each of these roles is that they are all important, but some are quite clearly more challenging than others. Or at the very least, they require different skills/abilities. It adds a strategic layer to planning beyond "you 3 go right, we'll go left". The team needs to select carefully.

The brilliance of this encounter is evident in the way it can be equally thrilling to see it executed perfectly...

or saved from the brink of disaster:

"Hero Moments"

by Harmanimus @, Thursday, April 05, 2018, 16:04 (2212 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I think playing that encounter strait is a greatly fulfilling experience. Though speaking of hero moments in Raids, hail marying a flashbang across the chasm to buy just enough time for the far team to not get wiped is still one of my favorites. Flashbangs were always underrated in D1 PvE.

"Hero Moments"

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Thursday, April 05, 2018, 16:30 (2212 days ago) @ Harmanimus
edited by CyberKN, Thursday, April 05, 2018, 16:35

Flashbangs were always underrated in D1 PvE.

Truth!

Fun fact: Prior to the Day 1 patch, they could also blind Ultra/Boss-tier enemies.

I can't believe you got me wanting to play Skolas again.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, April 05, 2018, 13:31 (2212 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

I love the Skolas fight...

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, April 05, 2018, 13:35 (2212 days ago) @ Kermit

... it's everything in PoE leading up to it that makes me think twice, lol

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, April 05, 2018, 13:44 (2212 days ago) @ Kermit

I'd definitely do it again.

It's easy now. Too easy, actually.

It took us an like hour, and we had to do a level 28 Prison of Elders first to unlock level 35 for me.

by Robot Chickens, Thursday, April 05, 2018, 14:43 (2212 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I'd definitely do it again.

It's easy now. Too easy, actually.

I loved the Skolas fight but it did get a bit too easy. I remember burning him with a team of titans using the Weapons of Light bubble and Thunderlords before the mine the disease even started to spread.

IMHO Destiny is best when you're slightly underleveled and the challenges are hard. It's great when you can go stomp things later, but that's not quite as fun outside of the nostalgic value of "remember when this took us 20 tries?" That's one of the reasons I loved that Crota could be solo'd through to the end. It gave me a goal to strive for even after leveling made it easier.

Ya'll are crazy.

by breitzen @, Kansas, Friday, April 06, 2018, 06:18 (2211 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

Skolas is the one endgame activity I really disliked. Granted I don't think I ever went back to play it when I was over-leveled, so my only experience was hiding in the dang corner with Raga's bubble shield.

But, it was a very nice bubble...

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, April 06, 2018, 06:57 (2211 days ago) @ breitzen

- No text -

Indeed it was!

by breitzen @, Kansas, Friday, April 06, 2018, 07:02 (2211 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Not as personal as a D2 Rift ;) but a very comfortable sphere indeed.

I'm not sure I'm ready to unleash THAT joke on the world...

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, April 06, 2018, 07:05 (2211 days ago) @ breitzen

- No text -

Too late ;)

by breitzen @, Kansas, Friday, April 06, 2018, 07:12 (2211 days ago) @ Ragashingo

[image]

Ya'll are crazy.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, April 06, 2018, 07:37 (2211 days ago) @ breitzen

Skolas is the one endgame activity I really disliked. Granted I don't think I ever went back to play it when I was over-leveled, so my only experience was hiding in the dang corner with Raga's bubble shield.

Yeah, mine, too. Except I think it was with Funkmon and Chewbaccawacca.

It's more fun when broken by high levels and gear.

by Funkmon @, Friday, April 06, 2018, 09:40 (2211 days ago) @ Kermit

The thing is, we're looking back at the stuff and playing the stuff beyond what was intended initially.

Hard mode Crota was INTENDED to be absurdly difficult because we were underleveled. Skolas was too, plus no swords to block the death.

You essentially had no freedom in these encounters when played as intended.

As soon as we hit 34 and 40, Crota and Skolas became fun and flexible. They were not at the time. They were awful to get through.

It's more fun when broken by high levels and gear.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, April 06, 2018, 09:57 (2211 days ago) @ Funkmon

The thing is, we're looking back at the stuff and playing the stuff beyond what was intended initially.

Hard mode Crota was INTENDED to be absurdly difficult because we were underleveled. Skolas was too, plus no swords to block the death.

You essentially had no freedom in these encounters when played as intended.

As soon as we hit 34 and 40, Crota and Skolas became fun and flexible. They were not at the time. They were awful to get through.

I somewhat agree, although more in the case of Crota than Skolas.

Hard mode Crota was, when it originally launched, brutal. Not just because of pure challenge, but because the damn encounter was so buggy. Crota's behavior was erratic, his sword lunges sometimes involved time travel, it was impossible to predict if/when he would turn his attention to the sword runner or completely ignore them, etc. But by House of Wolves, being just slightly over-leveled took just enough of an edge off the encounter to make it way more fun IMO.

With Skolas, I love how brutally difficult it was when it first launched. My problem was always the fact that you had to play all the way through the rest of Prison of Elders, which was a) not fun (IMO), and b) very time consuming and without checkpoints. I thought the fight itself was a brilliantly designed encounter. I love the level of communication and skilled execution that it took to complete it. It was thrilling, and felt like a real accomplishment to complete, and failure never felt like the result of random BS the way it could with Crota. I just hardly ever got to experience it without already feeling exhausted and worn out due to grinding through the rest of PoE on the way to Skolas. Checkpoints would have made all the difference.

Going back to Skolas over-leveled is still enjoyable, and it makes the rest of PoE far less painful (because you can just breeze through it now). But trivializing the Skolas fight does take a good chunk of the fun out of it for me. It's still cool though.

Moment of Triumph Skolas

by cheapLEY @, Friday, April 06, 2018, 10:24 (2211 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY
edited by cheapLEY, Friday, April 06, 2018, 10:28

Why the hell does Apple feel like the backspace button should be right next to the return button on the iPhone keyboard? Idiots.

Anyway, Moment if Triumh was where I spent most of my time with Skolas. I did it once around when HoW launched and it was brutal. By the time MoT came around, it was still difficult, but it wasn’t “lose three hours a night for a week straight and still fail” difficult. I ran with quite a few groups pretty last minute to help folks get that last thing for MoT, and that’s where I really fell in love with that fight.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread