THAB 04/05/14 (Destiny)

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Thursday, April 05, 2018, 15:27 (2206 days ago)

Whoa. Weapon slot changes. A must-read update, all around.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, April 05, 2018, 15:40 (2206 days ago) @ CyberKN

Q: I really wish D2 weapons system returns to primary/special/heavy. It was better than the current one. Is my wish reasonable?

Josh: We know that you want more control over your loadouts. You can expect weapon slot changes in the future of Destiny 2. We are actively working on a new system right now and we will have more to show and tell this summer.

That is intriguing.

Also, since Bungie's philosophy on balance and nerfs has come up a few times recently, it seems good to point out:

Q: Will Vigilance Wing be allowed to reign supreme in the crucible or will we see any fine tuning in the near future?

Josh: While we will continue to adjust the Sandbox, we are not planning an outright nerf to Vigilance Wing at this time. We don’t believe slowing Vigilance Wing’s TTK in a world where our players are asking for a faster TTK is the right call. Instead, we should be adjusting more weapons up to a level where they can compete. I believe you’ll find a few retuned Exotics that can do that in the Season 3 Exotic update.

It all sounds good!

by Funkmon @, Friday, April 06, 2018, 08:18 (2205 days ago) @ cheapLEY

By the way, I'm calling it now. If they return to primary special heavy, within a month the subreddit will complain and say they liked it better before.

I wonder about the community summit. Will it all be twitch streamers? Will they be the well known ones who quit playing? Will they be the ones who still play?

I'm always worried about Bungie listening to the fans, and indeed the streamers who have a strange relationship with the game, as I think most of the decisions I haven't liked have come from those people, at least indirectly. They then immediately turn on themselves.

Even if they find the ones who actually do know what they really want, what's the game?

Are the streamers wanting something that will attract more viewers? That could be bad.

Are streamers who quit playing so much the best people to ask? Every game release, big fans leave and new big fans are created, and that's the nature of the game. Should Bingle have built in warthig jumping to keep Dark Helmet in their games? Probably not.

Are streamers who are STILL playing the best people to ask? Maybe not. If they think a lot of the Destiny community is upset with the game, the gripes of those who play 6 hours a day probably aren't the same as normal peoples', and may even be worse.

Should they listen to Cody Miller? No.

I hope they can navigate this minefield!

It all sounds good!

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, April 06, 2018, 10:13 (2205 days ago) @ Funkmon

By the way, I'm calling it now. If they return to primary special heavy, within a month the subreddit will complain and say they liked it better before.

Now that's a bet you'll likely win, if only because any change causes somebody who was quiet before to speak up in displeasure.

I wonder about the community summit. Will it all be twitch streamers? Will they be the well known ones who quit playing? Will they be the ones who still play?

They need advertising, so of course it'll be all Twitch streamers.

Even if they find the ones who actually do know what they really want, what's the game?

Are the streamers wanting something that will attract more viewers? That could be bad.

Of course. Remember that these days, streamers and viewers are very much a huge focus for publishers. They want ALL of the money, and all of the attention, so they ravenously cling to whatever it is, and so developers react to that before people move on to the next thing. Otherwise they're left behind. Right now is a tough time for many developers, so fewer and fewer are making choices for the sake of the game itself. Look at Paragon, or Gigantic. Solid games with a dedicated playerbase, but without the huge Twitch numbers or exponential growth... The publisher decided to kill them off, rather than polishing or tweaking them.

Before the era of Twitch, you had a game like FF XIV, which had a full year to completely overhaul its systems for the sake of making a better game. Would that have happened these days?

Then again, you have modern games made almost exclusively around the idea of having viewers. Games like Cliffy B's Lawbreakers, which aren't very appealing to many players (especially with the barebones content), but are entertaining to watch... for a while. A huge chunk of the game's marketing was through sponsored streamers, but during the game's Betas, the streamers were pointing out that the game didn't have much content to keep them interested for long, and the game was pretty much completely Dead on Arrival without the Streamers' support.
Even Cliffy B was salty towards one of the streamers paid to play his game, but who wasn't into it...

Are streamers who quit playing so much the best people to ask? Every game release, big fans leave and new big fans are created, and that's the nature of the game. Should Bingle have built in warthig jumping to keep Dark Helmet in their games? Probably not.

Warthog jumping was definitely a fun feature that I was sad to see go in favor of more predictable design. That said, the streamers and the ultra-competitive are definitely NOT the audience that should be catered to when it comes to weapon balance or sandbox changes. Just look at how the so-called"Pro-Team" ruined Halo for the majority of Halo fans. Sure, they have new fans that like the direction that the games went, but Halo isn't a console seller like it once was (If it wasn't for the dolts who got an Xbone for the MCC, I feel like 343 would have been disbanded already, and the Halo series put on Hiatus like the Gears franchise was).

Are streamers who are STILL playing the best people to ask? Maybe not. If they think a lot of the Destiny community is upset with the game, the gripes of those who play 6 hours a day probably aren't the same as normal peoples', and may even be worse.

Definitely. Remember when these same people were the ones affected by the XP throttling, and the people who don't play as much were permanently punished by the normalized XP changes? Who was it that totally called it well before it happened?

Should they listen to Cody Miller? No.

That's a good mantra.

I hope they can navigate this minefield!

Lawbreakers was too competitive for its own good. RIP

by Harmanimus @, Friday, April 06, 2018, 14:59 (2205 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

Lawbreakers, and the Trials of the Nine conondrum.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, April 06, 2018, 15:57 (2205 days ago) @ Harmanimus

Funny thing is that when they aimed to make it less competitive, with update 1.4 in September, the small, hardcore playerbase that it did have hated the changes, and left, and September ended with a 72% drop in the CCU, from 662 average daily players, to 185, with every month since losing at least half of the previous month's average. Nowadays the game is lucky to hit double digits in CCU.

It's a fine line, but I feel like it shows the dangers of not just appealing to the wrong crowd, but also of being unwilling to stick to your guns when you've got something small, but special. Not everything needs to be the smash hit of the season, and that's something that too many devs and publishers lose sight of.

I can see why Bungie is finally scrambling, though. Before this update, Trials had 49,073 total players across all platforms combined:

29,617 (PS4)
15,450 (XB1)
4,006 (PC)

.. Even at its lowest in Year 3, D1 Trials never dropped below 100k. D2 is seven months old.

And who is still playing Trials? The streamers doing carries, who complain endlessly about the game while they play. So their viewers also lose interest in coming back to the game. That's what killed Lawbreakers before it even launched. Then Bosskey realized that the streamers weren't the answer, too little, too late, and they lost their playerbase.

I dunno. I feel like Bungie is spending too many resources trying to undo the years of work put into their systems than on producing new content to bring back the people who have run out of things to do, and that's entirely self-inflicted. But obviously the Bosskey approach doesn't work either...

It's confusing...

by Robot Chickens, Friday, April 06, 2018, 17:04 (2205 days ago) @ Korny

I dunno. I feel like Bungie is spending too many resources trying to undo the years of work put into their systems than on producing new content to bring back the people who have run out of things to do

You and Funk are right. Fix stuff that's broken, but don't cater to the whims of the angry crowd. Bungie's can't win this one playing defense. Things like the Raid Lair and new modes will make it better. Appeasing people who have nostalgia for their favorite meta will always anger others who miss a different one.

by Harmanimus @, Friday, April 06, 2018, 17:24 (2205 days ago) @ Korny

Regarding the impact of streamers on Lawbreakers, the big issue of them killing hype was secondary both to the publisher backing and hype building (focusing on streamers, regardless of their response as I saw a lot of positive streams with an emphasis on skill) and poorly communicating the shift from F2P, and the real nail in the coffin was leaning too heavily on Skill Based MM. The moment you left he heard in skill your queue times skyrocketed. And then you’d often either run into games out of your league or stomps.

I don’t watch Trials very hard. But I was really into Lawbreakers. I built a PC to play it, even. And it wasn’t streamers who killed it.

I do think your point about ruining what you have that is good by chasing an audience is important. While I make no claim about how it is working with Destiny right now for Bungie, I think certain aspects of the last 4 years have shown that creating enjoyable experiences will drive an audience. And hopefully more developers learn to build with an intent of cultivating their audience and not trying to chase a different demographic.

6v6 Iron banner has been cancelled!

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, April 06, 2018, 10:35 (2205 days ago) @ CyberKN

Postponed, really.

Gotta update that FTB once more, Chickens!

by CougRon, Auburn, WA, USA, Friday, April 06, 2018, 12:02 (2205 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

Enthusiasm is waning. :-(

by Robot Chickens, Friday, April 06, 2018, 13:06 (2205 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

You're making me sad. :(

by Claude Errera @, Friday, April 06, 2018, 13:33 (2205 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

- No text -

I'll bounce back. It'll be fun when it actually happens.

by Robot Chickens, Friday, April 06, 2018, 13:54 (2205 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

+1

by Oholiab @, Friday, April 06, 2018, 16:30 (2205 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread