Michael Ironside returns as Sam Fisher--In GR: Wildlands (Off-Topic)

by cheapLEY @, Friday, April 06, 2018, 19:00 (2204 days ago)

https://www.polygon.com/2018/4/6/17206588/splinter-cell-sam-fisher-ghost-recon-wildlands-the-call-special-operation-c...

Has anyone played Wildlands? Is it any good? One of my friends is really into it. It seemed . . . well, I thought it looked pretty mediocre, but potentially fun. They did a neat Predator themed thing a while back.

So, there's no way they brought back Ironside to do Sam Fisher just for this DLC, right? They're totally teasing a new Splinter Cell game with this, right?! Please?

Michael Ironside returns as Sam Fisher--In GR: Wildlands

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, April 06, 2018, 19:26 (2204 days ago) @ cheapLEY

[image]

Mediocre but fun pretty much covers it

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Friday, April 06, 2018, 21:32 (2204 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

AAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, April 06, 2018, 22:30 (2204 days ago) @ cheapLEY

So, there's no way they brought back Ironside to do Sam Fisher just for this DLC, right? They're totally teasing a new Splinter Cell game with this, right?! Please?

[image]

DON'T! YOU! TEASE! ME! LIKE! THIS! UBISOFT!

DON'T YOU MAKE ME CRY - DAM IT! My Heart can only take so much.

ಥ_ಥ I haven't screamed in elated joy for a game since Halo 2, and I have to admit, I think it would be nice if I could kid out again, or whatever. Come on Ubisoft! AAHHH!

... ok ... I'm done.

Michael Ironside | Sam Fisher | Wildlands | UPDATE!

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, April 09, 2018, 21:44 (2201 days ago) @ cheapLEY

OMG THE GAVE SAM A PROPER OLD MAN BEARD I'M SO HAPPY... holy crap. I'm totally fanboyn' out right now.

Some one tell me why I shouldn't get this game simply for this one mission please. I need a voice of reason to tell my inner child to shut up and eat a cookie or something.
*I don't need it.*
'-_-' *I don't need it.* *I don't need it.*

*I don't need it.*

*I don't need it.**I don't need it.*

*I don't need it.**I don't need it.**I don't need it.*

I KNOW! I'll go eat some Oat Bran! That'll show my inner child who's boss. YEAH!

:P

You can watch a Lets Play.

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, April 10, 2018, 00:25 (2201 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

Sam says goodbye to Snake

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, April 11, 2018, 19:00 (2199 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Man, Ironside doesn't sound great, huh?

I'm not crying you're crying! (<3)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, April 11, 2018, 20:12 (2199 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Thursday, April 12, 2018, 06:22 (2199 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

The Sam Fisher quest line is available now. I played the first part of it last night. It required a stealth entry to a UNIDAD base (which I found really difficult, the game isn't really designed for stealth and as a result I'm not that great at it but it did force me to get a bit better) followed by a defend the position section where all the stealth-ing you did was for nothing and the entire base starts attacking your position (and you have like no cover). The team AI is particularly bad, but it would probably be quite a bit easier with a human partner or 3. I didn't finish, but I may call in some support to finish it.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, April 12, 2018, 09:31 (2199 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

The Sam Fisher quest line is available now. I played the first part of it last night. It required a stealth entry to a UNIDAD base (which I found really difficult, the game isn't really designed for stealth and as a result I'm not that great at it but it did force me to get a bit better) followed by a defend the position section where all the stealth-ing you did was for nothing and the entire base starts attacking your position (and you have like no cover). The team AI is particularly bad, but it would probably be quite a bit easier with a human partner or 3. I didn't finish, but I may call in some support to finish it.

I actually find the stealth in the game pretty good, but what made the mission so much harder is that you couldn't kill anyone! If I could have killed ONE guard it would've made the whole thing a lot easier. I ended up using a diversion grenade to get the guard to turn his back and snuck behind him.

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Thursday, April 12, 2018, 13:04 (2199 days ago) @ Xenos

Have you done the "jungle moved" mission yet?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, April 12, 2018, 13:25 (2199 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Yes! It was super hard only having 1-2 revives, but I finally managed to finish it by hunkering down between a rock and a tree.

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Thursday, April 12, 2018, 13:36 (2199 days ago) @ Xenos

I hadn't heard anything about it and was expecting it to be a joke instead of the real deal! Fun mission though.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, April 12, 2018, 11:33 (2199 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Yeah. I took up HarMahnaMahna's (:P) advice and watched it. I keep forgetting that's a thing now a days. How the mission plays out seemed really odd to me. Why did Ubisoft chose to make a Splinter Cell branded stealth mission with a required Ghost mechanic and then just switch it to straight up assault? Also, a resounding lack of a panther play style. They added the Karambit, but then don't let you use it in the Splinter Cell branded mission? Wha?

I give it a 5/10 + 2 for dem sweet sweet Michael Ironside vocals.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, April 12, 2018, 11:49 (2199 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Yeah. I took up HarMahnaMahna's (:P) advice and watched it. I keep forgetting that's a thing now a days. How the mission plays out seemed really odd to me. Why did Ubisoft chose to make a Splinter Cell branded stealth mission with a required Ghost mechanic and then just switch it to straight up assault? Also, a resounding lack of a panther play style. They added the Karambit, but then don't let you use it in the Splinter Cell branded mission? Wha?

I give it a 5/10 + 2 for dem sweet sweet Michael Ironside vocals.

Yeah, it was mostly just worth it to get the Splinter Cell goggles (which you actually put on when you enable night vision or thermal!) and for the cinematic.

Michael Ironside | Sam Fisher | Wildlands | UPDATE #2!

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, April 15, 2018, 17:51 (2195 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

...I'm Sam.

[image]

Also this clip solves for me a perplexing choice from Blacklist, that at the time didn't pass the smell test.

Michael Ironside | Sam Fisher | Wildlands | UPDATE #2!

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, April 15, 2018, 18:41 (2195 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

...I'm Sam.

[image]

Also this clip solves for me a perplexing choice from Blacklist, that at the time didn't pass the smell test.

Yeah, that was a neat little interview. It's cool that he seems proud of the character, at least for what it is.

The writing in Wildlands is real freaking bad, though, huh? Giant Bomb played a bit of that mission on their Unprofessional Fridays stream, and it made me go watch the rest of the mission. And I started the free play weekend (which I quit after about forty minutes--it's just not for me). Not that I ever really expect much from Tom Clancy branded games, but man Wildlands fails to clear even really low bar of quality for writing and dialogue.

Read Dead Redemption now Xbox One X Enhanced.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, April 11, 2018, 19:09 (2199 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Holy smokes.

Red Dead Redemption is now in 4K on Xbox One X, and it looks fantastic. I know what I'm doing until God of War next Friday.

A few other random thoughts:

1. This game feels like a precursor to The Witcher 3. They feel extremely similar in structure.

2. What happened to the voice actor for John Marston? His voice is unique and he's great, but he did RDR and then just disappeared. A real shame.

3. Guys, RDR is a real freakin' good game. I can't wait for RDR2.

Skip to 3:35 for a really great comparison running through town.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, April 11, 2018, 21:05 (2199 days ago) @ cheapLEY

2. What happened to the voice actor for John Marston? His voice is unique and he's great, but he did RDR and then just disappeared. A real shame.

https://www.polygon.com/features/2013/6/19/4406600/small-town-man-John-Marston

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, April 11, 2018, 21:35 (2199 days ago) @ CyberKN

Thanks for posting that! Good for him for getting out of there, if that's what he wanted. Still sort of a bummer he's not in more stuff--he really is great as Marston, and probably could have had a good career if he had pursued it. I don't blame him for not wanting to have to do that hustle, though.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, April 12, 2018, 07:35 (2199 days ago) @ CyberKN

I read that way back when--great article. Hate to say it, but I'm glad the voice of Marston "died" with him. It was so perfect, and now I don't get that weird disassociation of hearing Marston show up in a different universe.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, April 12, 2018, 08:15 (2199 days ago) @ Kermit

I read that way back when--great article. Hate to say it, but I'm glad the voice of Marston "died" with him. It was so perfect, and now I don't get that weird disassociation of hearing Marston show up in a different universe.

That does make sense. I can’t get over hearing Garrus every time I play The Division.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, April 12, 2018, 08:18 (2199 days ago) @ cheapLEY

That does make sense. I can’t get over hearing Garrus every time I play The Division.

THAT'S WHO THAT IS!!!!

I knew I knew that voice... it's been driving me crazy lol.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, April 12, 2018, 08:53 (2199 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Or the Arbiter every time I play Mass Effect.

Ghost Recon: Wildlands on sale on Xbox this weekend.

by cheapLEY @, Friday, April 13, 2018, 18:38 (2197 days ago) @ cheapLEY

The regular edition is $24.00, the Gold edition is $33. The season pass is $20 instead of $40, also. Just figured I'd let people know, since we've talked about a bit with this Sam Fisher event. It's also free to play this weekend, so you can try it out a bit before you buy it. I'm downloading it now.

I'm considering picking it up, but I'm also sure it'll get another sale eventually. I'm only 8ish hours into The Division, God of War is next week, I'm still slowly replaying Andromeda, etc.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread