Breaking Bad Season 5 Episode 14 *SP* (Off-Topic)

by UnrealCh13f @, San Luis Obispo, CA, Monday, September 16, 2013, 11:37 (3869 days ago)

Alright, so for the people who watched Breaking Bad last night, what did you guys think?

Recap (courtesy of r/breakingbad):

*The death of Hank (and Gomez).
*Almost all of Walter's money being taken from him and being left with $10 million.
*Walter giving up Jesse and then going into details about Jane's death.
*Jesse is now "in custody".
*The scene when Walter tries to get everyone to leave to start a new life.
*The phone call to Skylar.
*Everyone now knows who Walter is and what he did (including Walt Jr).
*Hank is dead and everyone knows this, even Marie (who thought that Hank had Walt handcuffed earlier in the day).
*Putting Holly in the firetruck, means he is giving Holly back to Skylar.
*Looks like he is "starting a new life" making use of "Saul's Guy," but we know he comes back from the flash-forward.
*The Dog

I am pretty much considering this episode to be the greatest episode in the history of Television. It was SO AMAZING.

Breaking Bad Season 5 Episode 14 *SP*

by TDSpiral ⌂ @, TDS Gaming Shack, WA, Monday, September 16, 2013, 13:10 (3869 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

I am pretty much considering this episode to be the greatest episode in the history of Television. It was SO AMAZING.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on it.

Six seasons building up to these point. Guh, that whole episode was so heartbreaking and painful to watch.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, September 16, 2013, 13:29 (3869 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

To me this where Walt really stepped up and became respectable again.

He was ready to give up ALL HIS MONEY to save Hank. He cares about family.

He lied on the phone when he knew the police were listening to get Skyler off the hook legally, and with Flynn, even if it ruined his life with no going back. He cares about his family.

To me, this episode was the moment he came back to his moral center.

It goes back to a discussion he had with Gus earlier in the series. Gus said a man provides for his family. Even if he is not thanked for it. Even if he is not loved for it. Even if he is HATED for it. Walt's a man.

My heart still sank when he uttered 'Found him' however!

My prediction is of course that he finds out Jessie is captive but not dead, and frees him at the expense of his own life.

by kapowaz, Monday, September 16, 2013, 13:47 (3869 days ago) @ Cody Miller

My prediction is of course that he finds out Jessie is captive but not dead, and frees him at the expense of his own life.

Whaddya know, for once we're in complete agreement.

by car15, Monday, September 16, 2013, 17:46 (3868 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It goes back to a discussion he had with Gus earlier in the series. Gus said a man provides for his family. Even if he is not thanked for it. Even if he is not loved for it. Even if he is HATED for it. Walt's a man.

That same thought went through my head as well. As much as he might hate to admit it, Walt has a lot in common with Gus. He's like an evil twin - he represents what Walt could become if he ever lost the people he loved.

by ncsuDuncan @, Monday, September 16, 2013, 17:49 (3868 days ago) @ Cody Miller

He lied on the phone when he knew the police were listening to get Skyler off the hook legally, and with Flynn, even if it ruined his life with no going back. He cares about his family.

Something else I thought of: He threatened to kill Skyler, which would probably convince the police to put her and the kids into some sort of witness protection program - keeping them safe from the ever-present threat of the Neo-Nazis.

What if that turned out to be true? *Ending prediction* *SP*

by UnrealCh13f @, San Luis Obispo, CA, Monday, September 16, 2013, 18:41 (3868 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan
edited by UnrealCh13f, Monday, September 16, 2013, 19:10

Something else I thought of: He threatened to kill Skyler, which would probably convince the police to put her and the kids into some sort of witness protection program - keeping them safe from the ever-present threat of the Neo-Nazis.

Assuming that does end up being the case, lets build on that.

Now that Walt knows that their family is safe from any threat, and almost no time left (due to the cancer)... What if he does use the M60 (as presented by the flash-forward a few episodes back), along with other "resources" to get back at the Neo-Nazis.

From there, lets go with Cody's prediction that Walt will free Jessie at the cost of Walt's life.

However, Walt leaves behind whatever is left of his remaining $10 million (or more if Walt finds the unused cash) to Jessie.

Assuming Jessie is now free of any wrongdoing, he can...

1) Go back to Andrea and Brock and be a family.
2) Give a portion of the money to give back to Skyler and family.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, September 18, 2013, 09:28 (3867 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Not a bad guess. I see a "say hello to my little friend!" moment in his future.

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Wednesday, September 18, 2013, 23:43 (3866 days ago) @ Kermit

Not a bad guess. I see a "say hello to my little friend!" moment in his future.

The writers definitely love their Scarface references.

[image]

I hate this show.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Monday, September 16, 2013, 19:39 (3868 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

I just want to watch this show at my own pace, but nooooo, I have to rush home to watch it, at least as soon as both me and my girlfriend have the time, because the entire world and its Internet is bent on trying to ruin every single scene and line of dialogue for me. Goddamnit, Jessie.

Heh.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, September 16, 2013, 19:43 (3868 days ago) @ Leviathan

Just do what I do and don't have any TV service. I remain blissfully ignorant of Breaking Bad and pretty much any other hit TV show. I dare say you couldn't spoil me if you wanted to since I have so little concept of who these characters are or what the show is even about.

Heh.

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Monday, September 16, 2013, 19:52 (3868 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Just do what I do and don't have any TV service. I remain blissfully ignorant of Breaking Bad and pretty much any other hit TV show. I dare say you couldn't spoil me if you wanted to since I have so little concept of who these characters are or what the show is even about.

Oh you think you're better than us now?

Heh.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, September 16, 2013, 20:09 (3868 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Nah. Apparently I'm missing out on a great show… of some kind… on some channel… (TV still operates on channels does it not?? :p)

Heh.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, September 16, 2013, 20:56 (3868 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Nah. Apparently I'm missing out on a great show… of some kind… on some channel… (TV still operates on channels does it not?? :p)

It's on any video download service such as iTunes or Amazon, Netflix, and of course PirateBay. Only fools watch TV anymore.

Please don't break my flimsy excuses. :p

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, September 16, 2013, 21:09 (3868 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Heh.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, September 18, 2013, 09:55 (3867 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I remember when "I don't watch TV" was a badge of honor. (I've shown a form of this badge myself. I don't have cable now.) Back in "The Love Boat" era, it was an understandable boast. With the maturation of the long-form TV drama, TV has become culturally and artistically significant. Not watching is still a perfectly valid choice, but it's a bit like not going to the Globe in the early 1600s.

Heh.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, September 18, 2013, 12:03 (3867 days ago) @ Kermit

I don't wear it so much as a badge of honor but as a badge of poorness and of rebellion directed at all the mind numbingly bad tv shows out there.

Heh.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, September 18, 2013, 12:29 (3867 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I don't wear it so much as a badge of honor but as a badge of poorness and of rebellion directed at all the mind numbingly bad tv shows out there.

... which are the vast majority to be sure. Here's my pet hate. I pretty much despise 99% of reality TV.

Heh.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, September 17, 2013, 14:44 (3867 days ago) @ Grizzlei

No, he just finds the ignorance blissful. So do I - it encourages a misanthropic-like reputation that I find excessively entertaining. ;)

Heh.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Monday, September 16, 2013, 21:58 (3868 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Heh, I also have no TV subscription, but I come into contact with humans from time to time and I swear all they want to do is spoil Doctor Who, Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones for me. I also try to advertise some of my art online at a consistent rate, so I'm constantly seeing random words in Twitter, Facebook feeds, then realize what they could mean, then go "AAAH!" and hit the 'x' button, and walk away making gibbering noises to try and stop my brain from analyzing what I just read.

I know something is supposed to happen with Doctor Who this year. I'm staying in the dark. It is ridiculously hard if you want to maintain an online presence. WHY IS EVERYONE OBSESSED WITH NOT WANTING TO BE SURPRISED!?!?

Heh.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, September 16, 2013, 22:39 (3868 days ago) @ Leviathan

…but I come into contact with humans from time to time…

Ah ha! There's your problem. Just cut that out and everything will be good. :p

Or sad…. oh so sad…

*Goes to cry in a corner*

I hate this show.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, September 16, 2013, 19:59 (3868 days ago) @ Leviathan

I just want to watch this at my own pace, but nooooo, I have to rush home to watch it as soon as both me and my girlfriend have the time because the entire world and its Internet is bent on trying to ruin every single scene and line of dialogue for me. Goddamnit, Jessie.

Spoiler me, BITCH!

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Tuesday, September 17, 2013, 17:19 (3867 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

Saw this on reddit and loled

[image]

Then I saw this and said, "Do it".

[image]

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, September 18, 2013, 10:03 (3867 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

It might be. The Skyler phone call scene is one of the best things I've ever seen, and it could not have been properly understood by someone who saw it and didn't know the characters.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Wednesday, September 18, 2013, 10:07 (3867 days ago) @ Kermit

It might be. The Skyler phone call scene is one of the best things I've ever seen, and it could not have been properly understood by someone who saw it and didn't know the characters.

Hey, I didn't understand it and I watch the show. My girlfriend had to explain what he was actually doing, hah. This show makes me too emotional - my logic center stops functioning.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, September 18, 2013, 10:29 (3867 days ago) @ Leviathan

Hey, I didn't understand it and I watch the show. My girlfriend had to explain what he was actually doing, hah. This show makes me too emotional - my logic center stops functioning.

Ha! That's what makes it so great. When I first watched it I cursed Walt. Hated his guts. I hated the writers for making him into this monster, especially. It seemed over the top in a bad way, and a bit lazy. Then, after the "return" of Holly, I had an epiphany. Watching the scene again, you see in Skyler's face that she has a realization about what he's doing, and you also see him struggling to get some of the words out.

It's really something.

P.S. I agree with Cody's initial post above.

Relevant

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Wednesday, September 18, 2013, 10:43 (3867 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

Relevant

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, September 18, 2013, 11:03 (3867 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

That wasn't even REMOTELY funny. :(

Relevant

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Wednesday, September 18, 2013, 23:01 (3866 days ago) @ Claude Errera

That wasn't even REMOTELY funny. :(

Neither is Seinfeld. Pretty accurate.

Relevant

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Thursday, September 19, 2013, 05:22 (3866 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Honestly haven't gotten into the show, so I don't know the context of the scene (I imagine it's dramatic), but I thought for what it was (adding laugh track and goofy music over dramatic scene) it worked pretty well.

Relevant

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, September 19, 2013, 08:29 (3866 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

It probably has a different effect if you've seen the show, although the show is often tragic comic. Making something tragic comic funnier probably doesn't work as well as making something that played completely straight to begin with. (Looks like this is this guy's thing.)

I did think Snipe's comment was funny, although I disagree.

Breaking Bad Season 5 Episode 15 *SP*

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, September 23, 2013, 09:44 (3862 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f
edited by Cody Miller, Monday, September 23, 2013, 09:47

Ooooooo I could be right. Walt's ready to give himself up until he sees on the TV that the Blue Meth is still out there.

Which means he knows Jessie is still alive, and that's why he goes back :-p

P.S.

Everybody watching with me freaked out when Todd shot Andrea. Afterwards we watched Dexter. Nobody gave a shit when Deb died.

Dexter *SP* above ^

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 05:13 (3861 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Glad I don't watch Dexter.

Opie Hitler strikes again. I hope his admiration for Walt is his downfall.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread