Expansion 2: Warmind launches May 8 (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, April 11, 2018, 16:14 (2199 days ago)

Bungie just posted an updated Development Roadmap.

Reveal stream on April 24.

[image]

It looks like they're target Season 4 for all the big changes.

The community has been talking a lot about some of the things we’re developing for Season Four. Our goals for these features are to give you more control over how you configure your loadouts in Destiny 2 and give you more reasons to play the game over time. We also want to bring back those exciting moments when you acquire the perfect weapon. To make this happen, updates like Weapon Randomization, Weapon Slot Changes, Gear Collections, and Records will be delivered to all players.

Private matches are coming with Season 3. Crucible maps will be free and available in matchmaking for everyone, you'll need to purchase the DLC in which they were released to access them in private matches. Seems fair.

Expansion 2: Warmind launches May 8

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, April 11, 2018, 16:49 (2199 days ago) @ cheapLEY

[image]

The community has been talking a lot about some of the things we’re developing for Season Four. Our goals for these features are to give you more control over how you configure your loadouts in Destiny 2 and give you more reasons to play the game over time. We also want to bring back those exciting moments when you acquire the perfect weapon. To make this happen, updates like Weapon Randomization, Weapon Slot Changes, Gear Collections, and Records will be delivered to all players.

Great news, though I'm not 100% in love with the weapon randomization.

Private matches are coming with Season 3. Crucible maps will be free and available in matchmaking for everyone, you'll need to purchase the DLC in which they were released to access them in private matches. Seems fair.

Yup. I'm glad that Bungie's finally hopping on the "PvP maps should be free" train. Three benefits:

-It makes sense from a playerbase perspective, since it no longer segments the players and limits maps in rotations.
-They are no longer locked into a "new maps available mostly only during DLC drops" issue that we had with D1. D2 was a tiny bit better about this with two non-DLC maps being released outside of the base game (Shores and Burnout). Hopefully they can reach Respawn's level with a new map or two being released with every new content drop (even if they're D1 remakes).
-And finally, it removes the "minimum viable product" problem that plagues their content releases, where they can coast off of poor content by saying "it's got three Crucible maps!". Sounds a bit cynical, but it really puts pressure on them to add value to the content they make.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, April 11, 2018, 17:24 (2199 days ago) @ Korny

I don't want to get my hopes up too high, as we know how that ends up, but I am hoping we see an overhaul for mods as a replacement for random perk rolls. Just let us get independent perks and build the gun we want (within some set limitations, obviously).

They could even make it sort of grindy if they want (although not too much!). Give us some random shit to collect as building materials for perk mods. Hell, use the materials that enemies already drop when you have a patrol beacon active. That would encourage folks to actually get back out into the patrol spaces, too.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, April 11, 2018, 19:39 (2199 days ago) @ cheapLEY

This post nailed what I would like to see as far as weapon and armor customization. It gives repeatability, customization, and real ownership of your weapons. I would really get behind this kind of system.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, April 11, 2018, 19:06 (2199 days ago) @ Korny

Same. I think this is an example of them listening too much to what an overly-vocal group SAYS they want. I mean, the main argument for it seems to be that it feels good when you get the roll you were looking for. But the only REASON that feels good is because it puts an end to the time you spent grinding away trying to get it. The other argument I hear is that it enables particularly good synergies of perks, which... I only sort of half buy. Yes, you'll eventually see all the possible combinations, so it does help in that sense. But all those combinations were possible anyway, so if we're not seeing them now, Bungie could fix that by just making some new weapons. Or redo some of the ones with crap perks. I would still rather have set perks.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, April 11, 2018, 19:20 (2199 days ago) @ stabbim

That's the thing.

I'm not sure those people understand exactly why they want it, but I do think they want random rolls. The vocal Destiny community wants a reason to play the game for 1000 hours, and if that reason is playing the same strike 500 times to get the god roll strike specific weapon, then damnit, that's what they want to do.

I wouldn't be upset at more gear to chase, more specific loot from specific activities. I wouldn't mind a bit of randomness. I just hope Bungie walks a fine line. I don't want the return of keeping a vault stuffed full of random shit just in case the meta changes.

Bungie is in a really unenviable position here. They do have a fine line to try and walk. They get it from both sides, and as soon as they bring back random rolls and whatever else, they're going to catch shit from a different group of people. I hope they make good decisions that they feel confident with, and not just decisions they think the vocal community wants them to make.

The new weapon slots are a good example. I like the old system better, but they made a decision and tried something new--I can't (or won't) blame them for that, and I won't hold it against them. I'd much rather an imperfect game Bungie feels confident in or wanted to make than the community designed-by-committee game that reddit seems to be pushing for. I want Bungie to feel like they can make drastic, interesting choices and changes and not feel like like they have to bow to reddit and twitter.

I don't necessarily think Bungie is doing that--I suspect that maybe they are just taking community feedback to heart and making smart changes that they want to make. Pre-release interviews and podcasts gave me the impression that there was a lot of debate in the studio about the weapon slot changes, the crucible changes, etc, so maybe this is just a matter of "we tried something new and it didn't work" rather than "we better change it back to get players back."

I dunno. It really seems like they can't win.

Preach!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, April 12, 2018, 09:14 (2198 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I don't want the return of keeping a vault stuffed full of random shit just in case the meta changes.

Can-ah-get-an-ahMEN!

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, April 12, 2018, 11:01 (2198 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, April 11, 2018, 17:23 (2199 days ago) @ cheapLEY

[image]

Creatures of habit we be. Here we go again?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On May 8, with the beginning of Season Three, we’re also launching the second expansion to Destiny 2. It’s called Warmind, and it will send you to new places to meet new heroes and battle new enemies. You’ll earn new loot and master new activities. Today, we’re naming it and dating it. You’ll learn more in a reveal stream on April 24.

Look forward to the atomatons. Speculation, of course. Looks like a good time to study up on that Rise of Iron Grimore Lore.

Rasputin might not be a Warmind anymore, but I'd be surprised to hear nothing of... it.

Destiny 2 Development Roadmap Thoughts

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, April 11, 2018, 21:02 (2199 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

[image]

For the last few months, there has been one major factor that effects the amount of time I dedicate to Destiny 2, should I find myself with time to play. That thing has been shaders.

Oh yes. That's right. Shaders. You have only 50 slots, but there are more then 50 shader styles in the game. Combine that with the One-At-A-Time deletion issue, and suddenly shaders become functionally a cancer, takeing up space where they shouldn't be and is annoying to get rid of.

I see nothing about Shaders on the roadmap, and I have to say I'm rather bummed out about that. Fortunately there is a forth coming increase in the vault space. I hope it will be significant enough to give my postmaster a reprieve to all the slots holding on to shaders I can't move right now, plus everything else I put into the vault.

Then I look at September on the road map...

"Gear Collections"

"Records(?)"

.... hmmmmm.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, April 11, 2018, 21:54 (2199 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Do you have kids? Add deleting your shaders to their list of chores.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, April 12, 2018, 05:04 (2198 days ago) @ Cody Miller

That’s... a very interesting idea...

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, April 12, 2018, 07:54 (2198 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

...if you trust them not to work their way into deleting other things.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, April 12, 2018, 08:12 (2198 days ago) @ Kermit

I think in my case, it would probable work out alright. My little rascal seems to take the idea of "responsibility" very seriously. Every time she feels like she's being trusted with something, she proceeds carefully.

Still, I'd lock everything I care about and hide it in my vault, just to be safe XD

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, April 12, 2018, 08:51 (2198 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I think in my case, it would probable work out alright. My little rascal seems to take the idea of "responsibility" very seriously. Every time she feels like she's being trusted with something, she proceeds carefully.

She's so charming regardless I'd probably forgive her a Gjallarhorn deletion pre-exotic blueprints . :)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, April 12, 2018, 08:53 (2198 days ago) @ Kermit

She's so charming regardless I'd probably forgive her a Gjallarhorn deletion pre-exotic blueprints . :)

Heh... that’s what makes her so dangerous. She’s cute enough to get away with stuff, and she knows it lol

How exciting!

by breitzen @, Kansas, Wednesday, April 11, 2018, 17:34 (2199 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I’m on board for everything here (jury’s still out on “weapon randomization” till we hear more)

Looks like there will be some big changes in September!

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, April 11, 2018, 19:08 (2199 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Personally, exotic weapon changes + masterworks and multi-emote are the changes I'm most interested in right now. I'm happy to see they're not very far off.

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Thursday, April 12, 2018, 08:20 (2198 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Crucible maps will be free and available in matchmaking for everyone, you'll need to purchase the DLC in which they were released to access them in private matches. Seems fair.

Translation: Fortnite is killing us

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, April 12, 2018, 09:13 (2198 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

Crucible maps will be free and available in matchmaking for everyone, you'll need to purchase the DLC in which they were released to access them in private matches. Seems fair.

Or they are just solving the problem of fragmentation.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, April 12, 2018, 11:32 (2198 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Can they also solve the problem of not having specific gametype playlists?

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, April 12, 2018, 13:05 (2198 days ago) @ bluerunner

Can they also solve the problem of not having specific gametype playlists?

Not without unsolving the problem of fragmentation.

by Avateur @, Thursday, April 12, 2018, 19:31 (2198 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Anyone remember Bungie's Halo games? They had plenty of playlists, and they had plenty of population to play them. Not buying this argument, unless the damage done to Destiny from Bungie's own stupid mistakes and slimy changes in the months prior combined with games like Fortnite to gut their population. Shoulda had Crucible/Control/SRL/Rumble/Mayhem/Doubles available at all times from launch. Could be too little, too late at this point.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, April 12, 2018, 19:42 (2198 days ago) @ Avateur

I'm not arguing that they couldn't or shouldn't give us separate playlists. But doing so does cause fragmentation, that's not a debate. Destiny probably still has the population to support it, but Halo did have its share of problems with playlist population, especially when you add in the fragmentation from paid map packs.

by Harmanimus @, Friday, April 13, 2018, 01:01 (2198 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Halo had issues where playlist population counts went up and down depending on the community’s current fancy. Some playlists dying out, and cycling playlists was also not unheard of. (Rumble Armory in Halo 2 was the best playlist Bungie ever made and no one can convince me elsewise) Slayer was about the only always reliable playlist. For most of Halo’s matchmaking days under Bungie there wasn’t nearly the level of competition for time there is in the market now. And I’m not just talking about gaming competition. Binge watching shows is a pass time that wasn’t competition. I know folk who used to play competitive shooters all the time who rarely do now and instead soak up other media and stick to the cooperative side.

So, happy to see the populations will be unified going forward. I think it is more just a rational decision given the current state of the industry and likely not q reaction to any one stimulus.

by Avateur @, Friday, April 13, 2018, 09:10 (2197 days ago) @ Harmanimus

Yet they can't even keep gametypes around full time in a unified playlist? Still no SRL? Wanna know what else kills playlists and players? Burnout or playing the exact same thing over and over again without much variety. Bungie provided a lot of diversity to Halo, even if it was the appearance of duplication. Team Slayer. Social Slayer. Big Team Slayer. Snipers. Skirmish (which was a grabbag of CTF, Assault, Oddball). This has been one of my biggest problems with Destiny going back to D1. Definitely need more variety.

Bungie's seemingly figured out the variety issues with actual gameplay with a lot of their recent updates (though I still think they're missing the mark on how often supers occur, and we need more 6v6 in general beyond just Iron Banner), but this playlist and gametype thing could seriously use some work beyond just the maps.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, April 13, 2018, 12:03 (2197 days ago) @ Avateur

Bungie's seemingly figured out the variety issues with actual gameplay with a lot of their recent updates (though I still think they're missing the mark on how often supers occur, and we need more 6v6 in general beyond just Iron Banner), but this playlist and gametype thing could seriously use some work beyond just the maps.

I strongly disagree with this, at least within our current selection of maps. Since the “go fast” update, I’ve already noticed a sharp increase in the “get killed by roaming super, respawn and instantly get killed again by the same guardian with the same roaming super” phenomena. Like, it happens to me at least every other match. Cramming 4 more players into these tiny maps means more supers, more orbs, and even more supers. They’re already a problem, and I’m not a fan of anything that makes them happen more frequently :-/

by Avateur @, Friday, April 13, 2018, 12:05 (2197 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I haven't experienced that yet. So what you're saying is that Bungie has worked themselves into a bind, or potentially needs some larger maps. That Mayhem playlist with all these "go fast" additions has been a blast, and it'd get even more insane with more players. :P

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, April 13, 2018, 12:22 (2197 days ago) @ Avateur

I haven't experienced that yet. So what you're saying is that Bungie has worked themselves into a bind, or potentially needs some larger maps. That Mayhem playlist with all these "go fast" additions has been a blast, and it'd get even more insane with more players. :P

I actually had loads of fun in the mayhem playlist too. It’s just crazy silly fun. 6v6 mayhem would be hilarious :)

Love the aesthetic!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, April 12, 2018, 09:16 (2198 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Just the other day I was telling the raid group that this might be my favorite room in any raid.

[image]

My favourite room in any raid

by Funkmon @, Friday, April 13, 2018, 00:51 (2198 days ago) @ Kermit

You guys remember in VOG, the room right before the Africa thing on the wall when you're jumping down to the hidden chest? That's a good room.

Love the aesthetic!

by Durandal, Friday, April 13, 2018, 08:22 (2197 days ago) @ Kermit

Yeah that and the disco room were great visuals. Overall the descent into the warmind areas of the raid were very well done and atmospheric.

Exciting, But...

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Thursday, April 12, 2018, 13:43 (2198 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Shouldn't that Crucible thing be the opposite? Free for private matches, DLC purchase for matchmaking? That seems to make more sense to me. Players without friends online can make more of an effort in finding and making friends to play Private Matches on, or they could buy the DLC to have the game find the people for them...or something.

Exciting, But...

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Thursday, April 12, 2018, 13:47 (2198 days ago) @ Morpheus

They probably did it that way because they don't want to split the player-base for matchmaking. I wonder if matchmaking has a smaller population than previously?

Exciting, But...

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, April 12, 2018, 14:11 (2198 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

They probably did it that way because they don't want to split the player-base for matchmaking. I wonder if matchmaking has a smaller population than previously?

Likely, but it’s also the direction more and more games are moving towards. The whole “dlc map pack” thing has caused fragmentation issues since day 1. Bungie used to be able to mitegate that by making the DLC maps free over time, but these days the general move is to make additional maps free for everyone and make extra money through cosmetics and other Microtransactions.

Don't care what it is. I'm going to buy it. It'll be fun.

by Funkmon @, Friday, April 13, 2018, 00:59 (2198 days ago) @ cheapLEY

It's annoying to look at other Destiny forums and just see people taking a dump on the announcement or saying they're not excited.

I just want to let everyone know I'm going to buy it and I fully expect to have fun, even if they make the game worse, because the game is fun.

I'm not really excited about the changes announced. In general, I have not liked changes made to the game, with few exceptions, since 1.0. Random weapons, reworking exotics, a new primary/secondary/heavy system or whatever, I don't even care. I'm sure it'll be fine. I just want more game to play.

Lately it's cool to hate

by Durandal, Friday, April 13, 2018, 08:30 (2197 days ago) @ Funkmon

Bungie has always had people who felt it was cool to hate on their games. Halo was like this, as well as Destiny 1.

The popularity of COD and PBUG/FORTNIGHT really tells me that people want to bread and circuses over all else. Even the D1 crucible complaints were a bit overblown or misdirected, as streamers wanted to nerf things that hurt them but not things that hurt other players (SNIPERS).

I think that Bungeie's main mistake in D2 was taking things away from players that existed in D1, notably the boss rush of the Forge and Oryx's council, sparrow racing, 6 man pvp, all gear, and not iterating enough elsewhere to compensate.

The changes to public events and lost sectors was good, but minor. Bungie needs someone to go around and say, "thats a good idea, how do we take it farther?". They have so many systems in place that just seem to be a good push away from being really great.

Lately it's cool to hate

by Avateur @, Friday, April 13, 2018, 09:19 (2197 days ago) @ Durandal

While I agree with everything you said, I think Bungie is in desperate need of a Taken King right about now, you know? Taken King was so fantastic. Gigantic expansion with so much content and provided practically endless things for me to do and a reason to start caring about what little story D1 had. I think it'd be great to get more story in D2 that's going to start acting like it's going somewhere and going to be something.

my turn to agree

by Durandal, Friday, April 13, 2018, 10:51 (2197 days ago) @ Avateur

TTK really worked to sell Oryx and the Hive as a credible threat, something that should have been done for Ghaul and the Cabal in D2 but wasn't. The Dreadnought was stuffed with secrets and strange areas that felt different and distinct. D2's Mercury feels like it's only the size of one area from the Dreadnought.

I made a post here one time . . .

by Harmanimus @, Friday, April 13, 2018, 14:15 (2197 days ago) @ Durandal

. . . Talking in part, at least, about how under utilized the content spaces were for CoO. I know there are people who complain about retreading areas (to which I say “killjoy”) but the actual space set up for Mercury is well over 7 times the playable patrol space, but it is locked behind Adventures, Missions, and Strikes. The Infinite Forest and all the simulations are a missed opportunity to really build a broad and interesting new patrol space. I would love to see Bungie fix it.

my turn to agree

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, April 13, 2018, 15:03 (2197 days ago) @ Durandal

TTK really worked to sell Oryx and the Hive as a credible threat, something that should have been done for Ghaul and the Cabal in D2 but wasn't. The Dreadnought was stuffed with secrets and strange areas that felt different and distinct. D2's Mercury feels like it's only the size of one area from the Dreadnought.

TTK is a great expansion, and I'm definitely hoping Warmind is a bigger expansion than CoO was, but I'm definitely not expecting TTK levels of content. If this is a HoW sized expansion I'll be plenty happy.

my turn to agree

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, April 13, 2018, 17:51 (2197 days ago) @ Xenos

TTK is a great expansion, and I'm definitely hoping Warmind is a bigger expansion than CoO was, but I'm definitely not expecting TTK levels of content. If this is a HoW sized expansion I'll be plenty happy.

I think that’s a safe and reasonable bet.

my turn to agree

by Harmanimus @, Friday, April 13, 2018, 21:28 (2197 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

In the context of size, the part of the weekly update that piqued my interest most (especially when the question of size comes up, though this isn't me attempting to overbuild expectations) was the following, emphasis mine:

Developers from Bungie will be on the hot seats along with some representatives from our new partners at Vicarious Visions to talk about this new adventure that we created together.

It makes me curious whether their involvement is just the continued support for the PC side of things or if they have expanded to helping with content production.

In that same vein, do we know what High Moon is doing on D2?

Lately it's cool to hate

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, April 13, 2018, 11:22 (2197 days ago) @ Durandal

Bungie has always had people who felt it was cool to hate on their games. Halo was like this, as well as Destiny 1.

The popularity of COD and PBUG/FORTNIGHT really tells me that people want to bread and circuses over all else. Even the D1 crucible complaints were a bit overblown or misdirected, as streamers wanted to nerf things that hurt them but not things that hurt other players (SNIPERS).

I think that Bungeie's main mistake in D2 was taking things away from players that existed in D1, notably the boss rush of the Forge and Oryx's council, sparrow racing, 6 man pvp, all gear, and not iterating enough elsewhere to compensate.

The changes to public events and lost sectors was good, but minor. Bungie needs someone to go around and say, "thats a good idea, how do we take it farther?". They have so many systems in place that just seem to be a good push away from being really great.

There is a bit of a pile-on going on through Reddit and other forums, but I can't give anyone a tough time for feeling skeptical about the new DLC. I love a lot about Destiny 2, but there are definitely some head-scratching problems with it (of the "but... they got this part so right in TTK, how did they get it so wrong in D2?" variety). For me personally, Curse of Osiris was a huge blow. This is just my opinion, but I think CoO is a truly terrible expansion. It's still Destiny, so there's stuff about it that is still fun to play. But as a package of "new content", I think it is poor in almost every way. So I can't help feeling skeptical about Warmind. I'm a bit anxious about it, really. I've already paid for it, so I'm obviously going to play it. But if it is as the same quality level as CoO for me, then my already shaky faith in Bungie as a developer will take another hard hit. I don't know exactly what that means to me, aside from the fact that I certainly won't be pre-ordering anything else from them any time soon. I really do hope it turns out well, because I think D2 still has a lot of potential.

At any rate, I love the art that they've shown. Great aesthetic. Fingers crossed :)

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread