10 Years Ago at Bungie - Halo 3 Legendary Map Pack (Gaming)

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Monday, April 16, 2018, 14:25 (2201 days ago)

April 15th, 2008: 16-year-old me sets the Xbox to start downloading, which would hopefully be complete by the time out family had returned from a weekend trip to Hamilton (download speeds in New Zealand were slowwwwwww).

I have quite a few fond memories from these maps- they were all pretty solid Infection fodder, and the "gloomy" filter made the gametype even more immersive.

As a huge fan of Big Team Battle, Avalanche stands out as my favourite. Using a man-cannon to assault the enemy base in a warthog never got old.

[image][image][image][image][image]

Anyone else have good memories of this set?

Many :)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, April 16, 2018, 15:06 (2201 days ago) @ CyberKN

A couple of my favorites are at the 3 minute and 5:20 marks :)

I miss films SO MUCH!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, April 16, 2018, 15:33 (2201 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Nice recon.

10 Years Ago at Bungie - Halo 3 Legendary Map Pack

by MacGyver10 ⌂, Tennessee, Monday, April 16, 2018, 15:40 (2201 days ago) @ CyberKN

Looks like HBO played Bungie in the Humpday Challenge on the new maps leading up to the release! Pretty cool bit of history there!

- MacGyver10

Loved Avalanche

by Durandal, Monday, April 16, 2018, 18:05 (2200 days ago) @ CyberKN

As a Halo 1 PC player, Avalanche was one of my most favorite maps for CTF. I once killed a flag carrier from across the map by shooting a rocket at the 3rd teleporter and timing his exit almost perfectly. The remake for halo 3 with the gray cannons and Hornet was equally fun.

I miss huge maps like that stuffed full of vehicles and such. It really was designed for big team battles across the whole map. Small engagements would inevitably be confined to the narrow channel between bases.

Loved Avalanche

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, April 16, 2018, 18:10 (2200 days ago) @ Durandal

As a Halo 1 PC player, Avalanche was one of my most favorite maps for CTF. I once killed a flag carrier from across the map by shooting a rocket at the 3rd teleporter and timing his exit almost perfectly. The remake for halo 3 with the gray cannons and Hornet was equally fun.

I miss huge maps like that stuffed full of vehicles and such. It really was designed for big team battles across the whole map. Small engagements would inevitably be confined to the narrow channel between bases.

God Avalanche was soooo good! The teleporter and grav lift shenanigans were pretty out of control.

Here's my bf using a Spartan Laser for what it's meant for

Here he is driving while we pull off an upside down hornet rocket kill

So good :)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, April 17, 2018, 05:07 (2200 days ago) @ kidtsunami

- No text -

Loved Avalanche

by cheapLEY @, Monday, April 16, 2018, 18:23 (2200 days ago) @ Durandal

Avalanche didn't really recapture the magic of Sidewinder for me. I loved Sidewinder, but Avalanche just wasn't the same. Blood Gulch remained classic fun as Coagulation, and Valhalla was a great re-imagining of the map, but Avalanche didn't make the transition as well.

I didn't really like Blackout as a remake of Lockout either, although Guardian was a really great follow-up.

Man, Halo 3 was really freaking good. We should totally set up a Halo 3 night, either with MCC or with backwards compatibility. I'll drop $20 to get Halo 3 in 4K--I've been meaning to buy that and Reach anyway (And I'd love to see them give Reach a One X enhancement).

Loved Avalanche

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, April 17, 2018, 07:53 (2200 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Avalanche didn't really recapture the magic of Sidewinder for me. I loved Sidewinder, but Avalanche just wasn't the same. Blood Gulch remained classic fun as Coagulation, and Valhalla was a great re-imagining of the map, but Avalanche didn't make the transition as well.

I loved both for different reasons. Avalanche almost always yielded some epic game play. I have great love and nostalgia for sniper-only matches on Sidewinder, though. That game-type was probably a peculiarity of my particular group.

I heartily endorse this event or product.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Tuesday, April 17, 2018, 09:11 (2200 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I own both, but based on what I hear backward combat might be the better experience.

How Could You POSSIBLY Have Forgotten!?

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Monday, April 16, 2018, 21:41 (2200 days ago) @ CyberKN

The Darkness!

Man, that trailer was so incredible and hype-worthy. Not to mention the sexy new Legendary emblem.

The Legendary Map Pack was indeed fun. That whole custom map inside the two man-cannon area, the basketball room, etc.

Felt good.

10 Years Ago at Bungie - Halo 3 Legendary Map Pack

by Avateur @, Monday, April 16, 2018, 23:35 (2200 days ago) @ CyberKN

Endless great memories. It's also how I met Disciple online for the first time. I feel like I was one of the only people I knew who immediately got the DLC, and if I'm remembering correctly, Disciple mentioned that he was looking for someone to play with. So I answered the call and got on and played on Avalanche and such with him. Just made those Halo bonds stronger. I also absolutely adore Avalanche and Ghost Town. I still have beefs with the Lockout remake, but it served its purpose pretty well for all kinds of fun and shenanigans.

I could never find the fun in Ghost town, but otherwise good

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Tuesday, April 17, 2018, 09:12 (2200 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread