Weekly Deals: 'Why Even Bother When GOD OF WAR' Edition (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, April 18, 2018, 13:58 (2193 days ago)
edited by Korny, Wednesday, April 18, 2018, 14:46

This week is a tiny bit different. Partially because PSN's deals are a bit confusing at the moment (a number of game prices aren't listed until you're at Checkout, for example), and partially because a number of retailers are scrambling to get physical sales out for whatever reason (Spring cleaning?). Also, God of War comes out on Friday, so you should probably just be buying that instead (and if you're on Xbox, make sure that you grab Mass Effect 3 for $6 (looking at you, BlackT1ger).

Also, if you wanted Hawthorne's bag, the Destiny 2 Collector's Edition (PS4) is on sale at Amazon for a pretty crazy low price of $65, and it comes with the game, expansions passes, and all of the neat stuff here:
[image]
Xbone and PC versions are also available, but at higher price points.

Anyway, on to the deals:

=========================================================================

PS4

Gravity Rush 2 - $20 PSN (Digital) | Gamestop, Best Buy (Physical)
Raga has posted about the game, and what makes it special. I highly recommend playing the first game, but apparently you can enjoy the story well enough without the context of the first game... Well, as much as you can understand the story. Gameplay is fun and unique, with a neat social aspect that should still be around for a few more months.

Tomb Raider - $6 PSN & Rise of the Tomb Raider - $18 PSN
A mainstay in the "highly recommended" deals list, the rebooted Tomb Raider franchise is a good time all around, even if some of us think the first game is the superior experience (and for the low price of $6, it's definitely the better deal). With Shadow of the Tomb Raider on the way, it's a good time to hop on to the franchise.

Destiny 2 + Expansions - $54 PSN
If you have some friends on the fence about D2... You're probably still hesitant to recommend the game. Still, a new content pack is on the way, and the roadmap still has SOME stuff on the way, including changes that will make Exotics interesting to use, which is a nice change of pace.

Horizon Zero Dawn: Complete Edition - $40 Best Buy, Amazon (Physical)
One of the PS4's defining experiences, whether you have the standard console or the Pro, you're getting one of last year's best games, along with all of its bonus content and the Frozen Wilds expansion.

NieR: Automata - $40 Amazon (Physical)
Where HZD was one of the best gameplay experiences of last year for refining many classic gameplay elements, NieR: Automata was one of the best through the scope of its ambitions, and weird, Japanese love of being different (I mean, it's made by the guys who brought us Bayonetta, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, and that Vanquish game that Cody owns a majority stake in or something). Anyway, it's pretty universally praised, and as far as action JRPGs go, it's far more engaging gameplay-wise than something like Final Fantasy (Not that there's anything wrong with FF-MXV.

Shadow of the Colossus - $30 Best Buy, Amazon (Physical)
I'd wait for a better deal, since the game, while gorgeous and masterfully made (and updated), has somewhat limited replay value. It shouldn't be too long before it joins Team Ico's latest, The Last Guardian, at the $20 price point (PSN or Best Buy). But, if you're a collector of game masterpieces, this is the lowest price that the remake's been at yet.

There's plenty more deals over at Best Buy, including Borderlands: Handsome Jack collection for $15 and Nioh for $20. Lots of stuff worth checking out.
Likewise, PSN is having a "Double Discounts" sale, with stuff like Titanfall 2 for $6, Mass Effect: Andromeda for $12, Darksiders collection for $8, Modern Warfare: Remastered for $24 (remember when they said that it would NEVER be sold without the tepid Infinite Warfare?), and best of all... Knack 2 for $20!

=========================================================================

XBOX

Mass Effect 3 - $6 XBLbc
Like we've discussed before, Mass Effect 3's co-op mode stands out as a fun, incredibly robust time. You don't have to know anything about the franchise to hop onto the co-op, but if you absolutely want to (and you should), you can scoop up the whole franchise for about $30 right now on XBLbc. Either way, though, grab this game, play the co-op, and join us in wondering how so few games improved upon the fun formula.

Halo 5 - $20 XBL
Halo 5 was not the shot in the arm that the bedridden Halo franchise needed, but it's still a pretty solid game with the best Forge mode in the franchise's history, a great Arena multiplayer, and there's even some bursts of fun to be had in the Warzone mode. It also has a campaign and Firefight mode, which some people like. Pretty great price for the most complete package from 343i (that works)!

Dead Space - $3.74 XBLbc
Dead Space 2 is free with Games With Gold this month, but to truly appreciate the franchise, you have to start at the beginning. Dead Space remains one of the best games of the last generation, and remains one of the best Horror titles ever. The gameplay aged gracefully, the visuals are still solid (even if it's not one of the backwards compatible games boosted up to GLAWRIOUS 4K), and the story is still one of the more entertaining throughout. One of last-gen's must-owns.

Dead Space 3 - $5 XBLbc
Okay, so EA's meddling really hurt the Dead Space brand with Dead Space 3. This is about the time that EA started falling in love with Online passes and loot boxes, and so the development and sales of the game suffered, causing them to effectively put the franchise up on the shelf (after butchering the story).
So why shouldn't you just write this game off? Because this game did survival horror co-op even better than Resident Evil 5 or 6 could. If you have somebody to play with, this game is some serious fun, and while co-op makes things generally easier, it can still be pretty scary, and challenging (Sammy and I decided to start off on the hardest difficulty initially available ("Impossible", IIRC), and we never looked back until the credits rolled).
If you're not into co-op, though, it's best to leave the franchise at its peak, with Dead Space 2.

Outlast: Bundle of Terror - $6.25 XBL
A solid Horror title, and a really great expansion that makes the main game better. While both experiences are short (if you get reeeeally good at it, a replay of either is only about an hour, but your first playthrough will probably be about three to four hours apiece), the tension is real. It's a great game to play on a date night, especially if you're swapping the controller back and forth (make sure your partner doesn't burn through the batteries in your camera!). I'm not a huge fan of the "you have no weapons, spooooky!" genre, but Outlast is one of the few that I enjoyed. Not for the squeamish, though.

Tomb Raider - $6 XBL & Rise of the Tomb Raider - $18 XBL
See the PS4 listing for my thoughts...

Buy Mass Effect 3, people!

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, April 18, 2018, 19:09 (2193 days ago) @ Korny

Stabbim, Malagate, and I have been playing the co-op mode about once a week or so, and it's been an absolute blast. (I'm looking at you, Cruel! You said you had to buy it again, so now's the time!)

I second this

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, April 18, 2018, 20:29 (2193 days ago) @ cheapLEY

As far as I'm concerned, ME3 is one of the gold standards for co-op multiplayer. Maybe the best I've played, period (possibly rivaled by Deep Rock Galactic, but they'll need more content and customization to be a true equal). I'm willing to drop nearly anything to play it.

Who me?

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Thursday, April 19, 2018, 06:47 (2192 days ago) @ Korny

I own ME3, but I won't have internet for a month or two :( and I haven't had my disc while in the process of moving.

Who me?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, April 19, 2018, 08:42 (2192 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

I own ME3, but I won't have internet for a month or two :( and I haven't had my disc while in the process of moving.

You wouldn't be posting without internet. You can buy it from here:

https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/product/Mass-Effect-3/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024541095d

Worth it not to have to deal with the discs (plural).

Who me?

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Friday, April 20, 2018, 06:05 (2191 days ago) @ Kermit

Access to internet during work isn't the same as access to internet at home sadly.

Just bought ME3... lets do it! :)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, April 19, 2018, 08:44 (2192 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

VANQUISH IS FREE IN MAY

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, April 21, 2018, 23:37 (2190 days ago) @ Korny

VANQUISH IS FREE IN MAY

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, April 22, 2018, 09:31 (2189 days ago) @ Cody Miller

If I ever have the itch to play a middling cover shooter, I’ll download it.

; )

VANQUISH IS FREE IN MAY

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, April 22, 2018, 09:35 (2189 days ago) @ cheapLEY

; )

IT'S NOT A COVER SHOOTER!

VANQUISH IS FREE IN MAY

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, April 22, 2018, 13:06 (2189 days ago) @ Cody Miller

; )

IT'S NOT A COVER SHOOTER!

Why is there a cover mechanic and waist high walls literally everywhere through the game then?

You know I’m just giving you shit right?

Even though Vanquish is a bad game.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread