Early THAB (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, April 18, 2018, 15:28 (2170 days ago)

Endgame/leveling changes, exotic previews, Crucible recap, and a reminder that they're having "influencers" over later. All in the early Update.

Sounds great, but why more grinding?

by Robot Chickens, Wednesday, April 18, 2018, 16:26 (2170 days ago) @ Korny

Okay, this sounds way more cynical than I want. Almost all of the new stuff they're adding sounds awesome and welcome to my ears. The only thing I'm frustrated by is the conversation about leveling too easily. That was the best part of Destiny 2. It was not difficult to play the endgame. Not to sound too much like Cody here, but the way to lengthen the game isn't to make it take longer to get stuff arbitrarily. Rather, you should make it take longer to get stuff by adding more content so that there's more stuff worth getting to get. Maybe it will play out differently, but I hope I can still bring a non fully-leveled character to endgame content and feel like I have a shot.

All that being said, I love what they're doing to exotics and crucible maps. Those are big wins in my book.

I don't like it either, but I get it...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, April 18, 2018, 16:38 (2170 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

Okay, this sounds way more cynical than I want. Almost all of the new stuff they're adding sounds awesome and welcome to my ears. The only thing I'm frustrated by is the conversation about leveling too easily. That was the best part of Destiny 2. It was not difficult to play the endgame. Not to sound too much like Cody here, but the way to lengthen the game isn't to make it take longer to get stuff arbitrarily. Rather, you should make it take longer to get stuff by adding more content so that there's more stuff worth getting to get. Maybe it will play out differently, but I hope I can still bring a non fully-leveled character to endgame content and feel like I have a shot.

Yeah, it's a reactionary change alright. With D1, people complained about the grind and gear/power checks, so they got rid of them for D2.
Inevitably, people now complained that it's too easy to level up, causing you to burn through the content, and so there's no "tangible" incentive to play the hardest content, and Bungie can't crank out content at anything remotely resembling a decent pace in order to keep up with demand.

Bungie can't win. So what worked better for them (in terms of population and content consumption) was the longer, and more painful grind of D1, so they want to make sure they can stretch Warmind out as long as possible, as well as making new players take longer to consume the existing content.
It's smart from a business perspective, even if it just kind of screws over the people who enjoyed not having to play as much to be at the same level as the more dedicated players (which, again, is something that I've discussed as an inevitable result of the complaints from the top percent).

The idea is to make the droughts feel shorter, even if they aren't. It's a move against the players, but it's the best they can do with the content that we already have, and it buys them more time after Warmind launches.

So it goes.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, April 18, 2018, 18:54 (2170 days ago) @ Robot Chickens
edited by cheapLEY, Wednesday, April 18, 2018, 18:58

I don't care how long it takes, as long as it feels natural and fun, with a bunch of unique stuff to do along the way.

They could make getting to the raid take two or three times as long for all I care (I'd probably love it!), so long as it's unique activities getting me there, and not grinding out Public Events or Strikes for drops.

They can also add as much grinding as they want after the Raid, if that's what they want. Set Nightfalls 50 Power Levels above the raid, along with the hard mode raid, I don't really care. I just don't want a return to finishing the story and then having to settle in for another dozen hours of running strikes to get raid ready.

They need to keep the baseline raids easily accessible, and make the raid the beginning of the end game, not the endgame itself.

I think what they've outlined sounds good (because, really, who cares about hitting the cap?), but it depends on where the raid is set. I'd hope for 340ish, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it at 370, and that would be a huge bummer.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, April 19, 2018, 07:57 (2170 days ago) @ cheapLEY

They need to keep the baseline raids easily accessible, and make the raid the beginning of the end game, not the endgame itself.

The baseline raids aren't accessible if no one in your group wants to play at that level.

Raiding is my favorite activity by far. Robot Chicken is right. Being able to level up quickly was the best thing about D2 because it let me play the content I wanted to play.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, April 19, 2018, 08:37 (2170 days ago) @ Kermit

The baseline raids aren't accessible if no one in your group wants to play at that level.

I don’t think that’s how it works, though. The drops are based on your level, not the level of the raid. Or at least that’s how it’s worjed so far in D2. You always get better LL stuff from the raid, unless your really close to the cap. If they put hard mode raid at 370 for the folks that want to climb that last 15 power levels, or even at 380 and just for prestige gear, I don’t think there would be a huge issue there.

Raiding is my favorite activity by far. Robot Chicken is right. Being able to level up quickly was the best thing about D2 because it let me play the content I wanted to play.

I’m with you! That’s why I hope the raid is towards the beginning of that hard cap progression, so it can be used as a source for climbing that progression, and not an end goal for it.

All I want is to hit past the rec'd raid power @ raid launch

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, April 18, 2018, 20:45 (2170 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

- No text -

The Rats are... Hungry

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, April 18, 2018, 20:46 (2170 days ago) @ Korny

I must have watched this 15 times already. Sheesh, the sheer ferocity. Bubonic plague simulator over here. It's a bummer they didn't go after the set of colossusesesesesss too in this clip.

The Rats are... Hungry

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, April 19, 2018, 06:41 (2170 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Who wants to run a 6 pack of rats with me in the next Iron Banner?

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread