Flight of the Valkyrie (Off-Topic)

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Monday, April 30, 2018, 10:32 (2159 days ago)

Hey strangers! It's ME, that crazy guy who bugged out of games to fly airplanes! :P

I recently tackled a rather large project ... I set out to build a scale model XB-70 Valkyrie, powered by SIX electric ducted fans and built mainly out of foamboard. I won't bore you with the gory build details (there's a build thread here if you want: http://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/xb-70-valkyrie-ft-style.37200/ ), I'll jump right to the meat...

IT FLEW!!

...then it crashed...but IT FLEW!

I talk a little about what caused the crash in the video, but one thing I didn't mention was the fact that I was travelling DOWNWIND at the time - in addition to being VERY low - which exacerbated the very quick stall entry. As soon as I turned downwind at the speed I was going, there really was no avoiding what happened. The only way this possibly could have gone better is if I had kept it at full throttle and continued to build speed. This bird wants SPEEEED!!!

Don't be sad! This was a fantastically fun project and as far as I'm concerned, a great success! More of the whole story will be told in due time; there is much to learn, and sometimes crashing is the teacher. It was a great day!

Thanks for letting me poke my head back in for a bit of off-topic fun. I miss playing with you all, but life directions are still oriented differently for a while. When I do pick up a controller again, you'll be the first to know. ;)

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Flight of the Valkyrie

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, April 30, 2018, 10:52 (2159 days ago) @ Mid7night

I'd love to see a film of the flight.

Don't know if maybe that forum you linked to is private, but the link doesn't work for me.

Flight of the Valkyrie

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Monday, April 30, 2018, 11:03 (2159 days ago) @ Kermit

Don't know if maybe that forum you linked to is private, but the link doesn't work for me.

Link was bad, here's a fixed version

Flight of the Valkyrie

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Monday, April 30, 2018, 11:50 (2159 days ago) @ CyberKN

Sorry about the bad link. Thanks for fixing it.

The video in the first post still works though, right?

Flight of the Valkyrie

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, April 30, 2018, 12:01 (2159 days ago) @ Mid7night

Sorry about the bad link. Thanks for fixing it.

The video in the first post still works though, right?

Yep, I just had scrolled past it. Thanks for posting! Very cool.

Flight of the Valkyrie

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, April 30, 2018, 12:46 (2159 days ago) @ Mid7night

Pretty cool. Do get that build thread working, I’d love to know more about the plane.

Flight of the Valkyrie

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Monday, April 30, 2018, 12:57 (2159 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Pretty cool. Do get that build thread working, I’d love to know more about the plane.

Cyber posted a fixed link: http://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/xb-70-valkyrie-ft-style.37200/

Could someone with power fix the link in my post?

Flight of the Valkyrie

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Monday, April 30, 2018, 13:28 (2159 days ago) @ Mid7night

Cyber posted a fixed link: http://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/xb-70-valkyrie-ft-style.37200/

Could someone with power fix the link in my post?

Done.

DISTRACTIONS! re: Flight of the Valkyrie

by Dame117 @, Missouri, Monday, April 30, 2018, 16:37 (2159 days ago) @ Mid7night

Okay so I had stuff I intended to do as soon as I got home this evening. Important stuff even.
but now.. I am getting distracted with your builds and all your videos.. thanks alot!
:)

That said. This is very cool. Can't wait to see the next flight (after repairs / rebuild).
I also intend to put together a quick little Valkyrie chuck glider based off your plan.
fun stuff

Thank you for sharing

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread