Music of the Spheres: Officially Released (Destiny)

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Friday, June 01, 2018, 12:41 (2154 days ago)

So, uh, Bungie officially released Music of the Spheres today. All you have to do is… preorder a $100 $99 The Music of Destiny, Volume 1 vinyl box set. With the pre-order, you get MP3, Apple Lossless, and FLAC versions of the entire thing.

[image]

[image]

I don't own a record player, but the lossless audio is glorious. Also, I'm a little miffed that you can't get MotS by itself in digital form. Maybe at a later date?

Music of the Spheres: Officially Released

by Harmanimus @, Friday, June 01, 2018, 12:59 (2154 days ago) @ Beorn

Well there goes that money.

by cheapLEY @, Friday, June 01, 2018, 13:01 (2154 days ago) @ Harmanimus

Well there goes that money.

No joke!

$100 and not even an exclusive emblem? C’mon Bungo! :-P

by OS_Epsilon, Friday, June 01, 2018, 13:07 (2154 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Hey man, one of those Vinyls in that quality is like 35 bucks. 3 for 100 and a digital download is quite solid IMO.

Not to mention its for a good cause anyway.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, June 01, 2018, 13:58 (2153 days ago) @ OS_Epsilon

Hey man, one of those Vinyls in that quality is like 35 bucks. 3 for 100 and a digital download is quite solid IMO.

I can accept that. What about the people who don't own record players? Granted, they are having a bit of a resurgence, but not enough to justify this being the only distribution method. I sure hope they are planning a wider release once these sell out and the charity money has all gotten where it needs to go.

by EffortlessFury @, Friday, June 01, 2018, 13:59 (2153 days ago) @ stabbim

I can accept that. What about the people who don't own record players? Granted, they are having a bit of a resurgence, but not enough to justify this being the only distribution method. I sure hope they are planning a wider release once these sell out and the charity money has all gotten where it needs to go.

Collector item or reselling? It comes with the digital copies and they're individually numbered...so it's not like there's an abundance of them.

by Avateur @, Friday, June 01, 2018, 13:03 (2154 days ago) @ Beorn
edited by Avateur, Friday, June 01, 2018, 13:14

I won't be buying that. They should release it as a stand alone as well. That or I'm just fine with the internet doing its thing by making sure that anyone who wants it can get it from the original release in December without paying Bungie. $100. Give me a break.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, June 01, 2018, 13:07 (2154 days ago) @ Avateur

There’s a stand-alone version. It’s just very very rare!

[image]

Your label is off-center

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Friday, June 01, 2018, 13:36 (2153 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Your label is off-center

by OS_Epsilon, Friday, June 01, 2018, 13:38 (2153 days ago) @ Beorn

It's not his. That's one of the 100 CDs Marty made in Jan 2013.

Oh, I know…

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Friday, June 01, 2018, 13:57 (2153 days ago) @ OS_Epsilon

It's not his. That's one of the 100 CDs Marty made in Jan 2013.

It's just fun to jab at Cody whenever we can. ;)

by EffortlessFury @, Friday, June 01, 2018, 13:17 (2154 days ago) @ Avateur

I won't be buying that. They should release it as a stand alone as well. That or I'm just fine with the internet doing its thing by making sure that anyone who wants it can get it from the original release in December without paying Bungie. $100. Give me a break.

On the flip side, profits go to charity?

by OS_Epsilon, Friday, June 01, 2018, 13:19 (2153 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

as i said, Vinyls are not cheap to make. esp not at that quality. 100 for all that you get is a steal imo.

by Avateur @, Friday, June 01, 2018, 14:23 (2153 days ago) @ OS_Epsilon

I'm not contesting the value of what's being obtained here. I'm contesting the notion that this is the only "legit" way to get Music of the Spheres, which is for $100 (and vinyl). No thanks. Also, proceeds of every stand-alone Music of the Spheres sale could go to charity if they really wanted it to. Hopefully they have something else planned.

by OS_Epsilon, Friday, June 01, 2018, 14:58 (2153 days ago) @ Avateur

Whilst I do not know for certain that this is it, I think it is.

by Avateur @, Friday, June 01, 2018, 17:44 (2153 days ago) @ OS_Epsilon

I still want to thank you again for everything you did. It's been super appreciated!

<3

by OS_Epsilon, Friday, June 01, 2018, 18:34 (2153 days ago) @ Avateur

Hey man, like I said on twitter, someone had to do it. I was just the person who had the time first. I would like to say a few things though.

Christmas Day 2017 was the best day of my life. I spent the entire day watching my thread of my life's work climb up to like page 2 of r/ALL and reading thousands of comments about how much people loved it. I will never forget that day.

The friendships I've made with Marty and the composers are also something I could never forget. I do own quite a few things I think people will enjoy. Maybe someday we'll see a release of the video games live score for The Union, so aspiring composers can study it. I doubt I'd do that myself for many, many years however.

But it means a lot to me that I was able to help so many people hear this music. When I started I was about 15 and was just getting to a place to where I couldn't go to school. The things bullies said to me there really brought me down for a very long time, I'm still getting over it. But it's people like you, messages like that, that remind me if only for a moment that I'm more than what they said I was. I'm not some "autistic fuck". I actually AM autistic and i can say with 100% confidence I wouldn't have succeeded without that autism. This project was 99% driven by OCD and obsession. If my brain didn't work like this, nothing would have happened.

Thank you. <3

Hopefully $100 is just the Collector's Edition Price

by Robot Chickens, Friday, June 01, 2018, 13:22 (2153 days ago) @ Avateur

Hoping there are other unannounced editions...

Hopefully $100 is just the Collector's Edition Price

by OS_Epsilon, Friday, June 01, 2018, 13:38 (2153 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

I don't think there are.

You're pretty confident on that?

by Funkmon @, Sunday, June 03, 2018, 15:07 (2151 days ago) @ OS_Epsilon

Thanks for the info! :D

Yes.

by OS_Epsilon, Sunday, June 03, 2018, 18:09 (2151 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

As somebody who's worked stupidly hard for this day

by OS_Epsilon, Friday, June 01, 2018, 13:06 (2154 days ago) @ Beorn

It's good to be here. 3 years ago when I started many people had no idea what MOTS was and a release was stuff of myth and legend; a suite of music by the Halo guys and Sir Paul McCartney. Now, after years of work, it's out in the wild officially.

I'm happy to announce that myself and "The Spheres Team" have some MotS content planned. We're doing the entire original plan, with the only thing gone being sheet music. I'm a little sad people have to wait to read the poetry, but not surprised. Expect the three way collaboration between the people who leaked it, Planet Destiny, and My name is Byf soon(ish)! Also expect a little something special much later down the line. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnKFxFxDCRs

As somebody who's worked stupidly hard for this day

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, June 03, 2018, 09:03 (2152 days ago) @ OS_Epsilon

That looks really cool. Thanks for posting. I love Destiny the game, but one way I'd characterize my disappointment with it is that it fails to live up to the beauty and mystery evoked by MotS.

by Coaxkez, Friday, June 01, 2018, 19:42 (2153 days ago) @ Beorn
edited by Coaxkez, Friday, June 01, 2018, 19:46

This is a nice gesture. Bungie didn't have to do this, and I appreciate their decision to acknowledge the demand for this album.

However...

I really don't want to be a Negative Nancy about this, but why does this release have to take the form of a limited-availability product, and why is it only available as part of a $100 bundle with other stuff that customers might not necessarily want? (Particularly given that some of it is previously-released content.) I understand that the vinyl release is expensive and that demand for something like that is hard to gauge, so the limited availability of that aspect doesn't bother me. However, I really don't understand why there can't be a digital download of the album for a more affordable price that normal people can buy and enjoy.

I've already placed my order for this, but not everyone has $100 of disposable income to blow on one album... and let's be honest, anyone who is buying this is buying it for Music of the Spheres, not for "the collection" or whatever. The Destiny OST is previously-released content.

I already own all prior digital releases, so yeah.

by Harmanimus @, Saturday, June 02, 2018, 00:27 (2153 days ago) @ Coaxkez

- No text -

Jesus H Christ. $100?!

by Funkmon @, Friday, June 01, 2018, 22:13 (2153 days ago) @ Beorn

- No text -

It's 6 lps on 180 gram vinyl + all for charity

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Saturday, June 02, 2018, 14:38 (2152 days ago) @ Funkmon

The price for such a package is more than reasonable but I agree, there ought to be a digital-only purchase option.

It's 6 lps on 180 gram vinyl + all for charity

by Funkmon @, Saturday, June 02, 2018, 15:29 (2152 days ago) @ Stephen Laughlin

Charity is dumb.

I'll pay $60 for 6 LP records. That's it.

We REALLY Need You Back On D1. XD

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Saturday, June 02, 2018, 15:42 (2152 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread