Bungie announces new partnership. What’s it mean? (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Friday, June 01, 2018, 14:58 (2154 days ago)

https://www.bungie.net/en/News/Article/46925

At Bungie, our purpose is to build worlds that inspire friendship. For over twenty-five years, through Marathon, Myth, Oni, Halo, and Destiny, we’ve created fantastic places where players have gathered to become heroes. Now, our long-term goal is to become an entertainment company that sustains many worlds simultaneously – Destiny and new worlds to come.

Today, we’re excited to announce that we’ve entered into a new partnership with NetEase to help us explore new directions. With their industry expertise, they’ll empower us to build new worlds and invite players, new and old, to join us there. They’ll help us support separate teams inside Bungie to bring our newest ambitions to life.

If you’re a player of Destiny, this news won’t impact the hobby you’ve come to know. Destiny is an experience that will grow for many years to come. We’ll continue to work with our partners at Activision to foster this global community and turn new players from all over the world into Guardians. Our commitment to that world is not diminished by this announcement. We have exciting plans for the future of the Destiny franchise, and you’ll learn more about the next steps we’ll take together in the weeks to come.

For now, we’re grateful for the opportunity to welcome NetEase to the family. We have a bold vision to explore with them, but that is all a conversation for another time.

No idea what NetEase is. I’ll google when I have some time. It’s an interesting, if super vague, announcement.

Bungie announces new partnership. What’s it mean?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, June 01, 2018, 15:04 (2154 days ago) @ cheapLEY

If I had to guess from their relationship with Blizzard I'm guessing they are going to run Destiny 2's online services in China.

Right on the money

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, June 01, 2018, 15:09 (2154 days ago) @ Xenos

If I had to guess from their relationship with Blizzard I'm guessing they are going to run Destiny 2's online services in China.

Wikipedia Quote:

NetEase, Inc. is a Chinese Internet technology company providing online services centered on content, community, communications and commerce. Founded in 1997 by Lebunto, the company was a key pioneer in the development of Internet services for China.

This is more for shareholders. Money first, consequences later.

Right on the money

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, June 01, 2018, 15:15 (2154 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Wikipedia Quote:

NetEase, Inc. is a Chinese Internet technology company providing online services centered on content, community, communications and commerce. Founded in 1997 by Lebunto, the company was a key pioneer in the development of Internet services for China.

This is more for shareholders. Money first, consequences later.

I'm not really sure what consequences you're worried about, as they said themselves, this will have no bearing on us. They already run the online services for almost every online Blizzard game out in China and nobody knew about it.

It may have bearing

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, June 01, 2018, 16:38 (2154 days ago) @ Xenos
edited by Cody Miller, Friday, June 01, 2018, 16:54

Jason Shrier mentioned that he heard that a parting between Bungie and Activision may come in the future. He says that Activision may be looking to buy out the Destiny IP and give it to other studios. Seems like this partnership is in line with that, given they are securing the way forward without Activision.

But that is just rumor right now. I don’t know about you guys, but I would not play a non Bungie Destiny.

It may have bearing

by cheapLEY @, Friday, June 01, 2018, 17:24 (2154 days ago) @ Cody Miller

But that is just rumor right now. I don’t know about you guys, but I would not play a non Bungie Destiny.

I would, depending on the merits of the game. I wouldn't write it off completely just because it's not Bungie. Just like I don't write off Halo.

I'm not sure many other developers could put out such an obviously flawed game as Destiny is and still have it be good enough to keep me invested like I am now, though.

by Harmanimus @, Friday, June 01, 2018, 15:26 (2154 days ago) @ Xenos

Based on the wording if the announcement? I doubt that is all this is. Three times they use “new” to reference things outside of Destiny (twice as “new worlds”) one of which is explicitly not Destiny related. With the discussion on continuing with Activision I would expect this is something not Destiny related.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, June 01, 2018, 15:32 (2154 days ago) @ Harmanimus

Yeah I actually did some more searching after I posted that and found a quote from the CEO of NetEase and they straight up say they are working on a new IP and that NetEase invested $100 million dollars in Bungie as well.

NetEase chief executive officer William Ding explained that it is making this investment because he believes that Bungie can create a leap forward in creative and innovative gameplay.

“We have been big fans of the worlds Bungie has created and are drawn to Bungie’s passion and creativity in online games development,” said Ding. “Bungie and NetEase share the same vision and ambition to deliver incredible experiences to millions of players all around the globe. We are excited to partner with Bungie as they transform from a single franchise development team into a global, multi-franchise entertainment studio.”

NetEase’s also got a minority acquisition in Bungie too.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, June 01, 2018, 15:39 (2154 days ago) @ Xenos

Thanks

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, June 01, 2018, 15:40 (2154 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

Bungie planning to use investment to self-publish

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, June 01, 2018, 15:44 (2154 days ago) @ cheapLEY

by cheapLEY @, Friday, June 01, 2018, 15:46 (2154 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Now, our long-term goal is to become an entertainment company that sustains many worlds simultaneously

They can barely support Destiny, even as big as they are. Supporting something else alongside Destiny seems basically impossible at this point.

I’m equal parts very worried and excited for whatever’s next. Will we see Bungie move to a Ubisoft model where “developed by Bungie” isn’t actually a very specific descriptor?

by Harmanimus @, Friday, June 01, 2018, 15:50 (2154 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Honestly, with the size that Bungie is at and Warmind basically being at least notably out-of-house developed, it would surprise me none if they have had a substantial studio investment outside of Destiny development already. I guess we’ll never know. Because Cody will have to push out the release of his book again.

Sudden craving to learn the internal codename of the project

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Friday, June 01, 2018, 17:43 (2154 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

This could be the best news we've had in years

by Avateur @, Friday, June 01, 2018, 17:55 (2154 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I've been saying for a while now that I'm so ready for Bungie to move on from Destiny. If this helps with that, great. I love Bungie. Bungie's not perfect and sometimes drives me absolutely insane with what they do (or don't do). I love Marathon, I love Oni, I love (their) Halo. I love Destiny's gameplay, but there's nothing else really there beyond Crucible and Raiding (to me). They're allowed to take risks and mess up every now and then. I hope they move away from shady-Bungie and go in a different, better direction with whatever comes next. I'm excited, and I have no problem patiently waiting for their next big thing.

This is it, then.

by Coaxkez, Friday, June 01, 2018, 19:35 (2153 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by Coaxkez, Friday, June 01, 2018, 19:43

I mean, right? This feels like they're priming us for an eventual announcement that they will be ending their involvement with Destiny and moving on to new things. There's very few other ways to read this, IMO. They can barely support Destiny as it is right now. What will the future of this series look like with their attention split between different projects?

It's a bittersweet moment for me. On the one hand, Bungie is a talented studio filled with creative ideas, and I have always felt that their decision to limit themselves to working on one franchise at a time prevents them from exploring some of those ideas. I want to see a version of Bungie that just makes cool shit and doesn't worry so much about building massive multi-million dollar franchises out of it. I also feel that, as much as I have enjoyed my time with Destiny, I have to acknowledge that Bungie seems to have major difficulties with keeping the game fresh and supported with regular content updates. The addition of partner studios like High Moon Studios and Vicarious Visions has helped to a degree, but it still feels like the game just isn't getting content drops with the frequency that its design demands.

On the other hand, I will be sad to see Bungie abandon this series with so much of its potential left untapped. Now, make no mistake: This is definitely not the last we will see of this franchise. Bungie still has a contract with Activision that must be honored, which means one of two things will happen. Either Bungie will fulfill the terms of the contract and deliver two more games (unlikely, in my opinion, although a Bungie-developed D3 is possible), or Bungie will sell the IP to Activision and future games in the series will be developed by studios like High Moon Studios and Vicarious Visions. I'm not sure how I feel about that. Vicarious Visions, at the very least, has shown with Warmind that they have the ability to create a fun experience within the world created by Bungie, but I do not know if they have the ability to scale that up to a full game, or whether they can maintain the creative direction that Bungie has taken with the series.

Time will tell. I do feel strongly that this signals the beginning of the end. I get the same vibe from this announcement that I got when Bungie announced their split with Microsoft in 2007.

EDIT: I missed an opportunity to title this post "This is it, baby. Hold me." Damn it!

This is it, then.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, June 01, 2018, 19:53 (2153 days ago) @ Coaxkez

All of Bungie's past efforts to be a multi game studio have not really worked out. Bungie West had to roll into the Halo team, and other games (Phoenix, Gypsum, Monster Hunter, etc) were abandoned because Halo required all hands on deck (and Phoenix just wasn't that fun apparently).

If three studios can barely make one game, it's tough to see how Bungie can do 2+ things at once. I mean geez. Even Aerospace never panned out.

This is it, then.

by Coaxkez, Friday, June 01, 2018, 20:02 (2153 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I think the solution (or at least a solution) is for Bungie to develop smaller-scale projects. That ties back into what I was saying about wanting to see a version of Bungie that just makes cool shit and doesn't worry about franchising it. I don't know if Bungie's talents dispose them to working well as a AAA game studio. I think their talents might actually dispose them to working better as a developer of small projects. The ability to experiment, iterate, and rescope does not scale up in game development. As budgets and team sizes increase, developers are put under exponentially higher pressure to deliver a safe, predictable product.

This is it, then.

by cheapLEY @, Friday, June 01, 2018, 19:57 (2153 days ago) @ Coaxkez

I mean, what did you expect? That they were going to make Destiny forever? I always assumed they'd be done after Destiny 3 and the leaked contract was up.

This is it, then.

by Coaxkez, Friday, June 01, 2018, 20:04 (2153 days ago) @ cheapLEY

It's not so much about expectations for the longevity of the series as it is about the untapped potential of the concept. To me, Destiny still feels like it hasn't been fully defined yet.

This is it, then.

by cheapLEY @, Friday, June 01, 2018, 20:09 (2153 days ago) @ Coaxkez

It's not so much about expectations for the longevity of the series as it is about the untapped potential of the concept. To me, Destiny still feels like it hasn't been fully defined yet.

You're not wrong. But we still have one more game. And, as Cody said, I doubt that will be the last we see of Destiny.

At this point, I would also be surprised if Bungie's next game wasn't similar. I suspect it will also be an always-connected shared-world something. I don't see them abandoning that concept now.

This is it, then.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Wednesday, June 06, 2018, 06:08 (2149 days ago) @ cheapLEY

You're not wrong. But we still have one more game. And, as Cody said, I doubt that will be the last we see of Destiny.

One more game isn't going to solve the things that are inherently wrong with the way Destiny has been handled from the beginning. We're not suddenly going to get a coherent narrative.

I think the most significant chance there is for things to be wrapped up neatly and with any gravitas is in a third installment; but they've left more work to be done than I think is reasonable for us to expect to see. Think about what happened to Halo canon after Halo 3. I doubt it's going to be pretty; Bungie have already severely retconned their own lore into the ground and we're only on the second game. And think about how often you hear the same complaint about Destiny: People have a hard time caring about events because most characters are little more than cardboard cutouts.

At this point, I would also be surprised if Bungie's next game wasn't similar. I suspect it will also be an always-connected shared-world something. I don't see them abandoning that concept now.

I think their infrastructure and internal processes have probably been shored up to the point that this format is kind of what they're geared for now. With the end-of-all-things aspect of the mythos in play, I'd say the Destiny IP could essentially be played out forever, as long as nobody cares too much about the story making any sense. They can always hand the reins over to Activision.

I certainly hope that if they start developing other games in parallel; they're games that are entirely different from what they've been doing. Science-fantasy is so broad it's hard for me to conceive of Bungie doing anything like what I've come to expect from them and it not seeming like Destiny.

Finally, the Pimps at Sea game we have all been waiting for.

by Funkmon @, Friday, June 01, 2018, 22:11 (2153 days ago) @ Coaxkez

And you know what? It's a prime time to do it. It can be one of those business sims. You set up brothels in different locations on the Spanish Main and manage them to make the most money possible.

If it is a mobile game, it can be one of those "wait 12 hours to collect pieces of 8" games.

NetEase : Reddit Links.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, June 02, 2018, 13:08 (2153 days ago) @ cheapLEY

In case, for some reason, we want to look back at what a collective of Destiny players on Reddit thought of this announcement.

"Our Newest Partnership"

"Bungie CEO says the new partnership with NetEase is so they can publish their own games and not rely on Activision"

NetEase : Reddit Links.

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, June 02, 2018, 14:13 (2153 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

In case, for some reason, we want to look back at what a collective of Destiny players on Reddit thought of this announcement.

Hard pass.

^

by Funkmon @, Saturday, June 02, 2018, 14:17 (2153 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

As expected.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, June 02, 2018, 16:48 (2153 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

Oh. So that's why.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Sunday, June 03, 2018, 07:09 (2152 days ago) @ cheapLEY

This makes Noseworthy's tweet about showing how committed they are to Destiny at E3 make more sense.

Twitter is a weird form of information disbursement, where because I try to keep my follow list trim enough to be a completionist, I often just see people's reactions to things without the actual news or context. It's like living in a world of echos and reflected light.

Oh. So that's why.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, June 03, 2018, 07:22 (2152 days ago) @ Vortech

Yeah. Yesterday, a few different Bungie people on Twitter made various Destiny related puns that were apparently rejections of some sort of made up E3 rumor. But I never saw the rumor. It really can be hard to follow sometimes...

My take on the Netease thing.

by FyreWulff, Tuesday, June 05, 2018, 15:11 (2150 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by FyreWulff, Tuesday, June 05, 2018, 15:17

I think people are probably getting ahead of themselves, for multiple reasons, so I'll "respond" to each point I generally see people making:

This means Bungie is abandoning Destiny...

No, not really. We have to remember they've always said Destiny had a roughly 10 year plan around it. Depending on where you're counting from, we're either halfway through that plan or significantly through it, but either way, a lot of time has passed. This is about the time they'd start spinning up other projects. Remember, we had to wait FOUR years between Reach and Destiny for a new Bungie game.. they practically sat out the span of a regular console generation. Keep in mind how much they've supported their previous games when contractually able to - I'm not concerned.

They can barely keep up with content for Destiny! They're gonna add another game?!?!

Okay, I'll stay away from the opinion part but.. this is what all developers do. You spin up the next project while the current one is underway. This is how you keep people employed and things rolling. If Bungie waited until the last Destiny 3/4/5 content to even start working on another project, they'd have to lay off 90% of their workforce. You guys want games to have 3 year dev cycles? Alright, Bungie is going to need to start 4 years before (due to previs, pitch, etc) the game's release to get it out in time so there's no gap.

Know what's 4 years from now?

Know what year Destiny will be in then?

Year 8 if you count from D1's release. Year 12 if you're counting from Reach. Split the difference.. Destiny will be at 10 years of active development. Just like the plan. lol.

But the contract..

The best part of a new Bungie IP is we won't have people going "BUT THE CONTRACT" for the next one for another 10 years. I really, REALLY hate that the contract was made public, because people just use it to short circuit discussion about the game constantly, and don't understand contracts change, get changed, or even misinterpreted what was in the contract itself. It's been one of the worst things for casual community discussion.

Why talk about it now?

Like I said above - if they want to transition people to new projects and work, the spin up has to start now. They have to be able to publically talk about it existing, so they can hire for it more easily. I would not expect to hear anything substantial about this project until 2020 at minimum, because I'm assuming they're in pitch phase if they're showing potential partners like NetEase and are signing things just now - they wouldn't have had the spare manpower or money to start truly spinning anything substantial up - so I'll just call it the Bungie 202X Project.

+1

by breitzen @, Kansas, Wednesday, June 06, 2018, 06:14 (2149 days ago) @ FyreWulff

- No text -

Great post.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, June 06, 2018, 09:50 (2149 days ago) @ FyreWulff

It's weird, but I haven't thought beyond Destiny. I kind of thought some major folks would want to retire and Destiny would be their last hurrah.

I guess I'll give whatever it is to come a shot as long as I'm able.

On Retiring

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, June 06, 2018, 11:03 (2149 days ago) @ Kermit

It's interesting. I haven't really thought past Destiny and one of my thoughts has been to somewhat retire... from so closely following video games. I'm just not sure there will ever be a series quite like this again that I enjoy so much on so many levels.

That, and I'm not sure I want to keep engaging in the "This one game is meant to be your hobby" style of gaming. As much as I enjoy Destiny, it's games like the recent God of War or Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice that I can enjoy the heck of and then put aside that I think are untimely more impactful and meaningful.

On Retiring

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, June 06, 2018, 11:53 (2149 days ago) @ Ragashingo

It's interesting. I haven't really thought past Destiny and one of my thoughts has been to somewhat retire... from so closely following video games. I'm just not sure there will ever be a series quite like this again that I enjoy so much on so many levels.

That, and I'm not sure I want to keep engaging in the "This one game is meant to be your hobby" style of gaming. As much as I enjoy Destiny, it's games like the recent God of War or Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice that I can enjoy the heck of and then put aside that I think are untimely more impactful and meaningful.

I'm totally with you and have been thinking the same thing. Other studios have surpassed Bungie's best when it comes to narrative, which is what I care most about. Destiny has been great, but not what I imagined before release.

I'm about to out myself as a filthy casual--I've been hanging around bungie.org sites for years and definitely was a fan, but gaming didn't become my primary hobby until about 10 years ago, when it provided an escape for some stuff I was going through.

I don't imagine my mix of interests will stay the same forever, and the only thing that bothers me about that change is the possible social impact. Relationships keep me engaged more than the game at this point. That's not a crack on the game.

On Retiring

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, June 06, 2018, 23:37 (2148 days ago) @ Kermit

Relationships keep me engaged more than the game at this point. That's not a crack on the game.

Wasn't that Bungie's goal all along with Destiny?

Great post.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, June 06, 2018, 23:34 (2148 days ago) @ Kermit

It's weird, but I haven't thought beyond Destiny. I kind of thought some major folks would want to retire and Destiny would be their last hurrah.

A definite possibility for Jason Jones.

Then we have the Ship of Bungieous paradox.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread