E3 2018 | Anthem (and maybe other EA stuff) (Gaming)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, June 09, 2018, 15:32 (2146 days ago)

And Unravel Two!

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Saturday, June 09, 2018, 18:21 (2146 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Coldwood did a surprise announcement today, and their release date is pretty soon--RIGHT NOW!!

E3 2018 | Anthem (and maybe other EA stuff)

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, June 09, 2018, 20:51 (2146 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

It was a disappointing showing, honestly. That gameplay demo was way to chopped up to actually tell much of anything. The flying looks cool, I guess. I'm still interested, but less so than I was going into the conference.

+1

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, June 09, 2018, 23:15 (2146 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Except for the 'still interested' part. The whole presentation rubbed me very wrong. Gameplay does about as fun as Destiny's, but the way they went about made it seem like a lot of it is still unfinished.

+1

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, June 10, 2018, 01:15 (2146 days ago) @ ZackDark

I heard that Anthem's story was as good as Destiny's mechanics, and its mechanics are as good as Destiny's story.

+1

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, June 10, 2018, 09:58 (2146 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I heard that Anthem's story was as good as Destiny's mechanics, and its mechanics are as good as Destiny's story.

I’m honestly not sure how I feel about that. If there’s any chance this can come close to being as good as Mass Effect in terms of story and presentation, I’m still going to be in. I’m not expecting it to be anywhere near that quality based on what we’ve seen so far though.

My perspective. . .

by Harmanimus @, Sunday, June 10, 2018, 16:19 (2145 days ago) @ cheapLEY

. . . is that the setting interests me enough that I'll probably play it for the story and not attempt to pick it up as a hobby. I guess it will really hinge on what friends of mine are picking it up around launch or if I'm going to Division it and just pick it up cheap later and get some entertainment during some variety of lull.

Sadly it feels like an interesting world but a filler game.

My perspective. . .

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, June 10, 2018, 16:41 (2145 days ago) @ Harmanimus

. . . is that the setting interests me enough that I'll probably play it for the story and not attempt to pick it up as a hobby.

That's where I am. It's where I want to be, too, I think.

Destiny is my "hobby" game. I don't particularly feel like I need another. I still just wish Anthem was a Mass Effect style RPG rather than a Destiny style action game. But if it can be that loot game with an actually good story, then I'm still very interested.

+1

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, June 10, 2018, 10:52 (2146 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Despite where ever you "heard" this, I have to say this is basically my impression watching these trailers. I also can't help but get an impression of... things look like a mix of ME:Andromeda and Destiny. All in all, it isn't a strong showing. If you had told me that this was lost footage from last years showing of Anthem @ E3 2017, it would be fairly believable.

Aw man... .

I hope that EA hasn't, but suspect it has, burned out BioWare too. I'm just not getting many good vibes here, as things feel off to me. I don't know if it's the presentation, or what it could be that I find so odd, but it just to me feels like just another game. :/

Seems like they haven't made much progress from 2017...

by Durandal, Monday, June 11, 2018, 11:37 (2144 days ago) @ ZackDark

I was intrigued by the story, but it feels too much like a Destiny ripoff at this point. The levels look suitably huge, and highly populated with wildlife, which could be interesting. however I'm leery of what tradeoffs they have made to achieve this level of scale and graphical fidelity.

Destiny and Anthem both run on the same hardware, and should be subject to the same memory and hardware limitations. ME:A's worlds were large but barren, Anthem purports to be the opposite and yet I wonder how. With flight, players can traverse a large amount of territory in a short time, so there will probably be lots of loading areas throughout the maps.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, June 11, 2018, 11:39 (2144 days ago) @ Durandal

I was intrigued by the story, but it feels too much like a Destiny ripoff at this point. The levels look suitably huge, and highly populated with wildlife, which could be interesting. however I'm leery of what tradeoffs they have made to achieve this level of scale and graphical fidelity.

Bigger is only better if you fully utilize the space. It's a waste if all you do is fly through it and don't get to interact and stuff.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, June 11, 2018, 11:54 (2144 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Bigger is only better if you fully utilize the space. It's a waste if all you do is fly through it and don't get to interact and stuff.

Unless the very act of flying around and seeing the giant space is half of the "interacting". I feel like you are making the assumption that flying around is purely for transportation. That basically what it was except for one small part where there was some combat, but I feel like it might be much more in this game. This is one of the reasons it sounds cool to me over Destiny. Destiny is a ground based game with jumping. If you can fly, why be on the ground?

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread