The Seventh Horseman - New Weapon Revealed! (Destiny)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, September 23, 2013, 16:40 (3860 days ago)

"...But at a later time there occurred portentous earthquakes and floods, and one grievous day and night befell them, when the whole body of your warriors was swallowed up by the earth, and launched into the sun"
- Ancient Plato Translation by Scan #1217-b

[image]

"The Seventh Horseman may be simple in appearance, but even a simpleton can grasp the majesty of this weapon in action. Crafted of wood before the REDACTED time has turned it into stone with a core of glass, granting the wielder a odd magnification effect; be it of mercy or malice; of battle or repose. Legend states that wielders of this weapon can fell Giants with but a single well placed shot, granting them independence from any potential foe that would ever dear stop them from their destiny. The warlock may have the power of the sun in such ever capable hands, but with this weapon, all shall fear the power of the sun.”

-------------------------------------

<3 INSANEdrive

As per the usual, this idea has been bouncing around in my noggin for a while – fortunately Bungie has released just enough (at this point Five) Weapon Renderings for me to ‘Shop up the background clean-ish. It isn’t perfect – but it’s darn close with the edits I made and I’m overall happy with the results (some minor nitpickings of course).

Technically, since Bungie has the Best Community manager (so . . . Urk ;) #RedBeardsUnite), I know I could have asked for the background and more-likely-than-not would have had a nice, clean, and very official background to play with – but where would the fun in THAT be! Half the fun after all is in the problem solving.

Also I wanted this as a surprise. (I guess fan minds do think alike!)

Surprise! ^ ___ ^

That’s also why I put it under “Destiny” instead of “Fan Creation”.

On a side note: Does DBO have a wallpapers page? It doesn’t seem to. That other site HBO-BO-BOBO has a fan wallpaper page. Can I haz DBO Wallpapers Page? Thus I send thy artistry.

------- Bonus Extra Long Explanatory Post -------

The Seventh Horseman - New Weapon Revealed!

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, September 23, 2013, 16:40 (3860 days ago) @ INSANEdrive
edited by INSANEdrive, Monday, September 23, 2013, 17:03

I feel like letting you all know the steps I took in making it – perhaps it’s because I would like to see what else the community can come up with, or just so you can understand what I had to do to make this because its interesting. My sweat is my sustenance. MMmmmm . . . Sweet sweet mostly salty sustenance. I don’t think this as technical, though I know I would have way back, so I’ll do what I can to clarify for those of you who just want to read on who are sans the knowhow. Before I begin I would like to note that this isn't 1 to 1 – it is an overall jest of the process I took to make this. Still long though.

First I had to make the background – This composed of all the (so far) published weapon renders. With multiple layers I cut out each, arranged as needed, then merged. This gave me a master image with a smaller area needed to reconstruct. The precision in these renders both made things easier in this case (though I suppose that’s mostly to the same background being used over and over) and harder in others. One of the things I had to reconstruct was the area where most of the weapons barrels lined up. This area had a pattern that technically (among a number of other options) I could reconstruct by hand -*shudder*- but as the saying goes work smart not hard. Since I am ever the avid HBO/DBO poster (even if I hardly ever post anymore -_-) I recalled a bit of news or a post mentioning the map that Bungie has used as their background texture for – well mostly everything. I found it – perfect fit. I altered the map to take out the names –just as Bungie has done, cut the map to size and used various blending modes & non-destructive (cut the cake without cutting it) editors to get it to look right with the original background. I also layered on some gradients with the center sampled color and transformed (dynamic squishing and pulling of the image) it into the shape you see – technically the area is bigger slightly – but it couldn’t be helped. I had to encompass the entire area or else the existing gradient would make things look subtlety lopsided.

So now I have my background (altered the lower corners at the last second – same basic process + clone tool [stamps a selected portion of the image to the area of the brush]) I should probably note at this point that I’m keeping organized with folders for each “object group”.

For the Slingshot I used this image and the highly underused “Blend If” with a split slider ( Alt + Click ) which gives me greater control of the blend by giving minimum and maximum values instead of just a bulk value. With this I was able to get rid of the white background but keep the fine edges of the shadows. Technically there is more than one way to do such a thing – but that’s because it’s Photoshop. There is five ways to do basically everything.

Once I had it the way I liked, I duplicated the slingshot onto a new layer, on this new layer I selected the areas of shadow with the pen tool (the most precise way to select) and masked (non-destructive erase in this case) out the shadows. Now all you can see on the top layer is the slingshot, the bottom layers the shadows. For the shadow layer I changed so that it blended into the background color. For the Slingshot Image I selected the band with the pen tool, made a mask so that only the band showed, and changed the hue of it.

Finally, we get to the Font – in this case called “Neue Haas Grotesk”. It’s a $54 font; might I add. If this surprises you then stay away from typography snobs. These letters you see on your screen are more an art then you many care to realize – but I digress.

Did I pay $54 so that I could get this just right? FOR THE CAUSE! Or did I just do something really clever (?) in Photoshop? To that end I shall not say much.

To those questions my fellow Doobers let us say the answer is Yes regardless of what the answer is for and be done with it. The legality of fan art is not something I think we want to discuss.

To that end, here is Levi’s IMPROVED drawing with lens flare!

[image]

I so win.

YEESSSSSSS.

by zoojoo ⌂ @, Iowa, Monday, September 23, 2013, 19:07 (3860 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

"...But at a later time there occurred portentous earthquakes and floods, and one grievous day and night befell them, when the whole body of your warriors was swallowed up by the earth, and launched into the sun"
- Ancient Plato Translation by Scan #1217-b

[image]

"The Seventh Horseman may be simple in appearance, but even a simpleton can grasp the majesty of this weapon in action. Crafted of wood before the REDACTED time has turned it into stone with a core of glass, granting the wielder a odd magnification effect; be it of mercy or malice; of battle or repose. Legend states that wielders of this weapon can fell Giants with but a single well placed shot, granting them independence from any potential foe that would ever dear stop them from their destiny. The warlock may have the power of the sun in such ever capable hands, but with this weapon, all shall fear the power of the sun.”

-------------------------------------

<3 INSANEdrive

As per the usual, this idea has been bouncing around in my noggin for a while – fortunately Bungie has released just enough (at this point Five) Weapon Renderings for me to ‘Shop up the background clean-ish. It isn’t perfect – but it’s darn close with the edits I made and I’m overall happy with the results (some minor nitpickings of course).

Technically, since Bungie has the Best Community manager (so . . . Urk ;) #RedBeardsUnite), I know I could have asked for the background and more-likely-than-not would have had a nice, clean, and very official background to play with – but where would the fun in THAT be! Half the fun after all is in the problem solving.

Also I wanted this as a surprise. (I guess fan minds do think alike!)

Surprise! ^ ___ ^

That’s also why I put it under “Destiny” instead of “Fan Creation”.

On a side note: Does DBO have a wallpapers page? It doesn’t seem to. That other site HBO-BO-BOBO has a fan wallpaper page. Can I haz DBO Wallpapers Page? Thus I send thy artistry.

------- Bonus Extra Long Explanatory Post -------

That's so sick. I have 3 different slingshots in my house, so my body is ready.

Any idea what this symbol is?

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Monday, September 23, 2013, 19:38 (3860 days ago) @ INSANEdrive
edited by Pyromancy, Monday, September 23, 2013, 19:49

Love it. Good work.
A wallpaper section for DBO would be right nice. (Firestream has a few good ones that have been featured on the front page in the past if I recall) The wallpaper section was one of my favorite old HBO pages to frequent back in 2001 with the release of Halo. I still have a soft spot in my heart for the old Phoenix Wallpapers too.
There is a Hard Drive saved somewhere here with my favorite wallpapers, videos, fan inspired music, etc.

[image]
Now is as good of a time as any to breach this topic. I have been puzzling over this symbol for a short while. It has appeared in a number of the videos, backgrounds, and "maps". Surely you must have mused over it during your Photochop project?
For a long while Bungie has had a Silent Cartographer in their Studio
Is this some sort of maritime directional device, like that of a compass? A diagram of the Traveler? Marty's infamous spilled coffee, mug ring? Star Wars' Cloud City?

And no Paddy, it is not a Poké Ball :P

Any idea what this symbol is?

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 07:39 (3859 days ago) @ Pyromancy

[image]

First impulse thought - Sun and Moon

Absolutely LOVE it

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 07:22 (3859 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Nice job on the wallpaper! I think you even made it look too real-looking!

This would by far be my weapon of choice. It's the perfect Hunter's sidearm! Huck and Dennis UNITE! :P

XD

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 07:38 (3859 days ago) @ Mid7night

Nice job on the wallpaper! I think you even made it look too real-looking!

Hence the edits I made at the bottom. This is a community made thing after all - felt it necessary to add such distinction just in case. (zoojoo's post worries me slightly)

Exotic grip unlocked - Purple Haze

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 07:27 (3859 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Gives longer range and overall stability.

"scuse me, while I kiss the sky." -Enemies, 2014

What would the upgrades be?

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 07:36 (3859 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

I forgot to add what the upgrades would be. Silly Sally.

Well - to the community gain then. What would the upgrades be? Or is it already too powerful?

Upgrade Unlocked: Arms Of Joerg

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 08:30 (3859 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

"The Arms of Joerg imbues your Guardian with the immense pulling power of that ancient Sprave; to loft even the mightiest of shot from your deceptively humble sling, and longer holding stamina to allow your aim to remain true."

Instant. Classic.

by Spawn ⌂, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 09:36 (3859 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Get the slingshot ready.

Awesome!

by ncsuDuncan @, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 21:53 (3858 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

What slot does this go in? It's a heavy right?

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, September 25, 2013, 04:48 (3858 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, September 25, 2013, 06:13 (3858 days ago) @ kidtsunami

It takes all three kinds of ammunition, just load the relevant kind and fire away!

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Thursday, September 26, 2013, 13:14 (3857 days ago) @ Xenos

It even fires all kinds of alternative ammunition... great for returning grenades to the enemy!

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Thursday, September 26, 2013, 13:25 (3857 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

It even fires all kinds of alternative ammunition... great for returning enemies to the enemy!

Fixed it for ya

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread