Destiny on Steam OS (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, September 23, 2013, 19:11 (3839 days ago)

Destiny on Steam OS? Mouse and Keyboard?

Yes please.

Destiny on Steam OS

by electricpirate @, Monday, September 23, 2013, 20:48 (3839 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Yes please.

Hmm, I think the likelihood of that will depend on how Bungie is handling the DX/OpenGL split between the Playstation and the Xbox. I've heard Sony has some extensions to their graphics library to have it mirror DirectX, but nothing concrete. That would mean it's possible that Destiny is written with DX calls across 3/4 platforms, which would complicate a port to linux.

Either way, I'll probably be streaming the eventual PC port to my Steambox. And I'll probably just stick with a controller, because that's what Destiny is designed for.

Plus, K/M on a couch is just awkward.

Destiny on Steam OS

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, September 23, 2013, 21:17 (3838 days ago) @ electricpirate

Yes please.

Hmm, I think the likelihood of that will depend on how Bungie is handling the DX/OpenGL split between the Playstation and the Xbox. I've heard Sony has some extensions to their graphics library to have it mirror DirectX, but nothing concrete. That would mean it's possible that Destiny is written with DX calls across 3/4 platforms, which would complicate a port to linux.

Very possibly. Unless Valve's done some similar work on their end, but I don't think there's any reason to assume that's the case at this point.

Plus, K/M on a couch is just awkward.

This is very true.

Destiny on Steam OS

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, September 23, 2013, 21:22 (3838 days ago) @ Cody Miller

If this is a thing I might very well be on board. I've been a Linux enthusiast for a long time so I'm very interested in the Steam OS idea. I'll be interested to find out whether there are specific hardware guidelines/rules and what those are, to compare prices for what I can build to the inevitable pre-built boxes.

The long-foretold Linux invasion of normal-people computing finally began with Android, and it's continuing with Steam OS. This is a good thing.

Destiny on Steam OS

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 05:58 (3838 days ago) @ stabbim

The long-foretold Linux invasion of normal-people computing

Truly, this shall be the year of the Linux desktop (YoLD, YOLO).

You only Linux once?

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 07:28 (3838 days ago) @ JDQuackers

- No text -

Destiny on Steam OS

by kapowaz, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 08:23 (3838 days ago) @ stabbim

The long-foretold Linux invasion of normal-people computing finally began with Android, and it's continuing with Steam OS. This is a good thing.

Why should normal people care what it runs under the hood? There is nigh on zero significance to Android having a Linux heritage when it is a so completely distinct product, set apart from any flavour of Linux that runs on x86 hardware on your desktop.

Destiny on Steam OS

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 20:30 (3838 days ago) @ kapowaz

Well, to be fair, I didn't say that normal people should care. I doubt most people are even aware. That doesn't change the fact that it's happening, which IS what I said.

And since we've decided to nitpick, Linux is really just the kernel, not anything else that runs on top of it. Android is just as much Linux as Ubuntu is.

Destiny on Steam OS

by kapowaz, Wednesday, September 25, 2013, 06:34 (3837 days ago) @ stabbim

And since we've decided to nitpick, Linux is really just the kernel, not anything else that runs on top of it. Android is just as much Linux as Ubuntu is.

[image]

Why do cats run so far so fast?

by scarab @, Saturday, September 28, 2013, 07:41 (3834 days ago) @ kapowaz

Isn't it enough to just get out of the water? Why do they panic and bolt out of the room? Do they think that the water will chase them and eat them if it catches them?

Why do cats run so far so fast?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, September 28, 2013, 07:48 (3834 days ago) @ scarab

Isn't it enough to just get out of the water? Why do they panic and bolt out of the room? Do they think that the water will chase them and eat them if it catches them?

Yes, they do. Honestly, it's quite sensible too.

Wut??

by scarab @, Saturday, September 28, 2013, 16:07 (3834 days ago) @ ZackDark

Water doesn't chase and eat you unless you are in a dam flood way and someone opens the sluice gates...

Silly cats.

Wut??

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, September 28, 2013, 19:31 (3834 days ago) @ scarab

Well, how are you so sure? Maybe you're falling right into the water's little game. It gains your trust and when you least expect it... WHAM! Water eats you up.

I don't know, man. I'm not taking any chances.

Destiny on Steam OS

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Saturday, September 28, 2013, 09:51 (3834 days ago) @ kapowaz

Ok, I admit I laughed pretty hard at that.

Destiny on Steam OS

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 06:02 (3838 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Yes please.

Why is Steam OS exciting for people into Mouse and Keyboards?

Destiny on Steam OS

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 06:14 (3838 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Yes please.

Because through SteamOS you can stream games from any Steam-equipped PC within your home network to your tiny "Steam Box" connected to your TV. Think of it like a local version of OnLive that enables you to play your PC games in your Living room while still keeping your big quacking gaming rig in it's own area instead of sitting next to your entertainment center/family area

That would be great

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 06:34 (3838 days ago) @ JDQuackers

Is it confirmed to work like that already?

That would be great

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 08:08 (3838 days ago) @ ZackDark

Is it confirmed to work like that already?

From the site itself [Source]

In-home Streaming
You can play all your Windows and Mac games on your SteamOS machine, too. Just turn on your existing computer and run Steam as you always have - then your SteamOS machine can stream those games over your home network straight to your TV!

w00t! Guess I'm building a tiny PC after all

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 16:37 (3838 days ago) @ JDQuackers

- No text -

Destiny on Steam OS

by kapowaz, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 08:21 (3838 days ago) @ JDQuackers

Because through SteamOS you can stream games from any Steam-equipped PC within your home network to your tiny "Steam Box" connected to your TV. Think of it like a local version of OnLive that enables you to play your PC games in your Living room while still keeping your big quacking gaming rig in it's own area instead of sitting next to your entertainment center/family area

This doesn't really answer the question, and it's at the heart of my guarded skepticism towards SteamOS. I don't need another piece of PC hardware to play PC games on a big TV in my living room; I already have the ideal setup for that in my study where my PC (well, Mac) lives, attached as it is directly to a keyboard and mouse. In the living room I'm going to be sat on the sofa, and immediately keyboard and mouse becomes a very poor way of interfacing with anything (we have the bluetooth Apple keyboard / trackpad for controlling the Mac mini hooked up to the TV as a media centre, but as good as those devices are, it's still far from ideal).

I need to see exactly what Valve has in mind for their reference hardware platform before I'll be convinced it's got legs. I'd also like to know exactly what they're planning for the inevitable hardware upgrade issue. Consoles work very well because you know that any game for a given console will perform as advertised provided you have that console (with issues related to things like having adequate disk space in the hard drive, a fast enough internet connection etc. as minor caveats). But if they're intending this to be an open platform, then inevitably there will be newer, faster hardware out 12 months out, and at that point how do they deal with the requirements issue for games? Microsoft already tried (and failed) to come up with a universal scoring mechanism for how fast your PC is; it's a really, really tricky thing given just how many factors there are in it.

Ultimately I think a big part of the reason consoles have been so successful historically is that the overwhelming majority of consumers have no interest in, or knowledge of the technical specs behind what they play their games on. They only care about the game actually working. If the SteamBox tries to encourage consumers to get involved in that part of the equation I suspect it will only have moderate — at best — success.

Destiny on Steam OS

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 09:04 (3838 days ago) @ kapowaz

This doesn't really answer the question, and it's at the heart of my guarded skepticism towards SteamOS.

To be honest, I didn't really understand what you were trying to ask originally, so I just gave a general answer to a few points made in this thread.

I don't need another piece of PC hardware to play PC games on a big TV in my living room; I already have the ideal setup for that in my study where my PC (well, Mac) lives, attached as it is directly to a keyboard and mouse. In the living room I'm going to be sat on the sofa, and immediately keyboard and mouse becomes a very poor way of interfacing with anything (we have the bluetooth Apple keyboard / trackpad for controlling the Mac mini hooked up to the TV as a media centre, but as good as those devices are, it's still far from ideal).

Agreed, but there is still more in store for this announcement. Tomorrow (about an hour from now) they will unveil the part 2 of 3. The cryptic symbols that were teased on that site were O, [O ], O + O. The "O" turned out to be SteamOS. The O "in a box" is speculated to be the actual "Steam Box" (ie, a box running SteamOS). The third part is speculated to either be a "Steam Controller" that would bridge the gap between keyboard/mouse and the couch experience, or some new kind of service (two O's working together--eh, who knows). And of course everyone is hoping that it's Half Life 3, but I don't think that's what the last symbol would be.

Destiny on Steam OS

by kapowaz, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 10:19 (3838 days ago) @ JDQuackers

Agreed, but there is still more in store for this announcement. Tomorrow (about an hour from now) they will unveil the part 2 of 3. The cryptic symbols that were teased on that site were O, [O ], O + O. The "O" turned out to be SteamOS. The O "in a box" is speculated to be the actual "Steam Box" (ie, a box running SteamOS). The third part is speculated to either be a "Steam Controller" that would bridge the gap between keyboard/mouse and the couch experience, or some new kind of service (two O's working together--eh, who knows). And of course everyone is hoping that it's Half Life 3, but I don't think that's what the last symbol would be.

I've seen them, and I interpreted them as:

o = SteamOS
[o] = SteamBox (which runs SteamOS, naturally)
o+o = Steam + another software title (I don't usually fall into the frothing with excitement circle jerk, but this seems like as good a time as any to unveil Half-Life 3, particularly if it'll be, I dunno, a SteamBox launch title?)

I don't think they'd unveil the hardware but not the controller - if they did what exactly are they announcing? A pretty generic network-attached, x86 device running some mid-range PC graphics? Hardly worth a fanfare.

Destiny on Steam OS

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Friday, September 27, 2013, 10:57 (3835 days ago) @ kapowaz

Is this the part where I gloat about being right?

;-)

I kid, I kid. But seriously, the new controller looks intriguing. Very intriguing. I can't wait to try it out and see if it can truly bridge the gap between keyboard/mouse and the traditional console control methods.

Destiny on Steam OS

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, September 27, 2013, 17:09 (3835 days ago) @ JDQuackers

I kid, I kid. But seriously, the new controller looks intriguing. Very intriguing. I can't wait to try it out and see if it can truly bridge the gap between keyboard/mouse and the traditional console control methods.

Spoiler: it won't. However, I'm very much looking forward to trying it out. I wonder how loud the 'speakers' can go.

Destiny on Steam OS

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Friday, September 27, 2013, 21:07 (3834 days ago) @ ZackDark

Spoiler: it won't.

How can you possibly know this? I'm very optimistic. What if Valve's really done it this time? WHAT IF?

Destiny on Steam OS

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Friday, September 27, 2013, 21:43 (3834 days ago) @ JDQuackers

I'm optimistic. The controller looks great, and I love what they're doing to allow it to be used with your entire Steam library, past and present.

Destiny on Steam OS

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, September 27, 2013, 23:07 (3834 days ago) @ JDQuackers

Oh, I'm optimistic. But the nearer that controller can get to a mouse is laptop-trackpad-like mouse movement, while on the other side of the spectrum it'll be like the virtual trackpads on tablets, except it'll have haptic feedback.

Now, having both options on the same hardware is pretty damn great in my books, but it in no way replaces the mouse, nor thumbsticks.

Destiny on Steam OS

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 09:02 (3838 days ago) @ JDQuackers

Yes please.

Yeah, that's great and all, I'm just excited about it from the perspective of playing all the controller enabled PC games I've somehow ended up with.

The idea of a keyboard and mouse from a couch on a TV is... confusing.

I can see it being exciting from the perspective of making better gaming rigs more affordable. But that's not what I gathered from Cody's remark.

Destiny on Steam OS

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 09:15 (3838 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I do it all the time. I have my mac Hooked up to a big TV, put a cutting board on my lap, relax, and use a bluetooth keyboard / mouse. Don't knock it before you try it.

Destiny on Steam OS

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 09:19 (3838 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I do it all the time. I have my mac Hooked up to a big TV, put a cutting board on my lap, relax, and use a bluetooth keyboard / mouse. Don't knock it before you try it.

I've tried it. It sucks.

Destiny on Steam OS

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 09:21 (3838 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I've tried it. It sucks.

Hey now! Some people like it! Why do you go around making absolute statements like it sucks? SOME PEOPLE JUST LIKE DIFFERENT THINGS.

:-p

Destiny on Steam OS

by kapowaz, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 10:23 (3838 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I've tried it. It sucks.

Likewise. It's the worst of both worlds - a control scheme that works well at a desk in the environment best-suited to joypads (and gesture controls).

But hey, maybe Valve have some revolutionary controller lined up that is as good as a mouse/keyboard but as effortless as a joypad? I can't see it personally, but they have been working on ‘wearable computing’ stuff for the past couple of years.

Destiny on Steam OS

by marmot 1333 @, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 10:38 (3838 days ago) @ Cody Miller

That's what I kept thinking... I can't be the only person who already has a PC hooked up to my TV.

I could already play Steam games on it, if I wanted to. (I generally just watch youtube from the couch, or use the 360 if I want to play on the big screen.)

Destiny on Steam OS

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, September 25, 2013, 03:18 (3837 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I tried it back when I built my own projector. Played a few PC games on it and a few console games on it from the couch and definitely prefer a controller when on a couch.
[image]

Heck I'm super excited my brother-in-law brought my Xbox Controller wireless adapter so I can play Mark of the Ninja and other games on my computer properly.

Destiny on Steam OS

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 09:07 (3838 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Yes please.

It's completely optimized for gaming, featuring low latency and very fast revisions of Open GL.

Try this if you have a Mac:

Boot up in Windows and play Bioshock Infinite. Now Play the OS X version. See the difference? That's pretty much just the OS.

Destiny on Steam OS

by kapowaz, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 10:24 (3838 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It's completely optimized for gaming, featuring low latency and very fast revisions of Open GL.

Boot up in Windows and play Bioshock Infinite. Now Play the OS X version. See the difference? That's pretty much just the OS.

So... how about just booting into Windows, then? Why install a whole other OS for that?

Destiny on Steam OS

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 16:44 (3838 days ago) @ kapowaz

So... how about just booting into Windows, then? Why install a whole other OS for that?

Because it could be even faster? I thought that was the point he was trying to make.

Destiny on Steam OS

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 19:48 (3838 days ago) @ kapowaz

Windows costs a lot of money.

Destiny on Steam OS

by kapowaz, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 07:18 (3838 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Mouse and Keyboard on something you hook up to your TV? No thanks.

Destiny on Steam OS

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, September 27, 2013, 16:00 (3835 days ago) @ kapowaz

Mouse and Keyboard on something you hook up to your TV? No thanks.

Then use the steam controller?

The biggest plus

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, September 28, 2013, 12:57 (3834 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The real reason a Steam OS version would be so good is that I wouldn't have to buy a PS4 to play destiny :-p

Destiny on Steam controller?

by UnrealCh13f @, San Luis Obispo, CA, Sunday, September 29, 2013, 14:46 (3833 days ago) @ Cody Miller

[image]
Click to enlarge

Uhhhh.... I don't know you guys.... Thoughts?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, September 29, 2013, 17:56 (3833 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

Yeah, pressing Y and X looks like will be a bit awkward, given all these years of using the right hand to press them. I'm curious, though.

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Sunday, September 29, 2013, 18:27 (3833 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

I'm excited. I can't wait to try it.

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Sunday, September 29, 2013, 21:36 (3832 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

[image]
Click to enlarge

Uhhhh.... I don't know you guys.... Thoughts?

I think Ctrl-Alt-Del summed it up better than anyone so far…

ROFL

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Sunday, September 29, 2013, 22:30 (3832 days ago) @ Beorn

- No text -

Destiny on Steam OS

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Saturday, October 12, 2013, 15:09 (3820 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by General Vagueness, Saturday, October 12, 2013, 15:23

bumping almost three weeks later to say:
pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease?

also, Valve claims the controller for this, specifically the circle pad things, gives the same (or almost the same?) accuracy as a mouse on a desktop with an average amount of space to move it around and it works with games that want a free-moving motion input, like a mouse, and a resetting motion input, like a thumbstick; whether it really lives up to that, I don't know, there are a lot of factors that work against that, but I have thought plenty of times before it should be possible

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread