Midwest MeetUp: Kansouri LAN-B-Que Aug 3-5th (DBO)

by Dame117 @, Missouri, Sunday, July 01, 2018, 17:28 (2117 days ago)
edited by Dame117, Sunday, July 01, 2018, 17:46

For those still interested, this is a reminder that the DBO Midwest MeetUp (DBOMM) that we discussed earlier this year is now just a few weeks away!

the KANSOURI LAN-B-QUE
DATE: AUGUST 3rd - 5th

If you haven't already done so, please RSVP to the event in the FTB HERE
You can RSVP as "tentative" if you are interested but still unsure if you can make it.

FAQ: Is this event in Kansas or Missouri?
Answer: Yes

The rental house we are staying at is on the Kansas side.
When we go out to do stuff it will be on the Missouri side.

COST: Depends on number of people. However, I was determined to keep cost under $100 p/person for lodging for the entire weekend while also making sure we had enough space for a group. A few people had to back out recently, as of 7/1 we are down to 6 confirmed guests at a current split of ~ $82 per person for the weekend.

[image]

For those who are unable to view the flyer above:
closest airport:
Kansas City International (MCI)
Kansas City MO 64153
Address for our rental house is:
8616 West 92nd Street
Overland Park, KS 66212

WHAT TO BRING:
Bring your consoles, controllers, battery packs, HDMI / power cables and a small flat screen (if you can). Feel free to bring extra HDMI, power, network etc cables if you got 'em.
PayPal is great for splitting bills / parking, but still a good idea to bring some cash.
For those wanting to go to the WWI museum / memorial you may want to bring a hat or sunglasses / sunblock. Camera. Batteries. Charging cables for cameras and/or phones. :)

misc: I plan on bringing a few movies (such as the Assassination of Jesse James ..in honor of KC being so close to the birthplace of outlaw Jesse James) and a couple of quickplay table games (Battleship. Flux). If SPEEDRACER can make it then maybe he will bring the good stuff like STAR TREK CATAN :)

Overnight space at the rental house is limited to 10 people, if we go over that then late comers may need to get themselves a hotel

Be sure to check out the FTB events for the LAN / MeetUp that BlackT1ger is hosting this October up in Minnesota near Lake Superior!

Awesome!

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, July 01, 2018, 18:00 (2117 days ago) @ Dame117
edited by cheapLEY, Sunday, July 01, 2018, 18:04

I was just thinking about this earlier today. I am really excited for this!

I'm only two hours away, so I'm not much use for carpooling I don't expect, and I only have a single extra seat in the Jeep, but I'm willing to pick folks up from the airport if that's needed.

Can't wait!

by bluerunner @, Music City, Sunday, July 01, 2018, 18:46 (2117 days ago) @ Dame117

More new people at a LAN to tell my longwinded stories to!

Same

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Sunday, July 01, 2018, 20:22 (2117 days ago) @ bluerunner

It's not a true B.Org meetup without Bluerunner's Story Time.

Ouch. :(

by Claude Errera @, Monday, July 02, 2018, 08:49 (2117 days ago) @ stabbim

I guess that means I've never been to a true B.Org meetup. :(

by bluerunner @, Music City, Monday, July 02, 2018, 09:38 (2117 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I also have to sleep in a strange location. Keep your roof open for me.

by Claude Errera @, Monday, July 02, 2018, 09:58 (2117 days ago) @ bluerunner

It's really hard to get to. Backyard won't do?

by bluerunner @, Music City, Monday, July 02, 2018, 10:04 (2117 days ago) @ Claude Errera

As long as you have a couple of trees.

by Claude Errera @, Monday, July 02, 2018, 10:18 (2117 days ago) @ bluerunner

There's a giant cedar, covers a significant chunk of the space. I'll save a spot for you. :)

(At the current rate of progress, we should be hosting our next lan in... 2028.)

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, July 02, 2018, 10:31 (2117 days ago) @ Claude Errera

There's a giant cedar, covers a significant chunk of the space. I'll save a spot for you. :)

(At the current rate of progress, we should be hosting our next lan in... 2028.)

Unless it's a LAN/Work party!!

by bluerunner @, Music City, Monday, July 02, 2018, 10:45 (2117 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Unless it's a LAN/Work party!!

I would come to his LAN to do remodeling.

#LAN(-dscaping)

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Monday, July 02, 2018, 13:14 (2117 days ago) @ Claude Errera

lol

by Claude Errera @, Monday, July 02, 2018, 13:28 (2117 days ago) @ Speedracer513

- No text -

Hold on... I know some people.

by breitzen @, Kansas, Monday, July 02, 2018, 14:07 (2117 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I'll need to snail mail the info, but they'll be there!

Midwest MeetUp: Kansouri LAN-B-Que Aug 3-5th

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Sunday, July 01, 2018, 20:17 (2117 days ago) @ Dame117

misc: I plan on bringing a few movies (such as the Assassination of Jesse James ..in honor of KC being so close to the birthplace of outlaw Jesse James) and a couple of quickplay table games (Battleship. Flux). If SPEEDRACER can make it then maybe he will bring the good stuff like STAR TREK CATAN :)

FYI, I also possess Star Trek Catan. I got it from Speedracer. :)

+1 please bring Star Trek Catan :)

by Dame117 @, Missouri, Sunday, July 01, 2018, 22:10 (2117 days ago) @ stabbim

- No text -

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Sunday, July 01, 2018, 20:30 (2117 days ago) @ Dame117

Sweet! I'll be there. If anyone is coming down the I-35 corridor through Des Moines and wants to save some gas, feel free to hit me up for a carpool from there to KC.

I have hit up Stabbim.

by Funkmon @, Sunday, July 01, 2018, 21:21 (2117 days ago) @ stabbim

I'm about 85% sure I can do it. Will know in a couple weeks.

+1 Glad you may make it after all!

by Dame117 @, Missouri, Sunday, July 01, 2018, 21:59 (2117 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

BBQ Recommendations

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Monday, July 02, 2018, 06:39 (2117 days ago) @ Dame117

• Gates - Best Brisket in town, just be prepared to order before you get in line.
  • Joes Kansas City - Great pulled pork, great french fries, and the Z-Man (BBQ Sandwich with onion rings on top)

Sad to say we can't come this time around but hopefully next time!

BBQ Recommendations

by bluerunner @, Music City, Monday, July 02, 2018, 08:16 (2117 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

pulled pork

The only kind of barbeque that matters.

BBQ Recommendations

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Monday, July 02, 2018, 08:24 (2117 days ago) @ bluerunner

pulled pork

Certainly my favorite, but my wife would strongly disagree with you there.

BBQ Recommendations

by bluerunner @, Music City, Monday, July 02, 2018, 08:49 (2117 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

pulled pork

Certainly my favorite, but my wife would strongly disagree with you there.

Too bad y'all arent coming. I can go all day on a barbeque fight.

BBQ Recommendations

by Dame117 @, Missouri, Monday, July 02, 2018, 18:01 (2116 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

• Gates - Best Brisket in town, just be prepared to order before you get in line.
  • Joes Kansas City - Great pulled pork, great french fries, and the Z-Man (BBQ Sandwich with onion rings on top)

Sad to say we can't come this time around but hopefully next time!

Awesome! Thank you for chiming in :) Good to get a locals perspective!
Searching online did turn up Arthur Bryant's, Gates, Joe's and Jack Stack as frequently nominated best for BBQ

Steak recommendations came up with Anton's taproom, Pierpoints at Union Station, Jess & Jims, and Hereford House.

re: the BBQ places you recommend, any of them have a good mild / sweet BBQ sauce for anyone who maybe is a wimp when it comes to hot spicy things?? :)

BBQ Recommendations

by cheapLEY @, Monday, July 02, 2018, 18:05 (2116 days ago) @ Dame117

Awesome! Thank you for chiming in :) Good to get a locals perspective!
Searching online did turn up Arthur Bryant's, Gates, Joe's and Jack Stack as frequently nominated best for BBQ

I'm not a huge fan of BBQ to begin with, so take this with a grain of salt, but Jack Stack is highly overrated in my opinion. They do have a pretty decent prime rib, though.

Agreed

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Tuesday, July 03, 2018, 06:07 (2116 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Jack Stack is popular, but highly over-rated.

BBQ Recommendations

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Tuesday, July 03, 2018, 06:10 (2116 days ago) @ Dame117

KC BBQ is generally not too spicy anyway. I forget what Gates keeps around, but Joe's Kansas City BBQ keeps a few sauce options at the table so you should be able to find one that you like.

BBQ Recommendations

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, July 03, 2018, 06:41 (2116 days ago) @ Dame117

re: the BBQ places you recommend, any of them have a good mild / sweet BBQ sauce for anyone who maybe is a wimp when it comes to hot spicy things?? :)

Heh, I'm looking for the opposite.

BBQ Recommendations

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, July 03, 2018, 11:54 (2116 days ago) @ stabbim

Heh, I'm looking for the opposite.

Kansas City style can have some spice. If I do wet bbq, I like the sweet spicy flavor.

There was an old joint oustide of Starkville, MS I used to go to. It was a house back in the woods with a shed next to it that seved as their restaurant. They had sauce so spicy most of my friends couldn't eat it. I remember it made my dad cry when he tried it. I loved that sauce.

BBQ Recommendations

by TheOmegaClown, Wednesday, July 04, 2018, 09:05 (2115 days ago) @ Dame117

Burnt ends are a KC bbq delight that you want to try if you can. The burnt ends sandwich at gates puts me in my happy place every time I get it.

Def want to try Joe's when you're out there! Its the best spot imo.

BBQ Recommendations

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Monday, July 02, 2018, 18:35 (2116 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Wish I could make it, too. Didn't Bojo say he was going to try and make it?

Interested Parties

by Dame117 @, Missouri, Monday, July 02, 2018, 22:15 (2116 days ago) @ Malagate

Wish I could make it, too. Didn't Bojo say he was going to try and make it?

I'm not sure who "Bojo" is.

Heres a list of people I'm aware of who expressed interested in attending this meetup:

Stabbim
Breitzen
Dame
CheapLEY
Beorn
Kermit
BlueRunner
Speedracer
BlackT1g3r +1
General Vagueness
Pyromancy
FyreWulff
FunkMon
Azrael
Zumphry
Atsumi (nominated by Kermit / Beorn)
Levi (nominated as 'interested' by Breitzen)

Dr BoJangles is coming to the Superior LAN

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Tuesday, July 03, 2018, 06:10 (2116 days ago) @ Malagate

- No text -

^ That, my bad. Wrong LAN. Carry on!!

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Thursday, July 05, 2018, 09:01 (2114 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

- No text -

Regret. Regret. Regret.

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Monday, July 02, 2018, 10:00 (2117 days ago) @ Dame117

Afraid I won't be able to make this one. I'm traveling for work for three weeks, then two days after I get back, we're buying a house and moving in. All of which happens the week leading up to this event. So I'm afraid I'm just going to be toasted. If you all need an extra, though, I'd love to join remotely for some games here and there!

Family Vacay

by breitzen @, Kansas, Monday, July 02, 2018, 14:00 (2117 days ago) @ Dame117

Turns out my family planned a vacation that weekend... in KC!

So I'm gonna plan on being around for at least a full day with our DBO crew. Can't wait!

Also: #TeamPulledPork

Family Vacay

by Dame117 @, Missouri, Monday, July 02, 2018, 17:25 (2116 days ago) @ breitzen

Turns out my family planned a vacation that weekend... in KC!

So I'm gonna plan on being around for at least a full day with our DBO crew. Can't wait!

Also: #TeamPulledPork

That would have to be Saturday if you're wanting a full day.
Due to the drive, many people wont arrive till Friday afternoon or evening.
Then most are leaving Sunday morning.

Lodging: price change..

by Dame117 @, Missouri, Monday, July 02, 2018, 17:55 (2116 days ago) @ Dame117

okay so... we lost another one (partially).

as of 7/2/18 that puts the lodging cost now at $98 per person for the weekend for the 5 left who will be there (Stabbim, Cheapley, Dame, Kermit & Bluerunner). That's at the limit of the budget for some of us.

if Funkmon is able to make it to Des Moines to carpool in with Stabbim, that'll bring us back to 6 people and $82 per person for the weekend. (paypal is probably the easiest way for you guys to reimburse me. We can wait a couple weeks in case people / price changes again)

Well Stabbim, looks like we could have done this at your home after all! LOL. We went from 9 confirmed (12 to 15 with the 'maybes') down to 5 or 6 people. Of course this all starts to unravel a couple days after I book the place despite holding off doing so for several weeks! {shrug}

It'll be good times none-the-less :)
D2, BBQ, & Story-Time with Blue!

by cheapLEY @, Monday, July 02, 2018, 18:08 (2116 days ago) @ Dame117

I can likely pitch in a little bit extra, if need be. I was figuring for more than that in my head. It's only a tank of gas away for me.

by breitzen @, Kansas, Monday, July 02, 2018, 18:08 (2116 days ago) @ Dame117

I’m still happy to pitch in a bit!

by Dame117 @, Missouri, Monday, July 02, 2018, 18:15 (2116 days ago) @ breitzen

I can likely pitch in a little bit extra, if need be. I was figuring for more than that in my head. It's only a tank of gas away for me.

I’m still happy to pitch in a bit!

Thanks guys, mighty kind of you!
Hopefully it wont be needed
Let's give it a couple weeks and see what happens :)

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Friday, July 13, 2018, 20:17 (2105 days ago) @ Dame117

You jerks are planning a meetup in my home town without me!?

*Sees name already on guest list.*

You jerks just assuuuume I want to meetup?!

Despite requiring me to cross the border into Mordor--er, I mean Kansas, I only live 15 minutes away from that rental! Sadly tho, I work weekends, BUT I think I should be able to come and hang out in the evenings after work!

by Dame117 @, Missouri, Tuesday, July 17, 2018, 13:11 (2102 days ago) @ Leviathan

You jerks are planning a meetup in my home town without me!?

*Sees name already on guest list.*

You jerks just assuuuume I want to meetup?!

Despite requiring me to cross the border into Mordor--er, I mean Kansas, I only live 15 minutes away from that rental! Sadly tho, I work weekends, BUT I think I should be able to come and hang out in the evenings after work!

WHAT!? Your name was on the guest list?! that must be a mistake.
Sorry for any inconvenience =P

:)

That's a bummer you work weekends, but it would be great if you do get to stop by in the evenings. We will be having the LAN, plus story-time with Blue and now we could have show-&-tell art time with you! (I visited your site.. wow!)

If you email me through DBO and include your mobile number, I can include you on group discussions about the meet-up :) We also have a shared event folder on Google+

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Wednesday, July 18, 2018, 11:07 (2101 days ago) @ Dame117

I visited your site.. wow!

If you didn't jump straight from there into his comic book series, Mayflower, it's awesome and definitely worth checking out!

Also, I should probably take my own advice, since I'm now two issues behind :p

-Disciple

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread