Anthem--Full gameplay demo. (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, July 05, 2018, 12:15 (2121 days ago)

Bioware released the behind closed doors demo shown at E3. I'm still not sure what to think, but I'm definitely interested. Flying around looks fun. The gunplay doesn't look super great, but maybe it feels better than it looks.

I'll be that guy

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Thursday, July 05, 2018, 12:51 (2121 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I'm not understanding the huge hype around this game, it doesn't seem that fun to me. It looks beautiful and that open world looks amazing...but the gameplay looks so boring. I was watching the E3 gameplay trailer with my wife and we both were thinking "This is how they are showing off the game?" I was hoping it was a limited preview type thing...but so far watching this video...nope.

This game seems like Lost Planet hooked up with The Division while Titanfall sat in the corner and watched.

Just big lumbering machines, standing there shooting stuff, then going over there to stand and shoot stuff.

What am I missing?

I'll be that guy

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, July 05, 2018, 13:12 (2121 days ago) @ ManKitten

I sort of agree, but I'm hoping it's more fun to play than it is to watch. Hell, Mass Effect is the same way--it looks boring as hell, but I actually quite like the way it plays. Gears of War is the same.

I do like the interactions between attack types and setting up combos (something I wish Destiny did more of!).

I'm sure I'll play it, but I'm not sure how long I'll stick with it. I don't really need another live game in my life. Destiny is that game for me, and I don't really want another one.

I'll be that guy

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Thursday, July 05, 2018, 14:27 (2121 days ago) @ ManKitten

I'm hopeful that the story with be 100% better than Destiny. The movement definitely doesn't look as fun, but I like the idea of the combo attacks and if they can keep the combat interesting by making me think about which abilities to use when that can add to the fun. That said, I still think it looks a lot like a me-too live game so I'm going to wait to see what people say after it releases.

I'll be that guy

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Friday, July 06, 2018, 12:22 (2120 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

I'm hopeful that the story with be 100% better than Destiny. The movement definitely doesn't look as fun, but I like the idea of the combo attacks and if they can keep the combat interesting by making me think about which abilities to use when that can add to the fun. That said, I still think it looks a lot like a me-too live game so I'm going to wait to see what people say after it releases.

This has been the thing I've always felt is missing from Destiny: Specific combos and standout effects from mixing attacks/powers across classes. That tactical force-multiplying factor from Mass Effect seems alive and well within Anthem, but consequently seems to slow the pace of combat a tad to set these interactions up, as well. Destiny's orb system has seemed rather generic in comparison; while all other elements of combat feel oriented towards preserving the breakneck pace of an experience like Warframe.

I'll be that guy

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Thursday, July 05, 2018, 15:43 (2121 days ago) @ ManKitten

I'm not understanding the huge hype around this game, it doesn't seem that fun to me. It looks beautiful and that open world looks amazing...but the gameplay looks so boring. I was watching the E3 gameplay trailer with my wife and we both were thinking "This is how they are showing off the game?" I was hoping it was a limited preview type thing...but so far watching this video...nope.

This game seems like Lost Planet hooked up with The Division while Titanfall sat in the corner and watched.

Just big lumbering machines, standing there shooting stuff, then going over there to stand and shoot stuff.

What am I missing?

I mean, to each their own but you just described what destiny is for me.

But I agree that Anthem doesn't do anything for me, but that's because it seems super familiar.

(We see this every cycle though, a game implements something novel or new ((or in PUBG\Fortnite's case, something not 'new' but not done in awhile)) and there is a rush to clone and spin that gimmick while there is money to be made from it.)

I'll be that guy

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Friday, July 06, 2018, 12:18 (2120 days ago) @ Revenant1988

What am I missing?

I mean, to each their own but you just described what destiny is for me.

But I agree that Anthem doesn't do anything for me, but that's because it seems super familiar.

(We see this every cycle though, a game implements something novel or new ((or in PUBG\Fortnite's case, something not 'new' but not done in awhile)) and there is a rush to clone and spin that gimmick while there is money to be made from it.)

It was Korny's recent post RE:Forsaken changes that got me thinking this way too, and I almost smacked my forehead because it's so obvious. It's been the Bungie MO always; to take innovations in the industry and polish the bejesus out of them and present them to a larger audience. No wonder they seem to be following suit on a lot of things that Digital Extremes has implemented with Warframe. Bungie is just closer to the mainstream, while as developers Digital Extremes seem more agile and willing to go out on a limb with new and innovative functionality.

Anthem--Full gameplay demo.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, July 05, 2018, 13:00 (2121 days ago) @ cheapLEY

My initial reaction is that it looks like Mass Effect's multiplayer (hello, elemental combo attacks) with Dark Void's movement system.

Anthem--Full gameplay demo.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, July 05, 2018, 13:11 (2121 days ago) @ cheapLEY

The open world aspect of flying through caverns with AA guns shooting at you sounds cool. The boss fight? looked boring. I like the idea of combos, but if it's just that and firing your gun... eh. I don't know it doesn't show off that much more. I'm sure I'll try it if it's a free weekend sort of game but I'm definitely not buying anytime soon.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread