Crucible and the worst aspect of D2 Spawns (Criticism)

by Harmanimus @, Saturday, July 07, 2018, 22:26 (2116 days ago)

I'm not going to go into any major depth. I used to think this was a solved problem, and I don't remember it being an issue through Halo all the way through D1Y3. It isn't a problem I notice in most other games on the market, excluding narrow band circumstances particular to certain game modes. But in Des2ny I seem to keep experiencing it.

Spawning in unsafe locations.

This was spurned forward into this post due to two experience today, though they're not unique to today. Both involved me spawning in actively under fire repeatedly. Playing Mayhem, I expect a little bit in the way of rough edges. But these were grating.

One instance was three deaths to the same player in a row, two to the same Dawnblade cast. The second was not to an individual, but I was spawned inside of a Thermite Grenade (this has happened to me in the past) as well as within the direct path of a Sunbreaker chucking hammers. This resulted in four deaths in about 20 seconds. I mean, [muffled screams], it really doesn't seem like that should be happening in this year of 2k18.

This leaves me with two questions which also stand as the constructive portion of this criticism: Why am I forced to instantly respawn (e.g., no delay time where you can choose to respawn early) and not allowed to opt-in on that setting? What ever happened to "No Safe Space" spawning delays so that the entire map cannot be treated as a spawn trap?

I'm interested in discussion, anecdotes, and references to why these decisions were made. I might have missed them. Well, especially references to what the logic is behind not using these anti-grief features. Or any other discussion on spawning issues and if there is any way of countering them, other than getting good. No one likes to be spawn killed. Let alone repeatedly. Albeit, it could always just be me having really bad luck and I am an isolated incident.

Crucible and the worst aspect of D2 Spawns

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, July 08, 2018, 00:59 (2116 days ago) @ Harmanimus

Did this happen in 6v6 or in 4v4? I don’t remember how many are in Mayhem.

by Harmanimus @, Sunday, July 08, 2018, 02:52 (2116 days ago) @ Cody Miller

4v4. I’ve been experiencing it periodically since launch, though. Mostly the spawning inside grenades part.

by DEEP_NNN, Sunday, July 08, 2018, 07:52 (2116 days ago) @ Harmanimus

I've experienced two deaths by the same super wielder on several occasions. I've accepted the situation since supers have huge ranges and the only solution is to make the maps bigger. Bigger maps wouldn't be my choice.

I just came back to D2 Quickplay for weekly leveling up and weapon quests. I play solo less than 10 games per week. I've played amazingly well for someone as old as me (subjective). I really don't have any complaints except for the guns. D1 had Soulstealers Claw which I loved in Crucible. I do enjoy the Sweet Business/Actium War Rig combo. Love winding that sucker up against a wall and then stepping out to lay waste.

by Harmanimus @, Sunday, July 08, 2018, 16:21 (2115 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

I've experienced two deaths by the same super wielder on several occasions. I've accepted the situation since supers have huge ranges and the only solution is to make the maps bigger. Bigger maps wouldn't be my choice.

Is that just a preference to close quarters fighting that you wouldn't want bigger maps? Even with shifting back to 6v6? I hadn't personally considered map changes to facilitate a difference in being spawned under fire - not just abilities and supers. That is why I miss the option to delay my respawn to not suffer that so much.

I just came back to D2 Quickplay for weekly leveling up and weapon quests. I play solo less than 10 games per week. I've played amazingly well for someone as old as me (subjective). I really don't have any complaints except for the guns. D1 had Soulstealers Claw which I loved in Crucible. I do enjoy the Sweet Business/Actium War Rig combo. Love winding that sucker up against a wall and then stepping out to lay waste.

I never could get settled with Sweet Business. I wanted to, but it just doesn't fit me.

by DEEP_NNN, Sunday, July 08, 2018, 16:56 (2115 days ago) @ Harmanimus

Is that just a preference to close quarters fighting that you wouldn't want bigger maps? Even with shifting back to 6v6? I hadn't personally considered map changes to facilitate a difference in being spawned under fire - not just abilities and supers. That is why I miss the option to delay my respawn to not suffer that so much.

Time to contact is important. Too lengthy and complaints about camping and boredom rule the day. I love big maps for the right game. I.E. PUBG, TITANFALL, World of Tanks.

I'm pretty sure every D2 super can range across an entire map if a player is determined. No spawning system can protect you against that. Delayed respawns would not help at all.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread