EA acquires Bungie Co-founder's studio, Industrial Toys (Destiny)

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Monday, July 09, 2018, 14:36 (2111 days ago)

https://venturebeat.com/2018/07/09/electronic-arts-acquires-mobile-shooter-maker-industrial-toys/

Electronic Arts said it has acquired Industrial Toys, a creative team that has made a number of ambitious mobile games, for an undisclosed price. The Pasadena, California-based Industrial Toys started in 2012, and its cofounder has a high-profile pedigree: Alex Seropian, the founder and former CEO of Bungie Studios (makers of Halo and later Destiny).

Seropian and cofounder Tim Harris wanted to bring first-person shooters to mobile games. They sought to create console-like experiences on mobile, but found it was harder to do. They launched titles such as Midnight Star, a sci-fi shooter game where the movement was restricted and aiming was more automated, as that worked better on mobile devices.

The acquisition closed in July.

“Creating breakthrough games takes passionate developers and incredible creativity, and each time we’ve worked with the Industrial Toys team, we’ve been inspired by their unique approach,” said Samantha Ryan, a senior vice president and group general manager in EA’s Worldwide Studios group, in a statement. “We’re thrilled to have them join our studio organization, pursue new ideas together and bring amazing new games to our players.”

The 14-person Industrial Toys studio is joining EA’s Worldwide Studios organization, the global creative collective responsible for development of EA titles across all major platforms.

I think this means Alex Seropian and I are technically co-workers now.

P.S. Apologies if you read the first three words of the title and freaked out.

Definitely a WTF moment

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, July 09, 2018, 14:46 (2111 days ago) @ CyberKN

Then I actually started reading the info...

Still a WTF moment

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Wednesday, July 11, 2018, 09:01 (2109 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I didn;t know that was what Seropian had been doing. The last thing I knew about was the Wideload Games stuff.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread