Redrix's Claymore (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, July 09, 2018, 18:35 (2115 days ago)
edited by Cody Miller, Monday, July 09, 2018, 18:45

So after hundreds of competitive games, I finally got Redrix's Claymore.

[image]

Normally you know how I feel about rewards influencing play activities, but I have to say it was a pretty fun journey. I started completely sucking at Des2ny with a 0.7 KD/A, going to a 1.4 KD/A by the end. It was super fun to unlearn everything, and get good at Des2ny, which is decidedly a much different game in the crucible than its predecessor. Even without the reward, I'd have loved the journey.

Anyway about the gun. As a PvP gun, it's… well it's pretty weak to be honest.

On its own, Redrix's Claymore is a high impact slow firing pulse rifle. AKA the worst kind. It's completely outclassed by pretty much everything. Even forgetting about V-Wing and G-Lance, other legendary pulses will straight up beat you in a fight. It's got a fair amount of vertical recoil, a bit less than V-Wing. So… is that it? No.

The secret to the gun is the Desperado perk. If you reload while outlaw procs, the gun can then fire at max rate for the next 8 seconds, without losing impact. So imagine a Grasp of Malok that hits like a Messenger. It's borderline unfair. I say borderline because a lot has to happen for you to reap the benefits.

1. You must get a precision kill.
2. You must then reload.
3. You must find another enemy within 8 seconds.

If you start off playing behind your teammates as support rather than trying to win 1v1 gunfights, you can do okay and activate the perk somewhat often. However, you've usually taken damage after a gunfight… so half the time you aren't really even in a position to take on another enemy. Hunters have it made with the Wormhusk Crown though, since you can heal very quickly and try to get back in. But, in all honesty it's just not really a good all round gun. I'm a little disappointed that Bungie didn't make something that could generally compete with V-Wing or G-Lance, and be something good on its own. It's pretty specialized, and generally not reliable all round. It's more of a 'fun gun'.

In PvE though, the gun is a monster. You can get criticals all day long, and there's never a shortage of enemies around. It's kind of ironic that the competitive PvP reward is a really dominant gun in PvE.

You can also masterwork it!

Redrix's Claymore

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Tuesday, July 10, 2018, 06:06 (2114 days ago) @ Cody Miller

In PvE though, the gun is a monster. You can get criticals all day long, and there's never a shortage of enemies around. It's kind of ironic that the competitive PvP reward is a really dominant gun in PvE.

Is it, though?

It'd be regressive to actually reward a player who showed a demonstrable improvement in multiplayer performance with a weapon that noticeably would improve that performance.

I think it's one of those things where you'd think there should be a logical connection, but there really isn't. Probably the most sensible thing to do with a reward like that is to give you an item that prompts you to.. you know, go do something different than the grind you've been doing.

I think there's less of an issue with rewarding PVE grind with PVE-specific loot (raid guns with raid perks) because there's not generally going to be too much sour community grapes over that (although there is over low drop rates for special guns like gjallarhorn and icebreaker.

Redrix's Claymore

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, July 10, 2018, 08:08 (2114 days ago) @ narcogen
edited by Cody Miller, Tuesday, July 10, 2018, 08:18

Is it, though?

It'd be regressive to actually reward a player who showed a demonstrable improvement in multiplayer performance with a weapon that noticeably would improve that performance.

No, it wouldn’t. The two best pulse rifles everyone already has. Just make something that could hold its own against them. Doesn’t seem unfair to me. I mean, your exotic slot would open up but that’s about it.

Something like the messenger from D1 is a good example. You got it from playing Trials, and it was a great PvP gun. It was no last word / thorn, but it was a good gun and definitely a contender.

Redrix's Claymore

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Tuesday, July 10, 2018, 11:56 (2114 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Is it, though?

No, it wouldn’t. The two best pulse rifles everyone already has.

What are they?

Does it disprove your point if I don't have them, or don't even know what they are?

Just make something that could hold its own against them. Doesn’t seem unfair to me. I mean, your exotic slot would open up but that’s about it.

Something like the messenger from D1 is a good example. You got it from playing Trials, and it was a great PvP gun. It was no last word / thorn, but it was a good gun and definitely a contender.

Never played any Trials because I'm not a huge fan of competitive multiplayer. That said, I'm sure that the few times I end up going in there because of events like Triumphs, I'd feel great about going up against better players who got better gear because they're better players.

You can disagree about whether or not that's good design, or if you like it or not, but it is regressive-- or at best just sideways, in which case I can already hear all of Reddit asking what the point is.

Redrix's Claymore

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, July 10, 2018, 12:14 (2114 days ago) @ narcogen

No, it wouldn’t. The two best pulse rifles everyone already has.

What are they?

Does it disprove your point if I don't have them, or don't even know what they are?

Graviton Lance and Vigilance Wing. And no. It just means you don't play much PvP or something.

Never played any Trials because I'm not a huge fan of competitive multiplayer. That said, I'm sure that the few times I end up going in there because of events like Triumphs, I'd feel great about going up against better players who got better gear because they're better players.

I think you misunderstand… The Messenger was not by any means the best gun, but it was fun and could hold its own. I wasn't wishing for Redrix's to be another Thorn, but just something that could be like that. I don't know how that would do anything against your situation, given that any sort of better player already has better guns (the two exotic pulses). What difference would it make when they could just kill you with one of those instead?

It's really an options thing.

Redrix's Claymore

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Tuesday, July 10, 2018, 06:31 (2114 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The secret to the gun is the Desperado perk. If you reload while outlaw procs, the gun can then fire at max rate for the next 8 seconds, without losing impact. So imagine a Grasp of Malok that hits like a Messenger. It's borderline unfair. I say borderline because a lot has to happen for you to reap the benefits.

1. You must get a precision kill.
2. You must then reload.
3. You must find another enemy within 8 seconds.

If you start off playing behind your teammates as support rather than trying to win 1v1 gunfights, you can do okay and activate the perk somewhat often. However, you've usually taken damage after a gunfight… so half the time you aren't really even in a position to take on another enemy.

In a way, this sounds a lot like how the Agamid applies to PvP. Decent cleanup weapon that then procs on kill, but you have to rush to the next kill to keep it going. If you aren't actively participating in team-shoot tactics; it seems like reading the radar, anticipating enemy movements, and well-timed and placed grenades can be your leading attack. Then you just mop up with the weapon itself. Situational to be sure, but it doesn't sound yet like you are struggling with it.

Redrix's Claymore

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, July 10, 2018, 10:07 (2114 days ago) @ Cody Miller

All said. I still want this thing. Odds are it's going to slay in Gambit. So far, my best streak of wins was 7 with randoms. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I do not expect to get my virtual hands on Redrix's Claymore.

Redrix's Claymore

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, July 10, 2018, 11:32 (2114 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

All said. I still want this thing. Odds are it's going to slay in Gambit.

This is a really good point. You have no problem keeping Desperado active against minions of the darkness… it would be good against the invading player.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread