Staten gone?!?! (Destiny)

by Warbow, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 14:10 (3860 days ago)

Staten gone?!?!

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 14:13 (3860 days ago) @ Warbow

Whoa. That's a surprise, for sure.

(And hey, Warbow!)

Staten gone?!?!

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 14:13 (3860 days ago) @ Warbow

Wow. That really did come as a shock. Anybody see this coming?

Best of luck Joe

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 14:20 (3860 days ago) @ Warbow

While I definitely find this to be sad news, I wish you the best of luck Joe. I've enjoyed your contributions to the Halo universe, and I look forward to enjoying the input you had in the creation of Destiny when it drops. I'll be watching to see what you work on next.

Definitely shocking, but I look forward to his future...

by Atsumi ⌂, Jefferson City, MO, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 14:25 (3860 days ago) @ Warbow

...endeavors.

Holy crap. Did not see that coming.

by ShadowOfTheVoid ⌂, South Carolina, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 14:27 (3860 days ago) @ Warbow
edited by ShadowOfTheVoid, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 14:35

Thanks for your work in helping making Bungie the awesome studio it is, Joe. Your writing efforts (Halo 1, 2, & ODST and Contact Harvest) were always enjoyable, as were your voiceovers for the Grunts, and I can't wait to see Destiny and your contributions to it. Best of luck in your future endeavors.

And here's a blast from the past from Mr. Staten:

Staten gone?!?!

by SigbiasSilva @, West Midlands, England, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 14:32 (3860 days ago) @ Warbow

Gosh, that's hit me. Right out of the blue.

I'm such a fan of his works; he's been a real inspiration. I'll remain forever eager to see what projects he works on from here. All the best man!

Dang.

by breitzen @, Kansas, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 14:33 (3860 days ago) @ Warbow

That's a big shock, I can't wait to see what is doing next.

Well that's depressing!

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 14:41 (3860 days ago) @ Warbow

Always loved what Joe brought to the table, and his voice alone always got me excited for previews and demos (not to mention the laughter his Grunt work gave).

I'm really happy that he contributed 4 years to Destiny and that we still have a lot of his work in that franchise to look forward to, but it will still feel little sad that him (and Marcus Lehto too) won't be with Bungie as it finally conquers the world.

Hope what he does next is spectacular. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for his work!

We're gonna miss you, Joe!

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 15:05 (3860 days ago) @ Leviathan

Always loved what Joe brought to the table, and his voice alone always got me excited for previews and demos (not to mention the laughter his Grunt work gave).

I'm really happy that he contributed 4 years to Destiny and that we still have a lot of his work in that franchise to look forward to, but it will still feel little sad that him (and Marcus Lehto too) won't be with Bungie as it finally conquers the world.

Hope what he does next is spectacular. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for his work!

As always, Levi says it better than I can.

The only time I met Joseph was at Macworld 2000 where he was producing Halo video and hosting BungieTV. Since then, he has been integral in building the amazing and wonderful gameplay experiences I've grown up with. Bungie will certainly be a different place without his daily influence. Thank you for everything, Joe, and I'm very excited to see what you'll be doing next!

Well that's depressing!

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 19:55 (3859 days ago) @ Leviathan

I hope it's spectacular too! Bungie's alumni could use a combo breaker.

Staten gone?!?!

by roland ⌂ @, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 14:45 (3860 days ago) @ Warbow

Staten gone?!?!

by Zeouterlimits, Ireland, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 14:58 (3860 days ago) @ Warbow

One of their finest.
Been a huge Staten fan for years, sad to see him go.

Wonder what kind of project (game or otherwise) he's moving on to...

Aww

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 14:59 (3860 days ago) @ Warbow

I know that there are tons of awesome people at Bungie, but nothing got me as excited for a new Bungie game as hearing Staten's voice narrating the demo. Hearing him do the Destiny E3 demo took me straight back to that Halo 2 multiplayer demo. I don't tend to know the individual Bungie employees by name like some (many?) around here do, but I know Staten's and wow. I hope the best for him and can't wait to see what he does next.

Staten gone?!?!

by Zero @, Florida, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 15:14 (3860 days ago) @ Warbow

That sure is... uh... wow. To say this is shocking news would be an understatement considering the many many years of dedicated service and amazing work that Joseph was able to bring to life. It sucks to see you go, but best of luck with whatever you do in the future. It's sure to be amazing and inspiring no matter what.

That's some news, for sure.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 15:37 (3860 days ago) @ Warbow

- No text -

Staten gone?!?!

by Fuertisimo, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 15:48 (3860 days ago) @ Warbow

I wonder who's going to step up and fill his position. It seems very odd timing to me since Destiny is still in the pre-alpha.

Staten gone?!?!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 15:49 (3860 days ago) @ Warbow

I share a lot of Levi's sentiment. Success gives you choices though, and I have to believe that Staten and Lehto have made the right choices for themselves.

I was a Bungie fan before Staten got on board, and I'll be fan after or at least until they surprise me by releasing something that doesn't excite me. I used to think that Bungie was unique in their storytelling ability. They are not. There's a lot of writing talent out there. No doubt some of it is at Bungie. Ever hopeful.

I wish you nothing less than the best, Joe!

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 15:50 (3860 days ago) @ Warbow

My heart broke just a little when I saw this, but I'm happy for the time that BUNGiE, and we as BUNGiE fans, had with you. Best of luck in your future! I can't wait to see what you do next :)

Nope, didn't see THAT comin'

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 17:29 (3859 days ago) @ Warbow

But as you can see, we're all rooting and excited for you, Joe!!! Thanks for all the awesomeness you helped give us in years and games past; it will DEFINITELY be interesting to see what was so awesome that it enticed you to leave Bungie! :D

That came out of nowhere. :(

by UnrealCh13f @, San Luis Obispo, CA, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 18:58 (3859 days ago) @ Warbow

Thank you for over a decade of fun times. We will miss you!

See you starside. :)

His contributions at Bungie will be remembered...

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 19:48 (3859 days ago) @ Warbow

...especially after killing him in-game so many times.

I'm excited to see what new thing is going to receive a splash of Staten's particular sort of charm.

Staten gone?!?!

by electricpirate @, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 19:55 (3859 days ago) @ Warbow

Good luck Joe, we'll miss that unbridled, high pitched, full nerd enthusiasm. :)

Staten gone?!?!

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 20:28 (3859 days ago) @ Warbow

I don't really know what to say. I'm happy for him, but I'm going to miss seeing him and what he brought to Bungie's games. I'm really interested in seeing what he does next.

Fifteen years? Wow. Thanks, Joe.

by ncsuDuncan @, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 22:21 (3859 days ago) @ Warbow

"May the wind always be at your back and the sun upon your face. And may the wings of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars."

Excuse me, I have some old ViDocs and E3 demos to watch. Can't wait to see what project Joe lends his chipper attitude to next.

Staten gone?!?!

by Oholiab @, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 22:33 (3859 days ago) @ Warbow

That is a shock... I was literally a bit stunned for a moment.

Someone beat me to posting the Halo 2 reveal, but that was a memorable moment for me as well. So was the E3 (?) panel for ODST. I still recall telling my wife, "Joseph Staten has my dream job."

Best of luck to him! Can't wait to see what's next.

Farewell, Grunt Voice

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 22:43 (3859 days ago) @ Warbow

You were always a favorite amongst favorites at Bungie for me and I'll miss seeing you in the ViDocs, Joe.

Thank you for all the fun! We love you!

[image]

WHY DO YOU HAVE TO GO?!

Staten gone?!?!

by broony, Wednesday, September 25, 2013, 00:10 (3859 days ago) @ Warbow

I'm sure the game is in capable hands but I am still a bit gutted he has left. Thanks for all the fun you created Joe and good luck with whatever you are moving on to.

Whoa.

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Wednesday, September 25, 2013, 01:10 (3859 days ago) @ Warbow

That's a huge surprise. I remember meeting Joe at a Halo fanfest or two back in the early 2000s. He's a great guy, and he obviously played an important role in Halo-era Bungie. I wish him all the best.

I suppose they wouldn't announce his departure in advance but it just seems so abrupt after seeing him become a sort of spokesperson for Destiny this past year with the GDC presentation and E3 gameplay demo. I can't help but wonder if there was some kind of drama behind the decision.

Whoa.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Wednesday, September 25, 2013, 01:38 (3859 days ago) @ Stephen Laughlin

That's a huge surprise. I remember meeting Joe at a Halo fanfest or two back in the early 2000s. He's a great guy, and he obviously played an important role in Halo-era Bungie. I wish him all the best.

I suppose they wouldn't announce his departure in advance but it just seems so abrupt after seeing him become a sort of spokesperson for Destiny this past year with the GDC presentation and E3 gameplay demo. I can't help but wonder if there was some kind of drama behind the decision.

Or it could be seen as good timing, as well. Months after a string of announcements and presences getting Destiny off the ground and in our minds, but long enough before the actual release so it doesn't distract from the game's building launch press.

You could see it as a Master Training Exercise

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, September 25, 2013, 02:20 (3859 days ago) @ Leviathan

Where in demoing public events was a wonderful opportunity for Bungie to get a few more of their impressive army out in front of fans demoing games with a few veterans to show them the ropes.

I wouldn't be surprised if we started to see some fresh faces getting more chatty time on stage in future events.

Thanks and good luck!

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, September 25, 2013, 02:20 (3859 days ago) @ Warbow

- No text -

Staten gone?!?!

by BOLL ⌂ @, Sweden, Wednesday, September 25, 2013, 04:54 (3859 days ago) @ Warbow

http://www.bungie.net/7_Its-been-an-honor/en/News/News?aid=11101

I feel awkwardly detached. I know Staten from the many videos and presentations, but it has been some time since I really sat down and enjoyed anything from Bungie o.O It is still sad to see someone leave the ship after so long, but that is always the feeling when things like this happen, then stuff tend to work out anyway, the result will just be tinted a different color.

Call me an asshat but I figured I could just as well post my thoughts. If Joe has his mind on other kinds of media and storytelling, like perhaps movies, it is probably good for both him and everyone else that he moves on. Over the years I have seen games turn into interactive movies which breaks my heart. Just meaning that if his goals and motivation have diverged from those of Bungie it is probably a good decision. Not sure how well I got that across, uh.

And random speculation, If Staten is moving towards a... what, Halo movie project? Well that would make me very excited :P haha. I'll be looking forward to see what he takes on in the future!

Staten gone?!?!

by Warbow, Wednesday, September 25, 2013, 10:04 (3859 days ago) @ BOLL

asshat.

whoa

by pooberry, Wednesday, September 25, 2013, 11:06 (3859 days ago) @ Warbow

I love that guy. Thought he'd be one of those that never leaves. Like, ever.

It's kinda making me reflect on the fragile impermanence of all the things I thought wouldn't change. They all change. I change.

whoa

Very surprised like everyone else...

by Lurono @, Oklahoma, USA, Wednesday, September 25, 2013, 13:08 (3859 days ago) @ Warbow

While I'm sad to see him go, I wish him the best!

I'm confident that Bungie will stay on track and keep releasing great games, but Joe's presence will be missed.

And now I'm curious about what he's going on to do... There were a few people tossing around the idea of him writing books or movie scripts. Either one (or even both) would be awesome! Can't wait to see what stories he has in store for us!

Well-deserved rest

by kapowaz, Wednesday, September 25, 2013, 14:04 (3859 days ago) @ Warbow

Fifteen years of building the industry's most eagerly expected, groundbreaking console titles. I'm not surprised he wants a change of pace — truth be told I don't know how some of these guys keep going, how their marriages haven't crumbled and they're not all suffering from PTSD. I know I would be. Maybe the buzz of making these things is what keeps them going, but I'm sure you can't do that forever.

Whatever he does next (and Marcus Lehto too, for that matter) I'm looking forward to hearing about it. Maybe he'll open a vineyard or something? That'd be neat.

Well-deserved rest

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, September 25, 2013, 14:18 (3859 days ago) @ kapowaz

Maybe he'll open a vineyard or something? That'd be neat.

Contact grape harvest.

Here's to Staten! [CLINK!]

Well played, sir!

by Oholiab @, Wednesday, September 25, 2013, 15:14 (3859 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

Most have probably seen this, but I love it.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, September 25, 2013, 16:39 (3859 days ago) @ Warbow

Specifically, his second point [7:55]: Create more than you consume.

He repeated this advice at the "Evolution of a game developer" panel at PAX several weeks back.

These words haunt me every day.

I love reading, but...

I love listening to music, but ...

I love Breaking Bad, but ....

I love playing games, but ...

I love being here, but ...

His last piece of advice is crucial, too. (You'll have to watch.:))

I hadn't!

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Wednesday, September 25, 2013, 18:14 (3858 days ago) @ Kermit

Thanks for the vid, Kermit, that speech is excellent!

by roland ⌂ @, Wednesday, September 25, 2013, 19:34 (3858 days ago) @ Kermit

Hadn't seen that either, very nice.

No one has made a '"...but who will satisfy my grunty thirst now?" joke yet.

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Wednesday, September 25, 2013, 21:56 (3858 days ago) @ Kermit

P̶o̶t̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶P̶o̶t̶a̶b̶l̶e̶s̶ Quotent Quotables:

And your words will be powerful.
I urge you, use your powers of communication for good.
Bring clarity to confusion.
Build consensus, not division.
Speak humbly when you know you are right and speak kindly when you know someone else is wrong.

Not to dig up old graves, stir up old flames, or wake up the dead. But...
Beside the regular range of emotions that come along with an announcement like that, I'm ashamed to say it but this whole Staten leaving ordeal for some sad reason blindingly reminded me of these specific recent posts here on DBO :(
http://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=8741
http://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=13788

Thanks Kerm, this video has provided the words, whereas my own were quietly filled with unjustness

In a strange coincidence of events this video happened to come up in the related videos section when I was watching that convocation on the Youtube. It has 7 "likes"

Youtube | Joseph Staten's Tandem Skydive

A Question

by Risay117, Thursday, September 26, 2013, 21:56 (3857 days ago) @ Warbow

Now that Staten is gone, one wonders under what condition he left. I am not meaning what money and legal conditions but what condition the story was.

For me personally it looked like he was so into it, but due to the work nearly being completed he left. Remember he has been working on this from pre-halo reach. And if anything ODST may be when he was working the base of this game, example being the gameplay the feeling etc.

So i have this feeling that due to time he spent working away from the team and not being that involved in reach the story part of the project is most likely complete. If anything it looks like he has done his full job and created the base of the story, and only thing left is for others to fill in the details.

What i then also wonder is if he is leaving who is he leaving to fill in after him. Who could it be?

A Question

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Thursday, September 26, 2013, 22:31 (3857 days ago) @ Risay117

It's a little bit tricky since we don't know what "the story" really entails in the world of Destiny. That said, we do know that there is at least a "beginning, middle, end" classic story arc that we will be following to some extent.

Given the amount of production that happens after the story is written (world modeling, voicing, mocap, animating, etc.), and given Destiny's 2014 release, I'd be surprised if the main Destiny story line isn't entirely locked-in at this point.

In fact, my (completely uneducated) guess is that the arcs for the next couple of years are well in the pipeline at this point.

A Question

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, September 27, 2013, 09:36 (3857 days ago) @ Beorn

In fact, my (completely uneducated) guess is that the arcs for the next couple of years are well in the pipeline at this point.

If they know it's going to run for ten years, it's possible everything is already planned out until the end already.

A Question

by SonofMacPhisto @, Saturday, September 28, 2013, 10:11 (3856 days ago) @ Cody Miller

As a Mass Effect fan, here's hoping.

A Question

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Saturday, September 28, 2013, 20:24 (3855 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

As a Mass Effect newb, does that mean they had the whole story scripted out for all 3 games in advance?

A Question

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Saturday, September 28, 2013, 22:57 (3855 days ago) @ Beorn

As a Mass Effect newb, does that mean they had the whole story scripted out for all 3 games in advance?

Nope, opposite. Spoilers. :)

I think SonofMacPhisto was saying Mass Effect would have benefited from more long-term planning. (?)

A Question

by SonofMacPhisto @, Sunday, September 29, 2013, 10:50 (3855 days ago) @ Leviathan
edited by SonofMacPhisto, Sunday, September 29, 2013, 10:54

Nope, opposite. Spoilers. :)

I think SonofMacPhisto was saying Mass Effect would have benefited from more long-term planning. (?)

Levi is correct.

I mean, it's still awesome, don't get me wrong. These thoughts are in the "now that it's all over what lessons did we learn" category.

A Question

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Monday, September 30, 2013, 22:47 (3853 days ago) @ Risay117

Now that Staten is gone, one wonders under what condition he left. I am not meaning what money and legal conditions but what condition the story was.

For me personally it looked like he was so into it, but due to the work nearly being completed he left. Remember he has been working on this from pre-halo reach. And if anything ODST may be when he was working the base of this game, example being the gameplay the feeling etc.

So i have this feeling that due to time he spent working away from the team and not being that involved in reach the story part of the project is most likely complete. If anything it looks like he has done his full job and created the base of the story, and only thing left is for others to fill in the details.

What i then also wonder is if he is leaving who is he leaving to fill in after him. Who could it be?

That's a good question. Who could it be now?
da-na-na-weeee-na-ow

Where's my statenizol?!

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Monday, September 30, 2013, 22:43 (3853 days ago) @ Warbow

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread