Gambit Strategy (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, September 16, 2018, 21:36 (2042 days ago)
edited by Cody Miller, Sunday, September 16, 2018, 21:46

I played against a team that used this strategy pretty well.

They would carry a lot of motes between the four, then bank two large blockers at once, quickly bank the rest, then send over an invader while the blockers are active. Then they would quickly gather and bank motes while this was happening to get their Primeval up.

Now the obvious counter to this would be to quickly send an invader yourself when they had lots of unbanked motes, and kill them. But they would retreat and congregate when an invader came over, making it very hard to kill them. In one round I managed with Golden gun, but for the most part they could shut down invaders pretty quickly.

Good? How to counter? Any other interesting approaches you've seen?

Also what are invasion kills? The Ace of Spades bounty needs five with a hand canon, and I've killed both invading guardians, and guardians while invading without the counter moving.

Gambit Strategy

by Claude Errera @, Sunday, September 16, 2018, 22:37 (2042 days ago) @ Cody Miller

They would carry a lot of motes between the four, then bank two large blockers at once, quickly bank the rest, then send over an invader while the blockers are active. Then they would quickly gather and bank motes while this was happening to get their Primeval up.

Now the obvious counter to this would be to quickly send an invader yourself when they had lots of unbanked motes, and kill them. But they would retreat and congregate when an invader came over, making it very hard to kill them. In one round I managed with Golden gun, but for the most part they could shut down invaders pretty quickly.

Sleeper. ;)

Also what are invasion kills? The Ace of Spades bounty needs five with a hand canon, and I've killed both invading guardians, and guardians while invading without the counter moving.

It's invading guardians; I haven't seen the counter not increment if you got the kill with a hand cannon. Is it possible your teammate yoinked the actual kill?

Gambit Strategy

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, September 16, 2018, 23:26 (2042 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Sleeper. ;)

It's invading guardians; I haven't seen the counter not increment if you got the kill with a hand cannon. Is it possible your teammate yoinked the actual kill?

It has explosive payload. I wonder if the explosion getting the kill negates it?

Gambit Strategy

by Harmanimus @, Monday, September 17, 2018, 15:24 (2041 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It shouldn’t. I went through that with Timed Payload on a Better Devils. But it only ticked up if it showed as my kill in the killfeed. Final blow or something.

Gambit Strategy

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, September 17, 2018, 03:59 (2042 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Go for small blockers like crazy. It will keep their bank blocked well into invading, if done right, so you can go in and negate it all. Of course, they might switch strategy as soon as they notice that's what you're doing, which could be before you can invade.

Use Crimson. Seriously.

Gambit Strategy

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, September 17, 2018, 07:08 (2042 days ago) @ ZackDark

Go for small blockers like crazy. It will keep their bank blocked well into invading, if done right, so you can go in and negate it all. Of course, they might switch strategy as soon as they notice that's what you're doing, which could be before you can invade.

That doesn't really seem to help that much… they aren't banking so the blockers are stopping nothing, and when you invade they would group and hide in a choke point.

It seems really effective if you invade at the right time (lots of unbanked motes) AND drop a big blocker. That way, the other team is stuck with their motes and can't bank them before you engage them.

But grouping and hiding when invaded is really good. You can't just sleeper them if they are hiding in the cathedral; no sight line and only a few ways in.

Gambit Strategy

by cheapLEY @, Monday, September 17, 2018, 07:39 (2042 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I dealt with a team running a Titan bubble and the new Warlock Well of Radiance thing. They destroyed because they were basically unstoppable when we invaded.

Gambit Strategy

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Monday, September 17, 2018, 07:24 (2042 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I've seen a few teams use Ward of Dawn and Code of the Commander to great effect; shielding teammates from the invader.

Although my new Void Hunter super makes short work of that. Just sneak right on up into the bubble. Being blinded by the CoC shield takes some of the starch out of the knifey approach, though.

Bad news if you have zero skill...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, September 17, 2018, 19:06 (2041 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Looks like Sleeper is getting nerfed thanks to Gambit overdependence:

Real men use Fighting Lion. >:v

by cheapLEY @, Monday, September 17, 2018, 19:55 (2041 days ago) @ Korny
edited by cheapLEY, Monday, September 17, 2018, 20:01

Looks like Sleeper is getting nerfed thanks to Gambit overdependence:

Real men use Fighting Lion. >:v

That doesn't actually say they're going to nerf Sleeper. Giving it a Spartan Laser like beam so folks know they're being painted would be a good step. Making it so that the invader doesn't see everyone on the HUD at all times would be another. When they first come in, they get two or three seconds to see it, then make it ping every 5-7 seconds or something. This would eliminate their ability to sit behind cover and charge and then peak out for the immediate kill because they can see exactly where everyone is.

It's also a matter of no one experimenting with anything else. Everyone immediately heard Sleeper was really good, so everyone started using it at the expense of everything else. The meta would change naturally over time. You can get two or three Whisper rounds off in the time it takes Sleeper to charge. A Titan bubble basically completely negates an invader using Sleeper and forces them to come to you where they can be taken care of pretty easily.

This is a perfect example of things actually being fine with the community overreacting as always because they're too dumb to use their brains.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, September 17, 2018, 20:06 (2041 days ago) @ cheapLEY

A Titan bubble basically completely negates an invader using Sleeper and forces them to come to you where they can be taken care of pretty easily.

This is why I love to invade with a 6 shot golden gun. It's enough to take down a titan bubble, plus kill everyone inside.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, September 17, 2018, 20:59 (2041 days ago) @ Cody Miller

A Titan bubble basically completely negates an invader using Sleeper and forces them to come to you where they can be taken care of pretty easily.

This is why I love to invade with a 6 shot golden gun. It's enough to take down a titan bubble, plus kill everyone inside.

And that's awesome! That's the point. People are expecting Sleeper, which allows Invaders not using Sleeper to exploit them as they try to hide and counter a Sleeper. Give it another few weeks, and enough people will be using something other than a Sleeper during invasions that people won't just automatically assume that's what an Invader is using, and the meta will continue to change.

by breitzen @, Kansas, Tuesday, September 18, 2018, 06:23 (2041 days ago) @ cheapLEY

And that's awesome! That's the point. People are expecting Sleeper, which allows Invaders not using Sleeper to exploit them as they try to hide and counter a Sleeper. Give it another few weeks, and enough people will be using something other than a Sleeper during invasions that people won't just automatically assume that's what an Invader is using, and the meta will continue to change.

My biggest problem with Sleeper is its aim assist. And since the invader can literally track you behind walls, its easy to time that pre-charge. Now really good teams will communicate and team-shoot and have players running distraction. But again, that's going to be teams of people who know what they're doing and communicate well. It'll get better over time, but I do think Sleeper needs to be kicked down a notch.

Pro tip: Use Cold Heart to melt blockers so you can keep dumping those motes! It also works great on invading Guardians.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Monday, September 17, 2018, 20:10 (2041 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I tried out Colony to good effect tonight. Pop through the portal and spray a bunch of spiders inside their hiding spot. They were expecting Sleeper and didnt expect that.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, September 17, 2018, 20:21 (2041 days ago) @ bluerunner

Yep, Colony is great to invade with. Especially if you face off against a team that's scared of Sleeper and backs down the tunnel where they spawned in.

The new Void Hunter class is great, too. Go invisible and sneak kill the entire team.

Sleeper is a problem that I strongly suspect would fix itself given some more time (assuming you even think it's a problem in the first place--I don't).

I was totally wrong about Gambit.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, September 17, 2018, 21:04 (2041 days ago) @ Cody Miller

After playing the preview day, I really liked Gambit, but I really worried about how fun it would actually be. I worried that it would become too predictable, and would boil down to teams that had memorized spawns for every round on every map, that there wouldn't be enough variety.

I was completely wrong. It might look different in six weeks, or six months, but so far, Gambit has been really amazing, with a lot of different strategies going around, and no clear "best" strategy.

Invasions are unpredictable enough to keep things really interesting, and Invasions are basically the single deciding factor of who wins any given Gambit match. Everything hinges on good invasions stopping the enemy team.

It's a really interesting balance between PvE and PvP, but it honestly is a lot more PvP focused than I anticipated, and it's a lot better than I would have assumed had I known how PvP focused it can be.

I stand by my assertion that Gambit really is something special, one of the first real game-changers in Destiny since the Vault of Glass.

I was totally wrong about Gambit.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, September 17, 2018, 21:37 (2041 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Yup. One good invasion can turn the tide of the game for sure. I wiped the entire team one time, and thirty motes with them. Huge setback! Definitely wait until the other team has lots of unbanked notes. Don’t neasesarily rush through the portal immediately.

>:-(

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, September 17, 2018, 21:40 (2041 days ago) @ Cody Miller

No gambit private matches?! Bungie seriously. I was just about to make a DBO gambit night but just learned it can’t happen.

Smells like another DBO Impossible Challenge (tm)

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, September 17, 2018, 22:35 (2041 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread