New Subclass Crucible strategies (Just in time for IB) (Destiny)

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Monday, September 17, 2018, 08:02 (2045 days ago)

So I wanted to take a minute and gush about my experience with Way of the Wraith, and see what approaches other folks will be taking with their new subclasses in Crucible this week.

While I certainly appreciate the slow/poison effects of the new smoke bomb, the fourth and final ability really makes the subclass stand out. Being able to crouch and pull off a precision kill to go invisible and simultaneously gain Truesight is such a gamechanger. I've been using that ability in combination with Foetracer to try and be kind of a spotter of sorts. It goes against my typical run-and-gun impulses, as I'm not typically a hang-back-and-plink player, but it's worked really well.

Being able to anticipate your opponent peeking into the lane or charging around a corner is a lifesaver. You can countersnipe without a sniper, you can safely avoid supers because you know where they're headed. It's fantastic.

But my most favorite use of the power is to proc it with a headshot and then swap to a pro-pipe, and then set traps with the foreknowledge of when to let the trigger go. Sure, it's pretty situational, but it's a ton of fun.

Anyone else found any neat combos or strategies they plan to use in Iron Banner?

~m

New Subclass Crucible strategies (Just in time for IB)

by TheeChaos @, Monday, September 17, 2018, 08:21 (2045 days ago) @ Malagate
edited by TheeChaos, Monday, September 17, 2018, 08:24

I haven't given Way of the Wraith much of a shot. I should though based on your description, it would be helpful for competitive/getting handcannon kills. Rarely do I crouch for engagements, so it will take some work to refrain from jumping into the fight.

One thing that turned me off from that skill path was the 4th ability Shattering Strike. You need to get a precision kill while crouching, then melee someone, and it only applies the same debuff as melting point. Great for PVE but a harder to do in PVP.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Monday, September 17, 2018, 08:26 (2045 days ago) @ TheeChaos

One thing that turned me off from that skill path was the 4th ability Shattering Strike. You need to get a precision kill while crouching, then melee someone, and it only applies the same debuff as melting point. Great for PVE but a harder to do in PVP.

Yeah, I haven't leveraged the weakening aspect of the blades yet. I figure maybe for boss damage, but I'm not sure how much it will really make a difference against Guardians.

by TheeChaos @, Monday, September 17, 2018, 08:32 (2045 days ago) @ Malagate

It is GREAT for PVE for a couple reasons:

1. You'll be invisibile, with Truesight(seeing through walls) so you can easily and safely move in close on Boss/majors.

2. Flawless execution Buff last 15 seconds

3. All melees during the buff apply the debuff from my understanding. So you could smack a few majors as well.

This works really well during gambit. Precision a thrall, run in and melee boss/majors. Dip out.

You've given me alot to think about/try. I have become consumed with the 3 throwing knives of the new solar Path. Super fun times.

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Monday, September 17, 2018, 08:33 (2045 days ago) @ Malagate

While I certainly appreciate the slow/poison effects of the new smoke bomb, the fourth and final ability really makes the subclass stand out. Being able to crouch and pull off a precision kill to go invisible and simultaneously gain Truesight is such a gamechanger. I've been using that ability in combination with Foetracer to try and be kind of a spotter of sorts. It goes against my typical run-and-gun impulses, as I'm not typically a hang-back-and-plink player, but it's worked really well.

I've tried to used this to spot invaders in Gambit. As soon as the invader warning pops up, I'll crouch and take out a minor mob, then try to find anything that doesn't look like AI movement. Unfortunately the maps are big enough that this hasn't worked for me too often (maybe only once), but I still think there's potential.

-Disciple

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Monday, September 17, 2018, 08:46 (2045 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

I've tried to used this to spot invaders in Gambit. As soon as the invader warning pops up, I'll crouch and take out a minor mob, then try to find anything that doesn't look like AI movement. Unfortunately the maps are big enough that this hasn't worked for me too often (maybe only once), but I still think there's potential.

-Disciple

Yep, this is exactly what I've been working on, trying to get good at. Precision kill a minor enemy, then go looking for the invader, while having Foetracer equipped, in order to tag them for teammates. Still trying to perfect the method, but I think it has legs.

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Monday, September 17, 2018, 08:53 (2045 days ago) @ Malagate

-Disciple

Yep, this is exactly what I've been working on, trying to get good at. Precision kill a minor enemy, then go looking for the invader, while having Foetracer equipped, in order to tag them for teammates. Still trying to perfect the method, but I think it has legs.

Oh, that's why you mentioned Foetracer. I somehow forgot what Foetracer did. If only they had given it a name that gave you some idea of what the armor actually does. Maybe UnfriendlyFinder or EnemyTracker. Something like that :p

Seriously, though, that's a pretty great strategy. I'll have to give that a try!

-Disciple

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Monday, September 17, 2018, 11:52 (2045 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

Oh, that's why you mentioned Foetracer. I somehow forgot what Foetracer did. If only they had given it a name that gave you some idea of what the armor actually does. Maybe UnfriendlyFinder or EnemyTracker. Something like that :p

Seriously, though, that's a pretty great strategy. I'll have to give that a try!

-Disciple

Yup, the marking plus the "low-health marked enemies take extra damage" is sah-weet.

Right now I'm running Go Figure with Rampage, so if I'm not mistaken, after the first precision kill that means:

-invisbility
-truesight
-1 stack of Rampage damage

And I get the benefit of Foetracer's added damage sooner on my second target, given it's got the Rampage stack. And with each stack that TTK only goes down further. And all of this is without mentioning that being marked draws fire from my teammates, so. It's pretty amazing.

Derp, derp.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Monday, September 17, 2018, 18:59 (2045 days ago) @ Malagate

Foetracer doesn’t mark for the fireteam anymore. Makes sense, though.

Darn :(

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Tuesday, September 18, 2018, 09:42 (2044 days ago) @ Malagate

Would have been cool to have a way to signal their location when you can't talk to your team.

-Disciple

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread