Polygon review (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, September 17, 2018, 08:46 (2046 days ago)

More positive than the subtitle suggests. Minimal spoilage.

https://www.polygon.com/reviews/2018/9/14/17846398/destiny-2-forsaken-review-ps4-xbox-one-pc

What I'd give be able to take screen captures like what is shown in that review. I know it's a living world. I don't care if the world continues and I may die when I freeze the action. Worth it.

Possible Solution to Photos

by TheeChaos @, Monday, September 17, 2018, 09:08 (2046 days ago) @ Kermit

Introducing Ghost Mode:

Allows player to take control of their Ghost, for Exploration and Photos.

Ghost can fly around freely for different angles, No Hud. Maybe you can scan scannables from this.

This also makes Ghost flair more important/relevant, if you see fellow ghosts flying around. More room for Ghost perks. IE : taken theme mods or Black and White mods that give you different filters.

Certainly there are certain issues with being able to just fly around and find all the secrets, but its at least somewhat integrated with the Destiny Universe, vs just a photo mode.

^ Hire this man

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, September 17, 2018, 09:34 (2046 days ago) @ TheeChaos

- No text -

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Monday, September 17, 2018, 09:42 (2046 days ago) @ TheeChaos

Introducing Ghost Mode:

Ghost can fly around freely for different angles, No Hud. Maybe you can scan scannables from this.

This also makes Ghost flair more important/relevant, if you see fellow ghosts flying around. More room for Ghost perks. IE : taken theme mods or Black and White mods that give you different filters.

Certainly there are certain issues with being able to just fly around and find all the secrets, but its at least somewhat integrated with the Destiny Universe, vs just a photo mode.

Ya know, it could work. There is definitely a risk/reward trade off there. As you are in Ghost mode, your guardian is left vulnerable and susceptible for attack. Imagine the tactics that could employed in PvP or Gambit.

by TheeChaos @, Monday, September 17, 2018, 11:53 (2046 days ago) @ ManKitten

Introducing Ghost Mode:

Ya know, it could work. There is definitely a risk/reward trade off there. As you are in Ghost mode, your guardian is left vulnerable and susceptible for attack. Imagine the tactics that could employed in PvP or Gambit.

Yea, You'll end up like Cayde.

I honestly did not even think about the uses in the crucible or Gambit. They have always left a hole with the Ghosts IMO. Our Ghost gives dialogue, but other than just talking and hacking things, he is just kind of there reviving us. I feel they could get more out of our ghosts than just a photo mode.

Bungie kind of already did this

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, September 17, 2018, 16:05 (2046 days ago) @ TheeChaos

With the monitor in Halo Forge mode, so it's not too far fetched.

Given the way Destiny screws with time the ghost could be out of time and return later to find you dead and the world changed.

There's a part of me though that would rather this not be "in-universe." I want to tool to be able to capture the awesome visuals, which might include a ghost!

Bungie kind of already did this

by Harmanimus @, Monday, September 17, 2018, 16:38 (2046 days ago) @ Kermit

Gotta get a friendly Ghost to pose for you. Or get your snappies.

Do you have a moment to talk about our lord, Warframe?

by cheapLEY @, Monday, September 17, 2018, 17:33 (2046 days ago) @ TheeChaos

Once again, Warframe has the example. It's not perfect by any means, but provides a good way to capture cool photos in an online game. Which is it has a photo mode that is separate from the actual game.

As you play you unlock stuff for the Captura system, which includes the environments from the regular game (and lots of cool effects).

Think of it like this, from the Director, you select Photo Mode. You can then pick a Destination or multiplayer map, which you then load into in your own separate instance. In Warframe, these instances are empty, but you can spawn in enemies to set up action shots.

It's sort of an odd work-around system for handling photo mode in an online game, but it totally works, and it's actually really neat. You can even invite friends into the mode with you. The squad leader has control of pausing the action, but every person has their own camera control and can set up their own shots with effects and filters, add text and other flair to the shot, etc. It's really neat.

As I said, it's definitely a work-around, but if the goal is to not affect normal gameplay, it's a good one. The Ghost Mode thing sounds like a potentially neat idea, but I wouldn't want to have to deal with people dicking around with that in Crucible or Gambit or Strikes.

I came over as soon as I heard!

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, September 17, 2018, 22:22 (2045 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Here are some shots that I captured in-game during the second Forsaken mission. Imagine what players could do with a proper Photo Mode:
[image][image][image][image][image]
[image][image][image]

Think of it like this, from the Director, you select Photo Mode. You can then pick a Destination or multiplayer map, which you then load into in your own separate instance. In Warframe, these instances are empty, but you can spawn in enemies to set up action shots.

You can pause enemies mid-animation too, to capture shots like these:
[image][image][image][image]

It's sort of an odd work-around system for handling photo mode in an online game, but it totally works, and it's actually really neat. You can even invite friends into the mode with you.

Up to eight players with their own Cameras in a single instance. I'm sure Bungie could allow at least a Fireteam of three into a Photo Mode without it messing up the way the game works for others.

The squad leader has control of pausing the action, but every person has their own camera control and can set up their own shots with effects and filters, add text and other flair to the shot, etc. It's really neat.

As I said, it's definitely a work-around, but if the goal is to not affect normal gameplay, it's a good one. The Ghost Mode thing sounds like a potentially neat idea, but I wouldn't want to have to deal with people dicking around with that in Crucible or Gambit or Strikes.

That's why it'd be best to have it as a standalone thing, like Private Matches. Maybe they could fully-render your shots like Halo 3's Theater mode would do once you took a screenshot.
Speaking of Destiny though, check out the Dead Orbit/FWC/New Monarchy Faction cosplays:

[image][image][image]
[DO is mine, the other two are from Reddit]

I dunno. It really feels like there are a dozen ways that Bungie could make a photo/theater mode work in the game (with the Ghosts being a no-brainer) in a way that wouldn't be detrimental to others. Sure would make the dress-up aspect a lot more fun...

Captura is easily my favorite Photo Mode, though:

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread