Telltale likely to shut down (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, September 22, 2018, 11:23 (2041 days ago)

So Telltale laid off all their staff except for the bare minimum that is required to meet their legal obligations for the near future. The studio is basically dead. There are a few good pieces on why this happened which you can probably google.

But here comes the real question: can I still play my games? Sam & Max for example has a check on startup where it looks at your Telltale login and password to make sure you own the game. A glitch caused this to be non functional for a while (right as I was replaying the game…) and it will not start up.

So this is the true test of the digital strategy. Will folks be able to play their games when the studio closes? Will a patch be issued? We will find out in a few weeks. I have a feeling many of you assuming yes will be proven naive.

Who is assuming yes? Anybody? Anybody at all?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, September 22, 2018, 12:16 (2041 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I have a feeling many of you assuming yes will be proven naive.

I am assuming yes.

by Funkmon @, Saturday, September 22, 2018, 20:49 (2040 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I love telltale games. I have them on GOG and Xbox plus one on Steam iirc and almost never link my telltale account. I normally play offline. There has never once been an issue.

Cody asking if we can play our games is like you asking if you can drive your car without the radio. Telltale accounts are optional, dude. The games are fully functional offline.

I am assuming yes.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, September 22, 2018, 22:59 (2040 days ago) @ Funkmon

I love telltale games. I have them on GOG and Xbox plus one on Steam iirc and almost never link my telltale account. I normally play offline. There has never once been an issue.

Cody asking if we can play our games is like you asking if you can drive your car without the radio. Telltale accounts are optional, dude. The games are fully functional offline.

Untrue. Sam and Max would not launch because i couldn’t log in.

Sam and Max totally works.

by Funkmon @, Sunday, September 23, 2018, 20:50 (2039 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Which one is giving you trouble? I'll record myself installing it and playing it offline.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, September 23, 2018, 21:30 (2039 days ago) @ Funkmon

Which one is giving you trouble? I'll record myself installing it and playing it offline.

While eating a sock and reading the HBO front page? I mean, if you're going to do this - go big right? :P

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, September 24, 2018, 08:40 (2039 days ago) @ Funkmon

Season 2 on OS X. But it works now because the server check works. It was just for a period of a few days it wouldn’t launch. It was already installed but somehow forgot the validation.

Offline Sam and Max

by Funkmon @, Friday, September 28, 2018, 08:36 (2035 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Offline Sam and Max

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, September 28, 2018, 09:41 (2035 days ago) @ Funkmon
edited by Cody Miller, Friday, September 28, 2018, 09:46

Thanks for posting a video of the windows version. I'm on OS X. You are also running the GoG version so no shit it'll work offline. I got my app straight from Telltale, which requires a check in (wish I'd known that before).

You are greeted with this screen on launch, which will yell at you if it can't verify your account and refuse to launch the game:

[image]

Employees got screwed.

by Robot Chickens, Tuesday, September 25, 2018, 14:53 (2038 days ago) @ Cody Miller

More layers unfold. I hope they get what they’re owed.

Employees got screwed.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, September 25, 2018, 15:26 (2038 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

More layers unfold. I hope they get what they’re owed.

With each new story, it sounds more and more like the games industry as a whole is just a shit place to work. The biggest take is that many of these employees at Telltale busted their asses working unpaid overtime to hit deadlines. And clearly the company doesn't give a shit about that when it came time to lay them off and give them what is required.

When the hell is the games industry going to unionize?

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread