Sony finally decided to support crossplay. (Gaming)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, September 26, 2018, 06:28 (2033 days ago)
edited by Korny, Wednesday, September 26, 2018, 06:51

"Beta test" is exclusive to Fortnite, but the floodgates are open.

"Cross platform gameplay, progression, and commerce."

Alright, Bungie, time to let us terrify the Xbox players with that hideous circle armor!

The ULTIMATE faction rally

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Wednesday, September 26, 2018, 06:44 (2033 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

Sony finally decided to support crossplay.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, September 26, 2018, 07:31 (2033 days ago) @ Korny

Alright, Bungie, time to let us terrify the Xbox players with that hideous circle armor!

It would be so amazing for the consoles to play together. Obviously PC has to stay separate. Do it Bungie. Pull your entire eververse team and put them on implementing this.

Or at the VERY LEAST implement cross platform saves.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, September 26, 2018, 08:03 (2033 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Pretty please!

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, September 26, 2018, 08:28 (2033 days ago) @ Kermit

Pretty please!

It’s gonna put some of us in a weird spot, I think. Will we now have six characters? They’d probably have to implement a login screen for us to boot up either account, and keep both sets separate.

Like I was telling some folks the other night, though, I feel more connected to my Xbox characters than the PS4 Guardians (probably because I made them way later, and not whipped up over the course of the first few months that D1 was out), so I’d prefer to build those up instead.
*shrug*
That said, the grind in Forsaken is far too real, so I’ve pretty much gone from leveling six characters to 1 1/2, so it’s probably for the best to keep the accounts completely separate, and just allow crossplay.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, September 26, 2018, 09:08 (2033 days ago) @ Korny

Pretty please!

It’s gonna put some of us in a weird spot, I think. Will we now have six characters? They’d probably have to implement a login screen for us to boot up either account, and keep both sets separate.

Like I was telling some folks the other night, though, I feel more connected to my Xbox characters than the PS4 Guardians (probably because I made them way later, and not whipped up over the course of the first few months that D1 was out), so I’d prefer to build those up instead.
*shrug*
That said, the grind in Forsaken is far too real, so I’ve pretty much gone from leveling six characters to 1 1/2, so it’s probably for the best to keep the accounts completely separate, and just allow crossplay.

I'd gladly retire characters on one platform if cross-saves were allowed.

I know Bungie wants it. They're not the problem.

(They already had it with 360s and XB1s.)

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, September 26, 2018, 08:25 (2033 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Obviously PC has to stay separate.

Why? Both consoles have keyboard and mouse support.

Microsoft recently announced an official Xbox KB+M in partnership with Razer. It’s developer decision whether to include native support, but even with something like XIM, the benefit of using a mouse is easily available.

Honestly, it’s time to drop this attitude that they have to be separate. People are using work arounds anyway.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, September 26, 2018, 08:39 (2033 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Microsoft recently announced an official Xbox KB+M in partnership with Razer. It’s developer decision whether to include native support, but even with something like XIM, the benefit of using a mouse is easily available.

Honestly, it’s time to drop this attitude that they have to be separate. People are using work arounds anyway.

Don't think it has anything to do with KB+M. PC Destiny is working on different systems and software version, with custom tuning and balance.

Also framerate. Even if it was PvE only, the games are just run and balanced differently, and I'm sure it'd be a lot of work to get them to click together. Maybe if MS and Sony get rid of Certification, then we can start making progress.

yep.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, September 26, 2018, 09:06 (2033 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, September 26, 2018, 09:08 (2033 days ago) @ Korny

Don't think it has anything to do with KB+M. PC Destiny is working on different systems and software version, with custom tuning and balance.

Also framerate. Even if it was PvE only, the games are just run and balanced differently, and I'm sure it'd be a lot of work to get them to click together. Maybe if MS and Sony get rid of Certification, then we can start making progress.

Yeah, what Korny said. They are completely different beasts now. And from a software perspective, that would be a nightmare to support those two beasts playing together.

Like letting a lion and and a bear play together... At least 2 lions understand each other and know what they are capable of even if they don't get along.

[Edit]
I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm just saying we are already complaining about current bugs and how long it takes to get patches out... imagine how long it would take if you had to then compare two different patches that are supposed to do the same thing on two different pieces of software that are interacting with each other. You might as well triple the Development and testing time.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, September 26, 2018, 09:32 (2033 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I understand all that, and that’s fine. Although, to be honest, I sort of agree with the typical Cody track of thought here, though. I don’t care how hard it is—other studios manage to make it happen, and Bungie is huge. They should figure it out. It’s not my problem how hard it is. That’s a poor excuse when smaller developers are already getting stuff like this done. Does Bungie want to push games in awesome new directions like they used to, or are they content to sit back and play third string to everyone else like they have been lately?

Normally I see the argument that they need to be separate because of their control methods, which is the real thing I was talking about, and find to be a poor excuse to disallow crossplay.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, September 26, 2018, 09:55 (2033 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I understand all that, and that’s fine. Although, to be honest, I sort of agree with the typical Cody track of thought here, though. I don’t care how hard it is—other studios manage to make it happen, and Bungie is huge. They should figure it out. It’s not my problem how hard it is. That’s a poor excuse when smaller developers are already getting stuff like this done. Does Bungie want to push games in awesome new directions like they used to, or are they content to sit back and play third string to everyone else like they have been lately?

Normally I see the argument that they need to be separate because of their control methods, which is the real thing I was talking about, and find to be a poor excuse to disallow crossplay.

I think other studios manage to make it happen because they planned for it. Switching mid track is much harder because to have to rewrite a lot of core stuff. That might not be the case and they have been itching to do it... but maybe not.

But I don't agree with "Just because other studios did it you should" philosophy. Sure, if something is good maybe thing about it down the road or put it into D3. But something as big as cross platform play between PC and Console... It's going to take time and effort most likely. Just because other studios had a game that might have been built around it, or had different systems or so many other things they sacrificed because they wanted this feature. I think cross platform play would be awesome, but I always think of the cost of that. That's most likely a lot of extra work for something that would be far easier to implement when you write a new engine or network structure for a new game. Like, maybe D3? You waste a ton of time rewriting systems when I want them to add on with content and new systems.

Again, all my personal experience and preferences :D

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, September 26, 2018, 10:18 (2032 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Oh, I’m not asking for them to switch it now. I am saying they should be thinking about it going forward.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, September 26, 2018, 12:13 (2032 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Oh, I’m not asking for them to switch it now. I am saying they should be thinking about it going forward.

Totally agree

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, September 26, 2018, 09:34 (2033 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Because the weapon balance is literally different on the PC version. It’s a different game.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, September 26, 2018, 09:57 (2033 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Because the weapon balance is literally different on the PC version. It’s a different game.

And for good reason. I already feel sorry for the people who will be playing the Xbox version with a keyboard and mouse cause it's gonna feel like shit. Thus the reason they reworked it on PC and why PC players love the feel of it.

by Harmanimus @, Wednesday, September 26, 2018, 11:51 (2032 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Most everything about playing on PC is better. Honestly there are many features that have nothing to do with the direct player input that are where value for PC lies.

Regardless, cross saves at a minimum. I’ll let 6 of my characters go to the flames so that i can hop around systems to play with a mix of people. Even if the FOV will hurt.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, September 26, 2018, 12:14 (2032 days ago) @ Harmanimus

Most everything about playing on PC is better. Honestly there are many features that have nothing to do with the direct player input that are where value for PC lies.

Regardless, cross saves at a minimum. I’ll let 6 of my characters go to the flames so that i can hop around systems to play with a mix of people. Even if the FOV will hurt.

I don't know, using a controller while on my couch with a big TV while also interacting with my wife is pretty great compared to being holed up in my office :D

by Harmanimus @, Wednesday, September 26, 2018, 12:20 (2032 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I run my computer on a TV. Just gotta make sure the specs work for what you’re doing. And you’re wasting the TV space with the console FOV (unless they gave us the ability to modify that on consoles in a recent patch) - not saying a couch isn’t nice. But I would personally assess that you’re missing out.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, September 26, 2018, 15:32 (2032 days ago) @ Harmanimus

I run my computer on a TV. Just gotta make sure the specs work for what you’re doing. And you’re wasting the TV space with the console FOV (unless they gave us the ability to modify that on consoles in a recent patch) - not saying a couch isn’t nice. But I would personally assess that you’re missing out.

I run my PC on my game room tv. I have a coffee table that raises up to desk level in front of the couch. I got rid of my desk when I got that. It's great for eating while watching football too.

+1

by TheeChaos @, Wednesday, September 26, 2018, 12:39 (2032 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV
edited by TheeChaos, Wednesday, September 26, 2018, 13:05

I agree, couch gaming is better (for me).

The feel of a controller in a shooter just feels right. Not so much clickin on a keyboard. I do that all day at work. Biggest argument I get is "You can use a controller on PC too" but then I'm at a direct disadvantage. On PS4, its a level playing field for the most part.

EDIT: Also being able to play/move around with a controller is easier than moving KB&M and arguably required as a Dad of Destiny.

+1

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, September 26, 2018, 13:01 (2032 days ago) @ TheeChaos

Biggest argument I get is "You can use a controller on PC too" but then I'm at a direct disadvantage. On PS4, its a level playing field for the most part.

Good skill-based matchmaking would make that a non-issue for all but the absolute best controller players. Keyboard+mice players would naturally filter towards the top of the pool, with controller players mostly being below that. Sure, you'd get the odd poor kb+m and the really good controller users, so there'd be quite a bit of mixing, but, as long as the matchmaking was good, you'd be playing with people you could compete with, no matter which input method they used.

+1

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, September 26, 2018, 13:11 (2032 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Biggest argument I get is "You can use a controller on PC too" but then I'm at a direct disadvantage. On PS4, its a level playing field for the most part.

Good skill-based matchmaking would make that a non-issue for all but the absolute best controller players. Keyboard+mice players would naturally filter towards the top of the pool, with controller players mostly being below that. Sure, you'd get the odd poor kb+m and the really good controller users, so there'd be quite a bit of mixing, but, as long as the matchmaking was good, you'd be playing with people you could compete with, no matter which input method they used.

In Destiny's case, there's more to the control differences than the input method. Recoil works completely differently on PC than it does on console. When they first started playing PC builds of the Destiny engine, they found the recoil mechanics lead to a frustrating experience on PC (players constantly needed to lift their mouse and drag down in tiny increments to compensate for the recoil), so the mechanics were fully altered. That's part of why PC players seem to have such god-like aim when you watch youtube footage of them playing. Yes, there are really good, and yes, mouse+keyboard offers more precision than a controller, but it is also mechanically easier to aim at the level of the PC game engine.

+1

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, September 26, 2018, 13:22 (2032 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

In Destiny's case, there's more to the control differences than the input method. Recoil works completely differently on PC than it does on console. When they first started playing PC builds of the Destiny engine, they found the recoil mechanics lead to a frustrating experience on PC (players constantly needed to lift their mouse and drag down in tiny increments to compensate for the recoil), so the mechanics were fully altered. That's part of why PC players seem to have such god-like aim when you watch youtube footage of them playing. Yes, there are really good, and yes, mouse+keyboard offers more precision than a controller, but it is also mechanically easier to aim at the level of the PC game engine.

I wonder how all that plays out for the few people that might play Destiny 2 on PC with a controller.

+1

by Burchie, Wednesday, September 26, 2018, 14:47 (2032 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I wonder how all that plays out for the few people that might play Destiny 2 on PC with a controller.

I am a pretty casual player, nearly all PvE, mostly solo, but I enjoy playing more on my PC with a controller on my TV. When I use my xBox controller on PC the game switches the interface to make it the same as xBox. Button names instead of keys, round pointer in UI instead of arrow. I don’t notice significant differences playing compared to xBox when it comes to weapon handling, except the general 60 FPS difference.

But I’m not the right person to get scientific on it and notice every detail.

Works out great

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, September 27, 2018, 06:19 (2032 days ago) @ cheapLEY

You get killed more often long range than back in the Xbox, but I think they tweaked the magnetism on controllers for PC, because I also get some crazy headshots now.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, September 26, 2018, 13:24 (2032 days ago) @ Korny

I am actually surprised.

Per Kotaku

And here’s an Activision-Blizzard rep, replying to questions about any plans for Destiny and Black Ops cross-platform play with PlayStation (and presumably our Overwatch and Diablo inquiries, which were posed to Blizzard PR, as well): “We’ve had a great experience with cross-play for Hearthstone on other platforms and have witnessed how compelling it can be for our community. There’s still a lot of work to do on both our side and the platform side to understand whether cross-play might be integrated into our other games, so we’ll be watching the upcoming test and will assess what the potential impact of this feature would be for our players and our games.”

[image]

As long as Console Exclusives exist, this would suck

by Robot Chickens, Wednesday, September 26, 2018, 15:10 (2032 days ago) @ Korny

Reason 1:

Imagine dropping into D1Y1 crucible. You play on xbox and the other team is loaded up with Hawkmoons. Good luck guardian! The solution may be ensure that the exclusive suck. But then the people who got them would feel like they weren't rewarded for their earlier choices, at which point why have them?

Reason 2:

Terrible UI challenges. You've got a group of friends and you want to play the exclusive strike. Does it give you that terrible message that not all players have the appropriate content? Is this because of cross-platform stuff or is it because some haven't purchased the latest DLC. How many error messages do you want users to get over the course of playing? At some point this will negatively impact the user's evaluation of the value of the game. Right now, this stuff is mostly hidden unless you look for it.

TLDR Exclusives suck.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, September 26, 2018, 15:35 (2032 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

I'm more of the "Let's just celebrate if we get it, and suss out the details later" line of thinking, but yeh, it's weird to think about how this will work. Do they just lock you out of exclusives If you're playing with Xbox people?

Is that fair to people to be locked out of their own content?

What about weapons? On the one hand, it isn't an issue on paper, since all weapons have been balanced, and can be countered, but something like Wavesplitter is kind of broken in Gambit at the moment, though luckily not too many people have it (once Simulant gets hit with a nerf though, watch out). But it can't be fair for Xbox people to go up against it, and being unable to weild it in any capacity.

Can you opt out of it in PvP so that you're only matched with same-console players?
What if you were able to log onto your Xbox characters on PS4. Would they be locked out of your exclusive gear?

The Broodhold strike has an exclusive Wanted target. Would Xbox people simply be unable to complete that Bounty?

All in all, I just hope Bungie allows it in any capacity.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, September 26, 2018, 16:15 (2032 days ago) @ Korny

This is all why cross-saves seems like the easier solution. I don't mind switching consoles to play with different groups of people--it'd just be nice if I didn't have to relevel on PS4. And with the Forsaken grind, there's no chance of that happening any time soon.

If you bring Xbox characters over to PS4, sure, you can use the exclusives (you still have to buy the game on the second platform after all), they just don't go with you when you go back to Xbox.

At least until exclusivity expires

by Harmanimus @, Wednesday, September 26, 2018, 16:56 (2032 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, September 26, 2018, 18:08 (2032 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

This is why cross platform saves is the way to go for now. Not sure why it wasn't a thing from the beginning. Since your character is stored on Bungie's servers, it should be platform agnostic anyway.

Because of who is getting a cut of the Silver Transactions.

by Harmanimus @, Thursday, September 27, 2018, 08:58 (2032 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, September 28, 2018, 18:39 (2030 days ago) @ Harmanimus

But that is something trackable. Silver-based purchases are locked to platform, and Silver Dust doesn’t transfer between accounts.

by cheapLEY @, Friday, September 28, 2018, 20:36 (2030 days ago) @ Korny

But that is something trackable. Silver-based purchases are locked to platform, and Silver Dust doesn’t transfer between accounts.

It couldn't work like that. They can't lock Eververse stuff to platform. What happens when I take my character to PS4 and I'm using Eververse shaders? Keep in mind, those can be bought with Bright Dust, which means real money. What if the ship I'm using is Eververse? Exotic ornaments? Armor set? You end up taking a character over with bunch of unusable items equipped. Now how does the game handle that? Automatically unequip it? Vault it? Does it even show up if it's something I can't use?

If you lock Eververse to the platform it was purchased on, half the shit in the game can't be transferred.

Both sides would probably still just be better off to just let it ride. If I was going to make a Silver purchase, I'd just do it on whatever console I happened to playing on at that particular time (assuming that all just stays with your character between platforms). It's not like I'd take the time to log out of my PS4, turn on my Xbox, load up the game, then make a Silver purchase and buy whatever items I wanted. I bet it would mostly even out if they just let that go.

Fortnite doesn't lock purchased cosmetics to platform, as far as I know. If I buy a skin on Xbox, if I fire it up on Switch or PC, I still have those cosmetics.

by Harmanimus @, Saturday, September 29, 2018, 12:08 (2029 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Logically a split deal makes more sense where all invested parties collect a small portion on Silver purchases. More to whoever processed the transaction.

If cross-saves happened I'd definitely pick up PS4 and PC

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, September 27, 2018, 09:54 (2032 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

by CaneCutter @, Alabama, Thursday, September 27, 2018, 17:30 (2031 days ago) @ Korny

Hey. So, uh. Hi. Uhhhh. It's been a while. Hahahahahaha.... *Ahem*

So, shamelessly, I'm here to post my Epic account name in hopes of playing with some Xbox peeps on a certain Epic game.

IICaneCutterII. (Those are "eyes" in front and back)

Also, on topic, this is extremely exciting. I'd gladly pay for Xbox Destiny 2 (especially on a fire sale) to play with my old B.Org folks. It's been entirely too long.

Sorry for the spam!

*shuffles back into secluded hiding spot*

- CC

CAAAAAANE

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Friday, September 28, 2018, 07:03 (2031 days ago) @ CaneCutter

Wow, man! It's been a minute! Looking forward to catching up and playing with you soon! :)

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread