Raid Encounter 3 *SP* (Destiny)

by breitzen @, Kansas, Friday, October 12, 2018, 08:20 (2021 days ago)

I had a lot of fun with this encounter. My recommendation, use Whisper:

Here's the actual damage phase that gif is from:

And here is our successful run (where I didn't even use Whisper):

He might have been one phase-able for us if we had all been using Whisper. Gonna have to test that out sometime.

Raid Encounter 3 *SP*

by TheeChaos @, Friday, October 12, 2018, 08:35 (2021 days ago) @ breitzen

Good work! Hoping my crew can get through this encounter tonight.

Also looks like you are having some good RNG with raid weapons. I only get legs and bad roll rocket launchers =/

Raid Encounter 3 *SP*

by breitzen @, Kansas, Friday, October 12, 2018, 08:40 (2021 days ago) @ TheeChaos

Good work! Hoping my crew can get through this encounter tonight.

Also looks like you are having some good RNG with raid weapons. I only get legs and bad roll rocket launchers =/

Yeah... I haven't received a duplicate yet, I've gotten:

Helmet
Robes
Bond
Masterworked Scout Rifle
Pulse Rifle
Auto Rifle
Rocket Launcher

(that includes two runs of the first encounter and two three secret chests)

Raid Encounter 3 *SP*

by TheeChaos @, Friday, October 12, 2018, 08:44 (2021 days ago) @ breitzen

NICE!

I have always had bad RNG for Raid gear so I am used to it now. It took me about 15 Kings Fall runs to get 1 helmet.

So far I have:

2 boots, second one lower than the first
1 helmet
2 Apex Predators w/ mega terrible rolls

Raid Encounter 3 *SP*

by breitzen @, Kansas, Friday, October 12, 2018, 08:49 (2021 days ago) @ TheeChaos

NICE!

I have always had bad RNG for Raid gear so I am used to it now. It took me about 15 Kings Fall runs to get 1 helmet.

I had terrible luck in D1 raids. I've been very lucky in D2.

So far I have:

2 boots, second one lower than the first
1 helmet
2 Apex Predators w/ mega terrible rolls

Luckily the first encounter is pretty easy once you know what you're doing. So getting a drop there and then the first hidden chest should give people at least two drops a week even if they don't want to do (or have time to do) the full Raid.

Raid Encounter 3 *SP*

by TheeChaos @, Friday, October 12, 2018, 08:51 (2021 days ago) @ breitzen

Luckily the first encounter is pretty easy once you know what you're doing. So getting a drop there and then the first hidden chest should give people at least two drops a week even if they don't want to do (or have time to do) the full Raid.

Yep! We one phased the first encounter last week with 2 first timers. I am honestly more concerned with getting gear than raid completions at this point.

Second encounter is easy too, just mishaps here and there.

Raid Encounter 3 *SP*

by breitzen @, Kansas, Friday, October 12, 2018, 08:53 (2021 days ago) @ TheeChaos

Yep! We one phased the first encounter last week with 2 first timers. I am honestly more concerned with getting gear than raid completions at this point.

Second encounter is easy too, just mishaps here and there.

I'm mostly worried about running the second encounter with two or more first-timers. The puzzle rooms can really ef you up if you're not careful.

Raid Encounter 3 *SP*

by TheeChaos @, Friday, October 12, 2018, 09:01 (2021 days ago) @ breitzen

Agreed, the better we got with adds/crystal phase, we found we would usually reach the picture room with 1:15 or so left. Focus on clearing out the first set off adds, then we just couldnt get a rhythm going on the pictures. We would haev people jump on too soon then off, die, etc.

the strategy we ended up using was similar to the door strategy with counting from left to right, top to bottom. Have people claiming 1-4. other guys focus on adds.

So find your node, get beside it, call out "1 ready, 2 ready" until all 4 are by the plates, when we heard 4 ready we call jump and get on then rotate. Before we came up with that method it was a real gagglef*ck. Having to switch nodes on the fly was a pain too.

I would say having 2 new people, I would just put them on add control. so they can see how it works. Now that people are higher light the adds are a breeze, unless you get trapped in some Taken Knight fire of doom.

Raid Encounter 3 *SP*

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Friday, October 12, 2018, 09:10 (2021 days ago) @ TheeChaos

the strategy we ended up using was similar to the door strategy with counting from left to right, top to bottom. Have people claiming 1-4. other guys focus on adds.

So find your node, get beside it, call out "1 ready, 2 ready" until all 4 are by the plates, when we heard 4 ready we call jump and get on then rotate. Before we came up with that method it was a real gagglef*ck. Having to switch nodes on the fly was a pain too.

This is basically the same thing we did, except that 4 was responsible for checking if everyone was in position and then calling for people to get on. Occasionally, someone would jump on too early which could probably be solved with a countdown.

EDIT: Those jumping on were also responsible for figuring out if they had already been on a plate once and calling "switch top-left" or whatever. One of the people responsible for clearing adds would then come take over that position.

Reminder to our blind team!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, October 12, 2018, 09:33 (2021 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

We haven't beat this guy yet! (But I guess we've come close enough.)

I was avoiding this thread.

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Friday, October 12, 2018, 10:20 (2021 days ago) @ Kermit

We've definitely gotten the mechanics worked out, though. We just haven't been able to execute. The only thing left to be spoiled is whether or not he's got a "final stand" phase and what happens when he dies.

-Disciple

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, October 12, 2018, 10:25 (2021 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

We've definitely gotten the mechanics worked out, though. We just haven't been able to execute. The only thing left to be spoiled is whether or not he's got a "final stand" phase and what happens when he dies.

-Disciple

True enough. And I realized after I replied that Blacktiger's response was really about the encounter before. (I wasn't reading too closely. :))

I like our strategy for the puzzle pieces quite a bit.

by squidnh3, Friday, October 12, 2018, 11:29 (2021 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

-Disciple

I had a whole bunch more thoughts about how to improve our strategy this morning, so get ready!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, October 12, 2018, 12:20 (2021 days ago) @ squidnh3

-Disciple

I had a whole bunch more thoughts about how to improve our strategy this morning, so get ready!

Our team's secret sauce: brainstorm while showering each morning. ;-)

Raid Encounter 3 *SP*

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Friday, October 12, 2018, 09:11 (2021 days ago) @ TheeChaos

Agreed, the better we got with adds/crystal phase, we found we would usually reach the picture room with 1:15 or so left. Focus on clearing out the first set off adds, then we just couldnt get a rhythm going on the pictures. We would haev people jump on too soon then off, die, etc.

I would say having 2 new people, I would just put them on add control. so they can see how it works. Now that people are higher light the adds are a breeze, unless you get trapped in some Taken Knight fire of doom.

Hmm... I think I like that numbering system better than the directional callouts we've been using...

Raid Encounter 3 *SP*

by TheeChaos @, Friday, October 12, 2018, 09:15 (2021 days ago) @ Speedracer513
edited by TheeChaos, Friday, October 12, 2018, 09:32

It was Kupkake's idea. It translated really well from the first encounter door system we had, so it kept it familiar.

We tried the directional/having people claim certain sides but it got all out of wack.

There was only 2 or 3 times in our 8 or so runs last week where we had to swap nodes. But we had plenty of time, so we would get to our designated node based on the order, then look around and swap, THEN call jump. It can still get hectic and people do make mistakes but we were consistently getting past them at that point.

Did anyone else notice if you stand/touch your node without jumping on that it would count as if you were on it? Seemed to happen quite a few times causing some wipes. One time we came into a room and only had 3 blocks on the picture right as we entered the room, the last one didnt show until 3 seconds were left.

Raid Encounter 3 *SP*

by cheapLEY @, Friday, October 12, 2018, 09:21 (2021 days ago) @ TheeChaos

Did anyone else notice if you stand/touch your node without jumping on that it would count as if you were on it? Seemed to happen quite a few times causing some wipes. One time we came into a room and only had blocks on the picture right as we entered the room, the last one didnt show until 3 seconds were left.

Yeah, they are touchy. Don’t jump over any, as that can activate them. They also seem to activate randomly if you get too close.

As for rotations—we just had one of the focus on ad control as the designated switcher. We’d just call out for a rotate on right-middle or whatever position and he would come in. Due to the 90 degree rotation, there’s always random cases where that might put the switcher on the same plate. If two people need to rotate, they usually just swapped. As long as you get in there with over a minute left and your crew is paying enough attention to know they’re going to have to jump on the same plate, you can probably just figure it out on the fly.

Raid Encounter 3 *SP*

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, October 12, 2018, 10:27 (2021 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Hmm... I think I like that numbering system better than the directional callouts we've been using...

I was watching you guys and I can attest: it's better. :)

Lies! Lies & Slander! Lies, Slander, & Libel!

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, October 12, 2018, 11:12 (2021 days ago) @ Kermit

Our system worked perfectly. We never made any mistakes. Certainly we never disagreed upon whether we were rotating the room, the floor tiles, the pictures on the wall, clocks not actually present, time zones, and daylight savings time was not even once mentioned.

Also, did I mention lies?

Good.

Raid Encounter 3 *SP*

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Friday, October 12, 2018, 09:13 (2021 days ago) @ TheeChaos

One thing our team did to speed this part up a bit, was to just have #4, who should be at the bottom of the formation and able to see the three other players and the picture, make the call to jump on when they see that everyone is in place and ready to hop on.

-Disciple

Edit: Doh! Blackt1g3r beat me to it :p

In regards to teaching newbies:

by cheapLEY @, Friday, October 12, 2018, 09:13 (2021 days ago) @ TheeChaos

You can climb the rocks and get into the encounter space without starting it. We did that and walked the two new people through the space and explained things.

Granted, our new people were CruelLEGACEY and nuumie, so there likely really wouldn’t have been any issues anyway. But it seems helpful to explain the Oracle rooms with that visual aid.

boss name (*SP*)

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, October 12, 2018, 10:15 (2021 days ago) @ breitzen

More like swolgoroth

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread