Raid Encounter #3 *SP* (Destiny)

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Tuesday, October 16, 2018, 10:25 (2018 days ago)

CheapLEY's Perspective

We finished encounter #3 last night. Our strategy was to split 3 each left/right. Two people on each side are responsible for picking up the Taken strength (never have more than 2x Taken strength or you die!). The other people are responsible for collecting one of the Orbs dropped by the Eye of Riven captains when needed. After two captains appear (could be both on one side or one on each) someone will become frozen at which point one of the orbs needs to be carried over to that person, then the grenade button pressed to "cleanse them". The orb carrier will now have the taken strength of the person cleansed (usually 2x). Then the cleansed player continues picking up strength. The final taken strength appears back in the center and once all of the strength is collected then the damage phase starts. There will always be two times that players are frozen so both orb carriers will need to cleanse.

We two-phased the boss by saving one of the captain orbs for a player to super the boss and prevent a wipe. Everyone else focused on damage. After supering the boss with the orb it's basically just rinse and repeat.

That said, once you are over 570 with a raid team that all have whisper it's clearly possible to one-phase the boss and ignore the captain orbs.

You don't necessarily need to cleanse frozen players. Instead you could just revive them (plenty of tokens to do so) and immediately try to pick up the strength as it reappears after they die. With high enough light you could quite easily recover and then one-phase the boss.

Raid Encounter #3 *SP*

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, October 16, 2018, 10:30 (2018 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

I don’t know why, but the party audio is a garbled mess in my stream. It sounded fine while playing. I do get some pops and crackles occasionally, but I thought that was because of my hacked together mic/headset setup had a loose connection somewhere.

Raid Encounter #3 *SP*

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Tuesday, October 16, 2018, 10:37 (2018 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Disciple's audio seemed the same for some reason.

Raid Encounter #3 *SP*

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Tuesday, October 16, 2018, 10:51 (2018 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Disciple's audio seemed the same for some reason.

All four minutes of it :p

I still can't believe I didn't notice that the stream stopped before we even started the encounter. As much as I dislike Mixer, it's never just stopped working for no reason. I can pretty much count on the Twich app failing once before I can count on it to save a full raid run.

Also, I just noticed I never opted in to include my audio in Cheapley's stream :(

-Disciple

Raid Encounter #3 *SP*

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, October 16, 2018, 12:53 (2018 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

I just watched it on Twitch. I didn't hear any oddness in the audio, but I had the volume pretty low.

Raid Encounter #3 *SP*

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, October 16, 2018, 12:58 (2018 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

CheapLEY's Perspective

We finished encounter #3 last night. Our strategy was to split 3 each left/right. Two people on each side are responsible for picking up the Taken strength (never have more than 2x Taken strength or you die!). The other people are responsible for collecting one of the Orbs dropped by the Eye of Riven captains when needed. After two captains appear (could be both on one side or one on each) someone will become frozen at which point one of the orbs needs to be carried over to that person, then the grenade button pressed to "cleanse them". The orb carrier will now have the taken strength of the person cleansed (usually 2x). Then the cleansed player continues picking up strength. The final taken strength appears back in the center and once all of the strength is collected then the damage phase starts. There will always be two times that players are frozen so both orb carriers will need to cleanse.

We two-phased the boss by saving one of the captain orbs for a player to super the boss and prevent a wipe. Everyone else focused on damage. After supering the boss with the orb it's basically just rinse and repeat.

That said, once you are over 570 with a raid team that all have whisper it's clearly possible to one-phase the boss and ignore the captain orbs.

You don't necessarily need to cleanse frozen players. Instead you could just revive them (plenty of tokens to do so) and immediately try to pick up the strength as it reappears after they die. With high enough light you could quite easily recover and then one-phase the boss.

I'm for doing it in one round if it's easy--like, one try easy. On the other hand, I suspect acquiring the habit of using the orb will pay dividends later on.

Raid Encounter #3 *SP*

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, October 16, 2018, 21:55 (2018 days ago) @ Kermit

I'm for doing it in one round if it's easy--like, one try easy. On the other hand, I suspect acquiring the habit of using the orb will pay dividends later on.

This encounter is the one I'm the least confident in our execution of. It honestly seems very easy to one-phase, which I suspect may be the popular method going forward.

I think we understand the mechanics well enough, but we never competently made it through more than one phase.

Then again, I feel like this encounter actively encourages a one-phase strategy. It gets more difficult every round, almost like it's punishing us for not killing the boss the first time around.

Raid Encounter #3 *SP*

by Chappy, Arlington, VA., Wednesday, October 17, 2018, 06:52 (2017 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Then again, I feel like this encounter actively encourages a one-phase strategy.

Agreed. I'd strongly recommend having a Titan with a Banner Shield; throw that up and fire your whispers through it for extra damage and protection from the axion darts. Five Whispers can melt since his crit spot is so large.

-Chappy

Raid Encounter #3 *SP*

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, October 17, 2018, 07:11 (2017 days ago) @ Chappy

Then again, I feel like this encounter actively encourages a one-phase strategy.

Agreed. I'd strongly recommend having a Titan with a Banner Shield; throw that up and fire your whispers through it for extra damage and protection from the axion darts. Five Whispers can melt since his crit spot is so large.

-Chappy

We tried that once, but it was before we were actually comfortable in getting to the damage phase with good time left, and we only had two or three Whispers at that point.

Does the Banner Shield provide enough of a buff to beat just having an extra Whisper? We were standing in a Well of Radiance every time.

Raid Encounter #3 *SP*

by Chappy, Arlington, VA., Wednesday, October 17, 2018, 07:25 (2017 days ago) @ cheapLEY

-Chappy

We tried that once, but it was before we were actually comfortable in getting to the damage phase with good time left, and we only had two or three Whispers at that point.

Does the Banner Shield provide enough of a buff to beat just having an extra Whisper? We were standing in a Well of Radiance every time.

Banner shield is 25%, so 5 people shooting through it is a little better than whatever he can put out alone. While the extra damage is nice, I think the real benefit is that it blocks the Axion Darts so no one needs to shoot those or worry about them - everyone other than the Titan can just focus on their damage output. If you've got a Warlock, definitely throw down a Well for more damage since they stack.

-Chappy

Raid Encounter #3 *SP*

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, October 17, 2018, 08:00 (2017 days ago) @ Chappy

After the first few runs, we never really had trouble with the Axion Darts. It seemed like if you back up far enough down the bridge where the raid banner is they don’t really bother you.

Raid Encounter #3 *SP*

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Wednesday, October 17, 2018, 09:30 (2017 days ago) @ cheapLEY

After the first few runs, we never really had trouble with the Axion Darts. It seemed like if you back up far enough down the bridge where the raid banner is they don’t really bother you.

I think most of the time farther back was just safer because the orbs were targeting someone who was farther forward. I was definitely chased all the way off the back of the bridge by the orbs on Monday, so they definitely don't have a limit to how far they'll travel.

-Disciple

Raid Encounter #3 *SP*

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Wednesday, October 17, 2018, 08:58 (2017 days ago) @ Chappy

-Chappy

Banner shield is 25%, so 5 people shooting through it is a little better than whatever he can put out alone. While the extra damage is nice, I think the real benefit is that it blocks the Axion Darts so no one needs to shoot those or worry about them - everyone other than the Titan can just focus on their damage output. If you've got a Warlock, definitely throw down a Well for more damage since they stack.

-Chappy

When we tried it previously we did _way_ less damage than if I just helped. That's likely to do with having fewer whispers and being at lower light levels. I think I was one of the higher light level players at the time. Also, I think it's kind of hard to block the darts. Might have just been a lag thing but they seemed to go straight through my shield mostly.

Raid Encounter #3 *SP*

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, October 17, 2018, 07:40 (2017 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

How easily, would you say? My (non-blind) team went for Well of Radiance right between Morgreth's legs and shotguns, with Whisper/Sleeper as a backup once the ammo runs out and we were close to wiping, but did it first time. No clue what the damage distribution was.

Raid Encounter #3 *SP*

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Wednesday, October 17, 2018, 09:01 (2017 days ago) @ ZackDark

How easily, would you say? My (non-blind) team went for Well of Radiance right between Morgreth's legs and shotguns, with Whisper/Sleeper as a backup once the ammo runs out and we were close to wiping, but did it first time. No clue what the damage distribution was.

Why would you go under the boss? I mean, I know he doesn't stomp, but his crit spot is on the top isn't it?

If everyone has Whisper you should be able to 1-phase the boss if Taken Strength is 50% or less. With his giant crit spot it's quite easy to fire Whisper as fast as possible and hit all critical spots. Also, with the bugfix this week you can drop a rally barricade to refill ammo on the off chance you miss.

Raid Encounter #3 *SP*

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, October 17, 2018, 15:36 (2017 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Why would you go under the boss? I mean, I know he doesn't stomp, but his crit spot is on the top isn't it?

It still was easy enough to hit them and auto-firing shotguns (Badlander, Perfect Paradox, etc) have more DPS than Whisper. Allied with a bottomless clip (rally barricade or luna-wells), goes pretty fast, if everyone is decently-leveled, I guess.

If everyone has Whisper you should be able to 1-phase the boss if Taken Strength is 50% or less. With his giant crit spot it's quite easy to fire Whisper as fast as possible and hit all critical spots. Also, with the bugfix this week you can drop a rally barricade to refill ammo on the off chance you miss.

I guess. I'll have to try that out one day. Seems like no one wants to "risk" it on PC...

Raid Encounter #3 *SP*

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, October 22, 2018, 09:25 (2012 days ago) @ ZackDark

It still was easy enough to hit them and auto-firing shotguns (Badlander, Perfect Paradox, etc) have more DPS than Whisper. Allied with a bottomless clip (rally barricade or luna-wells), goes pretty fast, if everyone is decently-leveled, I guess.

I guess. I'll have to try that out one day. Seems like no one wants to "risk" it on PC...

I think it's funny that PC players are worried about risking using a sniper rifle with virtually no gun recoil and instead resort to going in point blank with a shotgun. Aren't you use to dominating with "high recoil" weapons?

*shrugs* apparently, not enough

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, October 22, 2018, 22:54 (2012 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

- No text -

Raid Encounter #3 *SP* (one phase)

by breitzen @, Kansas, Thursday, October 18, 2018, 06:01 (2016 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Last night we one phased Morgeth with a combo of:

• 4 Whispers
  • 1 Sleeper
  • A couple supers (GG & NB I think)
  • Well of Radiance + Banner Shield

Here is the result:

Ah, the machine gun sounds of multiple whispers

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Monday, October 22, 2018, 12:28 (2012 days ago) @ breitzen

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread