The Shattered Throne (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, October 17, 2018, 13:09 (2011 days ago)
edited by CruelLEGACEY, Wednesday, October 17, 2018, 13:14

When the Shattered Throne first appeared 3 weeks ago, I was waaaaaaay below the Dungeon’s recommended level of 590 (I was ~550 at the time). Still, I spent some time in the dungeon over the course of that week. I cheesed my way to a couple loot drops, started the “Wish Ender” quest, spent a few hours getting crushed by the mid boss and final boss. I never “completed” it, but I got to see most of what it had to offer.

Last night, The Shattered Throne opened back up again. Now that my power level is up over 590, I decided to give it a proper try, solo. It was an incredible experience. I didn’t know my way around well enough for anything to feel routine. Even though I’m over 590, the enemies are still dangerous enough that I needed to play carefully, and move slowly (the checkpoints in the dungeon can be punishing... there are checkpoints, but they’re so far apart that death can easily mean losing 15-20 minutes progress, if you’re moving slowly). Nevertheless, I found the difficulty hit a perfect sweet spot for me. The enemies were deadly. I needed to take every single one of them seriously. And the encounters are often built in ways that require you to deal with them in large groups, all at once. I needed to kill them quickly, before they could overwhelm me. And THAT made ME feel powerful. This wasn’t like the “find a cheap camping spot and slowly wearing down a bullet-sponge boss” early days of Destiny. This was going up against enemies who move and attack quickly, and the only way to get past them is to move faster and to be even deadlier than they are.

This specific breed of difficulty mixed perfectly with the atmosphere of the dungeon. It’s dark, mysterious, maze-like. Simply traversing through it can be perilous, even without any enemies present. I’ve made this comparison before, but this is the first time any activity in Destiny has recaptured the particular feelings of dangerous exploration and unsettling wonder that I got from VoG. If anything, Shattered Throne might even surpass VoG for me, along those dimensions.

I solo’d my way to the mid Boss, including the secret mini-Boss encounters that require carting orbs and planting them in statues. Getting through that thrall-way while carying an orb, with no teammates to help, and the knowledge that I only had 1 chance to pull it off, was INTENSE. But I made it to the Ogre. I attempted that fight solo, and to my surprise, I did better than I thought I would. If I’d banged my head against it for a couple more hours, I think I could make it through. But it was late, and I wanted to get through the whole thing, so I went to LFG to find a group.

We started back at the beginning so we could do the whole thing as a team. With 3 guardians in the 580-590 range, the tension is certainly toned down a bit. But not as much as I thought it would be. There were moments when the 3 of us would stramroll over a particular mini boss or encounter, but even then, it was clear that we were only 1 bad turn away from getting torn apart. Every encounter felt like it could go bad at any moment. We got back to the mid Boss, and sloppily, imperfectly, pressed our way through and onward. All 3 of us got our Wish Ender bows after that battle, and took them into the final stretch of the Dungeon.

(Side note: I’ve gotta say, it was a disappointing moment for me when only 2-3 minutes after getting my Wish Ender, I put it away and re-equipped my No Turning Back bow. It seems to hit harder, and the Explosive Head perk is actually better for damaging multiple opponents than Wish Ender’s overpenetration perk. I was really hoping Wish Ender would feel special, but I can’t think of a reason to ever use it over my other bows, other than shooting Crystals. It does sound awesome, though).

Not long after, we arrived at the final boss. It was one of the most unique boss fight experiences I’ve had in Destiny. The whole thing was over in about 20-30 seconds. But in that short time, both of my teammates died, and I spent most of the fight with almost no health. It reminded me of an old samurai movie, where sword fights between masters might be over in 2 or 3 swings, and leave both fighters dead. The challenge of the fight wasn’t achieved through time-gated DPS phases or rediculously complicated mechanics. You’re in a small room with very little cover, and multiple dangerous opponents. The only way to win is to be even more dangerous than the bosses. I can’t stress enough how fun and refreshing I find this kind of boss fight, especially in contrast to the direction that raid-bosses have gone over time (imho, the recent raids are dangerously close to jumping the shark in terms of boss mechanics).

All this to say that I love The Shattered Throne. I think it’s right up there with the very best Destiny content that Bungie has made, and I really hope we see more dungeons in the not-too-distant future.

Wish-Ender Could be better

by TheeChaos @, Wednesday, October 17, 2018, 13:24 (2011 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Good Write up!!

It is pretty cool when you aren't getting 1 shotted by hobgobs.

Wish-Ender could definitely use a tune up. The Overpenetration DOES do extra damage on single targets, as it does damage on entry and exit (not sure if you caught that). So as far as Single Target DPS it is very strong.

But then you have Trinity Ghoul that has some very exotic and useful perks. As tough as it was to unlock, I don't use it except to open Corrupted Eggs. The See-through-walls perk has its uses in PVP, but PVP is so fast paced since the update, the SLOW Rate-of-fire puts it behind subtle calamity, even if you can see through the walls.

The ornament makes it look badass though!

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, October 17, 2018, 13:50 (2011 days ago) @ TheeChaos

Good Write up!!

It is pretty cool when you aren't getting 1 shotted by hobgobs.

Wish-Ender could definitely use a tune up. The Overpenetration DOES do extra damage on single targets, as it does damage on entry and exit (not sure if you caught that). So as far as Single Target DPS it is very strong.

But then you have Trinity Ghoul that has some very exotic and useful perks. As tough as it was to unlock, I don't use it except to open Corrupted Eggs. The See-through-walls perk has its uses in PVP, but PVP is so fast paced since the update, the SLOW Rate-of-fire puts it behind subtle calamity, even if you can see through the walls.

The ornament makes it look badass though!

I did see the extra damage on exit, but it doesn’t seem to make much of a practical difference in most cases. No Turning Back will already 1-shot kill most weaker enemies, while also hitting other enemies all around your primary target thanks to Explosive Head (Wish Ender will only hit additional targets if they’re directly behind your primary target, which is less useful than I would have thought). Most stronger enemies have shields, and Wish Ender really struggles against shields. Once again, No Turning Back’s explosive perk actually seems to break through shields quite well. So even though Wish Ender might do more damage per shot against unshielded foes, it is so weak against shields that it feels like I’m putting myself at a disadvantage by equipping it.

For crucible, I’ve been using my Arsenic Bite, with Rampage and Archer’s Tempo. It has a draw-time masterwork which I’ve leveled fully. Its default draw time is 680, but mine is down to 620 thanks to the masterwork, with Archer’s Tempo speeding it up even more. By comparison, Subtle Calamity is 720, No Turning Back is 780, and Wish Ender is 900. So my Arsenic Bite is lightning-quick, it still 2-shots Guardians, and with Rampage active, it comes close to a 1-shot kill. I was using it in competitive last week, and routinely winning gun-fights against Bygones and Go Figures at mid range. We won 10 games in a row, even though Korny was on our team. It’s awesome :)

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, October 17, 2018, 14:05 (2011 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I haven’t seen you online since we played with that rando last week. I’m itching to get some more Comp time in.

Xbox competitive night?

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, October 18, 2018, 06:31 (2011 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I haven’t seen you online since we played with that rando last week. I’m itching to get some more Comp time in.

I'm online most nights, but I've gotten into the bad habit of appearing "offline" while watching netflix, and forgetting to switch it back when I log in to Destiny. I'd love to run more competitive with you as well. Is there a night that's good for you and/or anyone else?

Xbox competitive night?

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, October 18, 2018, 06:37 (2011 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I'm online most nights, but I've gotten into the bad habit of appearing "offline" while watching netflix, and forgetting to switch it back when I log in to Destiny. I'd love to run more competitive with you as well. Is there a night that's good for you and/or anyone else?

I want to play more competitive because I have fun with it as a team, but I don't know if you want to play with me :D

Xbox competitive night?

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, October 18, 2018, 06:39 (2011 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I want to play more competitive because I have fun with it as a team, but I don't know if you want to play with me :D

I'd love to!

Xbox competitive night?

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, October 18, 2018, 13:32 (2010 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I'd love to!

I'll toss my hat into this ring, if anyone will have it. I generally enjoy Competitive (surprisingly, to me), but I mostly have ZERO idea about strats. The (very few) games I've played have been with folks who are light-years above me, skill and experience wise, and I'm basically running behind people, trying to figure out the maps and not get killed. I'd love to actually contribute - but it has to be on teams that are okay with my cluelessness. :)

Xbox competitive night?

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, October 18, 2018, 13:37 (2010 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I'd love to!

I'll toss my hat into this ring, if anyone will have it. I generally enjoy Competitive (surprisingly, to me), but I mostly have ZERO idea about strats. The (very few) games I've played have been with folks who are light-years above me, skill and experience wise, and I'm basically running behind people, trying to figure out the maps and not get killed. I'd love to actually contribute - but it has to be on teams that are okay with my cluelessness. :)

Yeah, that basically defines me as well. Except I'm a better shot.

Can't argue with that.

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, October 18, 2018, 13:38 (2010 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

- No text -

Xbox competitive night?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, October 19, 2018, 11:48 (2009 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Just throwing this in here because it kind of fits. I played a few Iron Banner games last night, and for some reason everyone was 50 light below me at least. I did pretty well. It was novel experience living more than five to ten seconds.

Xbox competitive night?

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, October 18, 2018, 13:41 (2010 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I'm basically in the same boat, but I was surprised at how quickly it felt like I was improving. I've only played three decent nights of Competitive, but when I'm with a good team that communications well, it's easier to sort of find a groove and feel like I'm actually performing well and contributing instead of just being a boat anchor everyone else has to drag around.

Being able to just follow Cruel's lead helps a lot, too. (:

My D2 experience overall:

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Friday, October 19, 2018, 08:55 (2010 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Being able to just follow Cruel's lead helps a lot, too. (:

We were saying this last night. I'm all about the lore, the raids, the challenging quests, and competitive but grinding at the edge is for people that are not me. But count me ready to get sweaty.

Xbox competitive night?

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Thursday, October 18, 2018, 13:53 (2010 days ago) @ Claude Errera

...I'm basically running behind people, trying to figure out the maps and not get killed.

Following a teammate AND trying not to get killed?! You're already better that most of the people I get thrown into Iron Banner with :p

-Disciple

Xbox competitive night?

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, October 18, 2018, 10:41 (2010 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I’ll be around tonight for sure. And mostly any other evening to be honest.

So, Wish Ender is a bit better than I thought...

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, October 18, 2018, 06:38 (2011 days ago) @ TheeChaos

I need to make a bit of a correction to my earlier statements about Wish Ender. I still don't think its amazing, but after spending some time with it in the Dreaming City, it is more powerful than I initially thought. A single shot would rip right through a red-bar Wizard's shield, and take out a good chunk of its health. I also found that I was often able to find positions or angles that would let me line up multiple enemies in a row, and I'd take them all out with a single shot thanks to the over-penetration. Its a very satisfying moment when that happens :)

I still don't think it quite earns the exotic slot. I can't imagine using it over Sleeper, Whisper, Ace of Spades, Tractor Cannon, or a dozen other exotics when I'm in challenging missions. But for running around in patrol or low-level strikes, it can be lots of fun.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, October 18, 2018, 07:02 (2011 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I need to make a bit of a correction to my earlier statements about Wish Ender. I still don't think its amazing, but after spending some time with it in the Dreaming City, it is more powerful than I initially thought. A single shot would rip right through a red-bar Wizard's shield, and take out a good chunk of its health. I also found that I was often able to find positions or angles that would let me line up multiple enemies in a row, and I'd take them all out with a single shot thanks to the over-penetration. Its a very satisfying moment when that happens :)

I still don't think it quite earns the exotic slot. I can't imagine using it over Sleeper, Whisper, Ace of Spades, Tractor Cannon, or a dozen other exotics when I'm in challenging missions. But for running around in patrol or low-level strikes, it can be lots of fun.

I feel like that is how about half of the exotics work. They are totally fun and exotic, but they aren't worth the exotic slot in power.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, October 18, 2018, 07:20 (2011 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I feel like that is how about half of the exotics work. They are totally fun and exotic, but they aren't worth the exotic slot in power.

Very true. And generally speaking, I think that's a good approach. I have certain weapons that I'll go to when I need raw DPS, but lots of others that fit niche roles or are fun in unique ways. I would love to see the "unique" factor cranked up a bit more. I was running Nightfalls with a guy who had just gotten the Black Talon exotic sword... he certainly wasn't doing as much raw damage with it as he could have been doing with his Sleeper, but he was having a blast with it nonetheless. It was awesome to watch, even just from a visual perspective, because it's wave attacks are such a unique visual effect. And it let him play differently than he usually does. Stuff like that is always great.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, October 18, 2018, 07:32 (2011 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Very true. And generally speaking, I think that's a good approach. I have certain weapons that I'll go to when I need raw DPS, but lots of others that fit niche roles or are fun in unique ways. I would love to see the "unique" factor cranked up a bit more. I was running Nightfalls with a guy who had just gotten the Black Talon exotic sword... he certainly wasn't doing as much raw damage with it as he could have been doing with his Sleeper, but he was having a blast with it nonetheless. It was awesome to watch, even just from a visual perspective, because it's wave attacks are such a unique visual effect. And it let him play differently than he usually does. Stuff like that is always great.

Yeah, that's how I feel when I play with Trinity Ghoul. It's hell of a lot of fun when killing groups of red bars and when I do I feel like Zeus. However, I don't think I would ever take it into a raid or anything with lots of orange/yellow bars.

The Shattered Throne

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, October 17, 2018, 13:32 (2011 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

All this to say that I love The Shattered Throne. I think it’s right up there with the very best Destiny content that Bungie has made, and I really hope we see more dungeons in the not-too-distant future.

So why the shit do they put it behind such an insane level grind? I am at 555 right now, so to think about grinding even MORE for this thing which sounds like a cool experience is just heartbreaking.

The Shattered Throne

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Wednesday, October 17, 2018, 13:46 (2011 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I guess because everyone asked for more "end game content". Bungie delivered on that front, but they also bowed down to people who want the "power fantasy" of gaining power to do that end game content which I bet most of us here don't like. I have spoken to some that do enjoy that and I guess Bungie is targeting those people.

The Shattered Throne

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, October 17, 2018, 13:59 (2011 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

I guess because everyone asked for more "end game content". Bungie delivered on that front, but they also bowed down to people who want the "power fantasy" of gaining power to do that end game content which I bet most of us here don't like. I have spoken to some that do enjoy that and I guess Bungie is targeting those people.

End game content should require end game skills, not end game level.

The Shattered Throne

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, October 17, 2018, 14:04 (2011 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

I've been quite vocal about my opinion that Destiny would be a substantially better game if light levels were completely removed. So I sympathize with Cody here. But in Bungie's defense, they have created so much unique content that has trickled out over the past 6 weeks that I've managed to hit 599 without ever feeling like I was mindlessly repeating stuff that I'd rather not do just so I can reach the content I do want to play, which is how Destiny has often made me feel in the past. The weekly story missions in the Dreaming City, the 6 unique ascendant challenges, plus the exotic weapon quests, top-tier spider wanted bounties, crucible and gambit and strikes... I'm having more fun with Destiny since the launch of forsaken than at perhaps any other time.

That said, I'm doing all of this with absolutely no hope or care of doing a blind raid. Nor was I concerned about remaining blind for this Dungeon. I managed to play through the whole Dungeon without having anything spoiled, but I did it haphazardly and out of order before going back and playing the whole thing "properly". For me, it worked out great. But I have also spent a lot of time playing since Forsaken launched. Like, A LOT. So there's really no question that the level grind is HUGE, and for anyone anxious to reach the content trapped on the summit of that climb, its a long and frustrating wait.

The Shattered Throne

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, October 17, 2018, 14:04 (2011 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

(Side note: I’ve gotta say, it was a disappointing moment for me when only 2-3 minutes after getting my Wish Ender, I put it away and re-equipped my No Turning Back bow. It seems to hit harder, and the Explosive Head perk is actually better for damaging multiple opponents than Wish Ender’s overpenetration perk. I was really hoping Wish Ender would feel special, but I can’t think of a reason to ever use it over my other bows, other than shooting Crystals. It does sound awesome, though).

You should definitely raid. I got the curated Tyranny of Heaven bow last night. Fully Masterworked draw time, with Dragonfly. It rules.

The Shattered Throne

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, October 17, 2018, 14:06 (2011 days ago) @ cheapLEY

You should definitely raid. I got the curated Tyranny of Heaven bow last night. Fully Masterworked draw time, with Dragonfly. It rules.

HEAVYBREATHING.JPG

That sounds amazing :D

I'd love to raid more... I'm just waiting for you guys to hurry up and finish your blind run so I can join you more often ;p

The Shattered Throne

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, October 17, 2018, 16:22 (2011 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

What are you doing Saturday? I doubt we'll be done but we've skipped
3 bosses.

The Shattered Throne

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, October 17, 2018, 14:30 (2011 days ago) @ cheapLEY

As dumb as it probably sounds, that thing's going to be my main goal when I do start running the current raid. I really try to keep one of each damage type for a given weapon class, and right now there is NO solar bow other than the raid one, which is really annoying.

The Shattered Throne *SP*

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, October 17, 2018, 16:27 (2011 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

So... what’s the proper way to beat the Wizard and Knights at the end. Either we used up the cleansing table or we broke the game because halfway through it never activated again. We had to strategically die and be revived to clear the Finite Thoughts buff that would have killed us all...

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, October 17, 2018, 21:08 (2011 days ago) @ Ragashingo

So... what’s the proper way to beat the Wizard and Knights at the end. Either we used up the cleansing table or we broke the game because halfway through it never activated again. We had to strategically die and be revived to clear the Finite Thoughts buff that would have killed us all...

I actually have no idea what the mechanics around the cleansing table are. The whole thing was over so fast, I don’t think it came into play. I did notice the table glowing after the fight was over and thought “huh... what’s that?”. I can think of a couple possibilities:

1) perhaps both my teammates dying half way through the fight bypassed the mechanic. They got killed by the knights at about the 10-15 second mark, while I was in the middle of blasting all 3 knights with my hammers. I revived one of them, turned back to hit the knights while my teammate got the 2nd res, and all 3 knights dropped a moment later. Then we all melted the wizard.

2) Perhaps we finished the fight too quickly for the table mechanic to matter. I didn’t notice any timers or buffs/debuffs, but it literally was over in about 30 seconds.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, October 17, 2018, 22:36 (2011 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I do not understand. We were all 380+ to 390+ and it took 30 minutes. Please describe what the heck you were doing that you could burn any of the enemies in the final room quickly. What class? What power level? What weapons?

What you describe sounds completely impossible to me. Not that I don't believe you. But it was so massively beyond my experience that I can't even imagine what you might have been doing.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, October 17, 2018, 23:37 (2011 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I do not understand. We were all 380+ to 390+ and it took 30 minutes. Please describe what the heck you were doing that you could burn any of the enemies in the final room quickly. What class? What power level? What weapons?

What you describe sounds completely impossible to me. Not that I don't believe you. But it was so massively beyond my experience that I can't even imagine what you might have been doing.

We had 2 Shadowshot Hunters and I was using my Solar Titan. I was ~595, the other two were close to 590. I was using Sleeper and the IKELOS Shotgun, I believe both my teammates also had IKELOS shotguns. If I remember correctly, both of them were using Wish Ender in their primary slots at this time, so they’d equipped rocket or grenade launchers in their heavy slots. I never asked, but I do remember seeing some explosions during the battle.

I reached the boss room ahead of the other 2... one of them said “just start the fight and it will pull us forward to you.

I ran in and shoulder-charged one of the Knights, then unloaded my shotgun into it. One of my teammates spawned in behind me at about that time and fired a tether into the crowd of Knights. I activated my super and began blasting the group. With my last hammer, I killed the Knight that I had initially attacked. The other 2 had managed to pin my teammates at the entrance of the room, and killed both of them, with my teammates killing a 2nd Knight as they were taken down. I was able to finish off the 3rd Knight, res my one teammate, then I turned towards the wizard that was now moving around and I began hitting it with Sleeper. My other teammate revived our remaining fallen partner, and all 3 of us just crushed the wizard with a mixture of Sleeper, a few rockets, and shotguns.

I do wish I’d recorded a video of it, because I’d love to look back and get a better understanding of what exactly we did. We didn’t plan anything. It was our first attempt, and we just kinda smashed through it. I’d attempted the battle once before, 3 weeks ago when I was so underlevelled that the Knights were 1-shot killing me. So I’d never even seen the 2nd half of the fight before.

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Thursday, October 18, 2018, 00:30 (2011 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

We had 2 Shadowshot Hunters and I was using my Solar Titan. I was ~595, the other two were close to 590. I was using Sleeper and the IKELOS Shotgun, I believe both my teammates also had IKELOS shotguns. If I remember correctly, both of them were using Wish Ender in their primary slots at this time, so they’d equipped rocket or grenade launchers in their heavy slots. I never asked, but I do remember seeing some explosions during the battle.

I reached the boss room ahead of the other 2... one of them said “just start the fight and it will pull us forward to you.

I ran in and shoulder-charged one of the Knights, then unloaded my shotgun into it. One of my teammates spawned in behind me at about that time and fired a tether into the crowd of Knights. I activated my super and began blasting the group. With my last hammer, I killed the Knight that I had initially attacked. The other 2 had managed to pin my teammates at the entrance of the room, and killed both of them, with my teammates killing a 2nd Knight as they were taken down. I was able to finish off the 3rd Knight, res my one teammate, then I turned towards the wizard that was now moving around and I began hitting it with Sleeper. My other teammate revived our remaining fallen partner, and all 3 of us just crushed the wizard with a mixture of Sleeper, a few rockets, and shotguns.

I do wish I’d recorded a video of it, because I’d love to look back and get a better understanding of what exactly we did. We didn’t plan anything. It was our first attempt, and we just kinda smashed through it. I’d attempted the battle once before, 3 weeks ago when I was so underlevelled that the Knights were 1-shot killing me. So I’d never even seen the 2nd half of the fight before.

Ours went a little slower, but we still never had to worry about the debuff. In fact, we noticed it at the end, and thought it was just what enabled us to damage the wizard. I didn't even realize it was counting down. Here's our successful run if anyone wants to take a look at it.

Also, I just noticed how close I came to missing out on that 2nd Queen's Bounty for finishing the Shattered Throne while ascended and wearing full Reverie Dawn armor. It was definitely gone by the time we were transported back to the Dreaming City and may have been gone by the time I checked my inventory to look at the rewards. I might have only been 90 seconds away from screwing up that bounty :p

-Disciple

by TheeChaos @, Thursday, October 18, 2018, 06:42 (2011 days ago) @ Ragashingo

IIRC you want to bring the nights down close to the same time to stack the buffs. So get them low then kill them all at once. With all those stacks, people haev been able to 1 phase her with Whisper/Celestial Nighthawk.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, October 18, 2018, 08:30 (2011 days ago) @ TheeChaos

Heh. Now I feel both clueless and wildly innovative!

Our "method" was to:

1. Run around in terror as we desperately tried to kill Psions while avoiding the Knights
2. Once the Psions were clear, kill a single Knight
3. Kill the crystal and DPS the boss... doing maybe 1/10th damage
4. Before the buff timer runs out, have each of us jump off the edge in turn so that being revived clears the buff.
5. GOTO: 1

This whole "hey, dummies, the buff stacks" method seems a lot easier... but again, less innovative. :)

by TheeChaos @, Thursday, October 18, 2018, 09:49 (2011 days ago) @ Ragashingo

This whole "hey, dummies, the buff stacks" method seems a lot easier... but again, less innovative. :)

I didn't call you guys dummies! I definitely did not figure it out by myself. Also I need to reread what I type. SO MANY DAMN TYPOS...

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, October 18, 2018, 10:38 (2010 days ago) @ TheeChaos

I didn't call you guys dummies!

Yeah... That was just me. :)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, October 20, 2018, 08:41 (2009 days ago) @ Ragashingo
edited by Ragashingo, Saturday, October 20, 2018, 08:56

Heh. Now I feel both clueless and wildly innovative!

Our "method" was to:

1. Run around in terror as we desperately tried to kill Psions while avoiding the Knights
2. Once the Psions were clear, kill a single Knight
3. Kill the crystal and DPS the boss... doing maybe 1/10th damage
4. Before the buff timer runs out, have each of us jump off the edge in turn so that being revived clears the buff.
5. GOTO: 1

Ok, so while our final fight strategy was... innovative... our method of crossing the slow thrall zone during the final step of the Wish Ender quest was a lot of fun and very effective.

I just grabbed the orb and went to town punching every thrall in sight. And they exploded. And those explosions healed me and my allies as we trotted our way forward. And if a thrall ever did manage to melee me it died thanks to a high damage multiplier on my ACD/0 Feedback Fence. I think what was happening was as a Code of the Commander Titan, my melee was never used up because I was hitting enemies with the orb which was still activating my charged melee perks. Explosions and healing.

I suppose I can never actually do it that way again, but it turned a nightmare of a crossing into one of my most Titan moments ever! :)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, October 18, 2018, 08:43 (2011 days ago) @ TheeChaos

IIRC you want to bring the nights down close to the same time to stack the buffs. So get them low then kill them all at once. With all those stacks, people haev been able to 1 phase her with Whisper/Celestial Nighthawk.

That would explain why my group was able to go straight through without worrying about it. All 3 Knights died at roughly the same time.

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Thursday, October 18, 2018, 14:40 (2010 days ago) @ TheeChaos

That's what we did. Once all the knights were low I just popped my super and we wiped them out. Then killed the boss instantly.

Shattered Throne Solo/Flawless [video]

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, October 19, 2018, 08:04 (2010 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

... on all 3 characters, back-to-back. Holy cow.

I actually found watching him get through the boss fights particularly helpful.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread