Super OT, a chat with one of the fathers of the internet (Off-Topic)

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, October 26, 2018, 17:31 (1999 days ago)

Last night my partner moderated a fireside chat with Vint Cerf, co-designer of TCP/IP. (event link)

He was absolutely fascinating and his responses on everything from blockchain to the galactic internet was like a scene from a relatively dry sci-fi book. And I mean that in the best way possible.

While he described the challenges of setting up a galactic internet, I was chuckling to myself thinking about how amazing the golden age tech is, that comms channels are so efficient and responsive across the solar system. It appears that during the golden age they figured out how to transmit data faster than light (and ships...).

He recounted the history of the effort to setup a galactic internet and mentioned how landers, after their missions are complete, would serve as nodes of that network. And I don't know, it just sounded so damn cool. Like this isn't wizards from the moon, but it's very well the foundation of a future network that would connect earth's internet to mars's internet.

I really appreciate the work Bungie put into providing some grounding in reality with these locations. Hearing someone talk about these concepts and picturing the facility on the moon gets one all misty eyed.

Oh and he was pretty funny.

Super OT, a chat with one of the fathers of the internet

by Claude Errera @, Friday, October 26, 2018, 22:18 (1998 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I'm totally thrilled that this talk was filmed, and is watchable. (Here, to save anyone who wants to see it a few seconds.)

I started it, but it's already been a long evening - will watch the rest tomorrow. Thanks for linking this!

(Cerf is a hero of mine, has been for decades.)

Very cool!

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Monday, October 29, 2018, 14:05 (1996 days ago) @ kidtsunami

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread