Whether we wanted it or not... (Destiny)

by EffortlessFury @, Sunday, November 18, 2018, 13:09 (1979 days ago)

...we got what we deserved. Pack it up internet.

I need an explanation.

by Funkmon @, Sunday, November 18, 2018, 17:55 (1978 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

- No text -

+1

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, November 18, 2018, 18:03 (1978 days ago) @ Funkmon

Am I supppsed to know who that is?

+1

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Sunday, November 18, 2018, 18:06 (1978 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Some stupid meme thing, he pops up in video game videos everywhere; I just ignore them.

+1

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Monday, November 19, 2018, 04:24 (1978 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Am I supppsed to know who that is?

Ted Baxter?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, November 18, 2018, 21:21 (1978 days ago) @ Funkmon

The internet is stupid

by Funkmon @, Sunday, November 18, 2018, 22:57 (1978 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

And you're immature

by EffortlessFury @, Monday, November 19, 2018, 08:00 (1978 days ago) @ Funkmon

Just because you don't like something doesn't mean other's are stupid for liking it.

And you're immature

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, November 19, 2018, 09:47 (1978 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

Just because you don't like something doesn't mean other's are stupid for liking it.

And you probably shouldn't reinterpret a simple statement and then treat is as literal. Especially when the original statement came from Funkmon... Also, leading with an insult is also not especially nice and is a sign of immaturity.

And you're immature

by EffortlessFury @, Monday, November 19, 2018, 09:53 (1978 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

And you probably shouldn't reinterpret a simple statement and then treat is as literal. Especially when the original statement came from Funkmon... Also, leading with an insult is also not especially nice and is a sign of immaturity.

Reinterpret? Everyone interprets, that's how communication works. Why shouldn't I treat it as literal? I think it makes as much sense to treat it literally as it does to not treat it literally; this, however, irked me.

I also did consider the fact that I was being sharp and a bit rude but I decided to do so anyway as I was responding in kind with that which was given.

Honestly, he could've been joking, and that's fine. I responded to highlight that it didn't come across that way. Up to him whether he wants to reconsider how he phrases things.

I, personally, find this particular meme to be chuckleworthy almost every time I see it. It brings me joy. I do not appreciate the connotative connection between that joy and stupidity.

And you're immature

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, November 19, 2018, 10:13 (1978 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

Reinterpret? Everyone interprets, that's how communication works. Why shouldn't I treat it as literal? I think it makes as much sense to treat it literally as it does to not treat it literally; this, however, irked me.

I also did consider the fact that I was being sharp and a bit rude but I decided to do so anyway as I was responding in kind with that which was given.

Honestly, he could've been joking, and that's fine. I responded to highlight that it didn't come across that way. Up to him whether he wants to reconsider how he phrases things.

The reason I replied is to say that you are insulting a single person based on your interpretation of a sentence that may or may not have been an insult directed at a group of people.

I personally don't like directed attacks on people. But I also don't know if Funkmon is doing that. From his history, I would say no. I do however know that you have. I'm just trying to point out that people can defend themselves and what they like without directly attacking someones character.

I, personally, find this particular meme to be chuckleworthy almost every time I see it. It brings me joy. I do not appreciate the connotative connection between that joy and stupidity.

This sentence would have been a great reply to Funkmons statement without the subject line. It doesn't assume he is insulting anyone, but if he is, it clearly states that you don't appreciate the insult. Isn't that better than starting with an insult even if you aren't sure if it's warranted?

[edit]
I just want to clarify, I just want us all to be better at defending what we like without insulting each other. If Funkmon is trying to be insulting, I'm right behind you.

I hate you in particular.

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, November 20, 2018, 01:16 (1977 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV
edited by Funkmon, Tuesday, November 20, 2018, 01:22

And the bands you like are awful.

Also Apple sucks.

And so do numbers that are multiples of 7.

Let's fight in real life.

And you're immature

by cheapLEY @, Monday, November 19, 2018, 11:01 (1978 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

It’s okay to like stupid things. This meme (all memes) are almost inherently stupid. That doesn’t mean they aren’t funny or worth having around.

And you're immature

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Monday, November 19, 2018, 13:01 (1978 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by ManKitten, Monday, November 19, 2018, 13:08

It’s okay to like stupid things.

...it's the only reason I'm still welcome* around here :P

*allowed

And you're immature

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, November 20, 2018, 14:21 (1977 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

Something I've been thinking about for a while is what I call the IRL effect. Meeting someone in real life affects how I read their words on the forum. In this case, it's to your and Funkmon's benefit. :)

There is this game, Destiny...

by CougRon, Auburn, WA, USA, Monday, November 19, 2018, 09:18 (1978 days ago) @ Funkmon

Perhaps you’ve heard of it? There are these game levels called strikes that you can choose to play. This speech is part of the introduction on one of these strikes. For whatever reason (its the internet) there is a large contingent that find this amusing. Perhaps you know somebody who finds inane things entertaining. Some of these people also find great amusement in getting this intro in different places and things and so they have gotten this guy some how to recite it in front of a video camera resulting in this video and now someone has shared it wher you can see it.

by Chappy, Arlington, VA., Monday, November 19, 2018, 11:52 (1978 days ago) @ CougRon

BTW, "this guy" is VoiceoverPete, who is himself a meme. He does voice-over work professionally, and his popularly among gamers blew up after a Fortnite video that he worked for went viral. He's since done a lot of other gaming-related videos, so this is a meme inside a meme.

by CougRon, Auburn, WA, USA, Monday, November 19, 2018, 17:37 (1977 days ago) @ Chappy

Never heard of him

by cheapLEY @, Monday, November 19, 2018, 17:52 (1977 days ago) @ CougRon

Never heard of him

That's the point. Neither had I, or Funkmon. Without the context of who that is, this isn't really anything--it's just some disphit saying a video game thing (I'm using dipshit as a generalization here, not as a cutdown for this dude).

Even with the context of who this is, it's still not all that funny or interesting. We're well past the point where there's any horse left to beat on this particular joke. Get Jeff Goldblum to read it and maybe I'll be back in. (:

Don't let me rain on the parade, though--more power to anyone who thinks this is great. Lord knows I enjoy plenty of asinine horseshit.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, November 19, 2018, 22:31 (1977 days ago) @ cheapLEY

We're well past the point where there's any horse left to beat on this particular joke.

Disagree. The only reason it was ever funny was because we'd already listened to the same monologue a thousand times, so we'd all groan whenever we had to hear it again. The worse it gets, the funnier it is.

What do you think the greatest gift is? Internet?

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, November 20, 2018, 01:21 (1977 days ago) @ stabbim

I agree with this to an extent. Everyone's got their limits though!

With CougRon's excellent explanation, I am mildly amused.

Related:

I preferred Ellen Feiss

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, November 20, 2018, 09:56 (1977 days ago) @ Funkmon

The eternal question: high or directed to act high?

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, November 20, 2018, 11:29 (1977 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

I'd completely forgotten about her.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, November 20, 2018, 13:42 (1977 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Explanation

by electricpirate @, Sunday, November 18, 2018, 23:10 (1978 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

heh

by CougRon, Auburn, WA, USA, Monday, November 19, 2018, 08:37 (1978 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

- No text -

Whether we wanted it or not...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, November 20, 2018, 09:51 (1977 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

...we got what we deserved. Pack it up internet.

It's a fun video, but it would have been funnier months ago, Voiceover Dan is old hat now.

But Destiny memes are at a seasonal high! Sell now!

[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]

More like hoard for the eventual collapse. Value in scarcity

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, November 20, 2018, 11:11 (1977 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread