Looking for Crazy Xbox Raiders (Destiny)

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Thursday, November 29, 2018, 10:52 (1967 days ago)

I want to try something really dumb for this upcoming raid. I'd like to grind like mad for the three days between the launch of the Season of the Forge and the start of the new raid and attempt a blind run of the new raid on the evening of the launch day (and possibly continue through the weekend). Since the level jump from the current max to the new max is only 50 levels, I'm thinking this could be totally doable even for people who don't make a living playing Destiny.

If anyone's interested, we can try to team up to level as a group through the week and jump into the raid as early as 5PM Central on Friday evening. Once we're in, I want to keep at it until we're done or falling asleep at the controls :p

-Disciple

You're insane.

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, November 29, 2018, 11:07 (1967 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

I want to try something really dumb for this upcoming raid. I'd like to grind like mad for the three days between the launch of the Season of the Forge and the start of the new raid and attempt a blind run of the new raid on the evening of the launch day (and possibly continue through the weekend). Since the level jump from the current max to the new max is only 50 levels, I'm thinking this could be totally doable even for people who don't make a living playing Destiny.

If anyone's interested, we can try to team up to level as a group through the week and jump into the raid as early as 5PM Central on Friday evening. Once we're in, I want to keep at it until we're done or falling asleep at the controls :p

-Disciple

That actually sounds like fun. ;)

Unfortunately, I won't be near an Xbox between 12/4 and 12/7, so I'm out... but if I were around, I'd DEFINITELY join you. Because I'm a little nuts, too.

+1

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Thursday, November 29, 2018, 11:24 (1967 days ago) @ Claude Errera

That actually sounds like fun. ;)

Unfortunately, I won't be near an Xbox between 12/4 and 12/7, so I'm out... but if I were around, I'd DEFINITELY join you. Because I'm a little nuts, too.

We'll have to hope things will work out for Season 6, then :p

-Disciple

Uh... Aeh-HEM!

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, November 29, 2018, 11:33 (1967 days ago) @ Claude Errera

No. He's right. You crazy. XD

...sounds fun.

Uh... Aeh-HEM!

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Thursday, November 29, 2018, 12:12 (1967 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

No. He's right. You crazy. XD

...sounds fun.

Fun enough to give it a try? ;)

-Disciple

Looking for Crazy Xbox Raiders

by Dame117 @, Missouri, Thursday, November 29, 2018, 12:26 (1967 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

I can't join you, but I will be cheering for you! :)

Please post updates on your group's progress

Will do!

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Thursday, November 29, 2018, 12:41 (1967 days ago) @ Dame117

I also plan on streaming everything on Twitch (Mixer will only keep the videos up for two weeks at a time). Hopefully some of the other raiders (if there are any) will stream as well. When we were tackling Last Wish, I had Cheapley's stream up on another screen and it was pretty handy to be able to glance over and see his perspective when we were filling different roles!

-Disciple

I'm in.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, November 29, 2018, 12:58 (1967 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k
edited by cheapLEY, Thursday, November 29, 2018, 13:27

I am willing to commit to grinding like crazy, sure. But I’m only just at 580, so I’m working from a deficit to start with.

I'll try to get that Saturday off so we can start earlier than 5pm central.

I guess I would just say that my caveat is that I'll play until the reset the following Tuesday, but then after that, I'm out so I can just enjoy the rest of the content. I think that should be enough if we can get a full weekend in.

I'm in.

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Thursday, November 29, 2018, 15:55 (1966 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I am willing to commit to grinding like crazy, sure. But I’m only just at 580, so I’m working from a deficit to start with.

Let me know if you want a hand knocking out any of the milestones this week to bump that up a bit before the reset.

I guess I would just say that my caveat is that I'll play until the reset the following Tuesday, but then after that, I'm out so I can just enjoy the rest of the content. I think that should be enough if we can get a full weekend in.

Sounds fair. Hopefully this will be doable at whatever power levels we reach by start time.

-Disciple

I'm in.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, November 29, 2018, 20:37 (1966 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

Let me know if you want a hand knocking out any of the milestones this week to bump that up a bit before the reset.

I'll be going hard this weekend, I think. I've knocked out a few yesterday and today. I was higher than I thought. I can just hit 590 right now. I still have all my Gambit and Crucible milestones to do, and a high score Nightfall. And I haven't touched the Dreaming City yet this week. If I get the right drops I can still climb a fair bit.

Sounds fair. Hopefully this will be doable at whatever power levels we reach by start time.

I'm not opposed to stretching over the reset if we're close. My thoughts were more that I'm not committing to the multi-week ordeal our Last Wish run was. I'm glad we did it and stuck with it--it was fun! We had a good crew that I like playing with. I just will not do a blind raid over that long of a time frame, again, I think. I didn't like having that hanging over my head for that long, especially at the expense of missing out on enjoying other content.

I'm with Kermit, in that, ideally, I'd like to be able to hit it hard for a good weekend. I think Kermit is much more inclined to keep going until he's seen the entire thing blind, but I'm pretty content to give it a really good try and just get as far as we get. Trying to line up schedules beyond that initial push is just too much of a pain.

I'm in.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, November 30, 2018, 07:55 (1966 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I'll be going hard this weekend, I think. I've knocked out a few yesterday and today. I was higher than I thought. I can just hit 590 right now. I still have all my Gambit and Crucible milestones to do, and a high score Nightfall. And I haven't touched the Dreaming City yet this week. If I get the right drops I can still climb a fair bit.

I'm not opposed to stretching over the reset if we're close. My thoughts were more that I'm not committing to the multi-week ordeal our Last Wish run was. I'm glad we did it and stuck with it--it was fun! We had a good crew that I like playing with. I just will not do a blind raid over that long of a time frame, again, I think. I didn't like having that hanging over my head for that long, especially at the expense of missing out on enjoying other content.

I'm with Kermit, in that, ideally, I'd like to be able to hit it hard for a good weekend. I think Kermit is much more inclined to keep going until he's seen the entire thing blind, but I'm pretty content to give it a really good try and just get as far as we get. Trying to line up schedules beyond that initial push is just too much of a pain.

Speaking for myself and my blind raid team, it did feel a bit of a slog after a while. I'm hoping the next one will be difficult but not so much of wading through a swamp.

+1

by breitzen @, Kansas, Friday, November 30, 2018, 11:30 (1966 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Speaking for myself and my blind raid team, it did feel a bit of a slog after a while. I'm hoping the next one will be difficult but not so much of wading through a swamp.

By the time we even got to the final section Riven's Heart, I was so worn out.

I definitely want to keep blind raiding, but not at the expense of my mental health. We'll see how the next couple go.

I'm in.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, November 30, 2018, 11:21 (1966 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Not when people have the time. The problem last time was that all six of us rarely had the time. Our first weekend was much, much shorter than I would've preferred. I believe that if we'd had time for extended sessions we would have been done within two resets, max. I never dreamed we'd go seven weeks or whatever it was.

Couldn't have been foreseen, and it was what it was. I had a great time--was definitely one of the best blind raiding experiences I've had (except finding time every week).

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, November 29, 2018, 12:59 (1967 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

I'll get the most important question out of the way: you are intending this team to be blind, yes?

If so, we're on the same page, Disciple. I'd rather jump in as soon as possible and go for as long as possible (in as few sittings as possible) to finish. That's always been my preference, but finding people with the flexibility or willingness to do such a thing has been difficult.

Could you coach me as far as leveling goes? I frankly was confused about the Robot Chickens/Disciple method from last release--I probably didn't spend the time necessary (for me) to understand what you guys were saying.

What should I do before Tuesday? I'm willing to get on early and stay up late (or later than normal) weeknights next week, and I might even take at least part of Friday off. It's a short-term sacrifice of real life that honestly I prefer over six weeks of stress trying to find a few hours here and there when everyone can play.

Power Leveling (this week and next)

by Chappy, Arlington, VA., Thursday, November 29, 2018, 14:08 (1967 days ago) @ Kermit

Could you coach me as far as leveling goes?... What should I do before Tuesday?

Borrowing from this:

For all characters this week:

• Do the Gambit weekly, but don't turn it in
  • Do the orange Spider bounty, but don't turn it in
  • Do the raid challenge, but don't turn it in
  • Get an ethereal key from Riven, but don't use it
  • Do any Exotic Quests you still have available (e.g. Chaperone), but don't turn them in
  • Get close to major rank ups for Valor, Glory and Infamy
  • Don't do any daily challenges after Saturday
  • Complete (or progress) the new pinnacle weapon quests, but don't turn them in

When the new content is released, grind public events and lost sectors (nothing powerful) until you hit the new soft cap via rare (blue) drops.

Then you can start to complete (and/or turn in) powerful reward activities and bounties. Unknown at this time what the optimum strategy for that will be, but assuming that things work similarly to Season 4, you'll want to balance +5 rewards with +1 rewards to evenly grow your light level across all slots.

If you have 3 characters, do this with your tertiary character first. Once that character has reached max power and no more powerful rewards are available that week, start again with your secondary character - they'll begin with the highest light weapons left over from the first character, so they should be able to gain more light. Finally, do it all again with your main character so they have the highest light possible (by your Friday start time).

Good luck!

-Chappy

holy crap this sounds unfun. :(

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, November 29, 2018, 14:20 (1967 days ago) @ Chappy

SInce I'm not around for the first week of the new content, I think I'll just play, and level up as I level up.

This min-maxing stuff sounds... unpleasant. :(

Nah. We're just prioritizing the fun :)

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Thursday, November 29, 2018, 15:46 (1966 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I'm still going to be doing things I enjoy doing, I'll just have a specific plan laid out to get the most out my time. And making the plan is half the fun--at least, it is when I'm at work with absolutely nothing going on for hours at a time.

But seriously, who doesn't love a good spreadsheet?! :p

-Disciple

Speaking of which, I have since upgraded it to include cap

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, November 29, 2018, 18:13 (1966 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

What's the best way to share it?

Use the Aux tab to change the hard cap.

It made a LOT of difference once I hit 590, since T3 engrams weren't dropping above 600 as the sheet predicted. Also made a lot of difference for my alts.

New Info regarding leveling from the THAB

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, November 29, 2018, 14:58 (1967 days ago) @ Chappy

The soft cap is not moving. So the grind is going to be real, there will be no easy "grind public events until the soft cap" this time around.

If you're already at 600, saving up those bounties with powerful rewards is still the way to go. But for folks not at the cap yet, you'd be better off to just turn them in.

Clarification Question

by squidnh3, Friday, November 30, 2018, 08:41 (1966 days ago) @ Chappy

[*]Don't do any daily challenges after Saturday

What is the exact time after which I should stop doing daily challenges? Reset on Saturday? I'm trying to figure out when I need to complete the weeklies I'm saving for next week by.

Answer

by squidnh3, Friday, November 30, 2018, 15:36 (1965 days ago) @ squidnh3

According to this: www.destinyreset.net , you shouldn't play Vanguard strikes after the reset tomorrow (Saturday), you shouldn't play Gambit after reset on Sunday, and you shouldn't do Crucible or a Herioc Adventure after reset on Monday.

One more prep item to add to the list

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Sunday, December 02, 2018, 17:40 (1963 days ago) @ Chappy

I just noticed that completed Flashpoint rewards carry over. I've currently got one waiting for me in the EDZ that I forgot to pick up at some point. So I guess I'll be knocking out the Titan flashpoint on all three characters tonight so I can grab the rewards next week.

-Disciple

My ridiculous power-leveling plan

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Thursday, November 29, 2018, 14:12 (1967 days ago) @ Kermit
edited by DiscipleN2k, Thursday, November 29, 2018, 14:17

I'll get the most important question out of the way: you are intending this team to be blind, yes?

Definitely!

If so, we're on the same page, Disciple. I'd rather jump in as soon as possible and go for as long as possible (in as few sittings as possible) to finish. That's always been my preference, but finding people with the flexibility or willingness to do such a thing has been difficult.

Could you coach me as far as leveling goes? I frankly was confused about the Robot Chickens/Disciple method from last release--I probably didn't spend the time necessary (for me) to understand what you guys were saying.

It was mostly just trying to make an educated guess at which type of activity was most likely to provide the most beneficial reward. I think Bluerunner took the exact opposite approach I did and leveled at pretty much the same rate :p

What should I do before Tuesday? I'm willing to get on early and stay up late (or later than normal) weeknights next week, and I might even take at least part of Friday off. It's a short-term sacrifice of real life that honestly I prefer over six weeks of stress trying to find a few hours here and there when everyone can play.

Edit: Chappy's plan is more thorough and easier to read. Use his instead :p

I'm not 100% sure on what vendors will be giving what level of rewards next week, but my goal for this weekend is to have milestones completed but not claimed wherever possible (I can pretty much guarantee they'll be at the current level cap and not the new one, but it's worth a shot) and to have things ready to be completed as soon as I jump in on Tuesday. Off the top of my head, I know I'll be making sure I've got 5K XP worth of clan bounties, eight Dreaming City bounties, and enough other random bounties completed to hit the 20 required for Ikora's weekly reward.

I'm really hoping to have that ready to go on all three characters so that on Tuesday I can turn in everything (AFTER picking up that Dreaming City bounty for turning in 8 other bounties--don't want to screw that up again), knock out the easiest daily milestones and hopefully roll into any new missions/activities (providing they promise powerful rewards) pretty quickly.

The goal for me will be to knock out nearly every possible powerful reward milestone for my Warlock on Tuesday, then knock out dailies on my Titan and Hunter before bed. Wednesday I'll pick up any new dailies on my Warlock, then do all of the rewards on my Titan and wrap up the day with any new dailies on my Hunter. Finally on Thursday, I'll do the new dailies on my Warlock, then Titan, then Hunter and then hopefully get through all of the other available rewards which, ideally, should push my Hunter to the highest power level of the three (unless I get REALLY unlucky with my rewards). Depending on how all of that goes, I'll either use any time I have on Friday between getting home from work and raid start time to either knock out any new dailies that have popped up (I really should have paid closer attention to how these are renewed during the week), or take a nap--whichever looks like it would be most beneficial to my raiding ability :p

-Disciple

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, November 29, 2018, 13:11 (1967 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

I plan on taking next Friday off. I want to do this. Hopefully I can grind out enough during the week.

Rock on!

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Thursday, November 29, 2018, 15:47 (1966 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

by squidnh3, Thursday, November 29, 2018, 13:35 (1967 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

I will do my best to be leveled, but hey I did say I like blind raids better underleveled.

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Thursday, November 29, 2018, 14:25 (1967 days ago) @ squidnh3

I will do my best to be leveled, but hey I did say I like blind raids better underleveled.

I mean, I can see the appeal when you're good enough to tackle this stuff underleveled. I am definitely not at that skill level though, so I've got to make it up with power level :p

-Disciple

Alright... so we crazy. Now let's go for broke. BONKERS!

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, November 29, 2018, 13:42 (1967 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

Let's go for World First!

...lol.

Alright... so we crazy. Now let's go for broke. BONKERS!

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Thursday, November 29, 2018, 15:50 (1966 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Let's go for World First!

...lol.

Easy peasy :p

You guys are awesome!

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Friday, November 30, 2018, 08:31 (1966 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

I was totally prepared to get zero response to this request. This approach--blasting through new content to jump straight into hardcore grinding--feels like the opposite of the way I thought most everyone preferred to play. If you signed up because this is totally what you're into, then I'm glad to have you on board. If this really isn't the way you like to do things but you signed up anyway, then I hope we can make it fun and it turns out to be worth the effort in the end!

Speaking of "not how we like to play," I've ALWAYS gone through new content solo, in Destiny and every other game I've ever played, but I guess it's time to make an exception. Leveling will be way faster and easier if we do things as a group, so I'm setting up FTB events for Tuesday, Wednesday, & Thursday so we can team up, knock stuff out and still get a reasonable amount of sleep. The start times are just going to be set for the earliest I'm available, but if you post your preferred start time, we can split teams based on that. We may just end up with an Eastern/Central team and a Mountain/Pacific team :p

Also, I know Cheapley mentioned needing a few more light levels before things kick off on Tuesday and there may be some others that haven't hit the current max yet, so if anyone's interested, we could try to plan a quick raid/nightfall night for Sunday and/or Monday.

-Disciple

You guys are awesome!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, November 30, 2018, 11:03 (1966 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

I was totally prepared to get zero response to this request. This approach--blasting through new content to jump straight into hardcore grinding--feels like the opposite of the way I thought most everyone preferred to play. If you signed up because this is totally what you're into, then I'm glad to have you on board. If this really isn't the way you like to do things but you signed up anyway, then I hope we can make it fun and it turns out to be worth the effort in the end!

Speaking of "not how we like to play," I've ALWAYS gone through new content solo, in Destiny and every other game I've ever played, but I guess it's time to make an exception. Leveling will be way faster and easier if we do things as a group, so I'm setting up FTB events for Tuesday, Wednesday, & Thursday so we can team up, knock stuff out and still get a reasonable amount of sleep. The start times are just going to be set for the earliest I'm available, but if you post your preferred start time, we can split teams based on that. We may just end up with an Eastern/Central team and a Mountain/Pacific team :p

Also, I know Cheapley mentioned needing a few more light levels before things kick off on Tuesday and there may be some others that haven't hit the current max yet, so if anyone's interested, we could try to plan a quick raid/nightfall night for Sunday and/or Monday.

-Disciple

I signed up. I'll post the times when I'm available to start closer to then. I might be able to play as early as 6 EST on some nights, but I should be able to be on by 7 most of the time. A few notes:

1) I, too, am accustomed to playing my first play-through solo, and you can count on me to be respectful of that, and try not to interfere with the experience of the content by talking over dialogue, skipping cutscenes (an obscenity!) or being unwilling to explore if we want. This won't be the time for me to ramble on about that jerk who cut me off in traffic on the way home. I'll be there to play Destiny and savor the new.

2) I will have only one character. I don't know how this will affect leveling but I thought I'd mention it.

You guys are awesome!

by cheapLEY @, Friday, November 30, 2018, 21:09 (1965 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

I'm currently at 591. I still have both Gambit milestones, both Crucible milestones, the score threshold Nightfall, and raid stuff to do for Powerful drops. I'll be knocking the easy stuff out this weekend and see how close to 600 I can get.

Crazy Blind Raiders READ

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, November 30, 2018, 11:25 (1966 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

People who signed up for next Friday, clear as much of the weekend as you can, and post your availability on Disciple's event when you can.

He asked for that, but I noticed that few have yet.

Oh, yeah! Thanks!

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Friday, November 30, 2018, 12:08 (1966 days ago) @ Kermit
edited by DiscipleN2k, Friday, November 30, 2018, 12:12

People who signed up for next Friday, clear as much of the weekend as you can, and post your availability on Disciple's event when you can.

I added that this morning and meant to mention it in my earlier post, but completely forgot. I hope it really is a smallish raid and we can knock it out in a day or two, but I would definitely like to have a plan to make as many additional attempts as possible before the reset.

-Disciple

Oh, yeah! Thanks!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, November 30, 2018, 14:49 (1966 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

I added that this morning and meant to mention it in my earlier post, but completely forgot. I hope it really is a smallish raid and we can knock it out in a day or two, but I would definitely like to have a plan to make as many additional attempts as possible before the reset.

-Disciple

Yeah, didn't mean to be presumptuous about your event, but it seemed worth calling attention to sooner than later.

Crazy Blind Raiders READ

by cheapLEY @, Friday, November 30, 2018, 12:21 (1966 days ago) @ Kermit

I’m working on getting Saturday off. Chances are good, but not certain. I’ll post here or use our Xbox group chat to let you know when I know for sure. I can maybe try to swing getting out of work an hour or two early on Friday, but I wouldn’t count on that.

I got Saturday off from work!

by cheapLEY @, Friday, November 30, 2018, 15:58 (1965 days ago) @ cheapLEY

So I’m free all weekend. Still working a full Friday, so it’ll be 7 central for my start time that evening.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread