SD2SNES Super fx suport (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, December 08, 2018, 09:41 (1938 days ago)

Hey remember my cool cart that takes SNES roms and lets you play them on a real SNES?

Remember how it didn't have SuperFX support yet? Well now it does. This means you can now play pretty much every rom on real hardware, besides maybe a few shitty Japanese games that nobody cares about that have weird chips in them.

Go back in time to when microtransactions and grinding wasn't a thing, and when the game came out you could play the new content right away!

I wonder how it works with a SuperNT

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Saturday, December 08, 2018, 12:01 (1937 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Have you played around with one? I'm really interested in your thoughts on it...

SuperNT site

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, December 08, 2018, 12:40 (1937 days ago) @ kidtsunami
edited by Cody Miller, Saturday, December 08, 2018, 12:44

Have you played around with one? I'm really interested in your thoughts on it...

SuperNT site

Skeptical for two reasons.

One is the price… I could buy five real SNES consoles for that.

Second is the 1080p output. That means it is upscaling the image. Does it have an analog unscaled output? These games were not meant to be seen on progressive LCD displays.

Send me a review unit and I’ll be happy to fully test it out :-p

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Saturday, December 08, 2018, 13:57 (1937 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I have one, and I love it. It's definitely not going to look exactly as it did on a CRT, but it's much better than the smoothing and filters that emulators normally apply. Here's the video I posted back when I got it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rRbs23Q7yo

I've played several games on it including fast-paced games like F-Zero and Mega-man and haven't noticed any issues in output or responsiveness. Try some youtube searches for Suepr NT and a game and you can usually find it to see what a game looks like on it.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, December 08, 2018, 15:01 (1937 days ago) @ Xenos

I have one, and I love it. It's definitely not going to look exactly as it did on a CRT, but it's much better than the smoothing and filters that emulators normally apply. Here's the video I posted back when I got it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rRbs23Q7yo

I've played several games on it including fast-paced games like F-Zero and Mega-man and haven't noticed any issues in output or responsiveness. Try some youtube searches for Suepr NT and a game and you can usually find it to see what a game looks like on it.

The pricing is just too insane for an experience that would only really match the original at best.

The NES version is almost 500 dollars! Again, you could buy a real NES and a great SD CRT TV for a fraction of that.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Saturday, December 08, 2018, 15:13 (1937 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The pricing is just too insane for an experience that would only really match the original at best.

The NES version is almost 500 dollars! Again, you could buy a real NES and a great SD CRT TV for a fraction of that.

Sure, I could, but in my specific case, I don't want to waste limited space in my apartment for a CRT TV to use for a single device. The extra price is worth it for me to be able to play on the TV I already own. It's definitely not for everyone, but it's absolutely worth it for my situation.

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, December 10, 2018, 10:42 (1936 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'm not necessarily trying to match the original.

If through some technical wizardry they approximate how the pixels blend together like they would on a CRT display, on a 60" TV, it definitely won't be the same as the CRT I had as a kid, but it may be awesome.

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Saturday, December 08, 2018, 14:02 (1937 days ago) @ Cody Miller

SuperNT site

Skeptical for two reasons.

One is the price… I could buy five real SNES consoles for that.

Second is the 1080p output. That means it is upscaling the image. Does it have an analog unscaled output? These games were not meant to be seen on progressive LCD displays.

Send me a review unit and I’ll be happy to fully test it out :-p

Haha I'll let you know when I pick one up. Waiting to re-acquire my SNES cartridges from friends and family before diving in.

re: 1080p output, it sounds like it has quite a few options for tweaking that, here from polygon's review.

The Super NT excels in its digital output, though, delivering a crisp 1080p image. It features an assortment of enhancements, delivered via a live, in-game menu that feels a bit like a time machine. Being able to pause a game, enter a menu that’s also running on what is effectively Super Nintendo hardware, and adjust the resolution, scanlines, scalers or aspect ratio, and then pop back into your game, is a treat. The Super NT is also designed to ameliorate the jump from analog to digital displays. There’s a gamma boost feature to help brighten the image once you’ve toggled the scanlines on, and a “pseudo-hi-res” feature to help simulate some of the ways CRTs affected images in games. The options can get you in the weeds pretty quickly, but trust that you can turn the thing on and, right out of the box, get an excellent experience. If you want to dial the knobs, it’s all there. But let’s go back to something that isn’t there.

Here's a video of someone exploring the options available:

Relevant meme

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, December 16, 2018, 13:22 (1929 days ago) @ Cody Miller

[image]

Relevant meme

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, December 17, 2018, 15:30 (1928 days ago) @ Cody Miller

[image]

it's interesting because technically a non-crt screen can produce the image on the right, it just needs to be processed properly.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread